The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Sauron_the_Abhorred
Animated Skeleton

Sauron_the_Abhorred has just left Hobbiton.
Question About the name....

I have a question-how di Lurtz get his name? I looked everywhere in the books, the index, my Tolkien dictionary, I watched the movies about five times to see if they call him that-but no. Can ya'll tell me how the name Lurtz came to be...?
Sauron_the_Abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lurtz is no where mentioned in the books. It is not Tolkien based. I don't know where it came from in the movie - now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure you're right, the name Lurtz isn't in the movie. My guess is he was just given a name so that people could call him something other than "that one orc who was going to shoot Boromir but Aragorn killed him first." Lurtz is a lot easier to say. It seems like people who make movies do that a lot - for example that one squirrel in Ice Age...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Just because...

I don't know where the name itself came from. Probably because it's similar to a name like Lurch. The name itself wasn't even IN the movie. "Lurtz!" cried Boromir. "I should have KNOWN it was you!" "Yes," growls Lurtz. "I've wanted to do this for so long, Boromir. So long..."

It's worth mentioning though that there is a reason there's a chieftian uruk, instead of just a band of them. Peter Jackson wanted Boromir's death to be a little more worth something than just slain by a mindless orc, and to be killed by the leader of the entire force made it a little more worthwhile. And for Aragorn to take a whack at.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote