The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Maglor has just left Hobbiton.
Question about CT's editing hand in the Sil

Hi, folks. I'm new around here, obviously. I performed a search to try to find the answer to this, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask it here.

I'm a big fan of The Silmarillion and have just begun reading it again for the first time in several years. I'm aware that the Sil's place in Tolkien's "canon" is up for debate; I also know that HoME contains a wealth of knowledge dealing with how Christopher Tolkien went about compiling his father's work, and then published posthumously. Unfotunately, I've yet to read HoME.

So my question is this: To what extent did Chrisopher Tolkien play in "editing" his father's work for the Silmarillion? Was he...

A. The "voice", or narrator in effect of the Sil, using the stories written by his father and presenting them in the stylistic manner of his choosing (syntactical, dictional, etc.)

B. Merely the curator of his father's previously written works, splicing them together to form a narrative comprised of JRR's own words

C. Some undefinable combination of the two?

---

I guess what I'm interested in finding out is this: Was it the father's stories and the son's words or was it the father's words and the son's arrangement? I know it's probably somewhere in the middle, but I'd like to know a little about how the book that I'm reading came to be.

Can anyone shed some light?
Maglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Fair enough question!

Given that Tolkien appointed Christopher full rights over his work, we can say that even had Christopher rewritten Tolkien's work in whatever manner he wished, that Tolkien would have been content.

Here's what Tolkien said in his will:

Quote:
’Upon Trust to allow my son Christopher full access to the same* in order that he may act as my Literary Executor with full power to publish edit alter rewrite or complete any work of mine which may be unpublished at my death or to destroy the whole or any part or parts of any such unpublished works as he in his absolute discretion may think fit and subject thereto’

*unpublished works
He was given "absolute discretion", including the right to put the whole lot onto a bonfire if he so wished. During his life, Christopher worked very closely with his father, offering advice and support, and was fully aware of his father's intentions and style, so we can feel comfortable that any works edited by Christopher are edited to the very best standards that they could be. And its a bit of a red herring, this whole 'debate' about whether CT edited works are 'canon' or not, though we must always be careful as one line from HoME may not be 'proof' of a point - we know how much Tolkien changed his mind!

Nobody could have done a better job than CT, except perhaps another member of the Tolkien family; I believe the job will pass on to Adam Tolkien when Christopher passes away. The family are fully involved in the work of the estate and fully involved with The Tolkien Society - don't believe some of the rubbish put about around the net about sinister intentions because it's blatantly untrue and unfair. Sorry, had to say that. It's one of those things which really irks me.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Hey, thanks for responding!

I'm with you really, and do understand that Christopher has the right to do what he has done with his father's work. And for that I am very thankful--The Silmarillion is probably my favorite Tolkien work, and without his contributions in getting the stuff compiled and published we would have been oblivious to the true scope and grandeur of his father's mythology. So I harbor no ill feelings whatsover.

I'm still curious though if the extent of his involvement in arranging the actual word is actually known: Is JRR responsible for the writing style? I know some call it "dry" or "detatched", but I find that a boon to its authority (in a way) and relish the almost poetic flow of language. Do we know if JRR actually wrote his Silmarillion tales in that manner or did Christopher take his father's ideas and present them as such? Knowing that the latter is responsible wouldn't detract from my enjoyment; I'm just wondering who to give credit to .
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
CRT's Editing

Maglor,

The best way to answer your question is to refer you to the History of Middle-earth, especially Volumes X and XI, which contain Tolkien's latest (post-Lord of the Rings) versions of the First Age material.

In general, your Option 2 is essentially correct: the text Christopher published in 1977 was 'assembled,' not written, by him: the words are all JRRT's (well, about 96% aside from half of one chapter), 'selected and arranged' from the Professor's mountain of disparate manuscripts.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Thanks for your response as well. I had wondered how much of a role Christopher Tolkien played...interesting to know that his presence was, for the most part, minimal. And regarding the HoME, it's definitely on my "To-Read" list...so I hope to discover more about the process in due time.

But I appreciate you answering my basic question. Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You may want to take a look at the Silmarillion chapter discussions where I've been highlighting some of the more significant changes and editorial decisions CT made.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Thanks for the link, Aiwendel. I've just purchased Unfinished Tales as well, so already I'm beginning to get a clearer picture about how The Silmarillion was shaped .
Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli
the words are all JRRT's (well, about 96% aside from half of one chapter)
I wasn't sure which one you were referring to at first but now having done a little more research: Doriath, right?