And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hill they long have known.

-- J.R.R.T.

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-25-2002, 02:22 AM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bandobras Took, popularly known as Bullroarer, peered nervously out the window of his study. It was early fall in the Shire, but snow blanketed the ground. It had been there all summer. There'd been no harvest that year, and food was running perilously short. Somehow, someway, the hobbits must find provisions before winter began.

Bullroarer could see hobbits approaching his front door in groups of twos and threes, buried under heavy cloaks and fur earmuffs. They'd come from every corner of the Shire. Their trips had not been easy, since many roadways has a thick coat of ice and snow that made travel very slow.

Once they arrived, each traveler was led into the Great Hall near the blazing hearth for a bit of food and drink. Soon, the meeting would begin. Then they'd decide whether to adopt Gandalf's strategy to send a band of hobbits to Rivendell to pick up food and supplies. Bullroarer personally hoped they'd adopt the plan. Anything was better than sitting here and doing nothing while hobbits went hungry!

About forty hobbits gathered at the Took family mansion. They huddled near the fire for warmth, as the Wizard stepped forward to explain his idea. Gandalf was well armed with charts and maps, and focused intently at the serious, hungry faces staring up towards him. Some looked hopeful, while others seemed sunk in doubt and fear.

Gandalf patiently explained that the Elves were the only ones who'd had foresight to squirrel away provisions for hard times. Elrond had agreed to Gandalf's request that they share some of these, but he'd insisted the hobbits come to Rivendell on their own to get them. There was no other way. Yet, with the disastrous state of the roads and hungry critters out roaming the countryside, this seemed like an overwhelming task to many of those present.

Once the Wizard finished, hobbit after hobbit stood up to speak, all disagreeing with the proposal. One of the fiercest and loudest of these, Collin Boffin, faced the gathering with one hand on his hip and the other waving wildly in the air. "What madness is this! None of you will get through in this weather. You'll meet your death falling off some snowy cliff. And who's to say the Elves will help you?"

"Begging your pardon, sir," Collin turned toward the Wizard, and respectfully bowed, "But you are not a hobbit. What assurances do we have that these strangers will come through, when they are not even our kin?"

Collin turned once again to his hobbit neighbors and friends, wagging his finger in the air. "Stick to your own kind, I say. You'll be better off. This weather is bound to break, if you'll be patient a bit longer."

Gandalf shook his head and sighed, "One day, I fear, there will come a time when Middle-earth will not survive unless the free peoples band together and learn to appreciate one another's ways. That time has not yet come, but it does no harm to begin learning these lessons."

"But, beyond that, I worry that any change in the weather will come too late to help your kin. So far, despite hunger and suffering, you've managed to survive. But how long can that last? I've already seen death strike in Gondor and Rohan. If we do nothing, it's only a matter of time until that happens here too." Gandalf's dire words trailed off, as the Wizard gazed out at the assembled hobbits hoping for another voice to speak up in his support.

At that instant, Bullroarer heaved himself up, and pounded on the floor with a thick cudgel for everyone's attention. All forty hobbits, even Collin Boffin, fell silent as the hero of Greenfields stepped forward with a flourish and began to speak.

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-25-2002, 02:25 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Collin Boffin,’ said Bandobras quietly, ‘we cannot feed our families with patience. Nor can we fill our children’s empty stomachs with promises of a change in the weather.’ He looked round the room at the ragtag gathering of hungry Hobbits. ‘I stand on the side of good Hobbit common sense. The Elves have food to spare. Master Elrond has given his word that he will share what bounty he has with us. We have but to go to Rivendell to retrieve it. It is quite straight forward to my way of thinking.’

He looked directly at Collin. ‘If this is madness, then call me completely mad. For I intend to go to Rivendell.’

There was a collective gasp at this announcement, and then a swelling murmur of voices, as Hobbits turned to each other, wondering what hope the Bullroarer saw where most saw none.

‘It will be a long journey, and there will no doubt be perils along the uncertain way. But to stay here brings the certainty of death ever closer for ourselves and our families. We have the chance to succeed if we but try. Staying put here gives us no chance at all. We will grow weaker, until we are nothing but food for the hungry Wargs.’

He looked at the map Gandalf had pinned to the wall, and traced the journey with his thick finger, tapping it lightly on Rivendell. He stood with his back to the assembly, and spoke low, as if to himself. The Hobbits moved in close about him, straining to catch his words.

‘We will need each to bring a pack animal, two if possible. Gather what foodstuffs can be spared. We will hunt and fish along the way as we can. Bring warm clothing, bedding, and means to make shelters from the cold. Cooking supplies, candles, firestarters. Arms, too – stout cudgels, slings, bows, long knives, sharpened staves, a pitch fork, even, will do nicely.’ He ticked off the items from his mental list as he went along.

Bullroarer turned back to face them, waving them back from him a fair pace. ‘Only the best and the bravest will I take with me. You know who you are. Come! Stand before me now. Who will dare the Great East Road to Imladris with me?’

He leaned on his cudgel, his eyes glinting with the challenge, and waited.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

Autumn looking up scared at Bullroarer. He looked so big and tall there, especially for a Hobbit, and very imposing. ‘He’s a hero,’ she thought to herself, ‘What right do I have to join him on this quest that is so perilous anyway.’ Autumn gazed at the map, and then suddenly something in her clicked, and she stood up staraighter than she ever had before. She would make this journey and represent the Gamwiches of Bywater. “Bullroarer will probally just laugh at me,’ thought the hobbit, ‘I haven’t even come of age yet. But there is no one else in my family who can make this journey, so I have to. We have to get that food!’ she thought wildly.

Summoning up all of her courage, Autumn walked forward from the crowd. Standing a foot from the Bullroarer, she began a spirited speech, that made all the hobbits stare surprised at the young hobbit lass, “I will go on this journey with you, Master Took. I am strong enough to, being raised on a farm and all. I can use a knife better than anyone one in my village, and I can shoot a bow pretty well, too. I am considered to be a good hunter, and healer, and I think, I know that I can be an asset to you on this journey. I don’t care how perilous this trip will be. We have to get this food, or our families will starve. So, I will come with you, Master Bullroarer. My name is Autumn Gamwich, and I will come on this journey to represent the Gamwiches of Bywater.”

Bullroarer smiled down at the young hobbit, “You certainly have a fiesty temper, young lass. You will fit in excellently with our group. Now go and pack up your supplies, Autumn. We will all meet here tomorrow. “ Bullroarer turned to the rest of the group and greeted each new recruit as they stepped forward. Autumn quickly rushed away, her heart beating rapidly with excitement.

Carefully, but quite quickly, Autumn raced down the street, covered with snow and ice, to the inn down the road that she was staying at. She already had most of the supplies that she needed. She always carried her sword and bow with her, and she had brought her pony, Tom, with her when she had journeyed to the Took’s very large house. All that she would need was some extra food, and maybe another coat, since it seemed that it was getting colder all the time, and probally not likely to stop for a while.

Autumn when into the old inn and warmed her hands by the blazing fire in the hall. Then she went off to find the innkeeper, upon finding him, she asked him to pack any extra food that he could spare for her journey, and told him a little about it. He gazed at her unsure, wondering why the Bullroarer would want such a young lass on this dangerous mission. Finally, he consented to give her as much food as he could spare, plus he would find her a warm coat, and Autumn quickly paid him the due amount. After this, Autumn went to check up on Tom; a few carrots stowed safely in the pocket of her old coat.

When she arrived at the stable, she found her old friend, and quietly petted him as he ate her gifts. Whispering softly in his ear, the young hobbit explained the journey that they would be going on very soon, as Tom moved his head up and down as if he could really understand all that she was saying. Hearing her stomach rumble very loudly, Autumn resignedly left Tom to find some food. As she entered the main hall of the inn, she found a big crowd of hobbits, standing and seating, eating and drinking, in there. Many pairs of curious eyes greeted her as she walked into the room, but the hobbit did not feel like talking right then, so she ordered a light meal and sat down at a lone table in a corner of the room to enjoy her meal.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 11-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #5
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Robin was stroking her pony Gil-Galad's nose and talking to Dinodas.

"It was good of you to say we were going when Bullroarer 'challenged' us," she said. "I wanted to say something, but I was so nervous I could hardly speak."

Dinodas smiled at her. "Of course I spoke up, Robin," he said. "But you had better start packing."

"I will pack, I just need to talk to Bullroarer for a minute," Robin said. "It concerns Gil-Galad."

"Go on, then," Dinodas said, and Robin hurried off, leaving Dinodas with Gil-Galad's rope.

"Probably wanting to know if she can take Gil along," the hobbit lad said, half to himself and half to the pony. "Well, my fine friend, if you can come, do you want to?"

Gil huffed a warm breath into Dinodas's hand and nickered.

"Let's get you breakfast, at any rate," said Dinodas. "Then we'll wait till Robin comes back."

"Er... Bullroarer, sir?"

"Hrmph... yes?" Bullroarer said, noticing the hobbit lass. "Have you packed yet?"

"No, not yet, sir," replied Robin.

"Well, maybe you should."

"I'm going to, but first I have a question to ask you."

"Ask away," Bullroarer said. He hoped he hadn't sounded too gruff, but he still had his doubts about all these females.

"Is it all right if I bring Gil-Galad, my pony, along?"

"Of course, Robin," Bullroarer replied, trying to sound more gentle. "We will need pack ponies on our journey."

A smile broke out on Robin's face. "Thank you so very much!" she cried, and ran to find Dinodas.

Yet when she arrived at her hole, where she and Dinodas would pack together, she found that Dinodas was nowhere in sight. But there was a note on the table.

'Robin,
I've gone to meet Autumn Gamwich, who will be travelling with us. Gil-Galad has already had breakfast. You can pack without me.
Dinodas'

Dinodas was in his hometown, Bywater, looking for Autumn. He had heard that she also lived in Bywater, and he seemed to remember seeing her about very often. She was a beautiful young hobbit lass.

"About my age," Dinodas said to himself.

He was approaching another inn that was in Bywater besides the Green Dragon. He had visited it on several occasions, and something told him Autumn might be there.

Pushing open the door, many eyes turned to look at him. Some of the hobbits recognized him, some did not.

But there was Autumn, sitting at a table all alone, eating a meal.

"Autumn Gamwich!" he cried, and strode over to the table. She looked up at him, trying to recognize him, and failing.

"Do I know you?" she asked.

Dinodas smiled pleasantly and took a seat next to her. "No, though you may have seen me about town a few times. I live here in Bywater, also."

"Not meaning to sound rude, sir, but want do you want with me?" Autumn asked politely.

"Just to meet you," said Dinodas. "My name is Dinodas Green and I will be one of the travellers on this journey to Rivendell." He extended his hand.

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 11-25-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hal had stood forward at the meeting, enheartened by Autumn's speech, so had Gaddy aswell.

The next day in the stable, while they were packing up Hal's horse, Fallor, they talked,
"Yer didn't have to come just because of me y'know Gaddy."
"Whatever gave you the idea I came along because of you?" replied Gaddy Jokingly
"Because I know yer Gaddy, yer wouldn't have stepped forward if I hadn't've"
"Yeah, well, life would be so dull around here without you, I had to come along."

They continued packing in silence until the last few things were being packed and both Gaddy and Hal were having trouble reaching the top of the horse,
"Please tell me, Why did you bring such a large horse?"
"Oh, you know me dad, he can't help but show off, had to send his best horse off with me, not my fault it happened to be a cart-horse, probably the only one which could make the journey anyway."
"Maybe, but did he really have to be so big?" said Gaddy in desparation, completely unable to reach the right part of the horse.
"Do you want a leg-up there?"
"Yes please, that would be great."
"Come round here then."
Gaddy went round to Hal at the side of Fallor, he stood on Hals clenched hands and Hal vaulted him up onto the top of the horse, Gaddy scrambled up and held on tight. He soon relaxed though, realising there was really nothing that would happen up there, Fallor, though the biggest horse he knew, he was also the gentlest horse he knew and he sat up there admiring the horse's smooth chesnut coat and strong muscles.

"Are you goin' to sit uo there all day or actually pack something?"
"Oh, right, throw something up then."
Hal threw up the last three things and found a bow, right at the bottom of the pile.
"What did yer bring this for, yer can't even use it."
"You never know, a spare bow might come in handy."
"Alright then." he said as he threw it up to Gaddy. Gaddy secured it fast and they both checked that everything was attached properly.

They decided everything was fine and they set off out of the stable, back to the Took family mansion, Hal leading Fallor and Gaddy looking quite comical among all the baggage on top of the horse. He was wrapped up tight in a cloak which his mother had made sure that he wore, so he looked like another blanket, like the ones rolled up around him, but with a small pink face sticking out at the top.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 11-25-2002, 05:47 PM   #7
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Bullroarer turned back to face them, waving them back from him a fair pace. ‘Only the best and the bravest will I take with me. You know who you are. Come! Stand before me now. Who will dare the Great East Road to Imladris with me?’
* Across the room, Giles Harfoot took a deep breath. He set down his box of handyman tools on the floor. More reluctantly, he set down his beloved black hawthorn "whacking stick" alongside the repair kit, with only one glance back to make sure it wouldn't crawl away like an unattended pet. *

* The diminutive Hobbit strode more tall-seeming than his 3 ft., 3 inches height to the middle aisle. He thrust out his lower lip. He paced off a few running steps. He sprang three breathless dizzying cartwheels, turned in midair to leap into a diving somersault, then finally came up with a curt hop into a flourishing bow before the regal and revered Bullroarer Took. *

I, Sir. I dare, ... Giles Harfoot, at your service. As for the best, I'm the best cabinet-maker in Starfield, so they say. Anything wooden you need made or mended along the way, consider the job done. As for the bravest, well, I drew the short straw of duty, but unflinching. I shall strive to represent the Harfoots upholding the family honor as best I may. My bags are packed. My pony Puddlejump stands ready.

* Giving a second bow, Giles politely stood aside with the other volunteers who'd come forth, awaiting the challenging road ahead. *

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-25-2002, 07:35 PM   #8
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Sting

With a sigh, Robin set to work on packing. Dinodas had to run off, didn't he? Had to meet Autumn Gamwich.

"Well, he'd better not be gone too long, or I'll be stuck packing his things, too," Robin muttered.

Going to her wardrobe, she yanked it open a little ferociously. She pulled out her knapsack and opened it. Fishing some clothes out of the wardrobe, she stuffed them carelessly in, and then walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. From there she went into the larder, where she snatched up what food she could find (which was not much).

"Clothes, food... water? Or does Bullroarer want us to drink from streams and such?... We'll see... er... feed for the ponies... but that's not until later. What else should we bring? Oh yes, blankets and pillows!"

Robin rushed back into the bedroom and packed both the blankets and the pillows, and then sat down on the bed with a sigh. "What else?" she muttered to herself, then groaned. "Packing is awfully boring. I wish we could get to the adventure." She suddenly blushed. "I know what my Mum would say if she heard that. 'It's not worth it if you don't work for it, Robin,' she'd say. But I'm going to take a rest and visit Gil-Galad.

Not that Robin needed a rest; she'd only been packing for a few minutes.

She left her hole and stepped out. Walking on the crisp and cold snow, she made her way towards the little stable next to her hole. It could not exactly be called a stable... it had only one stall. In fact, the stall itself was the entire building, except for a very small room where the feed and saddlebags were stored.

Shivering, Robin pushed open the 'stable' door and found herself face to face with Gil-Galad, who gave a loud whinny. "Hello, Gil," Robin said, her teeth chattering. "Had your breakfast already?" She looked at her pony's water pail. "I see you have no water left," she said. "I'll send Dinodas after some later. After all," she added under her breath, "it'll serve him right for making me pack alone."
Old 11-25-2002, 07:37 PM   #9
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

The journey from his home in Crickhollow was an odious one for Carl Hoarwell, it was always hard in the winter to leave a warm house but in early fall it was intolerable especially when every room in his home had nice large fireplaces to warm the hands and kettles.

Stamping his feet to help Circulation Carl paused and looking down he saw his reflection in the ice. Looking back at him was stranger. The face looking back at him was smooth with no facial hair and fair skin his cheeks were now looking gaunter than he remembered. A touch of fatigue was around his blue eyes. His long golden hair, once his pride and joy was looking dull and unkempt from spending weeks trying to find food in the woods. Carl could only shake his head if he was like this what of the other Hobbits in the shire?

After a summer of snow little food remained for Carl and he dreaded how the other Hobbits were faring. He had it good; at least he could hunt in the wilds for a meal while other less skilled Hobbits starved in their cold homes. For this reason Carl travelled to Bullroarers home for a meeting to discuss the problems of the long freeze. Trudging along the roadway Carl was glad to finally see Bullroarers door, as he entered he was led into the Great Hall.

The meeting was just starting and Carl looked around the hall scrutinising his companions, they all had the look of exhaustion from worry but also one of hope, hope that Gandalf would have all the answers. The Hobbit listened as Gandalf explained his desperate plan to Travel to Rivendell to collect the promised supplies that the Elves had saved.

Carl listened through Gandalf’s plan and thought it a good one, when to his bemusement each Hobbit found fault with the plan and could only just with a mighty effort hold his tongue when Bullroarer stood up admonishing the crowd.
"Only the best and the bravest will I take with me. You know who you are. Come! Stand before me now. Who will dare the Great East Road to Imladris with me?"

Smiling with pride at Bullroarers speech Carl stood up as a wave of pride in his fellow hobbit moved him to volunteer. Now was the time for action, dammed if he would be left behind when his people needed him. Carl stood and faced Bullroarer his tall 4-foot stature standing him above most of the other hobbits in the room.

“I will dare the Great East Road with you and with me will go my Bow and dagger useful for both hunting and fighting if needed”

Bowing, to Bullroarer Carl stood aside to prepare for the road ahead.

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 11-26-2002, 01:13 AM   #10
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Most of those who were going on the trip to Rivendell had raced up to Bandobras during the meeting to plead their case. Branda's strategy had been a little different. He'd waited until the gathering had adjourned, with hobbits walking off in all different directions. Then he'd quietly come up behind Bullroarer, cleared his throat, and asked to talk.

"I'd like to come along," he said, tugging on the hobbit's cloak to get his attention. "You have no one who can get fish out of an icy pond or stream. That's one of the safest and surest ways that we can find something to eat without exhausting ourselves chasing after game. Plus, I have a stock of herbs and healing potions passed down from my mother that are second to none in the Shire. And I know at least a bit about using them."

Bullroarer shook his head, "I didn't say you wouldn't be useful, but you are a married man with one child here and another on the way. Most of those going are footloose wanderers, or at least have no spouse or youngsters at home."

Branda stood mulishly in front of Bullroarer, "The last time I looked you were married and had many sons and daughters. That hasn't stopped you from going places!"

"Alright, suit yourself, Branda, but I want no complaints from wives that their husbands have run off."

"You don't have to worry about that with us. Bell is with her sister, and I've laid in a fine store of fish for both of them, smoked and frozen. They'll not go hungry. My wife also understands why I have to do this."

"And just why is that?" Bullroarer demanded.

"Because it's the decent thing to do. There are children with growling stomachs. Because I want to see an Elf one time in my life and maybe, just maybe, I'll show my neighbors what an "outsider" can do to help the Shire."

"Can you be back by tomorrow?"

"Aye," he responded. "My family stays with Bell's sister in Westfarthing. My two ponies are ready to go and my belongings wait there. Let me say farewell to my wife, and I'll return by mid-morning."

Bullroarer sighed and shook his head yes. The lad was right. Gathering food on the road could be a problem. And who knew what injuries or illnesses might come their way? Folks told tales that Branda was so talented he could charm fish out of a pond, and that he knew strange bits of healing and herbal lore no one else in the Shire did.

Nor was Bullroarer surprised when the Stoor mentioned the suspicions of his neighbors. The lad's great-grandparents had come from the area near Gladden Fields. There were some very funny tales and hints about those hobbits. According to rumors, no good could come from Gladden since, long ago, there'd been some terrible mischief there, which had best be forgotten.

Still, this young man did not look untrustworthy in any way. Bullroarer wondered about those strange tales and vowed to ask Branda if he knew about them, perhaps some night around the campfire when they were on the trail.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #11
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lotho watched with narrowed eyes as many young hobbits almost ran to the Bullroarer to proclaim that they wanted to go on this journey. Suddenly, he strode up from the wall he had been leaning on casually and looked at the Bullroarer evenly.

"So you've got your expert huntsmen and fighters," he said. "But what good will the journey if you don't get what you want? You need a negotiator. I can help you."

He looked at the Bullroarer, who smiled.

"You're right. Very well. You may come."

Lotho nodded and swiftly left the room. He didn't need to pack much, but there were some things he needed to see to.

Lotho sat in front of the fire in his small hobbit hole. All in all, it had been a good day. He'd managed to sell the perishable goods that he had attained, had sharpened his knife, packed his few belongings and had obtained a winter cloak for an excellent price. The old clock on the wall told him that it was seven o' clock. He would have a meal at the Green Dragon. He looked around his warm little home one last time, took the key off the wall and stepped outside. He locked the door securely, sighing as he regarded the faded green door fondly. Tucking his cloak around him, he hurried off down the lanes, head bent against the cold.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:04 PM   #12
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It hadn't taken long for Branda to return to his wife and begin to load supplies onto the two ponies. He'd thought carefully over what things he might need, On one pony he strapped bags that included a sturdy rope; lines and lures and hooks, along with a good sharp pick that could break through the ice or be used in self defence; his kit of herbal remedies; a warm blanket for himself and each of the ponies; and a number of splints and cloths in case anyone should get hurt; a tinder box; snow shoes he'd made that would take him over the top of crusted snow, a small pail, a pan and mug, a tiny torch, and a change of clothing. The other pony was to be heavily ladden with smoked and frozen fish to help their band get through the first day or two on the trail.

He'd wear a fur cloak with a hood and, being a Stoor, thick dwarf boots with a dagger hidden underneath. Another dagger would go about his waist, and two harpoons in a case thrown over his back, carried in much the same way as quiver and bow. That would have to do. He thought one more time, then went to the cellar and tucked in the last of the shrivelled apples he'd found to give the ponies Sandy and Stoney a well deserved treat.

That had been easy. Now came the hard part. He could hear Bell and her sister calling him to dinner, probably fish stew with a few roots mixed in. It was always the same, but at least it was food. Peony was waiting for her daddy to come and play. He'd have to say goodbye tonight, then leave early the next morning before the sun had even risen to make it back to Tukborough by mid-morning. He wasn't about to take any chances that they might leave him behind.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:55 PM   #13
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

Autumn quickly went outside early the next day; she was determined to be the first one there. Her bag of food bumping along on her back, she hastily checked over her mental list of thins to bring on the trip.

Three pairs of clothes, a pair of thick snow boots, two coats, two fur blankets, a few precoius gold coins, which she had earned by cleaning old Master Breeche's home in Bywater, stowed safely away in her pack, her bow and a quiver of arrows on her back, her three short knives (one on her leg, another one her side, and one more on her arm), plus her precious longer knife given to her father by the elves. It was said that no harm would ever come to whoever owned or weilded the sword. She also had a pretty good supply of food and water, a bit of rope, and some herbs and cloth raps for healing, though she had heard that another hobbit was to be the healer for the journey, but extra healing untensils never hurt anyone. Autumn hadn't packed a map or compass,though. She figured that the Bullroarer would take care of that, not that she was any good with a map anyways; she never could read one of those blasted things, they were so confusing.

Autumn reached the stable of the inn and began to load her bags onto her pony. She did this very neatly, organizing everything and putting everything in its proper place. Then the young hobbit lass quietly climbed up onto her pony, Tom, and headed off to the Took's mansion, where the Bullroarer was waiting for his other traveling companions to arrive.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 11-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #14
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hal and Gaddy continued down the road, they'd been walking for a while now, neither of them could bother to keep the time, but the sky was still light, though it was grey and threatening to hail or snow or send some such other form of weather down on them.
"Dear me, the sky ain't too happy is it?" said Hal,
"If by that you mean it's grey, then yes."

"Shouldn't be too much farther by my rekoning we've, well, I've been walking for a while now."
"Hey, now don't blame me that you aren't tall enough to get up here."
"I'm not, I'm blamin' yer for me not being tall enough. I'm blamin' yer for not being strong enough to pull me up."
"Me? Pull you up? You're a huge great lump, I'd have no chance."
"It's not my fault, I'm built this way, just because you're one of the smaller hobbits in the Shire,"
"I'm small and proud of it." said Gaddy, and so he was, he barely reached Hal's shoulder, it was the stoor blood in him. When he'd walked up to Bullroarer, he'd been made to feel smaller than ever, he didn't mind though, he was used to it. The only thing which really annoyed Gaddy about his height was when it came up in conversations with distant relations, everyone else was told how they'd grown, whereas he was always told how he was as small as ever.

"We're nearly there anyway, so don't get too guilty for making me walk."
"Oh, how near are we?"
"Just round the next corner." They rounded the bend in the road, and there was the magnificent Took household, it looked different when not packed with hobbits as it had been the day before. The road was empty, it seemed as though they were the first there. Hal led Fallor up to the front door, banged the knocker and waited for an answer.

Old 11-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #15
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Sting

"Very well, I will pack for him," Robin said, throwing open Dinodas's knapsack. "He's not coming back. Still probably talking to Autumn Gamwich." Robin sighed. "I suppose it would be nice to meet some of the fellow adventurers before we set out for Rivendell, but since Dinodas plans to do just that, there's no one left but meself to pack, and I've got to do that."

A few minutes later Robin was trudging through the snow, her knapsack on her back, Gil-Galad's rope in her hand, Gil-Galad himself behind her, laden with bags. She was heading for the Took family mansion once more. It must be time to go now, and she was ready.

As Dinodas knocked on the door to the Took family mansion, he hoped Robin wouldn't be too angry with him for not being there in time to pack. Glancing behind him, he could make out a figure walking through the snow, a pony behind him or her.

Worried that it was Robin he knocked again, louder. The door slowly opened.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #16
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

As Bullroarer was about to leave the almost empty room, a young, curly-headed hobbit lass came from behind the door that led into the snow.

"Excuse me, Mr. Took?" She looked up to Bullroarer, who was about three inches taller than her. He just grunted.

"Yes..Well, I am Daffodyl Bulger from Stock. I heard all about this adventure, and I though you might need me. I am very skilled in cooking, and I can fish too. I own a pony, Mooncloud, and she's really fast. I am almost of adult age. I love the outdoors, because I was brought up with four older brothers. We would camp almost all the time. Well.... May I join??" She looked at him softly, and he smiled and nodded his head.

"Thank You! I will ride home, and be back by mid-morning." She ran out, and almost slipped on the ice, but continued on.

"Guess What Mooncloud!" She whispered as she rubbed his neck when they reached her hobbit-hole. "I'm goin' to Rivendell!" She kissed his muzzle, and ran into her house.

"Food? Check. Blankets? Check. Clothes?Check. Another Coat? Check. More blankets. Yep. Um..." She searched around, and said again:
"Tarp!" She grabbed a big tarp, which had been torn and sewn many a time.
"I think I'm ready." She sighed deeply and walked out, closing the door behind her.

"Come on Mooncloud. We're goin back to the Took Mansion." She hopped on her pony, and slowly rode off, looking at her quiet home she was leaving behind.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 11-26-2002, 07:11 PM   #17
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celandine's eyes grew wide as she heard Gandalf and Bullroarer outline thier strategy. Rivendell! the home of the Elves! Not to mention the chance to show her parents thats she was good for something at least.

He leaned on his cudgel, his eyes glinting with the challenge, and waited

Celandine sighed. 'best and bravest' that certainly wasn't her. But Elves! it was her only chance to ever meet one of that fabled race. Celandine knew she had to try.

She listened intenly as Autumn Gamwitch made a spirited speech in front of all the hobbits. Bullroarer said something inaudible to the hobbit lass, but Celandine could tell by the skip in her step as she waded through the crowd to the door, that she had indeed been accepted to the mission.

Celandine's shoulders slumped. She was no good at speech making. As the meeting disperesd, and the the hobbits went back to their lodgings, Celandine waved to her father to tell him she'd be along shortly. Several others seemed to have her idea, and Celandine hug around at the back until they had left.Setting her jaw, she walked up to the hero of the Greenfields, her stomach rocking with every step.

"Mr. Bandobras?"

"What? Who are you?" He glared down at her, and Celandine suddenly felt a lot smaller that her three-feet-something.

"My name is Celandine Brandybuck.I want to come along."

He raised an eyebrow at her, ever so slightly incredulous.
"Why doe everyone seem to think that I have suddenly become a nanny for children? I highly doubt you have very many skills that will be useful to us."

Celandine drew herself up, indignant. "I can cook, I can hunt, and I'm not afraid of skinning animals..." She realized nervousness was causing her to speak faster than she intended to.

"And what about Wargs?"

"I'm a reasonable shot with a bow, and I can usually keep ponies from frighting."

Bullroarer still had his eyebrow raised.
"And why would a little hobbit-lass, not yet come of age, decide to come on a perilous journey through forest, hill, snow and rain, just to get food for the Shire"

Celandine grew a little bolder, and her voice steadied. "I think you've answered you own question, sir."

Bullroarer's eyebrow went higher, if that was possible.
"I am not a child-sitter. This is a cold, long, dangerous journey. Absolutly not."
Celandine glared, and set her mouth in a stubbourn line.

"Why do you reject an extra pair of hands and two ponies?"

"My dear, it is simply too dangerous."

Celandine stamped her foot angrily. "I don't care! I'm capable with a bow!"

Bullroarer sighed. He was never going to get rid of the lass. "Alright. you can come." Her face lit up in delight. "But-" Celandine's brows dropped straight into a displeased V "you must ask you father's permission." Bandobras nodded to himself. the girl's father would never let her come. That was that problem out of the way.

Celandine nodded, smiling " Thank you, Sir"

"We meet here first thing tomorrow.If your father gives his permission."

The girl nodded, struggling into her cloaks. thanking him one more time, she heaved the door open, and very nearly skipped down the street.

Celandine, naturally, had no intetion of asking either her father or her mother. She grinned hppily as she rushed back to her uncle's hobbit hole. She was going to see the elves!

[ November 28, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]
Old 11-26-2002, 07:50 PM   #18
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bullroarer had just finished talking to Branda, another hobbit that Daisy had yet to meet, when Daisy approached him. “My pony and I would make a good addition to this group Master Took” said Daisy. “We Tooks need to stick together and show that we can really help the people of the Shire when called upon” she continued. “I can use my slingshot for protection or to hunt with, and that should be a big help for the group on the way to Rivendell. So, may I join?” Asked Daisy.

Bullroarer looked at her cautiously and mentally rolled his eyes and thought to himself, "Oh no another young female hobbit." But she was a Took and he didn’t want to offend the rest of the Tooks by not accepting her on this dangerous trip to Rivendell. He told Daisy that she could go and she needed to hurry and get packed and get back to the mansion before morning.

Daisy got her pony and ran home as fast as she could. She packed three sets of clothes, an extra winter jacket in case the one she wore got wet. She packed her slingshot and a medicine bag just in case anyone got hurt during the trip. She then went into the kitchen and packed all the food she could find. She also packed feed for her pony Lily just in case there were times when they couldn’t find a place for them to graze.

Finally, she was packed and on her way back to the mansion. She had butterflies in her stomach from all the excitement she felt. Running along the road she couldn’t help feeling happy about going to Rivendell and meeting the elves. She also knew that this was going to be very dangerous, but felt that she could handle the danger.

She hoped that she would get to spend time walking with Gaddy. "I want to get to know him better, because he seems to be very nice." Thinking about him made her smile. "I just hope that I can look at him and talk to him without blushing, as it is quite embarrassing," she thought to herself. She hoped to see him tonight and to meet his friend Hal, and get to know him so that maybe he would tell her a little bit about Gaddy.

Finally, she arrived at the mansion to see that a lot of the other hobbits had already arrived. She took Lily to barn and settled her down for the night. I better go and get something to eat at the Green Dragon before I settle in for the night, she thought. So, off to the Green Dragon she went.

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Calenedheliel ]
Old 11-26-2002, 10:43 PM   #19
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Even the vegetable soup featured by the Green Dragon served as another reminder of the urgency of Bullroarer's quest to Rivendell for food. Grassy herbs and leeks graced the thin broth where only a month before taters, parsnips, celery and even mushrooms had bobbed aplenty. Every now and then you still might come across a spoonful of turnip or carrot. Still, the cook did his best with what he'd got, using every last shred of turnip leaf and parsley sprig towards satisfying the Shire's ever-growing hunger. Giles Harfoot finished his crust of bread, pocketed several carrot tops and half an apple for his pony Puddlejump, stood with a sigh, and made for the stable. *

* Puddlejump nickered softly at his master's absent-minded affectionate pats on his mane. The pony patiently ate the food offerings placed in the manger while the Hobbit double-checked supplies. Flickering lantern-light traced branchlike ripplings of golden glow and gentle shadow against the wall, as if to shelter their thoughts against the night-snow gathering just outside into ever-deepening drifts of doom. *

* Giles' carpentry kit contained three chisels, a plane, a planing knife, two hammers, a pouchful of iron nails, several gimlets and files, four clamps, and a hand drill. *

* Giles himself brought with him or carried a dark brown wool cloak and hood, a spare set of clothes, a tinderbox with flint and char cloth for making fire, a tin cup, knife and spoon, two small buckets, the sort of small axe customary to carpenters, a money pouch with what silver and copper pieces the Harfoot clan saw fit to contribute as a going-away present, and his whacking stick. Some of his possessions Giles would carry in a pouch hanging from his broad leather belt. Others, Giles would load onto Puddlejump. *

* Puddlejump came equipped with several nosebags of oats, a blanket, and canvas bags secured with ropes. *

* Always though, it came back to food. Giles would see how much food he could buy to take with him from the Green Dragon ... and meanwhile try not to feel guilty that whatever food he took, someone else in the Shire would have to do without. *
Old 11-27-2002, 02:12 PM   #20
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Emerald dug through forgotten mathoms, trying to find that one jar of carrots she knew she had hidden in the cellar.

"It is the last one, after all," she muttered to herself. Turning over pile after pile, she finally gave up. "Pa!" she called upstairs. "There isn't a scrap in this whole house!"

"Excellent, girl!" he shouted back. "Give us a good excuse to go to The Green Dragon!"

Emerald sighed. How had she known that was coming?
Old 11-27-2002, 08:56 PM   #21
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

White-Hand

Carl Hoarwell rose early the next day after spending a restless night in the Green Dragon. Leaving his room Carl made his way to the common room to see what meagre food was available. For breakfast Carl had leftover Vegetable soup that looked closer to water than soup served with a crust of bread. After the less than satisfying meal Carl made his way to the stable to purchase a pony for the long trip along with what little feed could be spared for the poor beast.
Examining the last pony in the stall Carl thought that she looked half starved but he knew that she was in better shape than many of the shires inhabitants.

On the pony Carl strapped his camping kit, which included his spare cloths, what food could be purchased from the Green Dragon; a first aid kit, his bedroll and a spare cloak. On his person Carl kept his Dagger, Bow and a pouch full of tobacco and his new pipe purchased from the Green Dragon and lastly his flint and tinder. Carl was ready for the trip.

Making his way back to the Took House Carl saw the others preparing to leave, nudging the pony he moved to join the group.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:15 PM   #22
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was a frosty, cold morning when they set out. The warm breath of the ponies sent trails of fog spiraling out into the early morning air as they stood in the yard waiting for the two footed travellers to come out of the house.

'Thank goodness it didn't snow again last night.' said Mrs. Took in passing to her husband.

Camelia, as she was known to her friends and family, had just finished the packing for Bandy, as she called him, and was now loading some wooden crates up with what foods they could spare for the companions. They were a fortunate family - a number of strong sons still lived near and they and their father had hunted far afield to bring in game and fish for the Took larder. She herself had had a small, but productive garden, and had come up with a wonderful new idea for getting small plantings through frosty periods. Cold frame gardening she called it. She and her sons would be helping neighboring families to set it up for themselves while Bandy and his group were away.

Bullroarer was holding a last minute meeting in the large front room. Maps had been spread out on the tables there and groups of hobbits were bent over them. He had divided the group into five sections, and each group had a leader, of sorts, with a map. Someone he felt the others in the group could go to for direction and advice as needed.

There were 6 copies of their route. One each had gone to Halwon, Giles, Carl, Dinodas, and Branda, the last of course being for Bullroarer himself.

Dinodas would be paired with Robin. Hal would take Gaddy and Daisy. Carl with Daffodyl. Giles with Autumn. Branda would oversee Emerald and Celandine. Lotho would ride with Bullroarer, himself - there was much they needed to discuss about dealing with the Elves.

There were some raised eyebrows at these pairings, but Bullroarer made it clear these were for travelling purposes only. When camped, the males and females would separate into their own groups. It was Camelia who had first brought this to the old campaigner's attention, and knowing many of the girl's families - she had been adamant about this arrangement.

Each day a different group would lead the others, scouting out the Great East Road before them as need be; that is, once they left the boundaries of the Shire.

Camelia brought in several pots of hot, sweet tea and each had a final cup before stepping out the door. She stood on the door step, and waved good-bye to them as they started down the road. Branda and his group led the way.

All her good wishes trailed down the road after them. And she thought they might need them, as she noted the once again Bullroarer had neglected to have the wobbly left rear wheel of the great wagon fixed.

'To Frogmorton!' cried the great voice of Bullroarer from the rear. 'The Floating Log!' rang out several voices in response, anticipating already a warm fire and a pint.

[ November 28, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-29-2002, 12:44 PM   #23
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celandine was nervous, very nervous. That was the only emotion getting through the cold. She wondered when her father would wake up, and then, a few hours later, discover his daughter was missing. He would probably guess that she had left with Bandorbras and the company, for he knew she had always wanted to see the elves. She winced as the thought of her reception at home occured to her. Her parents would be furious.

She wondered what her cousin's reaction would be, when he found that she had stolen several pairs of his clothing for the journey.

Celamdine blushed in embaressment as hobbitfolk leanbed out of their windows and cheered at them as they went passed. Celandinde his herself behind Branda. She hoped her father was not yet awake, for that would be disatrous, if he caught her trying to leave.

She blushed even more as a hobbit-lass came running up to them, wishing them all farewell and good luck.

Celandine fell forward with a squeak, as a very large something barreled into her. She grinned through the snow. There was only one person who greeted her like that.

"Anston, get OFF me"

"Begging your pardon, cousin dear. But I wanted to wish you good luck, for I assumed you were going when I discovered three sets of clothing gone missing." He grinned at her. "Bring me back something. An elvish dagger prehaps? Or a splendid jewel?"

"Anston, you can't even use a dagger"

Her cousin grinned at her foolishly "I know. But it would be a pretty thing to have"

Celandine shook her head at him. "Go back, before your mother works herself up into a fit."

"MY mother? When you don't come home with your father, she's going to think you've been carried off by wolves or somthing."

Celandine scuffed her feet in the snow. "I know. Tell them goodbye for me."

Anston nodded "I'll do that. I must go, I've a farther way to run back than I had to get to you" wich was indeed true, for they had been tramping along at a steady pace as the cousins talked.

"Farewell, and good luck"

"Farwell"
Anston turned and scurried back down the road, as fast as his cloaks would allow him.

"Who was that?" asked Emerald, the other hobbit lass led by Branda

"My cousin, Anston." Celandine smiled fondly "We practically grew up together. We would always pretend that we were great heroes, off saving the day, and having great adventures."

"Why didn't he come along with us?"

Celandine shook her head "He's an only child, and his mother isn't well. He feels he has an obligation to stay with her.

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]
Old 11-29-2002, 01:02 PM   #24
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Autumn heart beat fast as the company started marching down the road. Women, crying out things, such as, "Good luck to you all!", as tears streamed down their faces, waved from their windows. Young hobbit children raced about the street, waving and calling to the travelers. Men looked up from their work to wave and call to the smiling and blushing travelers.

Autumn smiled, embarrased. She had never had so much attention before. Looking over at her traveling companion, Giles, she smiled at him as the joy of traveling swept her up. Then she turned back to the road and let her thoughts wander.

She saw a young hobit boy look up at her and wave, and Autumn choked down tears, for he looked a lot like her younger brother, Bill. Autumn thought about the last time when she had seen him. His pale, shruken face looking almost white against his brown bedding sheets. He had smiled up at her weakly and wished her good luck on her journey. Autumn felt her eyes start to water, but she fought back the tears, trying to appear tough to the other travelers.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:01 PM   #25
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Sting

As they set off down the road towards Frogmorton, Robin saw that many hobbits were cheering as they passed. She suddenly realized just what their company was doing for the Shire, and she felt pleased that she was part of it.

Beside her Dinodas walked on silently, every so often glancing over his shoulder with a rather sad face. Robin noticed it. "What's wrong, Dinodas?" she asked.

"Oh, I'm just not to up to leaving my sister behind without a goodbye," Dinodas said, shrugging. "She's such a sweet thing, Ann is. She was too busy cooking what we had left for the hobbit children in Bywater that she had no time to say goodbye to me. But that's all right, because I know she'll be thinking of us."

Robin smiled at him. "I haven't got much at home but me mother and father," she said, "but I'll miss them, and I don't know how I'm leaving them. To keep myself from running back home into my mother's tender arms, I just think of what joy there will be at our return."

"You think we will return, then?" Dinodas asked.

"Bullroarer will take care of us," Robin said, not really answering. She had turned her face away so Dinodas would not see the tears rising to her eyes at the thought of leaving her home and perhaps never returning. "I wish there'd been time to say goodbye more proper," she said, her voice coming out in barely a whisper. "But with all the packing to do there just wasn't. I only got to give Mum and Dad a quick hug before we had to go."

Just then there was a shout. All the company turned and saw a young hobbit lass running towards them. Dinodas immediately recognized her as Ann.

The girl first flung her arms around her brother's neck, tears spilling from her eyes, and then she embraced Robin. She walked from hobbit to hobbit, telling them how brave they were to do this for the Shire and shaking their hands. When she came to Bullroarer she hesitated a little, for she wasn't as sure of herself in the presence of this great hobbit, but at last she found words.

"I've most to thank you, Mr. Took, sir, for if you hadn't spoken up that day saying it's Rivendell we should go to for food, none of them would be going to help all the hobbits in the Shire. While you're gone I'll do what I can for the children, but I hope you'll accept this." She held out a small bag. "Little cakes, sir, for you and your company. Not much, but I thought they might bring you cheer when the road is dark."

Bullroarer took the bag from the lass, and smiled down at her. "Thank you," he said, and then turned to the company. "We'd best continue going towards Frogmorton now!" he said, and all the hobbits turned from Ann and began trudging through the snow once more.

Ann went once more to her brother and hugged him tightly as if she'd never let him go. "Come back soon and safe, Dinodas," she sobbed. "Mum and I'll be waiting for you." Then she let go and walked slowly away, back towards her home.

As they continued on, Dinodas was not ashamed of the tears that fell freely down his face.

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 11-29-2002, 03:31 PM   #26
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Autumn walked on down the worn road, barely seeing it, after Ann had left. Ann had reminded Autumn so much of her little brother, and now she wished that she could see him again, before she left. Looking up, the hobbit noticed Dinadad, who was walking along with tears in his eyes. Autumn felt sorry for him; she knew how it felt to leave brothers and sisters behind to go on this journey.

Autumn picked up her speed, waved to Giles that she would be right back and went over to talk toDinadas. She saw him quickly wipe his tears away as she approached, and Autumn smiled at him. She could tell that he was trying to appear tough to the rest of the company, and her heart ached for the pain that he must be going throught right then; the pain that she knew very well in her own heart.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:43 PM   #27
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Sting

Dinodas brushed the tears from his face as Autumn approached. He could see there was pain in her own face, and he knew he was not alone in the parting.

"Hello, Dinodas," Autumn said, walking along beside him.

"Hello," Dinodas said, looking rather embarrassed.

"Your sister Ann is very nice," said Autumn. "You'll probably miss her."

"I will," replied Dinodas. "I suppose you think me foolish, a hobbit lad at 32 years old, crying because he's leaving home for awhile."

"I don't think you foolish. I'll be leaving my brother, and I feel no less sorrowful than you. Besides, we all know that we might not come back."

Dinodas felt a smile come to his face. Autumn understood.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:10 PM   #28
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hal, Gaddy and Daisy were all quite bewildered by the young hobbit shaking their hands and thanking them.
"Hey, Gaddy, didn't she look like me sister?"
"Which one? You have five."
"Well, all of them, rolled into one."
"I suppose, but if you're going to say that, she could look like anyone."
Hal rolled his eyes and hit Gaddy on the shoulder,
"Don't be so literal."

"You have five sisters?" said Daisy to Hal,
"Certainly do-"
"All younger than him," Interrupted Gaddy, he caght Daisy's eye and a pink tinge came to both their faces. Gaddy looked away,
"I've got one older sister, a younger sister and a younger brother."

They continued to talk about their families. Hal looked away, he hadn't really thought about his family, he'd said goodbye to all of them many times, and his father was very proud of him for going, but he still felt that he hadn't said enough. How could you explain to a five-year-old that you're going away and might not come back. Hal looked across at Dinodas and Autumn, they looked like they were thinking the same sort of things.

Hal shook his head and came back to the real world,
"You alright Hal?" asked Daisy,
"Yeah, I'm fine, jus' thinking"
"About what?"
"Nothing important," Then, changing the subject, he said "I think I aught to get meself more used to the map."

Old 11-29-2002, 11:41 PM   #29
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

"How old's your brother, Autumn" asked Robin, joining in on the two hobbit's conversation.

Autumn looked over at Robin and smiled, "He's only 17. He wanted so badly to go with me on this journey, but there was no possible way that I could let him go after the attack and all. He's just not strong enough to go on this hard journey." Autumn gaze flickered to the ground, and she kicked a stone in anger.

Robin and Dinadas looked over at each other suprised. "Attack?" asked Dinadas.

"Haven't you heard of the Warg Attacks near the outskirts of Bywater? When the wargs came and attacked a small farm, nearly killing a young hobbit boy?" Autumn said, looking up at Dinadas questioningly.

Dinadas nodded, staring at Autumn in awe. "Do you mean that your brother was the one attacked by the wargs?" Robin asked her voice trembling ever so slightly.

Autumn nodded, tears forming in her eyes, though she tried to fight them back. "Yes. My brother and I were just playing outside, when, all of a sudden, wargs came out of nowhere and attacked us. I, luckily, had my dagger with me, so I was able to fight them off, but not before Bill was seriously injured. The doctor says that he is doing better, but what with the food shortage and this cold winter, it is having a terrible affect on his spirit. I just hope that he doesn't die before I can make it home with some of the food that we will get in Rivendell. I think that as long as I'm with him he won't die, but I don't know what will happen to him while I'm gone. But, I've got to keep hoping he'll be all right till I come home to him." Autumn raised her eyes from the ground, brushing away some stray tears, and smiled at her two traveling companions.

"I think that everyone on this journey has a reason for coming. That's my reason for why I'm on this quest. So, what is your all's reason?" asked Autumn looking back and forth between Robin and Dinadas.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:05 AM   #30
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Giles would be paired with Autumn, hmmm? At the back of the pack, Giles shuffled through icy slush, blushing a little, watching Autumn talk with everyone but him. But could he help it, if he was the kind who earned the reputation of finding it easier to talk to his hammers and saws and gimlets than to Shire folk? "Dealing with Dwarves, acts like he's just crawled out from under a rock, that's what comes from messing with metals and cutting down trees" his neighbors would say, shaking their heads with knowing concern. But no other Harfoot had volunteered to go with Bullroarer to Rivendell. *

* Reaching a decision, Giles nodded. Reaching down, he packed a fistful of snow until it glistened soft and smooth. Then, in a pleasant voice he sang out, "Oh Autumn !!!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] He aimed to miss, turned a cartwheel in the snow, stood to his feet, and waved a cordial greeting. *
Old 11-30-2002, 12:19 AM   #31
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Autumn laughed, surprised, as Giles did a cartwheel in the middle of the road. He's probally mad at me for leaving him alone, thought Autumn. I shouldn't have done that. it wasn't very kind of me. Deciding what she would do, Autumn handed the reins of her pony to Dinadas, and walked back to Giles and bowed low.

"That was a lovely performance, Giles." the hobbit lass said smiling at him, as she stood back up before him, "Would you like to join in on our conversation?"

Giles smiled, slightly blushing, "Of course I would, Autumn."

Quikly, Autumn lead Giles back up to Robin and Dinadas, who were waiting for her. "Robin, Dinadas, this is my companion, Giles," Autumn sayed cordially, taking her pony's reins from Dinadas.

Robin and Dinadas smiled at Giles, and then the four of them started walking down the worn raod covered with snow.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:58 AM   #32
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Sting

"You asked earlier what our reasons for going to Rivendell were," Dinodas said as they continued down the road. "I suppose my reason is because of my sister. She puts all the effort she can into caring for all the hungry hobbit children, that I felt I had to do something."

Robin was gazing up at the sky as she walked along, and she suddenly realized all eyes were on her.

"Oh," she said, blushing quickly. "I came on this adventure because..." She paused. Why had she come, anyway? She had no brother or sister. There was no great reason for her to have gone along.

Everyone looked expectantly at her. "I decided I come along because I wanted to help, I guess," Robin finished lamely. "I don't exactly know why I came, but I'm sure there is a reason." She shrugged. "I guess I'm not making any sense."

Autumn was looking at Dinodas curiously, for he had a wicked grin on his face. The hobbit lad moved closer to Giles and they began whispering together. Then Dinodas moved to stand next to Robin, while Giles walked next to Autumn.

"What's going on?" Robin demanded.

Dinodas just winked at Giles, and then all of a sudden the two hobbits lads grabbed the two hobbit lasses and swung them up onto the ponies. Robin and Autumn both screamed with surprise, and then looked blankly down at the two lads.

"Who was screaming over here?" a voice said.

The four hobbits turned to see Bullroarer standing by them, and the rest of the company looking at them curiously. Bullroarer's face was stern, but there was a twinkle in his eye.

"Er... that was us, sir," Robin said, gesturing to Autumn and herself. "You see, the boys kidnapped us."

"I see," Bullroarer said. "Just don't scream anymore unless there's really something to scream about." He walked back to the front of the company, chuckling softly so as no one would hear him.

Autumn looked indignantly down at Dinodas and Giles. "Now what was that for?" she asked.

"Oh, pay them no heed," Robin said, slipping off Gil-Galad. "They're just too full of energy."

Autumn jumped off Tom and smiled. "Does that mean we're friends?" she asked.

"Yes!" came the cry from the other three.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:47 AM   #33
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

White-Hand

Carl Hoarwell, lead his pony along the Great East Road beside him walked the young, curly-headed hobbit lass Daffodyl with her pony, Mooncloud. Carl studied the young hobbit that he had been assigned. Strange that he would be in charge of a hobbit that was older than he. Not being around other hobbits Carl was not very good at conversation with hobbits, never mind one that was of the female persuasion. Every time he opened his mouth around them he seemed to put his feet in.

‘Um… so your name is Daffodyl. Do you cook!’ said Carl. ‘Now why did I say that’? Thought Carl. Of course she cooks she’s a girl.

Daffodyl just looked at him. Carl looked away in embarrassment.

Taking his roll as leader seriously Carl scanned the roadside looking for any signs of wolf tracks. Wolves could be drawn to them from lack of food. Normally wolves would shy away from people, knowing that the larger beings were capable of producing fire. Even those smaller beings like a hobbit. However, during these lean times a female hobbit must look appealing to a pack of hungry wolfs. Taking out his bow Carl nocked an arrow in preparation for trouble.

The pair continued travelling in silence. During this time Carl continued his scanning of the countryside, looking up the road Carl saw a squirrel scamper into a tree beside the road. Taking aim Carl let loss a shaft pinning the rodent to the frozen trunk. At least they would eat fresh meet tonight. Taking the squirrel Carl tossed it to Daffodyl.
‘For our dinner. You can show me your cooking skills when we stop’. Daffodyl did not respond to this comment.
‘ I like my meat well cooked, with a few wild herbs added’. He looked towards Daffodyl to see if she agreed to his demands. She still remained silent.
‘You know… to keep the blood flowing’.
‘…’
‘ Fresh wild herbs, although in this weather they may be a bit hard to find’.
‘…..’
‘If you can not find them then I guess I could sacrifice some of my precious dried ones, although I’m reluctant to do so. You never know when someone might get sick’. She was not responding to him. He looked back at her again. She did not look too happy, ‘but you can never tell with these hobbit women’ he thought. ‘Maybe she is sitting on a bur. At least that’s what her expression would suggest’
‘If you are not fond of herbs, I’ll understand if you don’t eat?’
‘………’
“Um… is you bottom paining you?’ he asked expectantly.
‘……………….Squirrel? I think I can do something with this, but only….’, the squirrel flew back through the air towards Carl. He caught it in time to hear her finish.
“… if you skin it and prepare it first. This is a joint venture. We share all the chores. Even the cooking”. And with that issue settled to her satisfaction, Daffodyl left Carl holding the dead animal and with a stupefied look upon his face.
‘What was that all about?’
Old 11-30-2002, 09:37 AM   #34
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lotho had regarded the cheering hobbits with a cynical eye as they had left. Several of them had given him cold looks. He didn't blame them. They had been the not-too-happy customers of last year's leftovers from the harvest. All in all, Lotho was glad to get away from the Shire, and glad to get away from some of the unfriendliness.

Still, he felt important riding alongside the Bullroarer, who regarded the road ahead with a steady eye. He turned his attention to a hobbit ahead of him who was swinging a dead squirrel absent-mindedly in his hands (Carl Hoarwell, was it?) and rode up to him, feeling amused.

"All right there?" Lotho asked, his eyes twinkling slightly. "You look rather... " Lotho searched for an appropriate word. "...Surprised?" he finished.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:39 AM   #35
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The first leg of the trip was not too different than travelling back and forth to Bullroarer's house. The air was nippy, and the roads had a thin sheen of ice and snow, but it was possible to make steady progress. Branda smiled with amusement at the antics of Dinodas and Giles as well as Carl and Daffodyl's disagreement over the squirrel. Giles was usually so quiet and serious, but it seemed as if Dinodas had a gift for bringing out a mischievous streak in him.

All of the company were leading one or two pack horses, animals they owned or that had been given to them on loan from Bulroarer. It was vital that they get the ponies through. There was no way they'd carry enough on their own backs to feed the Shire through the winter.

As they walked along, Branda tried to make polite conversation with the two female hobbits that Bullroarer had told him to 'oversee'--Emerald and Celandine. But he felt awkward talking with hobbits, especially women, he barely knew.

Plus, the young hobbit wasn't quite sure what Bullroarer meant when he told Branda to "oversee" the women. That sounded a bit like the times his wife asked him to tend his three-year old daughter to make sure she didn't do anything rash that would land her in serious trouble. He guessed he was supposed to keep a close eye on them.

Branda was certainly familiar with this neck of the road, and had been to Frogmorton several times. He wondered if the Inn would have food in its larder or they'd have to rely on their own stores they'd brought along. Sandy was ladden with heavy bags of smoked and frozen fish, but he didn't want to use those unless he absolutely had to. He'd already spoken with Bullroarer about it, and he had agreed.

An hour of steady marching had passed when they made a brief stop to pick ice and stones out of their ponies' hooves. Branda took the opportunity to pull out the map Bullroarer had entrusted to him. He was carefully studying the route when Emerald came over.

"I'd like to look at that too," she said, leaning over and about to remove the map from Branda's hands.

"Hey, stop that," he responded in a soft but determined voice. You can look later. Maybe sometime tonight. I need to look at this route. That way, our group will be prepared when it's time for us to scout out the trail ahead."

Branda leaned against Stoney's back and peered more intently at the map in front of him. He hoped he had the ability to scout out the road as Bulroarer wanted him to do. In truth, his scouting and map reading skills were not very good. Usually, at home, he knew all the paths and trails by heart and never bothered with a map. He would actually have appreciated some help in figuring out this puzzling piece of paper. But, since Bullroarer had placed him in charge of the women, he didn't dare show them that he knew less than they did, at least about this.

Emerald was a no-nonsense girl who would not take no for an answer. Especially when there didn't seem to be any real reason for it. Surely, Branda could take five minutes to reliquish his precious map to her. Or even more sensibly, they could study it together and share their ideas.

Frustrated at the situation, Emerald turned around, scooped up a huge wad of snow, aimed straight and true, and smacked Branda square in the middle of the face. "That's what you get for not sharing the map!"

The hobbit stood by the side of the road, his face dripping with ice. For a moment, Emerald was uncertain what the lad would do. Even Branda was uncertain. Maybe he should sternly reprimand her. And then he did something that, for him at least, was totally out of character.

He had been under so much pressure: providing fish for his family and neighbors, fretting about the new baby on the way and his little daughter Violet, seeing other hobbits grow lean and sick, worrying about rumors of warg attacks, and now being placed in charge of two girls whom he barely knew. He was so sick of doing nothing but worry and act serious. Hobbits just weren't like that. When was the last time he'd attended a party or even spent the night carousing in a tavern? He couldn't even remember. All he could remember was snow and fighting off hunger.

Something inside Branda snapped. He came up laughing with a silly gleam in his eye, and grabbed a handful of snow, sending a snowball streaming over in the direction of Emerald. He hit her squarely on the back. Bullroarer stopped at the front of the line and looked on aghast as others began picking up snowballs and hurling them at their neighbors.

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-30-2002, 03:56 PM   #36
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Daisy, Hal and Gaddy were walking along in relative silence, the conversation had seemed to died off somewhat. Gaddy and Daisy were just walking, Leading Fallor and Lily, while Hal had his head buried in the map, trying to work out what he thought the best route was. Hal had only been given a quick course in map-reading, it not being needed for everyday use, so he was a little slow at working it out.

Soon enough the snowball fight broke out, the three didn't join in though, at first anyway. A stray snowball, thrown by none other than Branda, flew strait between Hal's face and the map and hit Gaddy in the side of the head.
"Hey! Watch the map!" said Hal,
"And my head!" Added a disgruntled Gaddy, Hal carefully folded up the map and packed it away into his trouser pocket.

Branda didn't listen to their complaints and instead threw another one at them, it headed directly at Gaddy, who ducked just in time. Then, without saying a thing all three of the group picked up some snow, rolled it into a ball and Branda found himself faced with three oncoming snowballs. He dodged one but the other two hit him on the leg and side,
"That'll teach you to throw snowballs at us!" cried Gaddy.

"Hey," said Emerald, "No one throws snowballs at my group leader and lives to tell the tale!" She threw her own snowball, which hit Daisy on the arm.

Soon the group had broken into their smaller sections and were throwing snowballs at each other, the pack animals and Bullroarer looked on, Bullroarer trying to gain some control of the situation.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #37
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Autumn had looked on happily as the snowball fight began; not totally sure whether or not she should join in. She saw Bullroarer stare aghast at Gaddy and a few of the other hobbits. But Autumn's attention was quickly changed as a stray snowball came flying at her, and hit her squarly on the side.

Autumn looked around for the culprit and saw Daisy, a little ways off, gazing triumphantly at her. Grinning, Autumn picked up some snow and threw it hard at Daisy,but she missed and hit Hal, who looked over at her and threw a snowball in her diretion. Autumn quickly ducked, though, and the snowball hit a surprised Giles in the face. Thinking that Autumn had thrown the snowball at him, Giles threw one back at her, missed, and hit Dinadas, who then threw one at Robin. And, so, their own little snowball fight was on.

Autumn ducked behind her pony, and grinned at Giles. She threw a snowball at him, and laughed as he was hit right in the face. Looking over at Bullroarer, Autumn's blood suddenly went cold in her veins.

There, a top his large pony, sat the hobbit with snow dripping down his face. It appeared that Bullroarer had accidently been hit by a stray snowball squarely in the face, and, now, he was very angry. Autumn stood up, wondering what the hobbit would do, barely noticing as she was hit in the back of the head with a snowball by Giles.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #38
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Sting

Dinodas snatched up a snowball and threw it at Gaddy, who was hit square in the nose. Robin laughed as Hal hit Dinodas in the forehead with a nice, firm snowball. She threw one at Daisy and was hit at the same time by Autumn. Grinning wickedly, the young Brandybuck took her revenge on the Gamwich, and then hurled a snowball at Giles.

The fight was just starting to get good, when Dinodas threw a snowball at Daisy and missed. The snowball hit Bullroarer smack in the face, and suddenly the group was silent.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:06 PM   #39
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She was really happy that Bullroarer had paired her with the two young hobbits. This would give her the chance to get to know them a lot better. They talked about their families as they walked along. Daisy told them that she had four brothers and two sisters at home, all of whom she had the chance to say goodbye.

The conversation grew quiet between the three hobbits again. Then Daisy heard Autumn ask everyone why they had decided to go to Rivendell. Daisy hadn’t really thought about why she was going other than to help get food back to all of the hobbits in the Shire. She realized that she was on this trip to try and prove to her self that she was really growing up and able to take care of herself. As she tried to answer the question a snowball went flying at her. The snowball had been thrown by Emerald. Everybody was picking up the snow and throwing snowballs so Daisy picked one up and threw it at Dinodas. She hit him on the arm and he in turn threw one at her. She ducked just in time, it went by her head and hit Bullroarer.

“oh my goodness,” Daisy thought as she looked at Bullroarer sitting on his pony with a shocked face. She didn’t know if he was angry or just truly surprised, so she ran behind Gaddy and hid hoping to stay out of the limelight if Bullroarer was really mad and started yelling. After all she didn’t start the snowball fight and wanted someone else to take the blame. She also didn’t want to be the one who had to tell Bullroarer who had hit him, or that because she ducked he got hit. As she stood there, she thought about how the snowball fight had helped break the tension everyone was feeling. It also gave them a chance to laugh for a few minutes, something some of them hadn’t done in months. Daisy hoped that Bullroarer would take that into account before he started yelling at everyone.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: Calenedheliel ]
Old 12-01-2002, 02:56 AM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

They hadn't even made it through the first day's trek and already the group had devolved into silliness. Still, he thought to himself, the group had broken the ice so to speak and were becoming more at ease with each other's company. He was feeling pleased with his pairings and chuckling over his clever use of the phrase 'broken the ice', when the cold, wet missile hit him.

He was surprised, more than angry, though any of his family would tell you that his expressions were often hard to read. Bullroarer wiped the slush from his face and turned his keen eyes on the group, seeking the culprit. All throwing had stopped, as the Hobbits looked at him wondering how he might react. All had an air of innocence about them as they stood there politely, hands behind their backs. And every single one of them look guilty to his eyes.

His gaze caught Lotho, standing off to the side, tsk-tsk'ing, at this display of foolishness. A wicked smile creased Bullroarer's lips as he picked up a great handful of snow, and forming it into a compact ball, lobbed it at Lotho, catching the surprised Hobbit squarely in the chest.

The group gasped to see Bullroarer throw the snowball, then cheered and joined once again in the melee. It was chaos on the Great East road for a short while as the air grew thick with Hobbit propelled snow. At last, wet and tired from their fun, they called a truce, laughing and brushing each other off.

Bullroarer marshalled them into line once again and they set off toward the Floating Log. It was only a short distance, round a bend in the road. They were glad to get to it. The sun had started to set and the air, already brisk, was growing colder, with the promise of more snow.

The fire in the common room was inviting and Bullroarer ordered pots of hot tea and honey all around. Once he had settled with the Innkeeper for rooms and food, he went out to the stable to see that the horses and ponies were well looked after by the stable boy.

Satisfied, he crossed the yard back to the Inn. The night sky was crisp and clear for the moment, thought they sky to the east promised hurrying clouds filled with snow, The stars shown out for a brief time like bright stones on black velvet. His gaze sought out The Wain and then Wilwarin in the north. Low along the western border stood Menelvagor, the Swordsman of the Sky, the one who protects Arda from the return of Melkor, or so he had learned from the Elves.

'Watch over us.' he murmured as his eyes took in the mighty form. His breath left a steamy trail in the cold night air as he strode back quickly to the warmth and light of the Inn.

Unheard by him, as he passed through the door and shut it tightly, was the distant, chilling chorus of howls.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]