Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hope nobody caves under the pressure. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:31 AM   #42
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Pressure? What pressure?

*Watches the rear door open and a new foe step through...

Oh, that pressure. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The rescue party has crossed the Misty Mountains and is in dire straits. This game has been running for three weeks and some of you have posted only once. If you are having second thoughts or cannot find the time to participate, this is your chance to pull out gracefully. Those of you who have been posting, keep up the good work (and don't take offense at this PM).

Please post in response to the current situation. Elladan and Elrohir cannot save the entire party by themselves. Anyone who does not post (or PM me) by Thursday, 5:00pm est runs the risk of having their character killed out or injured so that they must return to Rivendell. If you wish to bow out, you may craft your own character's demise if you wish.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:45 AM   #43
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*applauds all the game members who have posted recently* Well done everyone, a really great action sequence that was both fun to write and fun to read. Keep up the good work! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 11:11 PM   #44
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Well, that was fun.

So, uh... What now?
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 03-28-2003, 12:33 AM   #45
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Role-play is not all about obstacles in your path. The time of calm and rest is an ideal point to develop character and weave a delicate plot.

So, let us see how each of you can make this a story worth the telling.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:53 PM   #46
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm going to work up another post for Celebrian, is that all right? It won't be posted today, but hopefully over the weekend.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:32 AM   #47
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

"...and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."
-LotR, Bk 3, ch.2, "The Riders of Rohan"

And

"Whenever they awoke they saw Legolas standing beside them, or walking to and fro."

And

"As before, Legolas was first afoot, if indeed he had ever slept."

Why are we stopped? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I know, I'm a smartass. But I'm all for character development.

EDIT;
I found out today that my grandfather passed away last night. I'm afraid I'll be away from the Barrow-Downs for a few days. Hopefully just for travel time (2 days) but maybe for a week if I can't get ahold of a computer there. Sorry for any inconvenience. Carry Angore along for a few days, but if I'm not back in whatever amount of time you think is reasonable, you can do whatever you like.

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: Garen LiLorian ]
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 03-30-2003, 01:45 AM   #48
Airerûthiel
Wight

Sting

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] *hugs Garen sympathetically* We understand, Garen. May you and your family find comfort and support in friends, faith and each other at this difficult time.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #49
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Garen, My sympathies as well. Rejoin us when you can.

I will be away this weekend. I have left an opening in the RPG for a bit of action and interaction. Please take advantage of it. Anyone may feel free to take the lead on developing this subplot.

Hiri, go right ahead. Its time we heard from Celebrian.

I will be back on Monday. Let's see what you all can do.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:17 PM   #50
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

All right, I'll try to get it posted soon, am having a lot of trouble trying to work RPG into my scedule. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I don't know how to say this, but my sympathies also, Garen. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: Hirilaelin ]
Old 04-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #51
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, Garen, I'm so sorry. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] You also have my sympathy.

I will post soon, be assured.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:56 AM   #52
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Many thanks all. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #53
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Troubling things all around!

War, SARS, I just heard of a car accident of a friend's friend who dozed off only to wake up into an 18-wheeler! I believe his air bag didn't work, while the passenger survived.

And now I read this. I'm sorry to hear this Garen. I hope he died peacefully and that you and your parents find strength in the love of family and friends.

I am about to read the story, work has been very trying of late...
Old 04-08-2003, 07:30 AM   #54
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Excellent post, Findorfin, though you might want to check over your spelling. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Thanks for taking the lead here. Others will have their turns later. So, everyone, what are you going to do about the Wargs?
Old 04-12-2003, 06:41 AM   #55
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My thanks to everyone who kept Vanimorén alive and active during my absence. I'll pick up tomorow after I've had some sleep. Planes are horrible things. Goodbye for the moment.

- Shadow
Old 04-16-2003, 01:08 PM   #56
Airerûthiel
Wight

Sting

I apologise if my post makes it sound like I killed Torfithien off - she's still alive, but collapsed with the efforts and weariness. Well done all, looking forward to reading more soon!
Old 04-27-2003, 08:01 PM   #57
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Geez, we've kinda gone onto autopilot here, what happened? This is such an interesting story! I'd really like to get some character interaction going here before Moria happens.

For my own part in this thing, sorry that I haven't been more involved. I'd like to thank our friendly game leaders for keeping us going, but really, fellow players, let's pick up the interaction!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 12:59 PM   #58
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Has anyone heard from Hirilaelin lately? Just wondering. Great posts. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 01:33 PM   #59
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Lug, please check your PMs.

Garen, please get with Lug about your scouting mission.

Keep posting people!

Sadbh and Hirilaelin, where are you?
Old 05-15-2003, 02:12 PM   #60
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Garen and Lug, have you spoken?

Could everyone who is still with us please check in and post here?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #61
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I PMed Hirilaelin a few days ago, and she said she'd post in the next two days. I don't know if she forgot or just lost interest. Do you want me to take her character until she returns?(If she ever plans on doing so...)
Old 05-15-2003, 03:17 PM   #62
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Go right ahead. She has not posted since early in this RPG. If she returns, we'll worry about consistency and her plans then.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #63
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

I PM'd Lug a few days ago, but haven't heard back. Still ready and willing to continue as soon as I know where to go.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:40 AM   #64
Dark Shadow
Wight

Sting

Um, I'm here. It's embarassing coming back after being away for so long without an explaination. I'm really sorry. I suppose I should get to work on my next post. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #65
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

No problem Shadow. We've all been remiss. Will you be sticking with us for a while? I have big plans for your character. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Everyone, go ahead and post while we wait for Garen and Lug to report on their scouting trip. No one's upset or concerned that Elladan hasn't the faintest idea how to enter Moria? Come on now!
Old 05-17-2003, 04:04 AM   #66
Dark Shadow
Wight

Sting

I think after about two more weeks I should be around pretty regularly. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Big plans sound good. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #67
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hello. I'm most sorry for my absence, and hope I haven't messed anything up beyond repair. I feel awful for doing this, but I must drop out. My scedule has become increasingly hectic, and I've had to drop several other RPGs on other sites as well, to my great disappointment. However, it was great gaming with you all, and I hope that I will be able to do so again!

Hiri

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Hirilaelin ]
Old 05-19-2003, 01:22 PM   #68
Airerûthiel
Wight

Sting

I'm sorry I haven't posted much recently...apologies for my absence. I will add to the RPG as soon as I can, I'm just working on a good post and trying to perfect it. I will put some work up as soon as possible, promise!

PS If I don't post this week then you may not hear from me until next Sunday at the earliest because I'm in Ireland during UK half-term and don't know if I'll have net access.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #69
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Sadbh, if you are around, can you take over Celebrian from Hirilaelin? Please respond or PM me.

Dark Shadow and Airerûthiel, we'll hold off entry into Moria until Monday, June 2. After that things should be fast and furious, hopefully.

Findorfin, are you still around? Dragoneyes?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #70
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nice post Garen! But I'd really prefer that Elrohir rejoins you when you're in a bit of a spot. Care to change the last line and end the post in a different manner?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:49 PM   #71
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Actually, I was trying to work that in somehow, but I couldn't get it to fit. I thought maybe the the attack could happen "now." Elrohir has the better view, Angore is overconfidant, and he sure does present a nice target, all prettily silhouetted like that. You even have my permission to damage Angore to some degree. But it you really want the trouble to have started earlier, I'll try to work something out.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:28 AM   #72
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Fellow Rohan gamers,

Our gaming comes with a cost; it is time to reflect on this fact and make some changes to how we run our games.

We RPGers are the most voracious consumers of Barrow Downs resources. We use a game thread, a discussion thread, PMs to plan games, and are constant visitors to the site, often returning more than two or three times a day to keep up with developments in the game in order to prepare our own posts.

Why is this a drain on BD resources? Please take some time to read carefully and reflect seriously upon the Barrow Wight's recent announcements concerning storage space and bandwidth, chat and discussion, and the costs of running the site, and then change your posting habits.

What are the most beneficial changes in our posting habits? For one, we need to stop using the discussion threads for idle banter, for personal comment. We must restrict our posts to discussion of the games only, that is, to issues of plotting, character interaction, clarification, and notification of absences. For most occasions, we don't need to make multiple posts about why we are absent or how we are doing and we don't need to make a string of 'see ya' posts in reply. For personal comments, we can use the chat room or PMs. A discussion thread that is far longer than a game thread is often a signal of a misuse of the discussion thread.

Please take the time to do several things: Delete posts or run of the mill comments in the discussion thread that have no bearing on the game. (The death of Garen's grandfather represents a very special case, and so I would not say your comments here are remiss.) Refrain from such posts and comments in future discussions of the games. Limit your daily visits to the thread.

If we all help out, we can ensure that our games remain treasures in the Barrow Downs.

Thanks for being responsible gamers and credible members of the Downs!

Bêthberry
Old 05-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #73
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Thank you Bethberry for that informative and important announcement.

Now, back to our regular programming. We are now waiting for Lug and Garen to complete their scouting mission. Elladan has revealed that he has no clear idea how the rescuers can enter Moria safely. Considering that there are a number of lives at stake, there has been remarkably little comment on this revelation. Sooo....
Old 05-27-2003, 12:48 AM   #74
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Well, well Madam, now you've certainly put me on a spot.

A hobbit at heart (a Took?), I always seem to find time for little jests, and curtailing that will prove quite a trial. In due consideration, however, I've deleted my previous post, which did not say anything whatsoever.

On the other hand, I am formulating my post.

I will lay down my problem as I see it here. I have been equally to blame for the sporadic posting here, but I seem to go with the ebb and flow of the games I play in. For me to keep a level of interest and generate time and thought to the story will need for me to read progress. For a few days if I see nothing, I seem to lapse and lose my pen. And then when I come back there have been a bounty of posts.

If we are to follow the threadmaster's initial directive, it would be nice to see more regular posting. Need not be elaborate, but things which push and pull the others together.

That much said, I must say that I myself like to take things slowly, given the dearth of time and such. But given that this is a game, we must move ahead with the pace that was set to us.

Does that sound reasonable? Let's make sure that Mithadan is not able to keep up with us.

Then we'll blame him for falling behind... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 11:45 AM   #75
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Let us use the eagles to inform Elladan and the others of our discovery. Garen, I'll leave it to you to tidy things up and secure the entrance.

The horses also have to return, and could also be used to send a message while we guard the cave. The others must also plan to leave their horses behind. They are a giveaway standing outside the entrance to the tunnels of Moria.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:41 PM   #76
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

That sounds like a plan. I assume that the bodies of the Orcs will also be hidden?
Old 05-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #77
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Great post Garen! You have taken up the element and created a role-play!

Something for others to watch for is that he created a wonderful reaction through his character, but kind of played mine too to further the plot. Since we have been doing this it some extent and he did a great job of it, there is no problem, but these situations are when you should allow others to role-play, so that we can build our character and also make decisions that will affect the plot considerably.

Ahead into Moria! And Garen, please do something of those headless bodies as Mithadan suggested.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #78
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Dark Shadow, glad to see you back with us. It would serve well to read the entire story up until the last post, I know it can sometimes be trying, but take your time and give it a reading. You've joined us rather awkwardly. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2003, 06:08 AM   #79
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Glad to see you all posting. I am buried under through tomorrow and will not be able to post. Please do not wait for me.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 PM   #80
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

If I get too bored, I'm going to be hewing a few arms and legs. I'll make sure it's painless.