The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #681
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thank you!
Quote:
It might and it might not.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #682
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
A hint, maybe?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #683
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Oops, I had nearly forgotten myself where this quote comes from!

Part of the sentence that is said before that : "It might make it easier for me (........)"
And the answer is "It might and it might not. We shall see."
Old 04-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #684
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It is Alf Prentice, the Master Cook, speaking in answer to Smith of Wootton Major.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #685
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

That's the one, Esty !
Old 04-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #686
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This one sounds like a dormant thread.
Quote:
Why do none speak...?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #687
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Is it from The Sea Bell?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:43 AM   #688
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It is indeed from 'The Sea-Bell', and since the speaker is first person, unnamed, that answer is all I was looking for. Welcome to this thread, The Elf-warrior - now it's your turn to puzzle us with a new quote!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #689
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Penny-wise tub-on-legs!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 AM   #690
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

what a nice name for a friend!

It's Tom Bombadil speaking to Farmer Maggot, in "Bombadil goes boating"
Old 04-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #691
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Correct!
Old 04-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #692
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Elf-warrior!
Quote:
"Who do you think you're talking to?"
Old 04-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #693
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Why, to you, of course!

This quote comes from Smith of Wootton Major and is spoken by Nokes to Prentice. If he'd only known who Alf really was!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #694
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

That's the one, Esty!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #695
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Turnabout Proverb

Quote:
No news is bad news.
True on a dormant thread...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:52 AM   #696
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Oh, a proverb!
This is said by the gloomy Blacksmith (also known as "Sunny Sam" ) when there was no news from Farmer Giles, after he had gone dragon-hunting with the knights.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:02 AM   #697
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes indeed, Guinevere! I always chuckle over the way Tolkien characterizes him - at the above statement he bursts into song, says "A bad omen" cheerfully, and calls Hilarius and Felix "ominous names"!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #698
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"Thank you! That'll do nicely!"
Old 08-09-2005, 05:15 AM   #699
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
A hint, maybe?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #700
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

My goodness, I had nearly forgotten that one.

It is said by one of your order, Heren Istarion!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #701
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Then it must have been said by Gandalf - he's the only one who would say those polite words!

On second thought, Gandalf is nowhere to be found in the minor works - let's see, a wizard? Oh, it's Artaxerxes, doing his magic on Roverandom!

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 08-09-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #702
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Exactly!

and I'm not quite sure to whom he says "Thank you!" - to the magic bag perhaps ?

Last edited by Guinevere; 08-10-2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: a typo
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:38 AM   #703
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Always good advice:
Quote:
Look where you're going!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:12 AM   #704
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Tídwald says that to Totta, while they are carrying Beorhtnoth's body.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #705
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, Guinevere - excellent!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #706
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Esty!
Quote:
Trouble yourself no further.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #707
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That was spoken by a stranger, at least at the moment of speaking, to 'Starbrow', that is Smith of Wootton Major, on his last trip home from Faery. The speaker was, of course, Alf Prentice - actually, the King of Faery.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 AM   #708
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

That's it! Well done, Esty!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:31 AM   #709
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Try this one for size:
Quote:
My house is far too small
Old 09-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #710
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

...up in hopes of finding a taker...
Old 09-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #711
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

The lonely Troll (from "Perry-the-Winkle") to the people clamouring for cramsome cake etc. at his door in the hills of Faraway.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #712
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one, Guinevere! The floor's yours...
Old 09-11-2005, 03:33 AM   #713
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Don't take this one personally!
Quote:
"Ridiculous nonsense!"
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 AM   #714
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh, as it's spoken to a male by his wife, I'm sure this applies only to men! It's Mrs Artaxerxes, to her husband in Roverandom.
Quote:
'Ridiculous nonsense! ' said Mrs Artaxerxes. 'Nice kind wizard, indeed! There is no nice or kind or wizard about it, if you don't give the little dog back his shape and size at once - and what's more I shall go back to the bottom of the Deep Blue Sea, and never come back to you again.'
Where would those men be without the women to push them in the right direction?!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:36 AM   #715
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

Correct, of course! (I love your comments!)
Old 09-14-2005, 06:08 AM   #716
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Good advice:
Quote:
Don't stand there arguing!
It's much nicer to argue sitting down!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:48 AM   #717
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Giles the Henpecked

That's Farmer Giles' wife, Agatha, berating her husband at the beginning of Farmer Giles of Ham.

Quote:
'Don't stand there arguing!' said she. 'If you believe the dog, then take his advice: be bold and quick!'
Good advice, but nevertheless a change of subject by someone who feels she's losing the argument. 'Don't stand there arguing with me' is definitely implied.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #718
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Right you are, Squatter - at least concerning the speaker of the quote! As to who's losing the argument...
Old 09-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #719
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe More beers, luv?

Well, rather than sit here arguing, here's another bit of kindling for the fire.

Quote:
their master's been and drowned his wits
Old 09-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #720
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the ostler, speaking of the Man in the Moon:
Quote:
The ostler said to his tipsy cat:
'The white horses of the Moon,
They neigh and champ their silver bits;
But their master's been and drowned his wits,
and the Sun'll be rising soon!'