The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2003, 01:36 PM   #1
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting Partners who are not LotR fans

Do you have a partner who is not a LotR fan? If so, do you try to 'convert' them or just leave it be? My boyfriend Liam adamantly doesn't like LotR except for that 'cool dwarf dude - Gimli'. Feel free to discuss.
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I am in one of those relationships. Okay, so he doesn't mind it, but he's not really a fan. He takes me to see the films sometimes, or we sit down and watch the dvds and have a good laugh at them. But I don't try and convert him.
We keep our separate interests... well, separate. He keeps his work in one room, and I keep a separate room for all my Lotr posters, books, etc. They're our own separate 'hobby' rooms, or the sort. I can stay in there and relax in my own little world of Denethor.

And he's only a little bit jealous [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My girlfriend is okay with LotR, but she's jealous of Liv Tyler because all of my friends talk about her, and my girlfriend thinks I do too. I guess that's life.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:59 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

My wife was convinced at a young age, by members of her family, that she would not enjoy LotR. Accordingly, she resisted all my attempts to persuade her to read it. Then we went to see the film of FotR together and she was captivated by it. She proceeded to read the book and absolutely loved it. She now plans to read it a second time and is, if anything, more excited than me at the prospect of seeing the RotK film in three days time.

It just goes to show how wrong people can be in pre-judging whether they themselves, or those close to them, may or may not enjoy a particular book.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't get me started........
Old 12-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

OMG!!! Its one of the main arguments with my girlfriend! See I love LOTR she on the other hand loves Harry Potter. See thats not a bad series but still she will not see reason! Lord of the Rings rules all that that call themselves fantasy!
-Cheers!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Definitely a subject I am not allowed to discuss. My wife could care less what I do concerning LOTR. If an actor or actress appears in another movie and I say "Hey, do you know who that is?", it always ends with "I don't care." Guess it could be worse, I could be married to someone who was a bigger fan than me. I'll keep the one I have.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:25 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I guess I'm one of the lucky few then. My boyfriend loves the movies and is absolutely obsessed by them. I, on the other hand, am extremely obsessed with the Books AND the Movies. We get into some fairly interesting conversations. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:21 PM   #9
manaratowen
Pile O'Bones

manaratowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to manaratowen
Sting

hubby jsut cant understand it all. the stories or the books. he hasent even read the books, but i leave him to his own devices and he in turn leaves me to mine. and we all sit and watch the dvds together, but hell sit there and ask "ok, now whos this person?" hehe, kida funny when a 3 year old answers him instead of me...lol.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #10
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My boyfriend enjoys the books and movies, but isn't what you'd call a "fan"... i.e. He's going to wait to see RotK until New Year's Eve, with me (our anniversary, mmm!), whereas I'm going as many times as possible.
Oh well, at least I can seem smart about something. Hoorah!

Lindril (I need to feel valued) Arvilya
Old 12-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #11
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

A tip for the gentleman Tolkienites out there - start with the story of Beren and Luthien!

Plus points for being poetic, a strong female character, evoking a relatioship between a sweaty bloke and an un-naturally attractive princess - Works every time!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #12
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rumil, that is some of the best Tolkien-related advice I have ever heard.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:11 PM   #13
Altariel
Animated Skeleton

Altariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, yes. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] My boyfriend will come to the movies with me, listen to me rant about Elves and Ainur and Silmarils and try to understand, and, to his credit, doesn't seem at all annoyed when I drool uncontrollably over Feanor (I think I'm the only Feanor fangirl I know...). It's nice of him to pretend to care. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #14
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

HMMM... well my very recent ex girlfriend has read the books once, and seen the first two movies, but she is not as obsessed about it as me. Also my friends think I am weird and there is only one person I can really talk about it to (the guy who be short, see, we're in the same year at school). Why is being interested in LotR considered weird?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #15
Fosco Burrows
Pile O'Bones

Fosco Burrows has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

My girlfriend was converted by me after I was converted by my workmates. My uni housemate is semi-converted which is a nightmare as all he does is ask questions about the films but refuse to read the books!!
FB
Old 01-15-2004, 10:59 PM   #16
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

All of my past "love interests", if you will (I have issues with formal titles and such [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) have not like LOTR in the least. They find it weird and strange and go no further than that. They'd rather be horsing around or watching NFL on television.

Ah, such is my luck. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #17
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
My alter-ego hates LotR.

Wait, I need to explain. He's a psychopatic serial killer who's after only one cross paths... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

EDIT: Get out of here, Nilpaurion...it's for partners, not alter-egos.

[ January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Someone who cares ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 02:15 AM   #18
silma

My boyfriend loathes anything to do with LotR and he's not even read the books!!!! In fact he hates it so much he wouldn't even go to see the films with me.
He gets annoyed with me cause I spend so much time online talking to other Tolkien fans cause he thinks I should be spending the time with him.
Don't get me wrong, this is the only issue we have everything else is great, but it can be really hard for me because this has been my greatest interest for the past 20 years of my life and I can't do without (I tried for the first couple of years but I just got so unhappy)
Anytime I mention anything Tolkien related I can see his eyes glaze over and a scowl appear on his usually handsome face, I really would like to share this with him but it's never going to happen.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Oooh... I was so scared recently... I've been interested in the same guy for monthes now, and it's finally going somewhere, but I was terrified that he'd hate LotR and think I'm nuts, since most of my friends are like that. Then what happens? He took me to see RotK and revealed that he's got the Extended Editions of both FotR and TTT!!! Mind you, we did make fun of a little bit of the movies... actually, a lot. But not the books. Never the books. Ooh... so great. The last guy I was interested in though... his LotR knowledge extended about as far as "That gay Elf guy that all the girls have the hots for." It was pretty funny, actually...

Fea

Oh yeah- Altariel, I've got a bit of a Feanor thing too. I've spent over an hour arguing with my teachers about his "evilness" It was NOT his fault! He was the best, of course... even the Valar admitted it.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 AM   #20
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
I am the ONLY person I ever know in REAL world who READ LOTR. It frustrates me. At least you have people you can discuss the book with, however much they hate it.

In Korea, LOTR translation is twisted to a baby story with lots of color pictures portraying Sauron as wearing a large helmet and big boots with a sword.

They ask me in wonder, "I thought you were a bookworm! I never knew you'd read childish fantasies like THESE," whic h makes me explode and recite all the poetry in LOTR. They can't understand English, though, so...

I do not have a boyfriend, but I ahve many friends, whom all runs for cover if I mention LOTR.