The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #4401
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
seconded
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #4402
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Admin thread is up!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #4403
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Who's in charge of the mod list? If there aren't any objections I have a cool Idea For a game... and seeing the laslist had at least six people It'd give me some time to perfect it and get more experience with the game...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #4404
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

OK so we have

Legate
Gwath
Sally
Morsul the Dark

alonariel since you wish your game to be not until around the New Year I am putting you on the tentative list. So your interest doesn't get lost between now and then.

Tentative:
alonariel
(New Year)

I realize that, more than likely....maybe, Sally's game will go into the New Year. The it should be alonariel's game. If you guys want to switch things up with whomever, just get it out here and I'll adjust the list accordingly. Thankies muchly

Modding list is closed

Last edited by Naria; 11-11-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #4405
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Could you add me and Hakon to that list? We'd like to co-mod a game.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #4406
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I know it's a bit soon to be asking, and I don't want to step on Gwath or Legate's toes, but I had a quick poll. Would people be more interested in a sci fi themed game (mostly Doctor Who with some other stuff thrown in for balance) or would a fictional/mythical/iconic character oriented game be more to everyone's liking? (The latter would include such things as a sort of Santa Claus role, given the time of year at which my game may fall, and would have lots of other fun stuff too.) I'm willing to take thoughts via PM because I dont' want to clog the thread, but I wanted to get a good idea before I started planning more in-depth. Thanks!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #4407
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, if you are asking, speaking strictly for myself, I don't have any personal acquaitance with Doctor Who, which would effectively make half of that game completely out of interest for me. Assuming that I would play, of course, which is another thing (and a big questionmark anyway, especially if we are talking about time around Christmas). But whatever, it's just WW after all.

Speaking of that, if people are ready for next game, I can get mine up soon.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #4408
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, if you are asking, speaking strictly for myself, I don't have any personal acquaitance with Doctor Who, which would effectively make half of that game completely out of interest for me. Assuming that I would play, of course, which is another thing (and a big questionmark anyway, especially if we are talking about time around Christmas). But whatever, it's just WW after all.

Speaking of that, if people are ready for next game, I can get mine up soon.
I'm not a Doctor Who fan either, but I could deal with it.
And by all means, Legate.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #4409
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Go Legate though depending on my internet usage I may have to sit this one out as I'm working any overtime I can get so I can actually buy some presents
Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #4410
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I doubt there will be any WW games happening during the New Year. Well, at least not online...

Btw Sally, I think you should stray away from a Doctor Who game. After all, this is a Tolkien site and while we've had plenty of off-topic games, I think Doctor Who is too specific...not to mention, you will lose interest from those who aren't fans. But if you want to do something related, perhaps you could explore the sci-fi genre as your theme. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #4411
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For mine and Lostole's game we have some ideas for modifying the roles of the wolves. It is a little similar to what Eonwe did but in my opinion much more fun for the wolves. I will keep quiet about the rest of these modified roles.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #4412
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Hi Legate,

I might be ready for a game and seeing how one of our more comprehensive Downers is setting one up, I'll try to clear the ol' schedule.

Can you let us know what you're planning?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #4413
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Btw Sally, I think you should stray away from a Doctor Who game. After all, this is a Tolkien site and while we've had plenty of off-topic games, I think Doctor Who is too specific..
I disagree Lovecraft was extremely specific... and beyond that My game was going to be pretty specific so I'll defend the specific idea
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #4414
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*wanders in*

So by the time the next game gets signups up and running, the second play of the semester will be over, and right after that's Thanksgiving/Christmas, so, what I'm trying to say is...

Surprise! I've got time to play werewolf again!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #4415
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
My game is basically conceptualized, but I still have to figure out the specifics. I'll let y'all know.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #4416
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
I doubt there will be any WW games happening during the New Year. Well, at least not online...

Btw Sally, I think you should stray away from a Doctor Who game. After all, this is a Tolkien site and while we've had plenty of off-topic games, I think Doctor Who is too specific...not to mention, you will lose interest from those who aren't fans. But if you want to do something related, perhaps you could explore the sci-fi genre as your theme. Just a suggestion.
Fair enough, and that's sort of what I had planned. I just wanted it to be known that Doctor Who would be a big part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
I disagree Lovecraft was extremely specific... and beyond that My game was going to be pretty specific so I'll defend the specific idea
Exactly. And now I'm excited to see what Morsul has planned. *drools* Anyway I'd of course not want to cut anyone out, so the roles would be designed to reflect characters but other than that it would just be geeky Whovian references in the narrations. It would still function like a standard game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
My game is basically conceptualized, but I still have to figure out the specifics. I'll let y'all know.
Yay! *cheers* You're going for a nice American deadline, right? 'Cause I'm all sorts of excited, but I need to make sure I'll be able to participate (at least a bit) this time.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #4417
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
As for the specific-unspecific debate, just for note I would side with Brinn. I don't have anything against occasional "off-topic" game, but we are BDers here and Tolkien should probably be the "primary source" just for the sake of being able to appeal to wide audience. From my point of view, McCaber's game was a very "daring" one in these terms, although it turned out well (very well, actually). Although I think that was more like luck with that so many people knew the topic - yet still there were those for whom it wasn't that special or who weren't familiar with the subject itself.

Anyway, for now: All right, my game is ready, so I can as well post up now. I was busy today so I could not put up the admin thread earlier, but I just came home so I will do so in the following hour.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #4418
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
sally - I generally like all kinds of sci-fi, but I'm afraid my familiarity with Doctor Who doesn't extend beyond having heard that something of the name exists, so I'm bound to miss any geeky references. Don't know to what extent this would be an obstacle to enjoying the game.
Legate - I've been curious what you're gonna come up with for quite a while, and I'm pretty sure it'll be something I'd hate to miss. On the other hand, my next three weekends or so are going to be rather busy, and I'd be loth to miss an entire Day again like last game or even have to drop out, so it's still a big question-mark with me.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #4419
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Legate - I've been curious what you're gonna come up with for quite a while, and I'm pretty sure it'll be something I'd hate to miss. On the other hand, my next three weekends or so are going to be rather busy, and I'd be loth to miss an entire Day again like last game or even have to drop out, so it's still a big question-mark with me.
Well, you can now try to see (but a glimpse, though, yet ). I have put my admin thread up, people can subscribe now! And it would be nice if you could play, too, so I just hope your schedule will be fine. (Or even if you had to miss let's say one Day, it won't be that big tragedy, as that happens often - unfortunately so, but if the need is... it is not that big deal. But however you feel like.)
Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #4420
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post

Yay! *cheers* You're going for a nice American deadline, right? 'Cause I'm all sorts of excited, but I need to make sure I'll be able to participate (at least a bit) this time.

And a nice West Coast, graduate student deadline at that.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #4421
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
And a nice West Coast, graduate student deadline at that.
Alas, I've gotten so old that I don't know if I can keep up with that.

Yay for Legate being ready. This'll be another low participation one for me, but I'm going to check out the admin thread and hopefully will be able to play!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #4422
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bad Wolf?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #4423
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
Bad Wolf?
*loves you SO much right now*
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #4424
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I don't think Naria added Hakon and my game to the modding list yet, but we have an awesome little idea. Not going to say too much yet, but it will be intense. *evil grin*
Old 12-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #4425
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think I recall reading somewhere that there is a rule that anyone who has yet to host a game is bumped to the top of the list. If that is really the case then Lostole and I should be right after Morsul although I think Alona was supposed to host a game, thing is she has not been on lately or if she is I have not noticed.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #4426
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Am I really next on the mod list? Gee.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #4427
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I think I recall reading somewhere that there is a rule that anyone who has yet to host a game is bumped to the top of the list. If that is really the case then Lostole and I should be right after Morsul although I think Alona was supposed to host a game, thing is she has not been on lately or if she is I have not noticed.
WELL, I have never run a game either. I'll arm wrestle you for it.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #4428
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Am I really next on the mod list? Gee.
Heh. Really creeps up on you, doesn't it?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #4429
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I don't think Naria added Hakon and my game to the modding list yet, but we have an awesome little idea. Not going to say too much yet, but it will be intense. *evil grin*
*enjoys this evil grinning of yours*

*joins you, for has evil plots of her own*
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #4430
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Heh. Really creeps up on you, doesn't it?
Uh, yeah.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #4431
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Uh, yeah.
Wow, we x'd....but like in reverse. (Aka I put up my post and yours made my browser refresh. Cool.)

Meep. Poor you, caught off guard. Well, reporting for duty whenever you're ready, sir. I'm ready to hunt some werewolves. *salutes*
Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #4432
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
WELL, I have never run a game either. I'll arm wrestle you for it.
Have you co-modded a game before? Also my game is not just me modding it, it is also Loslote so that makes two people who have not modded before which beats one.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #4433
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Have you co-modded a game before? Also my game is not just me modding it, it is also Loslote so that makes two people who have not modded before which beats one.
Ha ha. No, I haven't co-modded before.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #4434
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm hardly an authority, but it would appear from this that Gwath is indeed next, seeing that Legate's game has just concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria View Post
OK so we have

Legate
Gwath
Sally
Morsul the Dark

alonariel since you wish your game to be not until around the New Year I am putting you on the tentative list. So your interest doesn't get lost between now and then.

Tentative:
alonariel
(New Year)

I realize that, more than likely....maybe, Sally's game will go into the New Year. The it should be alonariel's game. If you guys want to switch things up with whomever, just get it out here and I'll adjust the list accordingly. Thankies muchly

Modding list is closed
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #4435
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Gwath's had to wait a long, long long time...he was supposed to go before my game! Although, it may be difficult to squeeze in a game of WW with the holidays coming up. If anyone is to attempt it, it would have to start (I would think) within the next day or two. By the time enough get signed up and all the housekeeping is determined...etc, t may be better to go on hiatus until after New Years.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #4436
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I'm hardly an authority, but it would appear from this that Gwath is indeed next, seeing that Legate's game has just concluded.
Thank you, Dun. I was about to say the same thing. (Not that I'm an authority either.) That's exactly why the list exists; there may be changes to it as needed but it keeps things in order more or less and give everyone an equal chance.

Lottie, if you two would really prefer to go ahead of me feel free to PM me and we can discuss it, okay? I'd love to go after Gwath but if you've got an itching to go next I could be persuaded to step aside. (Also, my game might be a bit insane so I want to give people plenty of time to recover after the holidays.) Just let me know, dear, and we'll see what we can arrange. This is Werewolf, not Congress.

EDIT: x'd with Boro. And I'd concur. With Bostonmoot coming up it'd be really hard to have a good, fair game (even with the best intentions on the part of all players). It's completely up to you, Gwath, but if you need a bit more time to polish things up for your game I'd take the time to do it and start after the first or so.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #4437
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Although, it may be difficult to squeeze in a game of WW with the holidays coming up. If anyone is to attempt it, it would have to start (I would think) within the next day or two. By the time enough get signed up and all the housekeeping is determined...etc, t may be better to go on hiatus until after New Years.
I agree. And I could certainly use a couple of weeks to prepare. If you're ready to start right away, Hakon, then go for it!

My basic idea is a WW game based on the music of Bruce Springsteen. We'll see how it turns out. It's novel, anyway.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #4438
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:

With Bostonmoot coming up it'd be really hard to have a good, fair game (even with the best intentions on the part of all players). It's completely up to you, Gwath, but if you need a bit more time to polish things up for your game I'd take the time to do it and start after the first or so.
Ah - Bostonmoot. You're right. It would be best to wait until after the revelries have subsided.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #4439
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
I agree. And I could certainly use a couple of weeks to prepare. If you're ready to start right away, Hakon, then go for it!

My basic idea is a WW game based on the music of Bruce Springsteen. We'll see how it turns out. It's novel, anyway.
Oh for the love of Gallifrey that looks entertaining.

Yeah, I'm not quite ready to start either so if you two are ready to go feel free to skip ahead.

EDIT: x'd with Gwath. Heh; exactly.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #4440
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
*crosses fingers now and hopes I have time for Springsteen and Dr. Who, even though if all I know about Dr. Who is that Sir Derek Jacobi was in some episodes, but he's got such a silky smooth voice*