The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2004, 07:06 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
White Tree teaser for RotK EE at LOTR.net

At lordoftherings.net (and at theonering.net) there are links to a teaser for RotK EE.

Very cool-- don't miss it.

The non-official, higher-res site loads faster.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Thank you for telling us, mark12_30! I really appreciate it.

I'm a little sad that we don't get a ten-minute-long previews like on the summer releases.

I'm glad the F&E romance is in. Very sweet.

59 days!

~M
Old 10-17-2004, 04:52 AM   #3
Nilturiel
Animated Skeleton

Nilturiel has just left Hobbiton.
What do you think of the mouth of saron? I think it locks quite weird..
Old 10-17-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
The Mouth of Sauron looks like a orc in fancy, evil-appearing armor with metal teeth. I guess they didn't have crowns or gold caps like we do nowadays.

~M
Old 10-18-2004, 05:02 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
hey, I'm happy, only one bit made me cringe and that was Saruman attacking Gandalf with a big blast from his staff. Now I can't remember THAT from the book......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Thanks for the alert! I watched it, it looks great! Except...ok, here starts the whining: I really don't like the Aragorn talking with Sauron via the Palantir (I don't even like the idea of it). For me it's one of those things better left implied (I've always imagined more of a symolic battle of 'wills', something telepathic (Osanwe-Kenta?). And now seeing Aragorn shoving the sword in front of the Palantir to 'show' it to Sauron...I don't know...*shakes head*
F&E look great though - I can't wait for that!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Actually, the book does specify that Aragorn "Showed" Anduril to Sauron via the Palantir. I had no problem with that. And although it would have been nicer if Aragorn's voice had been echoing in space as an osanwe-voice-over... that dhidn't bother me either. Book-Aragorn can use osanwe, to a point, but in movie-terms osanwe is more an elvish thing, and I suppose they didn't want to confuse the viewer.

Here's the exerpt:

Quote:
(said Aragorn.) '...Come, Legolas and Gimli! I must speak with you as I eat.’

Together they went back into the Burg; yet for some time Aragorn sat silent at the table in the hall, and the others waited for him to speak. ‘Come!’ said Legolas at last. ‘Speak and be comforted, and shake off the shadow! What has happened since we came back to this grim place in the grey morning?’

‘A struggle somewhat grimmer for my part than the battle of the Hornburg,’ answered Aragorn. ‘I have looked in the Stone of Orthanc, my friends.’

‘You have looked in that accursed stone of wizardry!’ exclaimed Gimli with fear and astonishment in his face. ‘Did you say aught to – him? Even Gandalf feared that encounter.’

‘You forget to whom you speak,’ said Aragorn sternly, and his eyes glinted. ‘Did I not openly proclaim my title before the doors of Edoras? What do you fear that I should say to him? Nay, Gimli,’ he said in a softer voice, and the grimness left his face, and he looked like one who has laboured in sleepless pain for many nights. ‘Nay, my friends, I and the lawful master of the Stone, and I had both the right and the strength to use it, or so I judged. The right cannot be doubted. The strength was enough – barely.’

He drew a deep breath. ‘It was a bitter struggle, and the weariness is slow to pass. I spoke no word to him, and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my own will. That alone he will find hard to endure. And he beheld me. Yes, Master Gimli, he saw me, but in other guise than you see me here. If that will aid him, then I have done ill. But I do not think so. To know that I lived and walked the earth was a blow to his heart, I deem; for he knew it not till now. The eyes in Orthanc did not see through the armour of Théoden; but Sauron has not forgotten Isildur and the sword of Elendil. Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for l showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him.’
Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
I thought the Mouth of Sauron looked pretty cool, but hey I guess that's just me, I'm also glad the scene with Gandalf and the Witchking is back in.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree <==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Holy Fire-Blasting Wizard Staves, Batman!

Looks very awesome. I'm not sure what I think of the Aragorn-talking-to-Sauron bit; I also pictured it as a more telepathic thing. Oh well. We'll see come December!

But they didn't show anything with Merry! *pouts* That makes me sad, especially because he's supposed to have quite a few new scenes in the EE.

Is it December 14th yet?

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 10-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up Looks good to me

Ahh, Faramir and Eowyn.

Nice touch with the Witch-King's sword bursting into flame.

I am most certainly looking forward to Santa's visit this Christmas.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:43 PM   #11
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
It looks like they've 'dumbed down' (or maybe 'Hollywood-ed up' ) the "Voice of Saruman" sequence, and I too would've preferred to have had Aragorn's struggle with Sauron implied rather than shown. The Mouth of Sauron looks rather frightening, imo.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #12
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I don't mind the Mouth of Sauron -- not exactly how I pictured him. However, it nicely shows that he is dead -- that Sauron controls him utterly and that he belongs to Sauron. It's difficult to portray something like the Mouth of Sauron on film when his essence are told to us via narrative.

As for Aragorn -- well, we each see things differently and we only saw part of the scene. Who knows, maybe there was a bit of Osanwe and speaking in the scene. We just don't know...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #13
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
White Tree

YAY! I`m soo excited! I think the Mouth looks pretty cool. I`m can`t wait until Saruman and Grima`s death. (Even though it should have been at the end in the Scouring of the Shire )
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #14
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Kewell ph33r <3

It shows a few things I haven't seen before, some I have *cough cough bootlegged comiccon, bloopercoughcoughreel cough *.

Could anyone understand Aragorn? Youuuuuhhhhhhhavehhhhhhh mhhhhhhhhe, hmmmhoohwwwhmmm hmooo! Behhhhold, the swhhhord of Elendil!

Faramir/Eowyn looks pretty good, except the dialogue is tweaked just enough to irk me.

"Mr. Frodo, there is light, beauty up there, that no shadow can touch."

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:18 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
At last...Christopher Lee's scenes! Perhaps it is my Chris Lee obsession, but I did think the scene of him atop Orthanc was reminiscent of his clifftop scenes as Lord Summerisle in The Wicker Man.

Now, did anyone else notice this, but look closely at the scene with Faramir & Eowyn - I distinctly noticed David Wenham's eyes do a crazy side to side rolling motion, as though he was trying to make Miranda Otto (who had her back to the camera) laugh. It was kind of like this smiley ----->
Old 10-19-2004, 07:07 AM   #16
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
Could anyone understand Aragorn? Youuuuuhhhhhhhavehhhhhhh mhhhhhhhhe, hmmmhoohwwwhmmm hmooo! Behhhhold, the swhhhord of Elendil!
Hahaha, you're right, 'the sword of Elendil' bit was the only thing I understood from his speech, and I hung on that. I stand corrected, Helen, thanks for quoting that passage from the book. But I still...oh well, I still find it a bit annoying. Something makes me think 'webcam'. (Like "Sauron, now we can finally see each other - so let me show you my new sword.") Yes I know I am a technologically-perverted creature that Tolkien would probably frown upon.
Of course Saruman attacking Gandalf from above is so unreasonable and out of character that I didn't even think to mention it.
But all in all I expected such minor flaws and they don't minimize my enthusiasm one bit. I can hardly wait - I'll start saving money (and hope it's not more than 100 $ as I'm only a poor beggining teacher...)

Last edited by Evisse the Blue; 10-19-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Evisse the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:35 PM   #17
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
What I believe he said was: "Long have you hunted me. Long have I eluded you. No more. Behold the Sword of Elendil!" (And I'm pretty sure Sauron replied, "Holy Crap!" Just kidding ) That's just what I got.

Anyone else think that the Mouth of Sauron looks like he's been chewing tar? You know, the black goop they patch roads with? Ew.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 10-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #18
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Yeah, Sapphire_Flame, that's what I heard Aragorn say.

Lalwendë, I don't think David Wenham was trying to make her laugh. He was looking from one of her eyes to the other. You can only look someone in the eye, not eyes.

The fireball of Saruman was nnnnnnnnnnn...........uh........not............... . I'm wary of it.

I liked the Mouth of Sauron. The only thing you see is his mouth, the only thing that important is what he's saying. He is dead and only given over to Sauron. Very cool.

I heart Faramir!!!!!!!! (They've tweeked the dialogue too much for my comfort, but I'm a purist and I heart Faramir, as I said.)
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #19
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe it was just me but did anyone else think the stripped chin on the Mouth of Sauron was a little strange? Someone get him some toothpaste!

Besides that, I'm really looking forward to Eowyn and Faramir and the Gandalf vs. The Witchking December 14th is no where near close enough!

~A very excited Enny~

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #20
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
Watching it again

Having just watched it again I noticed something that I found interesting. In the scene with the Mouth of Sauron he said, " I have a token I was bidden to show thee. I thought that word unique becuase even though the phrasing was in an older style there seemed to be no words that would not be used in regular conversation.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:21 AM   #21
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'm so disappointed with myself! I promised myself that I wouldn't watch the teaser. I even skipped all sites and files that could include spoilers and...well, I watched it yesterday. My overall impression of EE is pretty good. I felt the same enthusiasm over the film I have felt every year since 2001.
Now, of course, I still have to grumble about a few things.
Quote:
I really don't like the Aragorn talking with Sauron via the Palantir (I don't even like the idea of it). For me it's one of those things better left implied (I've always imagined more of a symolic battle of 'wills', something telepathic (Osanwe-Kenta?).
I agree. Of course, the clip we saw was very brief and it might look better when it's merged in the complete EE, but still...
Then there's the fire ball of Saruman. Maybe it was due to the resolution of the teaser or something but it looked way too cheesy to be in LotR.
And finally the Mouth of Sauron. I think he'll look just fine when we can see more of him, the whole scene, but now he resembled too much an orc.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to December 10th, when I'll get my copy! This teaser was very short. I'm sure that 50 more minutes will include lots of material we all will like
ps. It's snowing! Feels like Christmas!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #22
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Tolkien

Anyone know why there is a hobbit (assumedly Pippen) up behind Gandalf during his confrontation with the Witch-King? I guess the whole thing must be a bit out of order from how it happened in the book, 'cause Pip oughta be... let's see now... Ah. Here it is; "cowering into a shadow" having just turned the corner on foot.

Still, pretty cool! I especially liked the mouth. Always a fan of the archaic language. The whole movie could have used a bit more of that, in my opinion.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #23
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
I think the scene with Pippen, Gandalf, and the Witch king was while they were on their way to save Faramir.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #24
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dûrbelethwen
I think the scene with Pippen, Gandalf, and the Witch king was while they were on their way to save Faramir.
That was how I understood it as well, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Either way, I'm definately looking forward to it.
Carrûn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #25
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien NEW 6 MINUTE PREVIEW of ROTK!!

THERE IS NOW A SIX MINUTE TRAILER OF RETURN OF THE KING ONLINE AT THE www.lordoftherings.net . Oh dear God! It is beautiful. It looks like they put everything back in. (besides Scouring of the shire which was a given) houses of Healing, eowyn and Faramir, mouth of sauron, merry pleding alegiance to theoden, aragorn and sauron'c confrontation through the Palantir. 6 MINUTES!!!wow! do they know how to abuse fangirls.

I advise that you go there right now and see it. It certainly lifted my heart about the ROTK:EE. I was a bit concerned when I first when I saw that first preview but now I'm really excited about it. the first preview seemded like they were still strecthing to make time, but they really looked like they had fun with this trailer. Anyways just getting the message out.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:07 PM   #26
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien six minutes!

I just started a new thread with this title but I'm having a major spaz attack and am feeling the need to post it all over the internet.

NEW 6 minute trailer at www.lordoftherings.net
WICKED COOL! (allow me to let my bostonian accent creep in)

go see it now!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #27
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Was that Éowyn beating up on Gothmog?! Don't know if I'm excited or angered about that... And I wonder about that scene between Aragorn and Éowyn in Houses of Healing (when Éowyn's wearing that blue robe).

Otherwise: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (sigh of relief), that's going to be great!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #28
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

SHINY!!! *bounces around the room* I'm so excited now! And only two weeks left!!! *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!* The scene with the Mouth of Sauron looks absolutely brilliant, and the Houses of healing, and...

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...!*

[Saphy, stop it. You're embarressing.]

*...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!* *gasp, pant* Okay. Breathing again. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna
And I wonder about that scene between Aragorn and Éowyn in Houses of Healing (when Éowyn's wearing that blue robe).
Wasn't the Houses of Healing; it was in Eowyn's room at Edoras.

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #29
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fordim to self: Must not watch preview. Must save it for the full release. Must wait to have full effect and pleasure. No watching the preview. No watching.

Maybe just a quick peek. . .
Old 11-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #30
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flame
Wasn't the Houses of Healing; it was in Eowyn's room at Edoras.

~ Saphy ~
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, even more suspicious.....

THERE WAS THE JOURNEY TO THE CROSSROADS!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #31
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I though it was Pippin kicking Gothmog's orc/man/ ???'s booty. MUST watch again.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #32
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Question Saaad Ka...

I wish i could see it but, it won't show me...

Do I have to have micromedia or something? I hope i'm close...

~Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #33
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Thanks for posting that link AbercrombieOfRohan. The EE is just looking better and better ...

Faramir gets to say his line about rejecting the Ring (in slightly modified form), and is that Boromir that I caught sight of behind him ...

And I suspect that there are those among us who will be (rather uncharitably) cheering when Jackson gets Legolas' arrow in his chest ...

Edit: To avoid unnecessary duplication, I have merged the two RotK Extended threads. Please post links to any further previews here.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 11-29-2004 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Merging threads
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:19 PM   #34
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Ahh! Where?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Thanks for posting that link AbercrombieOfRohan. The EE is just looking better and better ...

Faramir gets to say his line about rejecting the Ring (in slightly modified form), and is that Boromir that I caught sight of behind him ...

And I suspect that there are those among us who will be (rather uncharitably) cheering when Jackson gets Legolas' arrow in his chest ...

Edit: To avoid unnecessary duplication, I have merged the two RotK Extended threads. Please post links to any further previews here.
BOROMIR!!? WHERE! *Ka pulls out emergency camera and hunts for him...
I swear, he's just like elvis! One day...

Grr! Now i really must see it! Stupid computer! Ahh!
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:06 AM   #35
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Looking very good....roll on December.

Just two quibbles. I'm not sure about the handling of the houses of healing sequence, what's all that with Aragorn walking away and Eowyn grabbing his arm?
And I can't help it, I just get annoyed when I see interviews with Elijah. READ THE BOOK, you airhead.....
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:30 AM   #36
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Good preview, that. For some reason, I don't consider the theatrical releases to be the proper movie any more, and I imagine that's as PJ intended it. However, there was still so much more he could have included (esp. SotS), if he had had a more judicious editor elsewhere.

How long is the EE anyway? And therefore, if one had, let's just say hypothetically , all the four disc sets, how long would the entire set be?

Wonders if anyone's going to be daft enough to work it out for me, so I don't have to look it up

~Rim
Old 11-30-2004, 04:40 AM   #37
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I haven't looked (yet) and I'm not too sure if I will, but Eliana has stated that it includes the jouney to the croosroads. (one of my favourite bits from the entire LOTR) If PJ gets this bit right, it will be worth the £30 alone.........
Old 11-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #38
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Ka you'll need quicktime to see it. Also thw ebsite changes so sometimes the trailer is on the main page and sometimes it's on the pop-up that shows up when you first enter the site. I don't know if it's been like this for anyone else but just a little note.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #39
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Me again answering rimbaud's questions. yes i am daft enough.

The movie is something like 4 1/2 hours. (Hehehehehe!!)
But the appendices are something like 20 hours more! (Hahahahahaha!!!)

I'm so excited.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 AM   #40
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've seen it. I've seen it!

I'm not ashamed to say I wept during one scene. It wasn't the crossroads scene that I mentioned above, but another.

You realise when you see these extended cuts that jackson & co really do GET IT: The piece I mean was their homage to:

Quote:
Frodo sighed and was asleep almost before the words were spoken. Sam struggled with his own weariness, and he took Frodo's hand; and there he sat silent till deep night fell. Then at last, to keep himself awake, he crawled from the hiding-place and looked out. The land seemed full of creaking and cracking and sly noises, but there was no sound of voice or of foot. Far above the Ephel Dúath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach. His song in the Tower had been defiance rather than hope; for then he was thinking of himself. Now, for a moment, his own fate, and even his masters, ceased to trouble him. He crawled back into the brambles and laid himself by Frodo's side, and putting away all fear he cast himself into a deep untroubled sleep.
Marvelous