The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #241
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
I don't really like the beginning of this track.
I, for one, just love it. The combination of the choir singing triplets while the brass are playing eight and sixteenth notes sounds magnificent, like something big is going to happen. We sure are dealing with the climax of the trilogy here.

"Here at the end; The end of all things." "I cannot reach you I cannot let you leave me."
On screen, we can see and hear the actors, but their dialogue can be heard also through the lyrics of this track. . . Ooh, isn't this almost like in an opera?
I think it's a very nice touch to use one of Tolkien's own compositions here (The Eagles) when all the effort, different characters and their journeys are tied together. However, my favourite poem in this track is "The Mountain of Fire".

Here at the end;
The end of all things.
The air is aflame,
All the world is on fire!

Wow.

It may be just me, but I think that there's something similar in the little brass solos in this track, The End of All Things, at 1:47ish, and back where it all started, in The Prophecy, somewhere around one minute. The latter is much softer, well, a gentle image, a prophecy, of what it will become in the End. I don't know if this connection (if there is one, that is) is intentional, but to me it's just another jewel that makes the score so wonderful.

There were Howard Shore's comments about this track, too, in the Music from the Movies magazine and I'd like to quote here extracts from the interview.

"When Gollum gets The Ring, this is Renée Fleming's second aria; your dynamic approach to this seems to be the key to this part of the film."

"You hear the full two hundred piece choir and orchestra and then it just stops and you hear Renée accapella. Two hundred pieces to only one voice, to highlight the moment.

The biggest orchestration in the film is really right in that section of Mount Doom where Frodo decides not to destroy The Ring. He's standing on the edge of the Crack of Doom and Sam is saying, "Throw it in, destroy it, destroy it!" and Frodo in anguish decides that he's not going to destroy it and he tears it from its chain around his neck. Then Gollum finally leaps on Frodo and gets The Ring. I created musical contrast to highlight the fact that Gollum now has The Ring. It's a specific shot; it's an overhead shot of Gollum holding The Ring up over his head. It's a joyous moment.

Renée's solo lasts four or five bars, and then the orchestra enters and the score starts to build back up again. The choir actually comes back when Frodo regains his strength after losing The Ring. As Frodo approaches Gollum the chorus comes back in and there's this massive sound, it's the climax of the movie, that's when Frodo struggles with Gollum and pushes him over the ledge into the lava with The Ring. This scene was incredibly important for me. This is a very iconic scene in the movie and the book, so you had to be prepared to write that. It took three years to write that piece."

Edit: Page 7!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #242
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh my goodness! Those transations and explenations you gave Enca were beautifully done!

When I first heard the track, I didn't like it much, but when I was alone and sewing, I would actually listen to it, and then the whole struggle, and the beauty, both attacked me at once, and it almost makes me cry every time I hear it. And now. . .now with what you've said. . .well, music always has gotten to me in a strange way.

Most people, I notice, who hear that song and don't actually listen to it, and who also don't know the story/movie, don't tend to like it so much. But when you sit down, and think about what the music is saying (in the words and instruments), then it can get really powerful.

-- Folwren
Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #243
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I do like this track when I am in the mood. However, what I often find is that I can't listen to LOTR as just background music. When the music is on (from FOTR,TTT,ROTK) it demands me attention and if I miss parts of the tracks I feel bad for ignoring it.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:44 AM   #244
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree Track 17: the Return of the King

The opening of this track is soft and gentle (like the peace after the battle), in sharp contrast to the horrors our heroes have just experienced. Strings are soon joined by the flute, playing music reminiscient of the Shire's. By 1:20, brass has joined in as well to perform the Fellowship theme -- it is, after all, the first time the Fellowship (except dead Boromir) has been together since the Breaking back in FotR. Upon Sam's entrance at about 1:47, the flute returns to play the Shire theme.

At 2:16, we are out atop Minas Tirith at the coronation ceremony; the music is gentle but majestic, and the horn plays the Gondor theme. At 3:46, we have Viggo's lovely solo:

Quote:
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta

Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come.
In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world
The Fellowship theme returns briefly before Renee Fleming's solo, signaling the appearance of Arwen:

Quote:
Tinúviel elvanui
Elleth alfirin
edhelhael
O hon ring finnil fuinui
A renc gelebrin thiliol...

Tinúviel [the] elven-fair,
Immortal maiden elven-wise,
About him cast [her] night-dark hair,
And arms [like] silver glimmering...
The strings move this into another brief solo by Sir Galway; then the Shire theme is heard as the people of Minas Tirith bow down to our hobbity heroes.

By 6:42 we are panning out, and look, the city turned into a map! The music in this bit does not seem to follow any certain theme, but at 7:22, the Shire theme is repeated on flute yet another time. The music is similar to that at the beginning of the trilogy, with the soft beats underneath the melody. At 8:22, a fiddle plays a variation of the theme, too. Even though the same melody is repeated, it is much sadder and darker. This changes at 9:23, when Sam gets his little spurt of courage, and marries Rosie. The music takes a brief happy turn, quite like the original Shire music, but then moves back to a more sorrowful sound.

Only two more tracks left!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #245
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I love this track, mainly because it brings in most of the themes from other tracks, all except the evil themes and Rohan's theme I think.

The part played during Aragorn's coronation is probably my favorite of the whole piece. The French Horn plays the Gondor theme and the strings play counter to it. And it sets the stage for Viggo's singing.

The theme first heard in FOTR when Arwen saves Frodo returns as she comes onto the screen. Such pretty vocals.

In the end we are returned to the Shire and the fiddle plays the heroes are coming home. There's even a bit of the Fellowship theme mixed in just before the faster theme of the Shire begins.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:53 AM   #246
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Some thoughts

Here we have over 10 minutes of lovely motifs bound together. At this point when watching RotK, I usually get a little distracted because I know that the film will end soon. We've been following a 11-hour-long story that began already in year 2001 (What! It's been over four years since FotR came into theatres), and it's quite sad, really, that this is the beginning of the last 20 minutes, or so. It's also the beginning of the many "endings" of RotK - you know, the film could have ended in Minas Tirith turning into a map, the Hobbits returning to the Shire, the last ship to Valinor setting off... Maybe it's a subtle way to remind the viewers that it's soon time to return to RL from Middle-earth. Heh, kind of when your alarm clock goes off in the morning and you don't want to wake up, you hit "snooze" and get to continue sleeping yet for a while before you really have to get up. This can be heard in the score, too. Although the rest of the film is full of happy moments like the reunion of the Fellowship, the coronation and Sam and Rosie's wedding, we don't see or hear that kind of a spirited joy that we saw at Bilbo's birthday party, for example, but this is much more serene happines that is mixed with melancholy.

We hear Renée Fleming's last solo of Arwen, and as Kitanna said, this is the same theme we heard when we first saw Arwen at Troll Shaw. The lyrics are exactly the same and Arwen's part in this story ends to the same words that it began with. We will not see her again.

One of the most interesting things on this track is that it's not the Tin Whistle anymore that plays the theme when the Hobbits return to the Shire, but the flute. The Hobbits have changed quite a bit and using another instrument here is a nice way to show that.

Here's what Howard Shore tells about Viggo Mortensen's solo: "He sang it when they filmed it and I created a piece to accompany it. Viggo created the melody. This is when Aragorn sings acapella for a few bars and then chorus enters to join him in accompaniment."

So, like Billy Boyd, Viggo got to compose his own solo, too. Great job, I say. The solo is very nice, but he sings it so softly that it's hard to tell whether he's singing it for the people who are gathered to his coronation or if he's singing it to himself.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #247
Magpie

I've been reading along... wanting to take time to post my own thoughts but not ever doing so. Partly, I tell myself, it's because I'm so busy and I never like to do things unless I can do them properly. But I think, it's a bit of Legolas... for me the grief is still too near. What I mean is, the last few tracks of ROTK hold tremendous emotional power over me and I stand in awe of it almost. I don't know if I can do it justice. I don't know if I can bear a close look.

But so many of you are writing what I'm feeling and I love reading it. I wrote very little of my emotional responses to the soundtrack when doing my website. This track was one rare exception. I wrote a lot of really personal stuff but I'll copy out the part pertinent to Track 17, The Return of the King.

I've been listening to ROTK a lot at bedtime. It swirls in my ears as I fall asleep. Often, I wake up at the beginning of "The End of All Things", perhaps because it has such bombastic opening music. But I think I know it's coming... the end, and my mind needs to take it in. When I list my 'favorite' music from the soundtrack, I rarely list the battle music, or the 'contentious' music. It just doesn't drift up the list. But "The End of All Things" really fits the emotions of the activity on screen so well. My brain sits up and takes notice. Then... it comes. "The Return of the King". It's a long track and it holds, for me, the essence of the goodbyes. It's during this track that we see the last of Gimli, then Éowyn and Faramir, and Éomer... Legolas... and finally, Aragorn and Arwen. It's during this track that we hear the last (bar a few echoed notes) of the Fellowship Theme.

The rest of the soundtrack is sweet. But I've already endured the hardest, the breaking of the Fellowship. I'm resigned now. It will end and I will go on.

For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream.
It isn't often that something evokes a strong emotional reaction and then continues evoking that reaction after repeated exposures. Repetition breeds familiarity, numbness, comfort... whatever. But these last tracks, End of All Things, Return of the King, and The Grey Havens don't lose any of their potency for me. It makes me wonder what it was like for Howard Shore to write, orchestrate and record this music. I wonder if he was as caught up in it as we are. I think maybe he was.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #248
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I love this track. For me it brings smiles and tears. I think the music clearly shows how Howard Shore feels. I can just hear from the music that he is just as reluctant as we are to leave ME.(Especially in the Greay Havens)
At the beginning of the track I have to smile as the flute begins to play.
The Tin whistle is replaced by the flute because it shows that all the hobbits have matured and grown up.
Depending on my moof this track has various affects on me. Sometimes I get all teary,sometimes I just smile, and sometimes it makes me feel really calm after a hectic day. So every time I listen to this track it is a surprise because every time I feel something different.
I really like Viggo's solo because songs are such an important part of this book,it shows the multitude of cultures and traditions that ME has.
Renee Fleming's voice is breathtaking, she has such a mellow voice but at the same time it is also very pure, in other words it fits Arwen well.
James Galway steals my heart as he plays the flute solo and it makes me feel sad.However, when the theme is repeated I have to smile since it reminds me of the happiness that was there at the beginning of the book and now it returns for Merry,Pippin and Sam. As for Frodo,I'm not sure. I know that it is a mix for me. I am happy that evil is destroyed but I am sad because Frodo has to leave.
So as you can see this is an important track for me.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #249
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

The track begins with Galway on the tin whistle with the low strings on a pedal tone. Then the music moves into something which hints at the Shire theme; at 0:51 we hear a brief bit of the Fellowship theme mixed in with the Havens music. The sound here is gentle but sorrowful, which reminds me of the tranquil Sea they stand by. Also, I'm pretty sure I hear a harp in there somewhere, which gives it an almost magical feel.

At 2:19, the music is the same as that of the Breaking of the Fellowship and Sam's promise not to leave Frodo. Here we have another breaking, this time of the hobbits' own group, and Sam can't keep that promise anymore.

At 3:22, the Shire theme comes in, with the whistle once more. This develops until 4:40, at which point the music of the Havens/Into the West takes over. Beginning at 5:12, the choir sings:

Quote:
Dartha o nas a thar emyn
Men 'wain egor annon thurin
Ah ae anann erphennin hain
Na vedui cenithon aur wain
I badathon raid yriel
Amrûn n'Anor, Annûn n'Ithil.

Still round a corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.
Since it is sung so quietly, it's difficult to hear how much is sung. But it makes me very, very happy that it's in there because I love that poem ever so much.

By the way, great responses last time, everyone. It's amazing how much a single track of music can affect us so strongly.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #250
Magpie

Only Amrûn n'Anor, Annûn n'Ithil. is sung at 5:17... in this track anyhow.

The whole thing is sung (in English) in Use Well the Days.

The music that was heard at the Breaking of the Fellowship was named by the group I hung with as "The Wisdom of Gandalf." I think our analysis of it would probably differ from Shore's and I have yet to read Doug Adams' notes on this. But it's actually used in a couple of places. You can read what I wrote here: Wisdom of Gandalf

I have sound files of that final music heard as Sam returns to the Shire that I'd like to share if that's acceptable. I don't share music that is available commercially but this isn't, except on the movie DVDs and I'm going to assume you all have those. But I don't know the policies of this board so I'll ask first. For me, that music was as sweet as anything in the Grey Havens. When that green door closes and the words "The End" come up (you might note that 'the end' is not used in the other two movies) well... it's hard. The words, "I'm back" used to move me to sobbing when I read the book. I'm not sure why. But in that moment in the movie, I am 100% connected to the movies, the books, and my personal relationship to them which is deep. It is bliss.

The End of All Things is filled with dramatic tension and ROTK is emotionally wrenching. I think by time I get to the Grey Havens, I'm spent and the music knows it. It goes easy on us.... not so much in that it's soothing or comforting. But more that it just doesn't demand our souls. I think PJ and HS know that we have to return to the real world soon and they're gently preparing us. (Someone commented on this for the previous track and I totally agree.) When ROTK plays in my ears at bedtime, I usually fall asleep pretty quickly but wake at The End of All Things. I'm there for it and ROTK.. but by the Grey Havens, I'm starting to drift back to sleep. All will be okay. Maybe not right now... but in time. I think it's brilliant psychology.

(Hope this makes some sense. I've been up late on a project and am exhausted. But just can't turn away from a soundtrack post that I can contribute to. Night all.)
Old 01-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #251
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I love this track, even though it makes me very sad. Gently we are taken away from ME just as Frodo is but...Every time I listen to this track my eyes get watery.
Throughout this track it seems like it is delaying the ending. Each time you think it is about to end it goes on for another minute. I don't mind this at all and sometimes it even soothes me.
It is also nice and quiet after all the battle music that dominates over half of the soundtrack.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #252
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Magpie, I don't think sharing that file should be a problem, although you might want to double-check with a moderator just in case.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #253
Magpie

sorry, this limited time only offer has expired.

Last edited by Magpie; 05-15-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #254
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Tolkien Track 19: Into the West

Last track, my dears!

It's difficult for me to say which of the three "end titles" songs is my favorite, as I love them all so much. But if I had to pick, it would probably be Into the West. The lyrics are lovely, and it's fun to sing harmony along with it. I think Annie Lennox was a good choice, as she has that rather androgynous image which is associated with the Elves. In fact, I think her voice is pretty close to what I'd imagine Galadriel's to sound like. I also love the use of the French horn.

Although the lyrics are obviously in English, I'm going to post them here for discussion purposes:

Quote:
Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across a distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All Souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say
We have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

What can you see...

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West
Who would you say is the speaker here? There are some parts which would seem to be Sam ("here in my arms just sleeping"), others which sound more like Galadriel or Gandalf ("all will turn to silver glass"), even bits which could be Frodo ("you and I will meet again"). I don't think we can pick any one speaker, but I like the effect we get here with all the different possibilities.

When the singing ends, we hear the music of the Havens, with the moving violins reflecting gentle waters and peace. The use of strings almost reminds me of Mendelssohn's "Fingal's Cave/Hebrides Overture," except not as harsh and dramatic. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this last track.

I suppose that's it! Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, to Esty for her support, to Magpie for her awesome and insightful website, and to Gwaith-i-Phethdain for the lyrics. It's been fun!

Musically yours,
Enca
Old 02-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #255
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The last Track already?
The best thing about this track is the lyrics, I love them. I also like Annie Lennox but I do have a problem with the way she suddenly raises the volume in the chorus, sometimes it sounds a little like she is at the edge of yelling, "On the horizon." But it probably sounds like that because not only do the dynamics go up, she goes into a higher range as well.
I remember when Annie Lennox sand this song at the oscars, it was definitly the best song from all the other ones I heard at the ceremonies that year.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 AM   #256
Mischievous Candle

First of all, thank you, Enca, this has been a huge commitment for you!

I think this is the most wonderful and emotional closing track of the three films. I like the way that The Grey Havens and Into the West are related by using a same theme.

Also, it's so beautiful how the lyrics tell you of a new better land while guitars and a bodhran on the background remind you of the Shire. I've always thought that it's Galadriel, who's singing this song to Frodo and I think Annie Lennox's voice is perfect for this. Did you know that since the third movie's title was the Return of the King, PJ and his crew considered using a male voice to sing the end title? Well, I'm glad that they chose Lennox instead.

Here's again something that Mr. Shore said in an interview:

Tell me about your idea to add on that one minute finale to 'Into the West', after Annie's vocal is finished.
I just wanted to write an ending to the trilogy, a piece you hadn't heard. In a way it's an ending, but it's also a new beginning. There's connection in both pieces to Ring mythology. I had to write a statement that this is the end of the trilogy. It ends in reflection really, the end of the movie as a parting. Sam stays in The Shire and has a family, it's a rebirth.

I first didn't like the little outro there, but now I think that it's something that might be needed. I don't see it as much as a new beginning or a rebirth as a gentle nudge to tell us that 'seriously guys, this is the end'.

During this track, I clearly see in my mind how the ship sails towards Undying Lands and when that outro begins, it feels like it's finally time to part from Frodo. I see the ship sailing away while I'm left behind because that's when they reach Valinor, and I can't go there.

Quote:
I remember when Annie Lennox sand this song at the oscars, it was definitly the best song from all the other ones I heard at the ceremonies that year.
I remember that, too. I think Lennox's performance didn't go so well there, but it was definitely the best song and worthy of an Oscar.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #257
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I remember thinking that Annie Lennox looked really nervous when she sang "Into the west"

Anyway it has been great to see this thread through all the way from the beginning to the end. It is a first for me since I often loose interests in threads before they are halfway through.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #258
Magpie

I'm sad to see this end, as well. I would love to find a new discussion that could engage people as well as this one has.

Onto the track.

I was not as pleased with this track as many others were. You're free to kind of skip over the next few paragraphs if you like.

What I've loved about the soundtrack music never seem to be present in the end of the movies songs. I'm a huge fan of Enya's but I thought her writing fell short on both Aniron and May it Be. I can sing along with both of them and be 'happy' (hey.. just singing makes me happy) but I don't get that same feeling as I do from the rest of the soundtrack. I do enjoy But in Dreams more than May It Be. I also enjoy Gollum's Song quite a bit since it contains all kinds of wonderful Gollumness in Emiliana's voice. But on to Into the West.

I struggle with a number of issues. The voice is confusing... that is, 'who is talking?' (And the triad have confirmed that it's Galadriel) It's a question oft asked and I think it's due mainly to (ahem...) poor writing. (Back to May It Be.. that song makes no sense to me in parts) As much as I love the movies, there are parts were I feel the PJ imposed his own stuff in a way that (for me) did not improve anything... was counter to the book... and actually lessened my enjoyment of the movies. I will defend his right to do so, but I don't personally enjoy or approve of those decisions. I think that's what happened with this song. I thing their whole relationship with Cameron directed them enormously. Again, it's not that I blame them or disapprove... it's just that this song doesn't work for me. And, in a way, I don't even think it was written for me.. the Tolkien fan. I think it was something they needed to do for themselves.

I don't know if it would have worked better for an end of the movie song, but I like both the message and the melody of Use Well the Days better. I think Into the West is a song meant to comfort that person crossing over. Use Well the Days is meant to comfort those left behind.

Although I enjoyed Annie's singing on the CD well enough, I saw her sing live on numerous tv shows around the time of the Oscars and I never heard her sing it well. (Again... my opinion... I'm comfortable with people disagreeing) In fact, I kind of think Scarlet Tide was robbed and I think Alison Krause greatly outsung Annie Lennox. (I will admit that the music from Cold Mountain is a huge favorite of mine and I find Scarlet Tide is a haunting, beautiful song.)

Be that as it may, like it or not, the music represents more than just notes or melody. It represents my whole intense relationship to the movies, the music and the book/story. Into the West came out even before the soundtrack CD which itself predated the movies. I listened for the first time and came to that quiet ending that just faded away. I knew then, that that fading was a perfect embodiedment of the fading of the Elves, the fading of Frodo, the fading of the books... Frodo leaves Sam and the story leaves us and we are left behind. That fading... it did it for me. I wrote this back 2 some years ago...
I listened to the last moments of the CD in the car as I drove up to home. I sat there in tears and realized that at some point, I will hear those notes and it will all be over. Over! No more theatrical showings. No more news on filming. No more speculations or spoilers. No more new scenes of my long-haired Elves.

PJ, I take back every criticism I ever voiced. I don't care that Imrahil wasn't in there. I don't care that Faramir has flaws. I don't care that you killed Haldir. Keep Middle-earth coming. I love the books and I always will. But those images are so dear to me and for me, the two... your images and Tolkien's words... are tied together inextricably.

Excuse me I need a tissue....
So, Into the West isn't a total wash for me. It's part of the movie. Like flaws in family members, I take the good with the bad.

Endings are a big focus for me. They have been personally for some time and this story is all about endings. I find it interesting that there are a number of musical endings. One is the soundtrack cd with it's fade away ending. Then there is Sam back at Bag Shot row (clip provided in an earlier post) with the green door closing and us on the outside and the words "The End" (meaning, I think, "GO HOME" as Tracy Ullman used to say.). Then there is the different ending at the end of the Theatrical Credits which is a little less fadey than the CD. Then... there's the ending of the music as it's heard on the ROTK Fan Credits. This music is heartbreakingly beautiful and I wonder how many people have paid attention to it. I now have my travel copy of ROTK with this music tacked onto the end. This is my final moments for the soundtrack.

I went through an intense period of writing about Tolkien in an online class (Barnes and Noble University) and a few forums... now defunct. I don't have the energy to do much of that now, but I still can find the energy to talk about the soundtrack. I've enjoyed having the opportunity to do some of that here. Thank you to Encaitare for shepherding us. Thanks to the rest of you for accepting me. (And putting up with my long winded emotional responses.) I will miss coming here and I would like to see more opportunity for a soundtrack discussion of some kind (how many have the Complete Recordings... she says with a hopeful look in her eye).

Ta,
Magpie

Last edited by Magpie; 05-15-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #259
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, Magpie there might be some hope because I got the complete recordings this christmas and I would be more then happy to discuss it, including the booklet that came with it.

I have watched all the credits for all the movies just to listen to the music. Listen to the end of ROTK EE. During the fan credits there is an amazing song there that has brought me to tears. I don't know what it is called but I haven't heard it anywhere else.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #260
Magpie

Quote:
I have watched all the credits for all the movies just to listen to the music. Listen to the end of ROTK EE. During the fan credits there is an amazing song there that has brought me to tears. I don't know what it is called but I haven't heard it anywhere else.
My guess is it's the Sissel song. That has that piercing female vocals. Bilbo's Song is sung by a boy's choir. It's has a soothing but sad quality. They are both very evocative in their own way.) On that same page (which is quite minimal) you can follow a link to my website where I discuss the Fan Credits of ROTK. If you want a direct link there, follow THIS LINK
I have been so busy with school, an internship, and real life, that I have done very little with the new information from the Complete Recordings. I hope to complete an update on lyrics very soon. But I haven't done more than just glance at the theme information. A discussion would be good incentive for me to at least read that information!

Last edited by Magpie; 05-15-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #261
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

The Tennis Ball Kid has just left Hobbiton.
Three things:

Thank you to Enc for hosting this lovely thread.

I'd be open to discussion of the complete set....

News on TTT Complete Recordings, this seemed the most logical place to post it:
Quote:
The Two Towers boxed set is likely to show up in record stores toward the end of 2006, which should allow cash-strapped collectors time to recover from the hefty cost of the complete Fellowship of the Rings release. “That’s why I thought by putting them out once a year it allowed some break between the releases so people could catch up a bit. And it also takes us so long to do it. It’s a complicated process to restore the pieces and edit it all together into new tracks and it takes a while to get it all done.”

ttbk
The Tennis Ball Kid is offline   Reply With Quote