The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2002, 01:21 PM   #1
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe What was Ungoliant?

I know that Ungoliant was in the form of a giant spider when she and Melkor attaked the Two Trees of Valinor, but what was she to start? Was she a Maia gone bad? If so why didn't she obey Melkor as he was the starter of all evil and all other evil things were under his reign? Or was she on offspring of the Great Dischord that Melkor sang in the Music of the Ainur?
Old 01-12-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Quote:
The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded.
Silmarillion

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Cool. thanx HerenIstarion. By the way.. doen't your name mean "Order of Wizards"?
Old 01-12-2002, 02:20 PM   #4
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

you are welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
it does

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:20 AM   #5
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I once heard that she was in the beginning a Maiar who served Vaire, though I have never seen or read anything to substantiate this. Still, it makes sense (in sort of a Greek myth - Athena sort of a way).

- Cirdan / Maglor68
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:14 PM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
Still, it makes sense (in sort of a Greek myth - Athena sort of a way).
The version of Athene's story that I know has her bursting fully-grown and armed from Zeus' head to become the goddess of wisdom, war and the arts. What does this have to do with Ungoliant? Am I missing something?

Very BTW, but what a hangover! 'Woke up this morning and I had to get Hephaestus to crack my head open to get rid of the headache. Then this bloody warrior bursts out of my skull and says "Hi, Dad". I'm never drinking Ambrosia again'.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:02 PM   #7
Phil The Balrog
Pile O'Bones

Phil The Balrog has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think he meant the story of Arachne the weaver who was turned into a spider, by Athena i believe.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:39 AM   #8
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
I think he meant the story of Arachne the weaver who was turned into a spider, by Athena i believe.
I see now. The girl who, forced into a weaving competition with Athena by her father's bragging, won, then hanged herself to escape the Olympian's wrath. Athena, took pity on her by turning her into a spider (one advantage of being a god is that you don't have to make sense).
I'm still not entirely clear about the Ungoliant link. Are we considering the possibility that Ungoliant's form was some sort of punishment? I've always assumed that she just liked looking like a repulsively bloated spider, or that it matched her personality so well that it was the easiest form for her to assume.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:24 AM   #9
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes - I always thought Arachne was turned into a spider in punishment for defying Athena. Similarly, when Ungoliant went over to Melkor in the beginning, she had the shape of a spider forced upon her by Vaire. Again, there is nothing to substantiate this that I have read (maybe it's in one of the HoME books). Anyway, it's an interesting parallel.

- Cirdan / Maglor68
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:07 AM   #10
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
I always thought Arachne was turned into a spider in punishment for defying Athena.
That would be too logical. She beats Athena in a weaving competition, which upsets the goddess and Arachne hangs herself in fear. She's turned into a spider to save her life. Greek gods have something of a talent for erratic and bizarre behaviour (see Robert Graves: The Greek Myths).
As for Ungoliant, the punishment idea does make sense. I don't have all of the HoME volumes at home, but I'll have a look and see what I can find...