The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Is Thorin to remain alive?

I saw on Facebook that Thorin is NOT going to be killed in the third Hobbit movie. This article is what I found as a proof. If this is true, I guess it's a horrible change [although there are many]. Do any of you know if this is true or not?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
Zigr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
I saw on Facebook that Thorin is NOT going to be killed in the third Hobbit movie. This article is what I found as a proof. If this is true, I guess it's a horrible change [although there are many]. Do any of you know if this is true or not?
Don't worry Lotrelf. I'm pretty sure this is just unsubstantiated rumour mongering. I believe Richard Armitage has stated in interviews that Thorin definitely still dies at the end of the story - if anyone can find a link that would be useful, I haven't got the time at hand to find one.

As for Smaug leading the armies of Orcs in the final battle, well, I pray that doesn't come true but I'm worried.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dm

I've heard about the interview too, and hopefully they don't depart from the original story as they have already done. Not that I want Thorin dead, it's just this is how Professor wrote him and no one else has right to do anything with that- especially for money.
As for Smaug thingy, I haven't finished the book yet, so I am not sure what should I say or think, but will do it soon. I hope your fear doesn't come true.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlrien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlrien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlrien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlrien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlrien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Lotrelf, the article you link is just paraphrasing another, which in turn makes some vague claims in the passive voice ("it has been reported" etc.) and cites as its only source an unnamed "website". I wouldn't take any of this too seriously.

-Mind you, practically every other time we've dismissed a rumour about these films as a hoax it's turned out to be true, so let's not get too complacent...
Old 05-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Before I got fed up and unjoined, there was a screamingly funny thread on the Tolkien soc faceache group in response to someone with a petition that Thorin be spared. In it Thorin became Schrdinger's dwarf.

Nothing would surprise me as to the changes Jackson is prepared to make and even justify as respecting Tolkien, in the teeth of the evidence. And we already have Schrdinger's elf (Haldr).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
No offense,but who schrdinger?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Lotrelf, the article you link is just paraphrasing another, which in turn makes some vague claims in the passive voice ("it has been reported" etc.) and cites as its only source an unnamed "website". I wouldn't take any of this too seriously.

-Mind you, practically every other time we've dismissed a rumour about these films as a hoax it's turned out to be true, so let's not get too complacent...
Jeez! I hope what you're saying is true, and the rumour doesn't end up being true too. I think PJ has already made TS members unhappy by giving the movies "his touch". Is he really ready to take another blame on him?
Your rumour being true makes me feel there should be thread entitled "That awkward moment when..." and everyone should reply their "awkward" memories or something.
Like: "That awkward moment when Legolas got bruised fighting with the Orcs." xD
and "That awkward moment when the false news of Thorin's life [being spared] became true."
Mithalwen, are you talking about the scientist Schr02dinger? Please let me know.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes, and his paradox of the cat being both alive and dead ... and I am aware it is. A lot more complicated than that but ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote