The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2002, 10:52 PM   #1
tolkienpillowcat

Question Cirdan

Cirdan is an elf right? Then how come in the Return of the King, he is described as appearing old and with a beard?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:11 PM   #2
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Yes Cirdan is an Elf. He apears old and with a beard for the most part, is because Tolkien wrote him in that way, simply put, but you will probably get alot of explinetion from the others here who, I think, just like to hear themselves type

And Welcome to the Downs
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elves' lives are divided into three periods. Some elves grow beards during the third division; there are rare exceptions where an elf will have a beard in the second. Cirdan is presumed to be quite old, in this third period at the time of the War of the Ring.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:41 AM   #4
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

Cirdan is Possibly the oldest Elf known, even older than Elrond, and im prety sure he is older than Galadriel, in the Silmarilion it says in the Begining of days Elves and Men looked much alike, and in some cases Men where smaller and more fragile. Cirdan is someone i dont know much about and deffinitely want to read more about about he is very interesting to me i know he is has lived through all three ages and now in the fourth age, this is probably why he had a beard as Legolas said.

It is also that in the Silmarillion that the elves Soul's Wither away their Body throught long periods of time.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:51 AM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cirdan was I believe the oldest Elf in M-E at least among the leaders, he may well have had friends and realitves that were among the first to reach the shores of M-E.

There is a very late writing of JRRT's on Cirdan in Peoples of M-E [ HoME 12]p.385 in 'Late Writings'

and if you do a search for Cirdan + beards in the search function we have you will prob find a grand discussion or 2 and make mr. underhill very happy [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:51 AM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I'm sending this over to Novices and Newcomers, where I think it will be a better fit. Add additional info over there.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cirdan was the oldest living elf in M-e, and at great age elves may grow beards. I believe Cirdan was already there from the beginning, when the elves were found by Oromë near lake Cuivienen. I guess he might be 8000 years old, maybe more... maybe somewhat less.
He's older than both Galadriel and Elrond, who's tales are known alot more.

I've heard about these three stages before, though I do not know the source of that information.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:41 PM   #8
Eol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have never heard of the three stages, as it probably orginates from the HoME series. I think why Cirdan had a beard another idea that Tolkien was playing with and could not make up his mind. With or with beards, that is the question.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:03 AM   #9
secretfire
Pile O'Bones

secretfire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe elves can opt to grow facial hair or not. Wasn't there a Hephaestus-like elf mentioned in The Silmarilion? I forgot his name but I distinctly remember that he was a rugged and rustic elf who was good with metalwork. And didn't he also keep his wife or his daughter (?) captive? He certainly wasn't as old as Cirdan but the way I perceive him, he looks like he could give Wolverine a run for his money. üüü

[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: secretfire ]
Old 04-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #10
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Are you talking about that Dark Elf (Moriquendi, not evil) whose son was named Maeglin or something like that? He married the king of Gondolin's sister, I think. He doesn't have a very prominent part in the Silmarillion, but he isn't described so I don't see why he couldn't have a beard.
On a related topic, do elves scar? This may sound strange, but a friend of mine and I have this running debate on the subject. Please say they do so I can win.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:09 PM   #11
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Eol. That's the elf I was thinking of. I seem to remember him making swords or something. Maybe he did have a beard.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 05:10 AM   #12
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

The movies have too much influence....

Of course elves can have facial hair. Dwarves do, hobbits do, humans do...hey, maybe even some orcs do!

As for Eöl, his initial description says

Quote:
...a tall Elf of a high kin of the Teleri, noble though grim of face; and his eyes could see deep into shadows and dark places.
Nothing to prove or disprove him having a beard.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, elves do age, but very slowly, and also grow beard. In Arda, they are not the same as in other fantasy books, but very much like men. Círdan simply is so damn old(probably the oldest in M-E) that he has grown that beard. 9000-13000 years I think.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote