The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2000, 08:52 PM   #1
Lady Eowyn
Haunting Spirit

Lady Eowyn has just left Hobbiton.
Ring SMOKIN'

<BR>I don't know if you heard, some organizations ( Asthma and Respiratory Foundation),<br> don't like the idea of anyone smoking in the movies.<br> <br> They ( I quote) &quot; fear the influence on viewers, especially children&quot;.<br> <br> What the.... I'm sorry, this is another one of those stupid things, <br> I can't stand. Who's gonna go to the movies and say <br> &quot;ah, they all smoke pipes in the movies, I gotta start smoking&quot;<br> Come on people.... what about all those movies about druggies???<br> Noone is concerned about that.. Argh. <br> Stuff like that drives me nuts.... I could get a heart-attack :"> <br> I give them this <br> <br> <br> <br> <p>And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom</p>
Lady Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 10:36 PM   #2
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Those dam'd health authorities... they do do a good job with helping asthmatics and the like, but this is too much. Anyway, as the barrow-wight puts it:<br> <br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> Just remember: smoking causes cancer, emphazyme and is bad for pregnant women. But that's just for tobacco. Pipe-weed is awesome for your health!!! Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!<hr></blockquote><br> <p>Usually keeping a lookout over <a href="http://pub24.ezboard.com/bmountgundabad">Mount Gundabad</a> and <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi"> The Barrowdowns</a> Middle-Earth Discussion Boards</p>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 04:41 PM   #3
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Yes, my dear, but never fear!!! Those big pipes will be seen by all in the movies. Check out the latest movie news on the Barrow Downs website for an article which will dispell your fear! <br> <br> -red <p></p>
Old 10-28-2000, 10:11 AM   #4
Grand Admiral Reese
Animated Skeleton

Grand Admiral Reese has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> They'll be smoking in the movie, despite the protests of anti-smoking groups, I presume. Well, the hobbits and Gandalf smoking is sort of important. It should be there, even with current opinion(including mine)of smoking. <p><br>One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to Find them. One Ring to Bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.</br> <br>Administrator @ <a href=http://pub6.ezboard.com/bthegrandadmiralsforums>The Grand Admirals Forums</a>, <a href=http://pub10.ezboard.com/bb5techforums>The Grey Council Forums</a>. </br> <br>Moderator@<a href=http://pub10.ezboard.com/bwattowattasjediorder>Wattowatt's Jedi Order</a>(Misc.& In Depth Discussions), <a href=http://pub14.ezboard.com/bthegrandmoffsforums>The Grand Moff's Forums</a>, <a href=http://pub17.ezboard.com/bexgalsociety>ExGalSociety</a>, <a href=http://pub22.ezboard.com/bpoliticalpoints75696>Political Points</a>(Opinions, Issues,Candidates forums) </p>
Grand Admiral Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2000, 01:36 PM   #5
quam
Haunting Spirit

quam has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> If the hobbits would smoke cigarettes and buy them, saying:&quot;Now this pack of MARLBORO is the best pack I've ever smoked!!&quot; then i wouldn't like it. But a nice pipe, filled with marvellous Southern Star, certainly never hurts.<br> <p>My tolkien favorites are <a href="http://www.tolkientrail.com/"target="web">the Tolkientrail</A>(michael martinez loved it!), <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/">The Barrow-downs</A> and its <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/">forum</a> , <a href = "http://pub24.ezboard.com/bmountgundabad/">Mount Gundabad</A>, <a href="http://pub11.ezboard.com/bbagend16025/">bag end</a> and <a href=http://pub20.ezboard.com/bdunedainscamp/>dunedains camp</a>,where I'm an RPG moderator<br> Please visit < a href="http://www.elendor.net">elendor</a>, the best ME MUSH around! "Quis,Quae,Quid<br> Quem,Quam,Quid"<br> </p>
quam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2000, 12:43 AM   #6
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Well said, quam. <p><i>Farewell! Wherever you fare, until your eyries receive you at the journey’s end!</i></p>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 05:27 PM   #7
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re:actually</b><br><br> Hey I heard once that smoking was bein cut but I guess I read wrong,Im sort of happy that they didnt cut the smokin parts -it adds charm to the hobbits and all-but you gotta relax man you wont enjoy the movies at all if you keep on nit picking <p></p>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 06:05 PM   #8
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Re:actually</b><br><br> WARNING FROM THE SHIRE SURGEON SHERIFF:<br> Smoking pipeweed can inhibit growth and cause outgrowths of hair on the extremities. <p><center> <i>~~~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000">My Bare Bones Webpage</a>~~~</b></i> </center></p>
Old 03-07-2001, 06:28 PM   #9
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR> Re: Re:actually</b><br><br> lol. you so silly. <p>It seems fate is not without a sense of irony.</p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 AM   #10
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <B>WARNING FROM THE SHIRE SURGEON SHERIFF:</B><BR><I>Smoking pipeweed can inhibit growth and cause outgrowths of hair on the extremities.</I> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> This is hilarious!
Arveleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Pipe

I love that warning, too! I mean, come on, it's pipe-weed!!! Old Toby. I don't think you should smoke cigarettes, because of what it does to your health, but this is different. Who knows? Maybe it's good for their health!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> WARNING FROM THE SHIRE SURGEON SHERIFF:<BR>Smoking pipeweed can inhibit growth and cause outgrowths of hair on the extremities. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So hobbits were elves that smoked too much pipeweed. I always wondered why everyone in the fellowship would smoke except Legolas.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Honestly, it would be stretching it to say that "Lord of the Rings made me smoke." In fact, I'd think that the statement: "Lord of the Rings: My Anti-Drug" would be a much more accurate representation of what LotR truly does.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:06 PM   #14
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I always wondered why everyone in the fellowship would smoke except Legolas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Appearently he does. See?<P>http://www.ninecompanions.net/galler...legolas_18.jpg<P>I wonder if this scene was filmed?<BR>See you later! <BR>~M
Old 10-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #15
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I always wondered why everyone in the fellowship would smoke except Legolas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I do not believe that Elves feel the desire for nor fully understand the smoking of pipe weed. In the chapter "Flotsam and Jetsam," when the group begins to smoke their Longbottom Leaf, Legolas says that he wishes to go outside and get some fresh air, rather than sit in a smoke-filled room. It certainly would not seem an Elvish thing to do, inhaling smoke into one's lungs.<P>Although it has been said without evidence in this rather strange thread that smoking pipe-weed is not bad for you, I think that perhaps you are wrong, as Professor Tolkien said in "Concerning Pipe-weed" that it is probably a strain of <I>nicotania</I>.<P>In any event, I think there is no need to get angry at anti-tobacco campaigns. Although I do smoke a pipe (a habit I picked up from reading the Lord of the Rings almost as much as from my father ), I must say that I have absolutely no problem with anti-tobacco organizations trying to get a ban placed on tobacco products in movies (although LotR may be an exception as it is never said in the movie that pipe-weed is tobacco or marijuana). Movies with tobacco use can be a bad influence on children. In fact, even the Fellowship of the Ring movie may have glorified the smoking of pipe weed as harmless and entertaining. But that is enough of this strange rant. <P>Cheers!<BR>-Angmar<p>[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 10-17-2003, 10:38 AM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It certainly would not seem an Elvish thing to do, inhaling smoke into one's lungs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Rather ironic really, given that Elves are immune to disease.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #17
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<P>Oh, Morquesse...that's an arrow he's holding.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:44 PM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That is also an ad for the "Got Milk?" campaign. You really couldn't relate that to tobacco.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #19
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Well, actually, think about this for a few minutes. First of all, Ian McKellen said that it was considered that during the Arrival at Bag End shots of the movie, they would replace the pipe with...<I>toffees??</I> Yep. Gandalf would be sucking on toffees. Man, would that stink!<P>Also, there actually IS an anti-tabacco statement, courtesy of Saruman: "Your love of the Halflings' weed has clearly slowed your mind."
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:55 PM   #20
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Oh, Morquesse...that's an arrow he's holding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh. *lips wrinkle into a sheepish smirk* <P>About smoking in movies, I think people should be more concerned about other things in movies. How about letting your kids see people shooting multiple bullets at another guy & the kids see the volcanos of blood? Lovely. And that's only one thing. The other biggie has been discussed enough here.<BR>~M<p>[ October 19, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 10-20-2003, 12:58 AM   #21
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No smoking in cinemas. It is simple courtesy to others.<P>Even if it is pipe weed...
Old 10-20-2003, 06:13 AM   #22
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that children get far more bad examples considering smoking in real life then in the LOTR movies!<P>Smoking in theaters should not be allowed, simply out of respect for the non-smokers.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #23
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have asthma... If I breath in smoke I go into fits of coughing. Its respect for the non-smokers! (I hope!)
Old 10-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I hate smoking. I think it's a nasty addiction that should be outright abolished, BUT since I also firmly believe that it's not my decision what other people do, I say let people figure it out for themselves.<P>I'm a Straight Edge, but I couldn't smoke if I wanted to, because in addition to being severely allergic to all kinds of smoke, I am an asthmatic. However one of my best friends smokes. Out of respect for me, he doesn't smoke when I'm around and airs out his car if I'm riding with him. It's just the nice thing to do.<P>As for smoking in movies, it is one thing entirely to protest the 'cool' characters in movies sucking on a cancer stick, because that could very well cause kids to say 'he's my role model... I want to be JUST like him'. But when you consider removing an integral part of a work of literature just because it is slightly politically incorrect, that's taking it a bit far. Instead they could just have Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli and the hobbits all have to slow down and cough up a lung while they run away from orcs... Sorry... that was meant to be a short post!<P>My point: smoking isn't good, but that doesn't mean they should cut it from a movie if it was a big part of a book. What if the movie was about overcoming alcoholism? Would they have people drink rootbeer instead?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:04 PM   #25
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Although I'm all for personal (adult) choice on this issue (being partial to the occasional cigar myself), I do object to anything that might make smoking more attractive to minors.<P>So, I'm in two minds about smoking in the LotR films, given that a large proportion of the audience is "underage" as far as smoking is concerned. On the one hand, it is an integral part of the books (and cannot be removed from them unless we get into an ultra-silly censorship situation), But, on the other hand, Jackson has made a number of (well-documented) changes from the books, so why not remove the pipeweed from the films? It is not intrinsically important to the plot.<P>I would hate to see the LotR films without the pipeweed, but society has moved on a lot, in terms of its outlook on tobacco, since these books were written.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:29 AM   #26
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A bit late now, isn't it?<BR>And Mariska, are there really cinemas that allow smoking in them? All the ones I know of here (England) are non-smoking, for which I am extremely grateful. I choke on smoke, even though I am not asthmatic.<BR>I seriously doubt people pick up smoking from films like this. Gangster films, maybe. But from my experience it is people are in a group, and others smoke, so everyone is introduced into it. And bingo- they're hooked. And it isn't only tobacco, unfortunately. Sometimes the parents know and allow it, and even join in. But I am drawing on experiences of people I vaguely know here, not general trends. Just to give you a bit more of an idea- I am 15, and people at my school have been smoking since around year 8 (ages 12-13) unfortunately. I go on the train to and from school, and you see these young kids, who can only be in year 7 (11-12) smoking. Despite the trains being non-smoking. But there you go. These people know about the dangers of smoking, it is drilled into us constantly. But they don't care.<BR>In any case, I think having Gandalf sucking toffees would have...sucked. (No pun intended, honestly... )<p>[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 10-26-2003, 11:28 AM   #27
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well i hate smoking and have an allergy to cigarette smoke, which repvents me breathing in addition to asthma. in real life it is disgusting and no one should be allowed to smoke in the cinema.<P>but i have absolutely no problem with people smoking in movies. LOTR in particular- it is pasrt of them book and really nice bits of it are associated with it ie saruman stealing merry's leaf pack.<P>so many people look cool smoking in movies it would be a shame to stop it. johnny depp (even though he looks cool doing anything), benicio del toro, kevin spacey, brad pitt, ian mckellen etc etc.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:57 PM   #28
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do not think that smoking in Lord of the Rings will lead young people to believe that smoking is cool. I fall into the category of "young people", I have watched the movies (Obviously) and I still dislike smoking. When people smoke near me, I tend to get headaches and feel like I am going to vomit. No movie is going to influence <I>me</I> on that particular issue. <P>Also, in Lord of the Rings, do they smoke cigarettes? No. They smoke <I>pipes</I>. Somehow, I do not believe that people will find pipes particularly cool.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:17 AM   #29
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>are there really cinemas that allow smoking in them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not in Belgium, no, but some previous posts on this topic made it seem like in some countries it does exist, although maybe I read something wrong...<BR>