The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up The Coolest

Who is the coolest character in LOTR? Why?
I think the witch-king, because nobody wants to mess with him (besides merry)
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Gandalf for me. I like his 'here's how I see the world situation now' talks. Very interesting explanatory style and dedication to the issues of M-e
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by coolest.

The Witch-king was, indeed, a powerful character but he wasn't very successful.
He built a kingdom in Angmar only to have it utterly destroyed.
He failed in his mission to find Baggins and take the Ring.
He backed down from Gandalf just because he heard the sound of horns blowing.
His army was beaten by a much smaller force on the Pellenor Field.
He was finished off by a four-foot tall midget and a woman.

He doesn't seem all that cool to me.

Last edited by Selmo; 05-23-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
I think either Gandalf, Gimli, Boromir or Legolas.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This is a topic that asks for opinions, not actual book discussion. I'm therefore moving the thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum, where similar threads are located. Please continue reading and posting there - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Surely the Snowmen of Forochel were by far the coolest.

Sorry. It had to be done.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I think the Witch-King was awesome. When I read about his failures, they seemed acceptable for the plot. He seemed equal to Gandalf, if not stronger, at his full power. Finally, the way he was killed could have actually happened to any character, especially if they were stabbed with a super-powered weapon made to destroy him and leave him as no more than a column of sand.

The Witch-King was cooler than Sauron anyway. He just seemed more real.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I agree with Ang.

The descendants of the greatest race of men have their (disputed) High King sucking up to them and giving them free bling and other expensive stuff.

Their metorology and shipmanship surpassed that of the elves, and their wisdom supassed that of the Dunedain. (Boat + Bergs = Under the Sea)

Even though they were afraid of the WK melting snow, the WK never actually comes in contact with them. Perhaps he is afraid when he melts the snow it will become water?

In some accounts, Morgoth was the first of the Valar to discover Ice. In one story, the tower of Helcar (which held Illuin) was made of ice, and it melted because of the heat of the Lamps. However, Ice held no swar over the SNowmen, they "mastered" snow and ice.

If the least of dragons could tear apart a dwarf, the Lossoth were brave enough to stay within a days of any dragons flight.

Quote:
'...house in the snow, and it is said that they can run on the ice with bones on their feet, and have carts without wheels.'
How awsome is that. They economize by using snow and ice, a truly indiginous, hardy people.

I mean come on, they need to have a music video or something.
________
SUBARU PLEO

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

What's cool about boasting to a girl about how she's no match for you only for her to immediately cut you down to size? Nothing, that's what. He's an egomaniacal jerk, nothing more.

While Elu makes a very convincing case for the Snowmen, I must say that no one character seems much cooler than Bilbo Baggins himself. All he does is sit about writing and smoking all day. That beatnik spirit is alive and well in this one! No doubt, that is cool.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Actually, if it weren't for a near-undetectable hobbit and a super-powered blade, the Witch-King would have turned Eyown's skull into fragments and her brain would be mush.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Surely the Snowmen of Forochel were by far the coolest.

Sorry. It had to be done.
Did they say "Great minds think similar(ly)?" It was Elenwë I had in mind. Surely she's cooler.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

That's what all guys say. Like when little boys are mocking little girls at football or other sports, and when the girls actually beat them, 'Oh, it's not fair! They cheated!'

An exact parallel.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would have to say Tom Bombadil is definately the coolest!! Come on now we still don't even know who he is!! Oh and Goldberry is cool in her own right too.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Narya Merry is a coward. Yeah, I said it.

Thank you, The 1,000 reader. Eowyn would be but a memory if Merry had not attacked the Witch King from behind like a COWARD. Yes, I said it: coward.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Witch-King ran away from Glorfindel like a coward.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #16
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

I admit it, Eomer of the Rohirrim. You are smarter than I. But you cant deny that the Witch King's helm is the #1 coolest piece of armor ever to be donned by anything. Am I right, or am I right?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Witch-King. I think he's a mighty role-model, and such drive and determination can never be a bad thing.

Ninja, I get the feeling you would have loved the Survivor games that took place a while back. Have a look through the Mirth forum to find them.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #18
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Witch-King...well you know what I say about him?...Meh! That's right meh. He's done nothing for nobody and not even good at that. Also this Bilbo you all rant about, I hate to think of this argument again but really what did he actually do other than stumble across the ring by mere happenstance. He got in the way where ever he went and overstayed his welcome in Rivendell.

Sam is the way for me.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #19
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bloody Hell, people! In what way is Bilbo cool? That blundering boghead became famous by mere chance! Or was it fate...?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #20
Letty
Animated Skeleton

Letty has just left Hobbiton.
Gandalf,Legolas,Aragorn
Letty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #21
Letty
Animated Skeleton

Letty has just left Hobbiton.
And Arwen,and Frodo,and Sam.
And Mary,and pippin.
And Gimli.

I will have my vengeance-in this life or the next
Letty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #22
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Witch-King...well you know what I say about him?...Meh! That's right meh. He's done nothing for nobody and not even good at that.
He made a powerful kingdom in enemy territory.

He destroyed Arnor.

He was hoping to kill the king of Gondor quickly so he could run and save Carn Dum. Glorfindel would have taken up time. The same thing happened with Gandalf: he had to scrap the fight to save his army.

Eowyn did "cheat." There is no way you can deny that the Witch-King was about to kill her if it weren't for the stealthy hobbit with the super-powered shiv.

-A History of Villains
Old 06-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #23
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I see that nobody else is going to vie for abstract, seemingly non-existant peoples of Middle-Earth.
________
Ferrari F1/86

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-04-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
Himilsillion
Animated Skeleton

Himilsillion has just left Hobbiton.
Faramir

Faramir is the coolest character by far. He is one of the only men to resist the power of the ring. He valiantly defended Osgiliath and he tried his best to show his allegiance to his father. More than anything he really restored honor to the House of Stewards by giving the throne to Aragorn.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #25
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
While I cannot deny the coolness fo the Witch-king and the Snowmen, I feel that the Sons of Feanor have been largely ignored. They're just so full of angsty tragedy. Oaths, kin-slayings, dramatic death scenes, you name it, they got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elu, concerning the Snowmen
I mean come on, they need to have a music video or something.
Pfff. Just look at the Sons of Feanor. Now they could make one cool music video.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #26
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
He made a powerful kingdom in enemy territory.

He destroyed Arnor.

He was hoping to kill the king of Gondor quickly so he could run and save Carn Dum. Glorfindel would have taken up time. The same thing happened with Gandalf: he had to scrap the fight to save his army.

Eowyn did "cheat." There is no way you can deny that the Witch-King was about to kill her if it weren't for the stealthy hobbit with the super-powered shiv.
No it wasn't really him though was it. He's simply a pawn of Sauron. There's no real innate power in him. But come on, to not notice a lousy hobbit sneaking up behind you. Oh and how is that "cheating" by the way? Did not the W-k use the foul beast as his ally? Then why not use Merry? Or were you expecting the niceties of war to be followed thus prohibiting sneak or rear attacks?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #27
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

I don't really understand this term 'cool'. Weren't the Snowmen just freezing? Now Cirdan and his Elves, a nice cool Sea breeze is the norm for them. And don't forget the island dwellers.

I'd rather be cool than cold.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #28
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mormegil. The Witch King would have turned Eowyn into a meat pie. PERIOD.
Plus, you asked how the Witch King should have noticed the hobbit BEHIND him? Doesnt it say in the LOTR that hobbits can be completely inaudible if they want to be? (kinda like elves)
Ha Ha! Now beat that, my friend Mormegil!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #29
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Alcarillo, much as I worship them I would say the Sons of Feanor were mostly hot rather than cool. There are, though, some exceptions-

Curufin is cool (by temperament)

Maglor is cool (by Eomer's sea-breeze definition)

Maedhros is sizzlin(g)

Also, on further consideration, I class the Lossoth or Snowmen as not merely cool, but, in fact, chilled.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:03 AM   #30
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
Mormegil. The Witch King would have turned Eowyn into a meat pie. PERIOD.
Plus, you asked how the Witch King should have noticed the hobbit BEHIND him? Doesnt it say in the LOTR that hobbits can be completely inaudible if they want to be? (kinda like elves)
Ha Ha! Now beat that, my friend Mormegil!
Irrelevant. He shouldn't have focused all his attention ahead of him when a battle is raging all around. He was too pompous and sure of his own fear factor. Again he was merely a pawn of the will of Sauron.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #31
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

He was not too pompous. He was busy KILLING an enemy! Plus, you really cant expect to be stabbed by a hobbit during the siege of Gondor. I mean, you would not have thought that hobbits were involved in the war in the south, if you lived in middle earth. but you dont. whoops.
Gosh I make myself sound stupid.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #32
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
He was not too pompous. He was busy KILLING an enemy! Plus, you really cant expect to be stabbed by a hobbit during the siege of Gondor. I mean, you would not have thought that hobbits were involved in the war in the south, if you lived in middle earth. but you dont. whoops.
Gosh I make myself sound stupid.
But he didn't kill an enemy now did he? Plus it's irrelevant that it's a hobbit. The point is he was too narrrowly focused and glorying in himself. Had he simply finished the job quickly and not given time for Merry to sneak up on him. It's a bloody battlefield why shouldn't he think about somebody coming up behind him. Plus you've never satisfactorily answered me about him merely being a pawn to the will of Sauron.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #33
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mormegil, I agree with you that he was a pawn under the sway of Sauron. But I dont think that the Witch-King was without a mind. He really did, though, have a sight for power. That little getaway in the north called Angmar.
All right. He should have been ready for anything on the battlefield. BUT HE WAS STILL AWESOME.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #34
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ARAGORN! He's my favorite and for me the coolest of all the characters in the Lord of the Rings. I mean, he's a ranger, a warrior through and through and goes on to become the King of Gondor, not only that he is an extremely noble and courageous man. Everything he did was for Middle Earth and its survival. For me he is the ultimate, and I don't see anyone who would be better to lead the Free Peoples of Middle Earth than Aragorn/King Elessar.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #35
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
It was Elenwë I had in mind. Surely she's cooler.
Oh! Yes she definitely is the coolest.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #36
Valandil

Leaf Teamwork

My two cents on the discussion about Witch-king vs. Eowyn/Merry: it seems to me (and I'm new at this) that teamwork (aka fellowship) was a major theme of the story, so perhaps the Witch-king was defeated by a pair of brave souls rather than one hero. That's one of the differences about this story that appeals to me so much. Besides, perhaps courage is not the absence of fear but the presence of "guts" in spite of almost losing bladder control. Both Eowyn and Merry faced an enemy who seemed far more powerful than either of them, and that is seriously cool. I think the reason they defeated him was the-sum-is greater-than-its-parts phenomenon called friendship.

Personally, I give cool points to Bilbo, who, from my limited knowledge, was the only ring-bearer to voluntarily give up the ring (not counting Sam who held it for 5 minutes ). Perhaps it's more a matter of Bilbo's virtuousness, but still pretty cool. Now, for just plain "wow-factor" my vote for the coolest character would be Galadriel. Being able to accurately size someone up in an instant would be very cool indeed. Besides, she could have grabbed the ring and didn't... whata woman!

Last edited by Valandil; 06-07-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:23 AM   #37
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yeah, dont count out Sam. I am certainly certain that Frodo would not have been able to complete his quest if it werent for sam. Frodo would have either been caught by orcs, died in mordor, or possibly murdered by Gollum.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #38
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I agree with you. I think that Sam was an extremely important character when it came to the Quest of Mount Doom. His actions were extremely brave and loyal.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #39
Valandil

Leaf

IMO Sam certainly wins the "best friend" category hands down.