Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #41
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Great stuff here from everyone. It's a treat to read.

I'm busier than I even thought I'd be, so I suspect I'll have time just for the odd cameo. Posted one now. Blame Child for the inspiration of such post-modernist self-reflections upon the site.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #42
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, I have been ridiculously busy with 11 hour work days followed by 2 hour church meetings. Who needs Halloween for scary? Anyway, I think this was a great idea, and I am by no means considering it done, but the interest level has obviously died off once the real thing came around. I suggest that next year we start in late September or early October and spend the whole month working up to this.

While I'm at it, it would be cool to do another Yule Log type thing, only start it like the day after American Thanksgiving or something. Just my two cents.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #43
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Still interested here! I'll fill the save later today. It's been a busy week. Lots of time on the road, with no sign of things easing up until February.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Littlemanpoet

Child prods the body to see if there is life..... I do believe she lives, though respiration is shallow. Things were pretty feverish the first few days this was up. Perhaps we're just going through a slower phase.

I do think your idea about an earlier start, though, is a good one for the future.

If you or anyone else wants to head for the library, you are welcome to do so, or you are welcome to continue on with the other subplots.

Undómë, Pio --

Aiwendil has arrived and may have a friend in tow. Feel free to use my character as needed in your burglaring scene.

Point of information ---Hedwig has heard rumors of strange goings on in the world of faerie. Awendil would like to check on the various Tolkien sites on the internet to see if any of them have any hint as to what is going on. So if there is a terminal nearby, that would be good.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-04-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #45
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

And the save is filled.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #46
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
'Fraid mine's a weak post. Hope it can be used. Any edits desired, please say so. Maybe I ought to go get Sid run over by a car. Blah.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #47
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
'Fraid mine's a weak post. Hope it can be used. Any edits desired, please say so. Maybe I ought to go get Sid run over by a car. Blah.
Oh, for heaven's sake, don't kill him. Sheesh. My Josh character is about to begin to try to think of some trick to play on the stuck up snob who refused him treats. Perhaps your Aragorn son of Arathorn could help him....or hinder him....

-- Folwren
Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #48
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #49
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Chuckling at the idea of a 28ish Becca becoming an old lady...

I guess I can change her age. Or assume that young trick'r'treaters see anyone over 17 as 'old.'
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #50
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I dunno, when I was only thirteen or so little kids thought I was a teacher because I was so tall. Not to mention my maturity level at that age was very high.

So it's possible that they would think Becca is old, even though she's only 28ish.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #51
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
So it's possible that they would think Becca is old, even though she's only 28ish.
Quite true. I gave a presentation to a class of second graders earlier this year. When they heard I was 22, they commented on my advancing years. It's all a matter of perspective.

She's going to stay 28.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #52
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esgallhugwen
Last year some of the fifth graders I tutored thought one of the kindergarteners I taught was my very own.

This year I've been confused as faculty (technically admin, but that's just complicated) at my school many times.

When I went Christmas shopping with my mum, a few old ladies thought I was like 14.

Age is relative.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #53
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Chuckling at the idea of a 28ish Becca becoming an old lady...

I guess I can change her age. Or assume that young trick'r'treaters see anyone over 17 as 'old.'
Yeah but my 12 year old (who started out as a 16 year old ) should know better. I'll edit when I get a chance.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #54
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
To let you know, Tish is probably going to end up in a battle for her life and/or the world in general against some canonical baddie (yet to be determined) left over from the 3rd and 4th Ages.

At the very least, she'll encounter ghosts.

It's Halloween. She's Tish. I can't help myself.

Oh my, I could have her encounter the ghost of The Professor himself. Oh the possibilities of a dark graveyard this night are endless.

We'll just have to see, oh yes, we will.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just a reminder:
  • SAVES should be filled within 24 hours/48 at the latest and may be removed from the game at the discretion of the moderator.

I am deleting SAVE posts that run over the 48 hour request.

~*~ Pio
Old 11-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #56
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Sorry to hold things up, but Becca's author will probably be away until Monday night. Cupcake distribution will resume then.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #57
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Well, Child, piosenniel, Dimturiel - I've tried to follow up on your post Child.

Make of it what you will. It could go anywhere from here, I suppose
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #58
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Save filled.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #59
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

A brief reply is now up, and I'm off again. Back late Monday or sometime on Tuesday.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #60
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

This seems to me like a good place to wrap up the thread's story. I have an idea to have Sid turn around and look, and see at least one of the characters that have been introduced into this little story, and turn to tell Becca he'll be back, and then narrate a series of briefly mentioned meetings, such as with a certain pair of hobbits, as well as an old man coming out of a library at a strange time of night, and the young woman with him, who's eyes seem very old, et cetera.

You know, it occurs to me that handled properly, this could work as a very nice little published tale. Lots of interesting characters, with the Becca to Sid passing the special thing on as the sort of spine of the story. There are obvious issues regarding the star, since that is Tolkien literary property, but there might be ways to get around that. Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #61
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Child, Pio, Dimturiel -

Do we want to somehow wrap up our little subplot?

What would you like to do?
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #62
Child of the 7th Age

Undómë -

Yes, I have been a laggard here. My apologies.

The reference to those animals you folk developed was so intriguing, I honestly wasn't sure what to do with it. It's a pity that original animal rpg was never finished.

Do we want to set up a brief skirmish where those inside the library manage to "keep out" the gang of animal creatures, or perhaps alternatively end up finding out they aren't such baddies after all?

Or shall we leave it unfinished and mysterious ..... have them lurk outside the gates, perhaps make a plea to enter--one that is strangely garbled, and then disappear so we never find out what they're really after? This sort of thing intrigues me. Even folk who have one foot in faerie encounter mysteries they truly can't unravel. Plus, loose ends can always be useful for later stories although I have nothing definite in mind.

Any preferences/ideas Pio or Undómë or Dimturiel or shall I flip a coin?

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-26-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #63
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Child, Pio, Undome

Well, from my part, I would like a loose end. It would seem more intresting that way, and more complex. That is my oppinion, but if you guys want something else, it's ok with me.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #64
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Child, Undómë, Dimturiel

I'd like to finish the reference to the animal people. In Dimturiel's post I got the idea that what her character saw were Orcish sort of folk.

The characters I introduced were along the lines of the Native Old Ones from the Charles de Lint books about his fictional town, Newford.

Here's what I was thinking - in de Lint's books those of the Faerie Realm came over the seas to the New World. And met there those of the spirit world/mythlore of North America. I was intending to have this be a band of those ancient Folk of the the Native North-Americans who have crossed over to the 7th Age middle-earth realm with those of their people who've emigrated east across the seas.

Can we have a brief confrontation with the bad guys and let these mysterious strangers lend a brief hand against them?

It needn't be a long episode, but I'd like to bring it to some closure.

But - whatever you folk want to do is fine with me.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An aside - I wrote to Gilthalion a number of months ago and he has given permission to take his premise for the story and whatever posts we'd like to use and play out the Simian Shadow RPG.

Could be fun, eh?

~*~ Pio
Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #65
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
An aside - I wrote to Gilthalion a number of months ago and he has given permission to take his premise for the story and whatever posts we'd like to use and play out the Simian Shadow RPG.

Could be fun, eh?

~*~ Pio
Oooooh! Ask me, ask me! (Will that be in the facetious parodic mode in which it began, or are you planning to make a serious story of it?)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #66
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Child, Pio, Dimturiel

Perhaps we could leave it hanging...

Last edited by Undómë; 11-27-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:27 AM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Hmm...

Perhaps we should play it out and see how it goes.

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with this, but that has never stopped me from posting before! How about I start off by having Aiwendil see some of those strange orc types milling around outside the library looking very nasty and threatening? We can generate some sort of confrontation and those Faerie folk and/or Native American spirits can turn up later to help us and then mysteriously disappear????

That way we can tie up one problem (the orcs), but still have the other group hanging loose. and mysterious

Does this sound doable? In any case, I've put up a save.

Interesting how my mind immediately leaped to Simian Shadow. I guess it was the reference to someone with a "foxy face". I'd love to do something with that someday.

I've read one or two books by Charles DeLint but am no expert. However, there are things in this equation that remind me very vaguely of Gaiman's American Gods.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #68
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
oohhh, ooohhh, I must get my act together. I have at least one more post in mind. Maybe I can tie this one into the action in the library....
Old 11-29-2006, 02:28 AM   #69
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled. The story pushes on.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #70
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alright, then. Jack has shown a way out.

Does someone want to take us through the tunnel and out of doors?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 AM   #71
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Save filled.

The group hasn't made it through the tunnel yet....would someone like to take a stab at the noises heard at the bottom of the stairs?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #72
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I solemnly swear I will actually go somewhere with my Tish plot thing.

Just not today.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #73
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Save filled.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 AM   #74
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'll finish this storyline up, the you can all post a last thing for your characters if you wish.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:51 AM   #75
Child of the 7th Age

Undómë,

That sounds great! I'll get something up for my character after that.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #76
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

OK -- posted. Hope it's alright.

Tried to capture the spirit of those characters you described, Pio.

~ U
Old 12-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #77
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

'Tis done then.....

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~