The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #1521
Gilwen
Pile O'Bones

Gilwen has just left Hobbiton.
You know you're obsessed with LOTR when...

...you can't sleep, and instead of counting sheep you start reciting the entire lineage of Elrond & Co. and trying to figure out exactly what fraction elf, Maia, and human everyone is.

...you go into "LOTR withdrawal" every time you read the books.

...you start adding "esssesss" to the ends of words, or randomly adressing people as "preciousssss."

tell Hama the hampster hello for me
Old 02-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #1522
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
It's about time this thread came back! I was all set to post and they shut it down! Anyways...

You know you're obsessed when...

...You're at church and the hymn your singing has the words "precious, precious" in it and you start to snort and laugh.

.... On a survey for the school newspaper a friend over hears someone saying that their favorite romantic movie is LOTR and they tell you that they thought of you

.... When in pottery class you start to sculpt the tower of Barad - dur

.... When you talk with friends and without realizing it start quoting the movie (no one seems to notice however....)

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #1523
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When you find yourself singing the words to the LoTR songs rarther than the actual song playing.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:03 PM   #1524
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
When you can keep track of Finwë's house and Elwë's house much better than you can keep track of your own family. *blushes*
Finwe, I have yet to reach your level of obsession! Still having trouble with those pesky genealogy trees...
Quote:
...you start adding "esssesss" to the ends of words
I do that too! Most often with 'fishesss'. I do it so often that I forget what the correct form of the word is.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #1525
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
...When your geography teacher asks if anybody knows what is the bay near to India (can't remember exactly) and you answer: the bay of Belfalas (and actually thought that it was correct...*blush* )
Old 02-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #1526
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
When instead of counting sheep, you go over the names of the thirteen members of Thorin's Company, the Fellowship, and the House of Finwë (the last one in chronological order).

*blushes deeply*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #1527
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
-when your mother says "greyhound" and you hear "Greyhame".
-when you carry around name tags and label yourself as Aragorn, Legolas, Sam, the Spleen of Sauron, etc.
-when you name all of your cats' kittens LotR names: Merry, Pippin, Aredhel (the grey and white girl), Morwen (the black girl), Mel (short for mellryn), and Morag (well, that one wasn't LotR, my mommy named that one.)
-when you have two sets of elf ears.
-when you feel the need to pet any copy of LotR you see in Wal-Mart.
-when you wonder about the genetic probably of Arwen having ebony hair with a grandmother who is blonde.
-when you understand this:
Why did the Balrog cross the road?
Why?
We don't know if there really was a road. It might have been metaphorical, Tolkien wasn't really clear.
-when you can do this:
Gilwen:
He's 9/16ths elf, 6/16ths man, and 1/16th Maia.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:54 AM   #1528
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

...When you call the fish you named in the Science Lab by their LOTR names instead of their real ones, and your teacher gets really confuzzled.
...When you write a compare and contrast paper on the differances between Frodo and Gollum/Smeagol.
...When you frined proofreads said paper, she says I know too much about LOTR. (You can never know too much! The paper wasn't exactly a work of art either. Someone who had only seen the movies could probably understand some, accept for some mentions of Mandos's halls)

EDIT: 10 more posts and I'm a wight! Yay!

Last edited by Sirithheruwen; 02-21-2004 at 07:59 AM.
Sirithheruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #1529
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Finwe
the House of Finwë (the last one in chronological order).

HA! this is highly inappropriate, but when i am waiting for conditioner to sink into my hair i recite the family tree of the House of Finwe
Old 02-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #1530
Gilwen
Pile O'Bones

Gilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thought of a few more :
-every time you see the stars you start singing "A Elbereth Gilthoniel..."
-you pick up a book at the library(which happens to be an audio recording of Tolkien reading Tolkien-oh, what a marvelous sound ) and the librarian makes a casual comment about the number of Tolkien books that he's never even heard of that have come through lately, and you just smile, because it's all you
-you start saying words like circus with a hard c
-your youth group leader says " fill in the blank. I would be much wiser if I ___________." and you answer "was an elf"
-if you lost sleep before AND after seeing the movies
-when you start answering telemarketers in Sindarin(okay, so I haven't done that........yet)
Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #1531
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Boots

Quote:
-when you start answering telemarketers in Sindarin(okay, so I haven't done that........yet)
Thats not a bad idea.

Peace,
Vuelve

----------I tried posting this reply and it told me I had too many smilies in the post.I only had 4. I guess is was just another one of those bugs that need working out.------------
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:33 PM   #1532
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
~When you tape your own hair to your feet for your hobbit lass costume that you wore when going to see a play of The Hobbit (I was a random Hobbit lass, my brother was Frodo, and my friend was the Witchking)

~When you recognize on your second guess that two girls in the audience at The Hobbit are dressed as Alatar and Pallando -- they were very surprised that I'd heard of them.

More to follow later, I've got homework now.

Oh BTW, this is actually part 5. We had a part 4, but that got shut down. I'm so happy it's back!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #1533
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

When you relate anything whatsoever to LOTR. You name it, I can relate it. (Kinda like the round=about game.)

When you can locate someone talking about LOTR from accross the room, even if you are out of hearing distance. I seriously freaked some fourth graders doing this.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #1534
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
^ hehe happened the other day. It was in Welsh class and these dudes were talking about this LOTR game they'd made up. I sped over and started gabbling away. Hehehehehe.

- When you start randomly associating things with LOTR.
Random person: "Do you want a hotdog?"
You: "Hot dogs! That's what I ate at ROTK! I had just finished it when Aragorn etc etc"
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #1535
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Quote:
When you spend every minute you can with your LotR obsessed friends, Arguing over who is better, Legolas or Aragorn.
Ha! My friends and I do that too! (Aragorn ofcourse)

You know you`re obsessed with LotR when:

You have an LotR t-shirt (I have 2! yay!)
You have about 100 LotR pictures on your wall.
You have atleast 3 LotR posters.
You have a One Ring.
You randomly say things like: Elbereth Githoniel!, Go to Mordor!, Holy Eru!, Holy Harry Hobbit Feet!, Yeah right, when balrogs fly (who here was the one who started that anyway? I love it!), and losto la laith nin! hahahaha! Al though that only names a few.
Your non-obsessed friends never say anything to do with LotR, or you might start rambling off about it and never stop.
You`re reading this.
You bonk your older brother (who I like to call Saruman) over the head with your plastic Sting sword while yelling, "ELENDIL!"

I could keep going, but I`ll leave the rest to you guys/girls.

Namarie!
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:08 PM   #1536
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
~When your family was given a gift certificate to have a portrait-thingy taken, you all decide that you should dress up as Hobbits for the photo.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #1537
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
...you can't sleep, and instead of counting sheep you start reciting the entire lineage of Elrond & Co. and trying to figure out exactly what fraction elf, Maia, and human everyone is.
I did this for Arwen. She is:
40.625% sindarin
17.1875% noldor
12.5% teleri
7.8125% vanyar
12.5% Beor's house
3.125% Hador's house
3.125% Haleth's house
3.125% maia

Of course this also applies to Elladan and Elrohir.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:16 PM   #1538
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Failivrin, I'm flattered, you think of me in the shower.

- When you hum the War-Chants of the Rohirrim to yourself while you're taking your mile test for PE (We hatesss it... yessss..... we hatessss it precious..... evil.... trickssy.... falsssse....)

- When you lead your English class in a rousing rendition of "Hey ho to the bottle I go!" while you're all sitting outside under a palm tree with nothing better to do (it was after a fire drill and none of us wanted to go inside )

- When you're tempted to tell your Principles of Engineering teacher that his new project about hydraulics is going to turn everyone into a mini-Saruman and if all the trees on the school grounds are suddenly cut down, he knows why.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #1539
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
-when the employees at Winn Dixie stop worrying about your mental health when you call your favourite bottle of ale your 'preciouss'

-when you've somehow become Merry's niece (don't ask)

-when you're mentioned in the local newspaper for being a 'self-proclaimed Tolkien nut'

-The others have found out [more than once] that Frodo really does live.

-You become suspicious that anything shiny could be a silmaril, and the phone is a palantír.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #1540
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, I think you all are obsessed.

Hàma report: No longer upset with the hamster for his sleeping on the job. He is now acting like a proper door warden should!
We are well pleased.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #1541
Finwe
Deathless Sun

- When you get home late and your dad tells you, "You're late," you cheekily reply, "A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. He arrives precisely when he means to!"

(Actually, that one isn't mine, it's my friend Evan's. He's the one who does the excellent Gimli and Gollum imitations. )
Old 02-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #1542
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
- When you hum the War-Chants of the Rohirrim to yourself while you're taking your mile test for PE
This reminded me of another one:
... before taking an exam you hate, point the pen at the teacher and yell 'Death!' Well, the mood is the same...(I did that, except I did not yell, but whispered fiercely).
Old 02-24-2004, 10:04 PM   #1543
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Boots obsessing

Here are some things me and my friends have done

-start coughing and hacking like gollum whenever a test is mentioned

-whisper "my precious" into the person in front of you's ear

-turn suddenly to people and start blabbing about some jokes you heard about lotr

-write 'tricksy' and 'false' all over math worksheets (can you tell i don't like that subject?)

-whole bunch more but I am suffering from withdrawal from our school play, closing night was saturday (im still sad) so I'm kind of brain dead. Maybe more later.
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #1544
Finwe
Deathless Sun

When you try to remember the Viking Prayer that the warriors say at the end of The Thirteenth Warrior, and end up saying:

"Lo, there do I see my father,
Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers,
Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning,
Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them,
In the Halls of Mandos, where the brave may live... forever."

My friend Evan started chortling immediately.

I said "Halls of Mandos" when it's supposed to be "Halls of Valhalla"

*blushes furiously*

Anyone else think that would make a good chant/prayer for the Dunedain? Especially those of the Line of Isildur?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #1545
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
~In Geography class, you have seen Gondor and Alqualonde on maps. Both were word hallucinations though.

~You actually know what Alqualonde is.

~When you are writing those vowels with the two dots over them (can't remember what that's called) you always write three dots like a tengwar A and have to erase one.

~You wish there was a 'Geography of Middle-Earth' class you could take instead of boring regular geography.

~You get extremely upset when you read a quote of someone saying that "Tolkien is about as interesting to read as the tax code" and to make yourself feel better you think, "You just think that because you're too stupid to understand it, fool of an orc!"
You then rant about it with your LotR obsessed friend.
(Hah, Ashton, I beat you to posting about it! )
Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #1546
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Finwe I totally agree with you on the Thirteenth Warrior chant thingy. I like the change

Anyways....

You cross-over anybook you are reading and compare them

You obsess over your one friend with semi-pointy ears and your one semi-pointy ear (it's true! My right ear is pointy! Ask Genevieve!)

You make your non-obsessed friends start making jokes and crossovers (she confused Thayet *Tamora Pierce if anyone doesnt know* and Theoden. It was soooo funny!)

Your math teacher gets mad at you for writting "tricksy math quizzes" at the top of all your pop quizes.

You end all of your sentenceses with precious, when you are and aren't talking to yourself (if you havent tried this, it's great fun!)

And ya....... must go find a blanket before I freeze to death. It's almost March and it's still below freezing up here!

Nehani of the hafly-thawed forest.

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:32 PM   #1547
Finwe
Deathless Sun

*dies laughing*

How could anyone confuse Thayet and Theoden?!?!?!

I nearly fell off my chair laughing!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #1548
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Yah, but you should have seen me. This girl...she loaths it when we talk about LOTR around her...and when we were talking about The Immortals out of no where she says "Yah, it was kinda like when Thoeden married Jonathan." I gave her a blank stare and then we all cracked up. I had to lean against a wall to stop from falling over. Priceless!

Nehani
Watashi no mori desu!

Old 02-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #1549
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Finwe
When you try to remember the Viking Prayer that the warriors say at the end of The Thirteenth Warrior, and end up saying:

"Lo, there do I see my father,
Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers,
Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning,
Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them,
In the Halls of Mandos, where the brave may live... forever."
Yay! Another Thirteenth Warrior fan! I actually did that once with a friend of mine, complete with doing Aragorn's battle cry at the end......We were high on doughnuts (yes young padawans...it IS possible!)

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:25 PM   #1550
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

We only get high off them at midnight!

Nehani
watashi no mori desu!

Old 02-26-2004, 12:24 AM   #1551
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
High on donuts . . . . . . . see my sig

This just happened when writing a speech, when typing the word lot you automatically type lotr without even thinking.

Not very good, but it's 1:30 in the morning here and I need sleep.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #1552
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Oh dear... and I thought I was strange for getting high on black cherry soda.

The other night, I was at a restaurant with some friends, and we were all smoking clove cigarettes. The manager came up to us, and was like, "You kids 18? I know Hobbits indulged in pipeweed, but unfortunately, I can't let you do the same." We all started cracking up, and I shot back, "Yeah,we're 18. We're Elves, that's why we look younger." The manager chuckled a bit and then walked off.

I managed to get out of a lot of trouble that way! Goes to show... LotR is great!!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:55 PM   #1553
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I seriously hope that hamster never goes through all those painful deaths we've come up with for Hama.

Oh and I've actually come up with secret LOTR names for everybody I know. I have never told a soul about them, though.

And I've always suspected that my Algebra teacher was Morgoth due to the fact that the insanely hard problems on his tests could only have been written by the Dark Lord of Angband.
(he recently moved up to become the dean, and left his teaching assistant in charge of the class. I can tell she is only Sauron in disguise though)
Old 03-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #1554
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know you're obsessed with LOTR when...
... your friend pays you the highest complement you have ever received when she says "You think I'm obsessed?! You should talk to my friend the Elusive Spirit." I now brag about this to everyone who even shows a hint of interest! (Or even if they don't, and oddly they usually don't)

... possibly the best birthday present next to the silver looking arrows from dad, is the promise of a black cloak to go RPGing in from your boyfriend.

... when the front of you’re birthday card says “I love Lurtz”.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:57 PM   #1555
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sidewalk...Traa laa laaa...

...When, on Sunday, you write "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King for Best Picture - Oscars '04!!!" on your driveway, and while you are playing basketball, someone walking their dog reads it and says, "Oh yeah, I totally agree!" I was ecstatic!

...When you dress up in your "Frodo Lives!" t-shirt and elf ears for the Oscars. I also wore my hair in an elvish style.

...When you cry bacause you can't find your elf ears.

...When you do the extreme version of the Happy Dance when you find them. Yay!

Well, I think that's enough for now! Bye-bye!
Old 03-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #1556
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
...When you dress up in your "Frodo Lives!" t-shirt
Where do you get those? I want one of them.

You know you're obsessed with LotR when...

-You find yourself quoting LotR in ordinary conversations without even realizing it.

-You would much rather learn Elvish than any other language.

-You greet your friends in Elvish.

-When you are hungry you decide Lembas sounds much beter than any thing else in your pantry.

-You pretend you are eating Lembas when you can't find any in your pantry.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #1557
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

~When you are home sick but are feeling much better, and are bored so you: listen to your RotK soundtrack; sing May it Be, In Dreams, Gollum's Song, and Into the West in proper order; sing them out of order, randomly; learn to play In Dreams and Gollum's song on the recorder; play the tricky parts repeatedly to make sure you can remember them; play all four songs in proper order; play them randomly; work on memorising the Lay of Leithian-the long one; memorise other LotR poetry; and then get on the 'downs to tell everyone about it.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:19 PM   #1558
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Frodo Lives!

Firefoot: I made my shirt myself. Just take a normal t-shirt and use iron-on letters and, well, iron them on. You can find the letters at your local craft store. I've also heard permanent marker works, but I havn't tried it as of yet.

At my sister's school, there is a little kid in Kindergarten who looks just like a mini-Frodo! He's adorable!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #1559
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I was sitting in the car yesterday singing song about LOTR to the tune of "These are a Few of My Favorite Things" (from the Sound of Music). My sister, who was sitting in the front seat, turned around and said "You’re really weird. The worst part is that you
were really serious when you were singing. It was like Julie Andrews in Fanghorn Forest." I laughed so hard when she said this! Julie Andrews in Fanghorn Forest. walks off humming, Rain drops on Ent beards and wiskers on wizards
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #1560
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
Narya My two bits worth........

Alright......

You know i'm obsessed with LOTR because:

1) You have a tendency to correct my friends when they speak elvish:
No no no......you pronounce it "Numenore" not "Numenorey"

2) You start collecting every recipe that sounds perfect for a Hobbit's kitchen (CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE! w00t!)

3) You get so many bullseyes in summer camp that your cabinmates start calling you 'Legolas' although you have a hobbit-like physique

(Note: All of the above actually happened to me! )

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote