The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2003, 02:19 PM   #1161
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

-you are endeavouring to get atleast one volume of LOTR in many MANY languages and kick yourself when you go to a country and don't buy one. so far i have TTT in swedish and french, and the whole thing in english and german. i went to poland and didn't buy it [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

-you squeal with delight while reading teh chapter names in said german version because the titles are so adorable AND they have stuck close to it (in french they changed flotsam and jetsam to something that was only one word so OBVIOUSLY it wasn't the same whereas in german it looks pretty good)

-you advise people who only speak english as a second language to read the original english version even if they don't understand it.

-you order said versions from the countries even if you don't go there (next one is going to be ROTK in russian i think).
Old 10-04-2003, 02:24 PM   #1162
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And what exactly is 'Gnomliness'?
Basically, you have a gnome pass, you fit in with the other gnomes. You are gnomely, and you possess gnomliness. Only Gnomes may attend Gnome Parties, or Gatherings. I am an Elder Gnome (I got that position by bribary [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ) so I can give out Gnome passes.

You know you're obsessed when half the stuff on here hardly seems obsessed to you.

When you create campaign missions on computer games based on LotR, I made a Helm's deep mission on Age of Empires.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 03:15 PM   #1163
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Quote:
(in french they changed flotsam and jetsam to something that was only one word so OBVIOUSLY it wasn't the same whereas in german it looks pretty good)
And in the Spanish version, 'Baggins' is changed to 'big bag'. Hah.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #1164
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

When you're favourites file on the net is filled with sites on how to make a hobbit costume. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 09:28 PM   #1165
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Though once, in a football game, I ran down the field and yelled "Elendiiiiiil!" ...and I scored a goal. *shrug* Hey, it works.
~When, while walking in a park with your family, getting miles to Rivendell, you charge twice at poor, unsuspecting passerby, and yell "Elendiiiiillll" in your loudest voice. It was immense fun, although my brother bodily restrained me to keep me from doing it more than twice [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .
Old 10-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #1166
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
-When you hear the word "namae" in Japanese class and mishear it, thinking it was "namarie
I was thinking that myself...

You are obsessed when you start comparing every movie to LOTR, and finding that there arent many movies that do...

...I was watching FOTR the other day with my seven year old cousin, when it came to the part with Elrond telling Isuildor (sp?) to cast the ring into the fires, my cousin Jacob just looks at me and says, "Why doesnt he just push him in?" Now im thinking Surely if the kid gets it, Elrond is either really smart ot REALLY stupid. Im agreeing with the latter....

-When you are sitting around all day and mutter ou tof nowhere, "If only Sauron had a playstation." and then spend the next hour thinking baout what would have happened if he did.

-You watch anyother movie and keep expecting Aragorn to pop up from somewhere. (Ok i was watching Ned Kelly at home and i was thinking just when Orlando BLoom says, "If anyone could get an old man to share is daughter with three larakins like us, id be-" I half expected him to say "Aragorn")

...and im spent.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 12:58 PM   #1167
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Sorry, but how did "Wave Kings at Boromir the disco squid!" or, uh, whatever, get started? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #1168
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

My version of eeny meeny miny mo is:

eenie meenie miny mo,
catch a Hobbit by the toe,
if he yells,
get a star,
name it ________, (I prefer Pippin [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
and throw it far!

(bows and scurries off to annoy brother with major obbsession.) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:47 PM   #1169
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

When you change your MSN screen name to "Hey dol! Merry dol! Hop along my hearties!" just to get people to inquire about it. Then you give them the history of Tom Bombadil! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #1170
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you scare people away on msn when you tell them the entire history of your username on their MB (Idril) right through from the book of lost tales, the early Sil, teh sketch of the mythology to the published silmarillion and then give them the old english and both elvish versions. you get annoyed at them because you were only dispensing a little background information to help them understand...
Old 10-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #1171
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Pipe

~When you play the LotR soundtracks so loudly , your whole bedroom vibrates.

~When you write all your ME names on a foggy window

~When everyone tells you to shut up beacause every time you hear a song that you know a LotR parody to, you sing the LotR version while the original is playing

~When you have learned more about English grammar from your Quenya lessons (and french class) than you have in English class, and English is your native language. (yes I know that's just sad)

~When you have imaginary conversations with real downies in your head (guilty, very guilty!)

Edit:When you write a list of thing to post on this thread so you won't forget as many [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] !

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]
Old 10-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #1172
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

Quote:
When you have learned more about English grammar from your Quenya lessons (and french class) than you have in English class, and English is your native language. (yes I know that's just sad)
Me too! I always know grammar before we learn it in English class because of my Quenya lessons.

Or...when you have learned at least as much from Tolkien and the BD's than you have from school.

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 10-05-2003, 06:58 PM   #1173
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
when you have learned at least as much from Tolkien and the BD's than you have from school.
Exactly!

~When you wonder how anyone could be part of a non-Tolkien related forum
Old 10-05-2003, 09:12 PM   #1174
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

When you nickname your two dogs Slinker and Stinker. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I did that today. It really fits their personalities!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:17 PM   #1175
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When driving all around Eru's green Arda when your Dad & cousin were looking for motorcycle dealerships (that ARN'T OPEN on Sundays!!) for almost 4 hours, you commented how you felt like a Ranger (to which my cousin said, "A Ranger in a car?")
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #1176
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

When you hear common, everyday words, and automatically start quoting a LotR line that has that word in it. Then, quote the rest of the scene that line is from. Or, just ramdomly start quoting your favorite scenes, even if they have nothing to do with what you've been talking about. Every time I see the word 'intelligence,' I start quoting, 'Anyway, you need people of intelligence on the mission... quest... thing.' 'Well, that rules you out, Pip.' Then I'll start quoting the scene from the part: 'If by my life or death I can protect you, I will,' and then finish the scene. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 10-06-2003, 12:26 AM   #1177
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Wow! At last I've finished reading the whole thing! Those were fun! And you gave me real good ideas! By the way, can I join you guys?

Wala lang!
->The True Son of Finrod
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:57 AM   #1178
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Wasn't the Sindarin word for Vala Bala. Wouldn't it be Balar, like in the Isle of Balar?
That's true; the word for Valar in Sindarin is Belain (Balan singular). You are, however, failing to take into account the mutation caused by having the word "in" (the) in front of it. It causes the B to mutate to V.
Quote:
During your schools homecoming game, you cheer not for your team, not for the opposing team, but for numenor.

Also, during the said homecoming game, you scream at the players not to act like pansy elves and tackle someone for eru's sake
*SNORK!* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The next time my dad drags me to a football game I'm going to use those...

~When you're visiting your grandparents house and end up talking to your younger cousin for an hour about the LotR: TT video game for GameBoy Advance as you both happen to have the game.

~During same visit, you wow everyone with your amazingly awesome hobbit "senior portrait" that you had taken as your school picture this year. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

PS: Awesome avatar, Tinuviel of Denton!

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 10-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #1179
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

-When you're name on MSN 'All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost' and then practically fall in love with a year 11 because 'that's LOTR isn't it?' before you've even said hi! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Also, how many people do you know who don't even know what LOTR stands for? I've told my friends about 20 times each and they jus get it [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

All that is gold does not glitter...
elf-girl-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #1180
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Thumbs up

When you have one of those spinny-chair thingies and you're spinning round and round and round in glee because Elijah Wood and Sean Austin are coming to a town just 20 miles from you AND YOU'RE DAD IS TAKING YOU TO SEE THEM! I know I sound an Elijah-bopper, and I know they're not the real Sam and Frodo, but still - *bouncebouncebounce* is the closest I can come to describing it!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #1181
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forgive me if these have been said.

--You do the Froo/Hobbit/Chicken dance at a bonfire or disco

--You read your LotR book at a party, then follow it when your friends take it away

--You attack your friends for taking your book

--You caress the book at refer to it as 'The Preciousssssssss ssss sss'

--You see a car and a horse near to each other and choose to ride the horse to work

--People with long blonde hair make your heart jump and you begin to get out your notebook and pen, then realise they are NOT Legolas, and leave. Later you seem to recall that there was also I very Dwarf like person standing next to 'Legolas'. You are obviously dilusional ^_-
Old 10-06-2003, 04:45 PM   #1182
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

guy who be short-- thou art LUCKY!! Tell us about it when you see them mayhaps? That must be so cool! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #1183
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

~ During a get-to-know-you game in which you have to tell two truths and a lie about yourself, and everyone else has to guess which is the lie, you say as a truth that you can speak elvish, because you know that they'll ask you to speak some, and you want to show off your obsession. I told them to 'bado orch echado meleth.' (go kiss an orc) I did not translate it for them. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Guy who be short: LUCKY!!!
*Elennar once again turns an interesting shade of green*
Old 10-06-2003, 09:04 PM   #1184
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I enjoyed your ideas about the costume. I would love to try that, but since I travel two hours from home to school, some anti-LotR people might mob me.

You know you're obsessed with LotR when...
~When you have a quote for every ocassion. Like when we went tot he beach, I just stood there, the waves at my feet, and I sang "To the Sea."

~When you read the book once a month, and because of that, your reading speed increased so much. I'm like able to finish everything, from Silm, The Hobbit, down to the Trilogy in just two days!

I'm sorry if my additions stinks. It's just that...never mind. I'll just try to be more obsessed.

Wala lang!
->The True Son of Finrod
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #1185
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

When you almost die becasue Elijah Wood and Sean Austin left yesterday. I didn't even get to meet them! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] That is obsessive because 've gone into withdrawal and am not talking to anyone. Also, I am nearly crying. Why, cruel fate? WHY?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #1186
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awww you poor, poor guy. I am almost crying for you. (Another sign of obsession lol).

~When you are walking to the station with your friends and suddenly you start laughing. Your friends automatically look around to see what LOTR related thing it was you were looking at, and just go 'Oh.'
Old 10-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #1187
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Aw, I'm sorry, guy! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] That really sucks. *feels depressed on guy's behalf*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #1188
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

Me too! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] Maybe fate did it because...who knows, maybe you would have gotten in a car crash on your way to see them or something...but since I "don't believe in any of this fate crap" anyway, I'll just shut up with my feeble attempts to cheer you. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And Nilpaurion Felagund - Your additions don't stink at all! It still takes me at least a couple months to read the trilogy. But I've never really been a speed-reader.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 10-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #1189
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awwwwwwww, that totally stinks guy! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I'm so sad, I just used up all my smilies for you. one for every tear I cried.

You know you're obsessed when you had a vary loud discussion (Ok, Ok, argument) with your friend about wizards. She said dumbledore was a wizard, but at first I said no, and then she said yes, and then I settled it when I said "yeah, but he's not an Istari! So ha!" And this is the funny part! She said "Well, how do you know?" I laughed so hard at her!!! *giggles remembering total blank look* Ooh, bad me! I totally take advantage of my frineds.

I'm still trying to figure out if the theater nearest to me is going to play the LOTR special. I've sent about 50 e-mails to the store website, but no response. They've probably blocked my e-mail though. Ahhh, oh well, I'll just go to the nearest one that does, even if it means driving a million mmiles away. ( I doubt it will come to that, but you never know!!!)
Old 10-07-2003, 05:26 PM   #1190
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Oh, how sad, Guy! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I'm not crying, my eyes are watering! I have allergies! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~When, in math class, your teacher starts doing 'eenie, meenie, miney, moe,' and just as he finishes saying 'meenie,' you shout 'DENETHOR!' Just imagine all the weird looks I got... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~When your goal is to do at least one new obsessive thing a day. Notice I used the word new. This means that I do many more obsessive things every day, I just don't post them all because they have already been posted.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 10-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #1191
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You know that you an you High School acquaintances are obsessed when....

On the drama float in the town parade for the fall production of The Hobbit, you all sing:

Hey! Ho! To the bottle I go,
To heal my heart and drown my woe!
Though rain may fall and wind may blow,
And there still beeeee many miles to go!
Sing to the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that roles from hill to plain!
But better thand rain or ripplin' brook,
Is a malt cold beer and save this Took!

and...

Rock and pool is nice and cool.
So juicy sweeet!
I only WISH to catch a FISH!
So juicy SWEEET!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:16 PM   #1192
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Awwwww! Guy who be short, I'm sorry! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I can imagine how you must feel... *hugs* That must be torture... By the way, I love your "location":
Quote:
"my comfy chair, harbouring dark thoughts against you al- Oh, hi there! : waves :"
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Brilliance...

Quote:
Wow! At last I've finished reading the whole thing! Those were fun! And you gave me real good ideas! By the way, can I join you guys?
Sure! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] We love converts! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] *does the convert dance*

Quote:
Also, how many people do you know who don't even know what LOTR stands for?
I had to tell my friends a million times before they actually got it [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I haven't posted in a while, so...

-When you hear the word "wise" and immediatly think "Sam"

-You spend your free time in classes writing LotR alliterations, hoping to revive the Alliterative verse! thread.

-You are more sad about the Jokes thread being closed than about anything else lately [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

-You're more afraid of embarassing yourself in front of fellow Downies than in front of people at school/work ect...
Old 10-07-2003, 08:20 PM   #1193
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

When you see the last name of an author named Gilbreth, and think, 'Oh, cool! His name is a cross between Elbereth and Gilthoniel!!'
Old 10-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #1194
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
When you see the last name of an author named Gilbreth, and think, 'Oh, cool! His name is a cross between Elbereth and Gilthoniel!!'
Heh heh... Arwen, strangly enough, that's the first thing I thought when I saw it. Didn't even finish the post when my mind made that connection [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 04:03 AM   #1195
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
~When, in math class, your teacher starts doing 'eenie, meenie, miney, moe,' and just as he finishes saying 'meenie,' you shout 'DENETHOR!' Just imagine all the weird looks I got...
*rolls on the floor laughing* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 04:30 AM   #1196
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

When you try to teach your three-year old cousin two poems, ie, All that is gold does not glitter etc and the Lore of the Rings. Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #1197
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

When you dance around the house singing Pippin and Merry's song from the Green Dragon, or when you just repeatedly act it out (I do both)
When you talk like Gollum to other people over things, or when you talk like Gollum to yourself when nobody's around (I'm guilty of those, too!)
Arwen
Old 10-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #1198
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

When your mum compares LOTR to community enterprise (don't ask) in the car and you are hyper and begin to hyperventilate. 15 minutes later you calm down.

All that is gold does not glitter...
elf-girl-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #1199
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

When you spend a third of your lunch break explaining the Black Spech to you're school nurse.She says obsessions are good.

I was going to give Elijah a gnome pass... and talk to him in Quenya so he wouldn't understand... Anyway, thanks for all the support, and I'm fine now.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #1200
Mr. Bilbo Baggins Esq.

Pipe

You know you're obsessed with LotR.....

~When, inspite of the fact that you're a girl, Bilbo Baggins is your role model and you use his name on the Barrow-downs Forum.

Sound familiar? Yep, that's me!

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Mr. Bilbo Baggins Esq. ]