The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
kingangmar
Pile O'Bones

kingangmar has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe the discord of Melkor - harmonius to Iluvatars theme ?

dark emotions are endemic to the comprehensive totality that the theme represents as that part of the creation that has free will and the mysterious aspect of the inconclusiveness of the music is enhanced by the aspect that perhaps even it's most destructive and discordant elements are not mearly blatant and tumultus but utterly fundemental to the the themes development , continuance and ultimatly it's conclussion cannot be acheived without the aspects of depravity, debauchment, dereliction and debasement especialy wherethose of high and mighty status are concerned i.e. Melkor
kingangmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:40 PM   #2
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dūm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Was that a topic for discusion? It seemed like a stand alone statement, that i fully agree with.

I will take it as that. Eru said in the Lost Tales that there was nothing that Melko[r] could do that did not have its ultimate source in Eru, as Morgoth came from Eru's thought. He said that all evil Melkor did served only to enhance the glory of Eru's works, and that knowing there was pain and suffering only made life sweeter. The sites the example of water, that only with the extremes of Melko could there be the beauty of Ice, Snow, Rain, Steam etc. I love that.

On a totally unconected subject does anyone know if there is a Redo command in the Post A Reply section? It seems that Undo cuts a large section of your text instead of the just the problematic word.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
Feanaro
Haunting Spirit

Feanaro has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Feanaro
Silmaril

The Discord of Melkor--Harmonious to Iluvatar's theme?

Quote:
From Merriam-Webster's online dictionary: "Main Entry: 1dis·cord
Pronunciation: 'dis-"kord
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
1 a : lack of agreement or harmony (as between persons, things, or ideas) b : active quarreling or conflict resulting from discord among persons or factions : STRIFE
2 a (1) : a combination of musical sounds that strikes the ear harshly (2) : DISSONANCE b : a harsh or unpleasant sound"
Perhaps the people working on the canon should change the term.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: Feanaro ]
'See half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls.' -Feanor, threatening Fingolfin with his sword. ~Moderator of the Mordor RPG.~
Feanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, Tolkien firmly believed that the inclusion of the darker themes within the Music of the Ainur was not only necessary but fundamental to the creation of Arda. Following from Tolkien's belief that Arda Marred was the Perfect, the Discord in reality, is merely a Chord.

May I congratulate you on your mellifluous loquaciousness and indeed lexicographic fortitude, although I must confess such sesquipedalian convolutions required alert perusal.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:28 PM   #5
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

LOL, Stephanos.

As Galorme said, I think the disharmony was necessary to make the harmonious music seem even more beautiful.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
kingangmar
Pile O'Bones

kingangmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I so appreciate the comments made on the statement the music seems to be the cu de gras of Tolkiens Mythos and so much can be said said of this one aspect of the mythology so crucial to tolkeins concept of the english mythos.... it's really overwhelming iv'e come to belive in it myself within my on reality in california america....someday mabey we all can wail and thrash bellow and chant recite and recant trill toggle silabate and sing bourne at last into the ancient west
kingangmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 04:57 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Quote:
Following from Tolkien's belief that Arda Marred was the Perfect, the Discord in reality, is merely a Chord.
But if it's perfect already, what is the need to have The End and remake the world?

Or perhaps I misunderstood you?