The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I hope to have a published book to promote by then, so I am planning to come. I also plan to sew an awesome new costume to show off!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #42
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
What is it Esty, what is it, what is it, what is it.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #43
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm not telling. To quote Gandalf:
Quote:
Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #44
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
I also plan to sew an awesome new costume to show off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narf
What is it Esty, what is it, what is it, what is it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
I"m not telling.
If it is what I think it is, it is a very clever idea, highly original and unique, superbly chosen. And with Esty's excellent seamstress skills, it will be very well done. (Hint: I don't think it will include spandex.)

Having blown all the holiday money (and expended a few carbon footprints) on a trip to Italy this spring, regretfully at this point I think I'll have to pass on Oxonmoot again this year. But I do want to attend one of these years. After all, I have an awesome teeshirt that needs to be introduced to Tolkien fans.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #45
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Can someone explain this to me. On the usual TS website the Oxonmoot page looks like this;

http://www.tolkiensociety.eu/oxon/index.html

It still says "Next Oxonmoot will be held in Oxford from the 25th to the 28th of September 2008 in Christ Church", which is last year's Oxonmoot.

However, if you do a Google search for 'Oxonmoot' you can find this page;

http://www.oxonmoot.org/index.php

Which says "Oxonmoot 2009 will take place at Lady Margaret Hall from 25th September 2009 to 27th September 2009".

Has the TS made a separate website for Oxonmoot then?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #46
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You're no fun Esty. So I'm not going to tell you which Blue Wizard beginning with P I'm going as this year...................
Old 07-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #47
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Oxonmoot bookings are now open!!

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/oxon/

I just booked my place and must now turn my thoughts to costumes. It will take a lot to beat last year's one; Tolkien, I think. But I will try!
Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #48
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

.......and I will of course buy you a pint of something noxious, during the weekend. See you there.

Best Regards.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #49
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
.......and I will of course buy you a pint of something noxious, during the weekend. See you there.

Best Regards.
That'll have to be some far gone off milk for it to be NOXIOUS, narff.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #50
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Milk!, is that the white stuff that cows drink?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #51
merpcon
Newly Deceased

merpcon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting MerpCon V Tolkien Moot 2009 starts tomorrow...

Webcams are up and running as we begin setting up.
Chatroom running.
Audio streams begin tomorrow.
Registration and events begin tomorrow, July 24th 4:00 pm Pacific time.
Details and webcams here:

http://www.merpcon.com

http://www.merpcon.com/about/schedule

Published author and Tolkien essayist is guest speaker this year.
Plus we will have a panel from the audience,
and we will be having a live broadcast of episode 14 of Middle-earth Talk Radio
http://www.middle-earthradio.com

Swing on by online.
Cheers!
merpcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #52
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well it's now September, Oxonmoot is just a few weeks away!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #53
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Well it's now September, Oxonmoot is just a few weeks away!
Yeah, rub it in

Bah, I'm sulking because I've had to spend loads of cash on a new computer. It is a very nice computer though, and it's all mine and davem can't turf me off it.

It's beans on toast for a few weeks now...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #54
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Yeah, rub it in

Bah, I'm sulking because I've had to spend loads of cash on a new computer. It is a very nice computer though, and it's all mine and davem can't turf me off it.

Is it Preciousss Lal
Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #55
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Yeah, rub it in

Oh well Lal I am sure if you really miss the experience you can summon up some dire guitar playing (not sure there is another kind really ) and sub-Vogon poetry...
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #56
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
Is it Preciousss Lal
Yessss, it's my precioussss.

Soooo shiny and nice and thingsssssss. Until I spill tea into it like the last one and fill it up with music files that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh well Lal I am sure if you really miss the experience you can summon up some dire guitar playing (not sure there is another kind really ) and sub-Vogon poetry...
Yeah, I can supply those myself pretty well. I shan't be doing the Springle Ring while wearing what looks like a merkin on my feet though.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #57
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I am completely broke after purchasing books for my courses and flight tickets to London!

Who else is coming to the Oxonmoot this year?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #58
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye

What a pity... I was sad because the German Tolkien Society didn't seem to meet anywhere in the northwest for something special, and now that I'm studying in the south of Germany, where I thought they would rather plan something, I find out the Seminar for 2010 is in the east.
Surely, a curse of Morgoth.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #59
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, it's done. At the second last moment on the last day I registered for Oxonmoot. Blame Mr. Berry for his prodding. He says he expects to hear that I am kicked out of Oxford.

I'm now waiting for word from Air Gwahir. So, I guess I'll be seeing you there, Rune, narf, Esty, and Hookbill.

I doubt I'll have a costume ready though. I'm looking forward to hearing the panel speak about Esty's music book.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 09-04-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #60
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Now I'm even more annoyed!

Still, would Oxford really be ready for the reign of terror that the young fella would inflict upon it in his search for triangles?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #61
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Many mootings

Oxford's survived several invasions, one civil war and the Luftwaffe: I'm pretty sure it could withstand one more quest for geometry.

I will, of course, be joining the happy throng for Oxonmoot, which is a good thing for Bethberry since I'm her chauffeur for the weekend. It's shaping up to be a good one again, so hopefully the end of the month will see a truly ludicrous number of accounts in the meetings thread.

Is there to be another Oxonmoot special of the Downer, Hookbill? With an easier crossword, perchance?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #62
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh View Post
Is there to be another Oxonmoot special of the Downer, Hookbill? With an easier crossword, perchance?
Fraid not.
But I'll be bringing a lap top with everything of P&A 3 on it. If you ask nicely (and pay me a few hundred pounds) I might share them with anyone who's interested.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #63
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I'll give you three and sixpence and a pickled egg. I defy you to get a better offer than that.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #64
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

Still, would Oxford really be ready for the reign of terror that the young fella would inflict upon it in his search for triangles?
If we could incite him to do the range of terror thing during the guitar playing / sub-vogon poetry recital I might be able to face going again.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #65
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:

I can imagine him playing with Lyra and gyptians quite easily.

We made a trek over the pond and around Amsterdam and Koln with a 26 month old and a 46 month old and both cities survived.

Since I'm also staying Sunday night (due to the exigencies of my kind and gracious chauffeur), could you and davem and the little one come for a day visit just on Sunday? You could skip the Oxonmoot expenses and still make a Downer social gathering.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #66
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

It's a bit too far for a day trip, but I'm thinking we may manage one night as we could find one of these Travel Inns cheap on the outskirts - this all depends on the car being 'fit' though - part of the bonnet has popped up by half an inch and if you drive fast it's quite terrifying because it sounds like you're in a jumbo jet

Oddly, I wish they'd not actually have Oxonmoot in Oxford as it's an impossible place to get to - horrible to drive around, impossible to park and just that bit too expensive on the train. So, I'm looking forwards to the event in 2012 in Loughborough!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #67
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Duct tape! I know someone who lost the lock/key on the gas--petrol!--and used duct tape to keep the cover closed.

It would be great if you and davem and Sir Elf could make it, Lal. And of course Mithalwen too, although I don't know where she comes from, but I'm sure it's not as far as I'm coming.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #68
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I am going to consider a trip, actually going to Oxonmoot would be a waste as we'd just have to take it in turns to entertain the Whirlwind, but we'll have to see what transport and money allows! I have visions of my bonnet flying open one day soon and having to drive like one of the Dukes of Hazzard, hangin' outta the window
Old 09-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #69
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I am amazed and delighted that Bethberry is traveling to the oxonmoot, should be lovely.

Also Lal and Davem, you simply have to come! and I will gladly offer my taxi service once again, if it makes things a bit easier for you.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #70
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes I agree, they should both come, and bring the little one with them, I haven't eaten for a while.........
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #71
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I am going to consider a trip, actually going to Oxonmoot would be a waste as we'd just have to take it in turns to entertain the Whirlwind,
I think you need to go retro and get a strap like on an old Jag XK 120 Industril quantities of duck tape might do it.. or enterprise do weekend hire rates starting at about £12 a day if you are really worried. I booked the cheapest car and got upgraded 3 levels But you can get much cheaper all risks insurance separately on line than the one they try to flog you.

Oxford isn't impossible to get to - but it is a beastly place to drive around these days. As I discovered after some location misinformation last time *coughKathcough* which meant I actually did have to drive round and all the little places I used to park have been double yellowed. It is daytrippable for me (though it seems that they are always doing work on the line Oxonmoot weekend but it depends on a few things.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #72
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I had really planned to go to Oxonmoot this year too, but my family talked me out of it - because there are such a lot of Swine flu cases in England.
Now I feel sorry I didn't book all the same!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #73
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pigs can Fly.

I am going to Oxonmoot, even though I have Swine Flu, and so does all my street and the town I live in, we can't move for the Mountains of Tissue, and if you believe that, then a Pig Flew past my window just now.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #74
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I got my train tickets for Oxonmoot, they say I'll be in Oxford for about quarter past two (in the afternoon). Will any Downers be around for a meet up?

Incidentlly, I'll be leaving on Sunday at half past two, so if you want to mug me, do it before then.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #75
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I am amazed and delighted that Bethberry is traveling to the oxonmoot, should be lovely.
Delighted that you are attending as well. It's been some time since we chatted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Now I feel sorry I didn't book all the same!
It is still possible to register and attend the sessions, at the door. And although rooms and dinners can no longer be booked, it is possible to find a room (and food) at neighbouring Keble College, which is just down the street (so to speak) from Lady Margaret Hall: Oxford Rooms. It would be a delight to meet you, Guinevere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrforc
I am going to Oxonmoot, even though I have Swine Flu, and so does all my street and the town I live in, we can't move for the Mountains of Tissue, and if you believe that, then a Pig Flew past my window just now.
Frankly, I think it's obviously the potential for Mad Cow disease that is worrisome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
I got my train tickets for Oxonmoot, they say I'll be in Oxford for about quarter past two (in the afternoon). Will any Downers be around for a meet up?
I'll have to check with my chauffeur.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #76
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
What a pity... I was sad because the German Tolkien Society didn't seem to meet anywhere in the northwest for something special, and now that I'm studying in the south of Germany, where I thought they would rather plan something, I find out the Seminar for 2010 is in the east.
Surely, a curse of Morgoth.
When I'm back at my own home PC with the German Tolkien Society information, I'll PM you with some possibilities for meeting other Tolkien fans in northern Germany, TM. There are smials (Stammtische) in several cities, including Hannover and Hamburg - if our timing is right, we might even meet there some time, as I now live up north as well.

I'm delighted that Ms. Berry is coming to Oxonmoot! The list of our allies grows! Hookbill, I will be in Oxford a day early, so definitely would be there and willing to meet you and any other Downers earlier on Friday. Anyone for a drink at the Bird and Baby?

Rune, Squatter, narfforc, it will be a pleasure, as always! Mithalwen, I don't remember - will you be coming this year? poison ivy has mentioned that she will be attending.

Lal and Dave, it would be a great delight to see you and the Elflet - I do hope you find a way to come for a day or two. I will miss my erstwhile roommate Guinevere this year - unless she decides to come at the last minute...

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-08-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added one more name
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #77
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Warning: Cheesy joke ahead

Well, pigs can fly. After all the Swine Flu.

[/end of joke]

It's a shame that none of my family or RL friends are interested in Tolkien, otherwise I'd love to go to Oxonmoot.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #78
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Sadly it's now unlikely - my mum's just been given the go ahead by the anaesthetist for the op for a new knee and is on a three day standby over the next ten weeks to go straight in for it! Though it ought to be ---> because she'll be able to go up stairs again!

I didn't know Keble did rooms though - that's going in my favourites for future reference! Much cheaper than the Oxonmoot rates!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #79
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
It's a shame that none of my family or RL friends are interested in Tolkien, otherwise I'd love to go to Oxonmoot.
Well, you could always introduce them to Tolkien. Give it to them in sugar cube size quantities. Like a sugar coated pill. That's what I'm doing with my mum. Now she's contemplating reading LotR soon... but to have her on the Downs? Maybe not...

And, you could always go alone in a couple of years. Or you could meet a new friend that likes Tolkien, my best friend started being my friend because she was reading FotR and now she's a Downer.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #80
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post

Incidentlly, I'll be leaving on Sunday at half past two, so if you want to mug me, do it before then.
I think I'll be there for that, P.M your mobile number Hooky and we'll meet up. This of course will not stop me killing you in a most horrble way at 14.29hrs on the Sunday.