The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Its that time of year again

Now that schools out, I've been planning to lock myself in my room for a month or two and read LOTR. I'm going to start reading it every summer.

How many other people are planning on doing this?
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I can't, you see i go to the summer semester as well as the rest. I will however hibernate with a book and a few games during the semster break. I hope it is long enough.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can't see how this would tie into advanced discussions of Middle-earth. Moving to Novices & Newcomers...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have already started reading it before school has gotten out (I get out on June 18th). But I have only gotten about 100 pages into FOTR because I have not had much time. I really need to re-read it though, I feel very ignorant anytime I go into the Books forum.
Don't lock yourself in your room though, go outside, find a nice chair and pour yourself a glass of lemonaide. That is the way to read LOTR during the summer [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I see the summer as more of a time to spend as much of the day as is humanly possible on the internet and Barrow Downs. Expect to see a lot of me.

Having never read Lotr, I don't keep to a routine of sitting down and reading it once a year a la Christopher Lee. But it is a good suggestion. If I can find time perhaps I could read it this year.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You should read it. It really doesn't take that long. In the summer it only takes me a couple days since I'm pathetic and read for a couple hours at a time, but now that I've discovered this site I'll probably be on here more than reading.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Meela I am shocked! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
You spend so much time on the B-D's and you have NEVER Read LOTR! I highly recommend you do, even my mother who never reads fantasy books is reading it right now. If she can do it, you can to.
Summer is the best of time to read books, you probably could get through LOTR and the Sil during this summer. Give it a chance!

At least try to read FOTR and TTT before ROTK comes out in December.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:22 AM   #8
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will definately be reading it again for the thousandth time this summer, although i'll have to hide away when i do, my dads getting ****ed off that alll i do is read Tolkien instead of better Literature.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]LOL [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 07:24 AM   #9
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think this summer, as I have time, will be spent reading The Silm and Unfinished Tales again, since I've been reading LOTR through the school year. Hope you all have a great summer, in Tolkien and otherwise! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-23-2003, 07:26 AM   #10
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
my dads getting ****ed off that alll i do is read Tolkien instead of better Literature.
'Better literature'? I'm shocked! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I think you've got pretty good taste. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know, I know... I'm a disgrace [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My non-Lotr fan mother has read Lotr before me!

But fear not... actually, fear- the obsession is still strong- I have read the Denethor parts of Rotk [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm starting to stack up my summer reading, not sure if LotR will be there. I've been finding of late (the last several months or so) that I've been dropping into the book and just reading one or two chapters. I've been doing the same thing with Unfinished Tales.

Reread The Simarilion recently and I am currently reading LotR at bed time along with my wife to our youngest son, though that is taking a long time.

It's fun stuff to reread, as you always find something new.

H.C.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 05-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Yes it's definately the time of year to start reading...as i only have two classes right now...at 830am and 220pm [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] . Right now I'm trying to finish the Sil and then Unfinished Tales. Who knows after that? It's so nice to be back here....haven't been for months!

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Elvenglass ]
Old 05-23-2003, 09:30 PM   #14
Dashuka

I actually just reread LotR for the 11th time. I am currently reading.... dont get anoyed... harry potter. i ordered the new book in december and am rereading the forth. feel free to kill me now.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I won't kill you, Dakusha, you're already doing enough damage to yourself by reading those books... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

This summer I plan do do some classical reading. British literature: Milton, Beowulf, maybe a little Tolkien; and French: Hugo, Dumas... And in addition to that I'll be studying classical greek (a highlight) and running for the month of July. (perhaps I'll take on the walk to Rivendell after all...) I would also like to look a bit deeper in Roman and Anglo-Saxon times in the Brittish Isles.

Iarwain
Old 05-28-2003, 03:26 PM   #16
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That sounds wonderful. I think I'd like to delve into some of the northern myths that influenced LOTR. I've been reading some of his shorter works. I've fallen in love with "Leaf By Niggle." I also want to read more George MacDonald who's writing influenced both Tolkien and Lewis.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: greyhavener ]
Old 05-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #17
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I forgot to add up there that I would also like to read some Irish mythology and maybe do some translation work in Latin literature. Maybe also read some Homer, or the Poem of the Cid.
Alright, before I get totally off-topic, I'd also like to pick up the shorter works of Tolkien, like Leaf By Niggle, and really read them 'in-depth.'
Now to find the time to do all this...maybe I'll have to use my air-time to get it all in. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-28-2003, 09:23 PM   #18
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Shield

Oh I also do something similar I just read LOTR every winter… [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!! I love reading it in winter… Sitting by the fire place to get warm in the wee hours of the morning!!! Listening to the wood crackle in the fire place and the rain pouring on your roof… it really is so wonderful that it is indescribable! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #19
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
This summer I plan do do some classical reading. British literature: Milton, Beowulf, maybe a little Tolkien; and French: Hugo, Dumas...
Dumas??? Literature-Shmiterature! Dumas writes some kick-hiney, rip-snortin' yarns, and I love his stuff. Especially THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO!! (Birdie swishes mulberry branch through the air like it was a sword.)

(Sigh) I suppose you'll be reading it in the original French... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #20
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Yup! This time of year is really here and I have survived long enough to face it .
The summer is here , schools out but I do belive that this summer will not be so nice as the last one for I really miss my Melnis .....
But hay , I've found this site so maybe it will not be as bad as I thought . And I could finally finish reading Lord of the Rings [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] (I'm freakin' out to know what hapens in the end) .