Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2002, 12:01 PM   #161
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Poppy flushed slightly as Holly asked her questions.

“I’m not the best of writers,” she confessed, slightly embarrassed. “There were always other things I preferred to do, when I was told to be inside learning my letters. But elvish letters have always interested me when I saw them, but I must admit I know little about it.”

Holly opened her notebook and prepared to teach Poppy and Olo about the elvish letters, the two other hobbits peering over with interest.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:54 PM   #162
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly opened her notebook and took up her pen. Before dipping it in the ink, she scratched her head with the end of it, thinking how best she might accomodate these two levels of knowledge.

'I don't think I'll go into a long explanation of the tengwar, the characters used to write in Elvish.' Let's think of this more as a code we need to be able to recognize should we come upon it.' She wrote on two diffrent lines, in large script, the word 'Laurëondo'.

'This first one,' she said, drawing the qull feather along under it, 'is in the kind of writing called Fëanorian script. The word is written out by how the different parts of it sound.' She ran the feather under the second word. 'This is written in what's called the Beleriand Mode.' She pointed to each symbol - see how each letter that makes up the word is represented? It looks longer than the other way I wrote it, doesn't it?' They both nodded their heads, 'yes'. 'But really, it's the very same word.'

'I think we'd better be on the look out for these words, too, just in case Maladil has gotten tricky somehow in his hiding of the deed.'

She wrote out the following words and letters: gold, stone, 'L', and 'O', using both scripts. She quickly recopied the page, giving one to each of the Hobbits. 'Why don't you just look these over for today, and we can review them tonight. Perhaps you should find a place on yourselves where you can keep them hidden and safe. Any questions or suggestions, let's go over them tonight when we camp.' She smiled at both of them. 'Any quick questions now, before we have to be on our way . . .?'
Old 12-19-2002, 03:20 PM   #163
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aislan frowned and stood from the ground. She looked at the horse, who had obviously been told to do something by Nardol.

"Rustal isn't the only one who is ill-tempered." Aislan commented quietly, though she knew the elf could hear.

"Well then, I wish you a safe journey wherever you go after this, and go easy on your leg." Aislan pat Rustal one more time, carefully, and walked back to where her pack was.

Aislan smiled at her horse Eruntale, who stood near her pack. Eruntale was a timid horse, and fled whenever she smelled or sensed something strange going on. Eruntale always came back though, if Aislan called her.

Aislan wished they would start off soon. She didn't like waiting around for things. Aislan was not very patient, though she tried her hardest to be so when it came to horses. It seemed also to Aislan that most of the company was ready to go.

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 12-19-2002, 04:56 PM   #164
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Alearindu had quietly rode out on Mornen away from the group during the early morning. She had ventured ahead on the path to the castle to see if there were any more traps or the such. She was sure her Ranger eyes could catch something, and if not, her horse Mornen seemed to have a sense about danger.

Alearindu did run into a few set-ups, but made sure they were dismantled before continuing on. After she covered quite a long distance, she turned back towards the company. Alearindu estimated that their path should now be safe for at least a few hours.

Mornen galloped back to the company. Alearindu ignored the stares that some of the company gave her, having been gone for a bit, and walked Mornen over to Gandalf. She then dismounted and held Mornen's reins.

She spoke quietly, "I am sorry for not informing you,' Alearindu looked down at the ground. 'But, I rode ahead on Mornen and found a few obstacles on our path, which I got rid of. We should be safe for a few hours without having to worry." Alearindu nodded and awaited Gandalf's reaction.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:39 PM   #165
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie had slept late, and though uncomfortable dreams of battles and mad hobbits had flitted through her head, none were retained in the morning light. She was feeling rather chipper, (and hungry). She stretched her wings above her head, gave a mouth cracking yawn, and looked around the campsite to see if breakfast was still being served.

Holly was hovering over pen and paper, as always, but she had Olo and Poppy crouched beside her as well, as if they were attending to a lesson. Bird flew down and perched on Holly shoulder, but she was only drawing Elven letters over and over, and the others were copying her. As she leaned farther over for a better look, Holly gave her a perfunctory shove for breaking her concentration. So Bird moved on.

Bethberry and Andreth seemed to be cleaning up the breakfast things, which didn't look good. But Bird knew if she pleaded with the good woman, she would probably scrounge up a bannock or to to tide Birdie over until later. Since she didn't want to get wrangled into helping to clean up as well, she moved on.

Suddenly the plunging of a horse drew the skinchanger's attention, and her mood took a sour turn. There was Aislen ducking away from the great charger while its owner stood by with a satisfied smirk on his face. "What is he still doing here?" she muttered to herself in annoyance.

Bird flitted down to a near-by sapling as the Elf lord continued to groom his steed. Giving him a beady glare from a jackdaw eye, she said, "Sun's getting high, and you must have a long journey back to wherever you came from. Isn't it about time you packed up and got out of here?" The Elf whirled to face the bird in the tree with a glare, and Birdie gave him an equally withering glare in return.

"You are going, aren't you?"
Old 12-19-2002, 10:58 PM   #166
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Empty-eyed Calimiel drifted into the dungeon with mincing steps, face upturned, arms held out protectively. Though it would do her no harm to misjudge distances, still she shielded herself from passing entirely through solid objects without warning.
She hummed an off-key tune. When a stray beam of light glanced off the flickering form, Anna and the prisoners could faintly discern her disheveled dark auburn hair and faded gown of blue velvet interwoven with pure gold thread. The gown, too large, trailed along behind her on the floor.

She wore a lace veil to cover her face, and did not know whether the veil matched the gown. For the Orcs, objecting to the brightness of her eyes, had blinded her and marred her beauty.

Anna, you're ... here. Well met. What are you doing? Calimiel smiled a greeting, being within range of sensing her friend's presence.

Anna came away from the rusty iron bars. The two prisoners fortunate enough to obtain a meal of not one but two burned rabbits had clung onto the meat-laden bones and retreated with them to the back wall to see if anyone in the back had strength enough to eat. Muffled sobbing ensued from the two strongest prisoners. Did you know we have guests? They need to be fed. I'm doing what I can. Two of them I've given rabbits for supper. Three of them have not moved in a long time.

Fed? Why of course! There's my herb garden ... and those old apple and pear trees that I've forgotten about for centuries. Calimiel passed through the iron bars to check on the prisoners. Though they whimpered and moaned, she did not leave them be until she had placed her hand on five different ones. Her touch only made them cry out the louder and draw back. Two along the back wall are dead. That leaves three, a man and two women. One is mine, of course. Celumëomaryu told me she wanted one … But there's not enough to go around, now, Anna. For what about you?

What are they for, Calimiel? Why are they here?

Whilst they live, they can tell us tidings of the outside world. But Anna ... I want to see again! Calimiel shrieked these last words with all her spirit, so that the prisoners heard a menacingly wailed, "I waaantt sseee agaaaain!"

Anna, about to wrinkle up her nose and go in search of pears and apples, hovered, intrigued despite herself. I am as deserving as Celumëomaryu. Why not ... a contest between us two? A singing contest? Something to pass the time. Somehow, the topic of conversation always came back to passing the time. Anna sighed.

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-20-2002, 05:19 AM   #167
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Splitting the air like a thrown dagger, Wyrd careened down out of the sky, his talons nearly slashing the hand that held the curry brush as he knocked the brush out of Nardol's hand. Surprised and shaken off balance, Nardol could recover only by placing his entire weight on his injured leg. He grimaced in pain as he swore at the bird and grabbed onto Rustal for support.

Nardol's concentration lost, Bethberry suddenly appeared on the other side of Rustal and began speaking quietly to the horse, but not touching him. Then she turned to Aislan.

"I am glad to see you suffered no hurt when you tumbled, Aislan. As you well know, given your great knowledge of the animals, a horse that is so careless of people around it is not reliable. Let us hope that our safety is not compromised by Rustal or we should be forced to let him go."

With that remark, Bethberry ducked down under Rustal's head, this time patting him, to appear on his other side where Nardol was, picking up the curry brush as she did so. She handed it back to Nardol, looking at him directly and holding his gaze. She spoke loudly, in a public voice.

"I came to see if you needed something for the pain in your leg or if you were intending to let the pain worry you and thereby feed your misery." Then, lowering her voice so only he could hear, she advised him, "Teaching an animal your fell mood is cruel abuse of the animal, Nardol. Don't go there." Speaking again more loudly, she said, "Willow bark and other herbs will work well. You are welcome to some should you wish."
Old 12-20-2002, 08:52 AM   #168
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird laughed uproariously at the Elf, sucking his palm where the little falcon had nipped it with his claws. And the tongue-lashing given to him by good Bethberry tickled her no end. Elves in general tended to annoy the little skinchanger, and this Elf in particular had rubbed Birdie the wrong way ever since he had pulled a sword on her.

"Ha!" she jeered from her branch. "Seems that birds and arrows are better judges of character then most people 'round here, Bethberry." and Birdie began to sing and dance:

"O! What are you doing,
And when are you going?
Your horse is ill-tempered,
And you are no better!
O, tra-la-la-lally,
Down here in the Valley!"

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-20-2002, 09:21 AM   #169
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"I waaantt tooo sseee agaaaain!"

The shriek echoed through the halls of the castle, seeming to shake the very stones, and the mad lord in his chambers took up his own wails in answer.

"To arms! To arms! Secure the doors!"

The Butler clenched his fists and squeezed shut his eyes in a barely controlled fury. For centuries he had performed his silent duties whilst the family of Malandil had whirled and lamented around him. But now, when escape from his doom seemed so near, it was all he could do not to scream his own frustrations and accusations to the winds and stones himself.

Instead, he willed himself to the prison, materializing before Anna, Calimiel and the prisoners, who were now crouched againest the farthest wall, clutching their ears and moaning in fear.

"Anna! Can I not trust you to do the simplest errands. What have you done to upset our young Lady now?"

"I've done nothing!" hissed Anna, who seemed to be forgetting her place the longer she haunted. "I came to feed the prisoners as you ordered, but look!" She whirled and pointed a the dead husks laying against the wall, noting sadly that the feas of these poor wretches had not lingered within the walls of Maladil. "O' happy dead." she thought.

The Butler's eyes widened as he hovered above the prisoners, both living and dead. Only three left? How could this be? They had only arrived at the Castle yesterday. Hadn't they? Time had ceased to have any meaning to The Butler, but the immaciated forms of the prisoners seemed to beg to differ on the length of their stay. Only three left, and but one a male? This was a disaster!

We have to find more! he thought in a panic. "Anna, see to these prisoners! If any more die, it will be on your head!" The Butler's form melted away, and catching a wind in the courtyard, he flew to the top of the wall, and stretching forth his arms, sent out a ghastly, reverberating wail, which shook the castle and rolled over the forest like a crack of thunder.

Old 12-20-2002, 09:22 AM   #170
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Nardol's face turned red and his scar writhed like a snake as he clenched his jaw. He looked first at Bethberry then turned to face the bird who was dancing and taunting him from a branch overhead. His eyes blazed and his lips narrowed to a thin line as he rounded upon Bethberry and spat out his words.

"What would you know of my mood?" he said in a sharp tone. "Have you been where I have been or seen what I have seen? I was consigned to the hell of Angband by the treachery of Men and have witnessed the weakness and lack of faith of the Atani on times beyond count. Little more than beasts they seem and the most noble of Men far below the station of the meanest of my people. Too often have I mourned beside the graves of my people who were slain by Men and their deceptions. My own wife and son fled into the West to escape a Middle Earth fallen under the taint of the Hildor. Ever the Elves have retreated before the Usurpers and abandoned the lands they loved leaving them to the lesser race. You name me 'fell' but if I am it is not without cause."

He spun and looked up at Bird. "Take care Shapechanger," he hissed. "Lest I spit thee on a dart and serve you up for dinner..."

Before either could respond, he limped away to where his pack rested on the ground and began to gather his things. He looked up at Gandalf who was watching him with a grim expression. "I leave you to your fool errand," he growled. "Take care lest you fall victim to the fickleness of Man in your turn."

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 12-20-2002, 09:49 AM   #171
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird jumped from the branch, morphing into woman's form as she fell and landing in front of the Elf with a thump.

"Just try it, Elfling. I can squash you like a beetle, should I care to. And as for the treachery of Men - they only took to heart the lessons you taught them. Your kind have had the ages to perfect the arts of treason, greed, and kin-slaying, and I doubt that Man shall ever rise to your level of skills in those areas."

And don't blame Men for your "banishment". We have to stay here and muddle along with the poor gifts Eru has granted us. But when the weight of your follies become too great to bear, you Elf-folk can go trotting off to bang on the gates of Valinor, pleading "Oh, let us in! We're so sorry!"

The little woman whirled and stomped off, but then turned once more to the deadly Elf. "Better a "beast" than a coward and quitter!" she hurled back at Nardol.

But suddenly, the entire camp froze as a call came rolling through the forest. A wail that rose to a shriek, then faded on the air to a ghostly low moan. Breath and wind will stilled, and the very morning seemed to darken. Then it was gone.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:29 AM   #172
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Andreth stepped up to the campfire, her red hair streaming out and her green eyes glaring. She was not afraid, since the wail of the woods sounded just like that in her dreams. And she had faced that wail night after night, yet still managed to rise and prevail the next morning. Let others shrink at sounds. She and her kin could not, for they carried a burden which could not yet be laid down.

As the wailing sound retreated, she turned her stern gaze on the figure of Bird. "If you call the Elf coward for running away, then show me you are different. Stand still and listen to what I say. And you, sir Elf, are no better and had best heed my words."

"What is happening here? Are we so embittered that we can do naught but battle with each other. This journey had a purpose, a purpose you all seem to have forgotten. We are on this road to help the folk in Castle Maladil. Those shrieks that we hear now are proof of this."

Can you not put your differences aside for one moment to feel the sadness that pours out of that castle? Will you do nothing to help them, but stand here and bicker whether this race or that race is better than the others."

"I swear I will move on by myself, if no one here can see beyond their own nose to the needs of those who lie at the end of this road."

Nardol turned and snarled at her. "You.... what is your name? You are but a child. You'd best keep out of business that lies over your head and far beyond the ken of any mortal."

Then he laughed grimly, "What would a child know of the sadness of this castle? For they, being fools, brought this doom upon themselves. Yet it goes back for long ages, far longer than you or your parents or grandparents have been on this earth."

Anger welled up within the girl yet she struggled to answer in a quiet voice, "Master Elf, immortal you are, but you do not know all that lies within Middle-earth. I feel the pain in that castle as if it was my own, for indeed it does drip down upon my family."

"Every night, I see it in dreams that haunt my sleep. I have watched as my father tosses about in the night, unable to rest, because those folk lie in dire sadness and peril. So tell me not I am but a child. I am enough of an adult to know more of these matters than you."

She lowered her voice to address only the Elf, "Nardol, I would have you journey with us down this road for in my heart I believe you have some special part to play. But if all you can feel is bitterness, you had best leave us alone, and go your separate path."

"And as to mortals and Elves, there has been evil enough in the hearts of both to fill a thousand books. None of us can have pride in this sad story, nor the great wrongs which have been done between the races. I too feel the anger and the shame that pours forth from these old tales."

"But, as a mortal, I will say this. It is no easy thing to live on Arda as a guest and not to know where your destiny lies after death. That is what led to the tragedy of Maladil, and to the enslavement of those folk. For, like children, they feared to travel to the circles beyond the world, towards that which is not known. So rail not so against my people. Not all good or evil lies in one race, or another. We all bear a share of the grief and the goodness."

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-20-2002, 01:14 PM   #173
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

ENOUGH !!!

* Gandalf's voice burst through the storm of rising and fell voices, silencing all others. *

Poppy Took, you can walk, with a limp?

* The Hobbit nodded, eyes wide, as Gandalf handed her a dusty burlap sack tied with rope. She slumped over to one side, nearly losing her balance. * Why, it weighs half as much as I do! What's in here, Gandalf?

* The wizard took back the bag, opened it, spilled out the contents in a clinking heap on the ground, smiled gently. * Enough gold for you to live like a princess in the largest smials in the Shire for years to come, my dear Hobbit. But this treasure is not yours. Nor is it mine. This gold was entrusted to me by Master Elrond, as expense money to be used for fighting all servants of the Enemy along my road. I shall ask you to serve as ambassador and carry it, alone, into Castle Maladil, to present to the Lord of the Castle, who should be our ally. For they called him OrcBane, and I would hold him to that name.

Nardol, you see who braves the perils of Laurëondo ... those society deems weakest. We face ghosts whom none of the free peoples have dared face in thousands of years. A villain from the Second Age, keeping captive the fëa of innocent ... or once-innocent ... Elves, and spirits of Men, who had themselves no voice in the decision of a madman. But not ghosts alone, now. Orcs have dealings at the Castle. In the Second Age, worthy warriors such as you would have confronted a villain such as Maladil, to win well-deserved riches and renown in song. Your services would stand us in good stead. What say you?

Old 12-20-2002, 03:18 PM   #174
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

With a sorrowing grimace, Bethberry looked at Birdie and then at Nardol.

"I have not meant to cause greater discord, but to spare more. So much pain and hurt in the past ages was been caused by a refusal to accept people as people, as individuals worthy of earning their own respect and trust. Instead, they groaned and fell when forced to ferry the weight of community burdens."

"Come, let us agree to accept each other on our own terms and put aside the debts and discredits of Ages past. Nardol, your hand was not supposed to be touched by the bird. Has it been?"

Bethberry reached out and, audaciously, took the elf's hand in hers, examining it. From a pocket, she brought forth a small cloth and wiped the stain away. Then she handed him the herbal cakes to ease the pain of the leg injury.

"Use that, wherever it is you choose to ride and know that I apologize for my words to you. I must see to Polly now, for I want her comfortable on this hasty departure also. She may be in greater need of help."

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-20-2002, 03:41 PM   #175
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Olo gasped when he heard what Gandalf proposed to have Poppy do. ‘Send her in alone!’ he hissed to Holly, who stood at his side frowning at the wizard’s announcement. He made to step forward, to say that no Hobbit was going into that dreadful place alone, but Holly placed her hand on his arm, holding him back.

‘Let’s think about this, Olo. Not that I think Gandalf has the right of it, but perhaps we can use this to our advantage.’ She fingered the pieces of paper in her breast pocket – the map, and the one on which she had written the Elven words and letters. ‘Let’s wait until the spotlight is off her, then let’s talk to Poppy. No one will mind us Hobbits having a small talk about what’s been said.’ She rubbed the tangle of curls at the side of her head absentmindedly. ‘I think I'll go get Bird to come talk with us, too. I think she would find what I’m thinking to be quite interesting.’

She walked away from him humming a tune, her eye on the large sack of gold. He watched her, a half smile on his face, replaced quickly by a frown of concern.

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #176
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Nardol looked from Gandalf to Bethberry to the bag of gold resting on the ground at Poppy's feet. He shames me. He implies that those lesser than me will take this chance to right a wrong which one of my race has wrought and perchance secure some reward for their assistance. Then he thought back to Elrond's words again. For a long moment he was silent.

"Very well," he said at last. "Since this quest is the wish of Master Elrond, I will lend you my assistance." Behind him, he heard Bird groan but ignored the slight.

He accepted the cakes from Bethberry with a curt nod and laid his pack back down. Ignoring the stares of the others, he sat down and began to eat...
Old 12-20-2002, 04:47 PM   #177
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf looked up from his position bent down fastening Volondil's sledge to Mornen with rope and leather, to smile at both the injured Ranger Volondil, and the young Ranger Alearindu. Though Alearindu had still needed to change Mornen's leg wraps this morning, the horse was in good shape. Gandalf had considered having Midnight either bear Volondil or pull the sledge, but the black horse carried a wary gleam in its eyes after hearing the echoing ghostly wail. *

Thank you for your helpfulness, Alearindu, in scouting out the road ahead. We've enough surprises in store for us at Laurëondo, and 'twould benefit the castle inhabitants nothing if we became ghosts ourselves along the way.

* Giving Mornen a final pat and word to take the road cautiously and slow, the wizard took up his staff and stood alongside Andreth. * Come now, all whom destiny calls to this journey.

* Those who would, took to the appointed path. Gandalf looked at Andreth appraisingly. * Your people, you say?

Old 12-20-2002, 09:15 PM   #178
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Poppy felt shock upon feeling the sack of gold in her arms, she nearly toppled over, and stood breath taken. As Gandalf took back the bag, and poured some of the gold, Poppy was even more amazed. Clinking gold coins, so many of them! They shone in the light, and Poppy’s mouth hung open.

But more was yet to come, as Gandalf spoke further, and as he continued, Poppy’s eyes widened and widened, half with anticipation and half with fear. She dimly heard Olo gasp, but she remained standing still, looking at the gold, looking at Gandalf.

“I will do it,” Poppy murmured to herself. “I will take this gold into Castle Maladil,” trying to sound braver than she felt, yet wondering what a ghost could possibly do with all this money. Why, it must be worth more than the Shire!

She saw Holly and Olo whispering in the corner, a small smile appearing on Holly’s face as she looked over in Poppy’s direction and then down to the sack of gold. Poppy couldn’t help but feel slightly suspicious, and tried to limp over to them to speak, attempting to drag the gold behind her, but failing.

In the end she remained by the gold, trying not to feel daunted by the prospect of going into the castle alone…
Old 12-21-2002, 01:05 AM   #179
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu smiled a little at Gandalf, and glanced over at the other Ranger before taking her pack off her shoulder.

She dug through the pack a bit, and then pulled out some leg wrappings for Mornen. Alearindu also grabbed a cloth, and wet it. She then walked over to the horse, and knelt.

One by one, she gently unwrapped the bandages, and dabbed any wounds with the wet cloth. The wounds now were mostly small, save the bruising from where he had almost fallen into the pit. Alearindu rewrapped his legs, and then stood.

Mornen pulled at the leather straps a bit, testing what weight he was to pull. Alearindu frowed at him. 'We're not quite ready to go. Stop that.' She laughed, and then also removed small pieces of cloth, of which she put where the leather touched the horses skin. It was to prevent any burns or cuts for any reason. Better safe, than sorry.

Alearindu then emptied out her pack, checked for all the items she needed. She nodded, repacked, and tossed the pack back on her shoulders. She signaled Mornen to follow Gandalf at a slow pace. Alearindu was about to walk to Mornen's shoulder, when she decided to drop back and talk to the other Ranger.

She stopped a bit, and then walked by the sledge. She then attempted to make an easy conversation with Volondil, 'From what I have heard, you, as well, are a Ranger. I know I tend to be quiet and to myself, and I apologise. I am the Ranger Alearindu, and this horse is Mornen, which means 'Black Waters'. I'm sure he'll make sure that you don't get a miserable ride. He's usually picky about the ground he walks upon, when he can be.' Alearindu nodded a little, and then looked at the Ranger and wondered if she left any room for a response, and if the other Ranger even felt like carrying a conversation.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: TheLadyAerowen ]
Old 12-21-2002, 01:47 AM   #180
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Well met, Ranger Alearindu.' came the quiet voice of Volondil, as he smiled up at her. 'I am sure this good horse will bear his burden well. Though I must say I would rather walk at his side or ask that he bear me on his back, if he would, than be dragged behind as an invalid.' He sighed and put his hand gingerly against his side with a light pressure to ease the ache of his wound.

He raised himself up as well as the straps of the would allow him. 'Tell me, Ranger, since we are to be close travelling companions, what reason have you of being on this journey with the wizard, Gandalf. Have you been sent to lend your aid to them, or does something other cause you to travel to Tharbad?' He awaited her answer, watching her closely as she chose her words.

From the corner of his eye, he noted Holly as she walked over to the other female Hobbit, Poppy. She was helping her carry the bag of gold to where the girl, Andreth, held her horse in readiness. As they walked, Holly leaned in close to Poppy, speaking close to her ear, while Poppy nodded her head in seeming agreement.

Once at the horse, Holly helped the other Hobbit up. Then tying the neck of the sack securely, she handed it up to Poppy, who grasped it firmly in her hands. 'Best keep good hold of that.' he heard, as she handed up the gold. 'I'll see you tonight when we make camp.' she said. He saw Holly wave and walk back to Peri and Olo, a smile on her face.

'Now what is she up to?' he thought to himself. Another voice broke in upon his thoughts. 'I'm sorry!' he said to Alearindu, a small frown on his face. 'My thoughts were elsewhere for the moment. Tell me again - what were you saying?'
Old 12-21-2002, 11:34 AM   #181
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu laughed a little at Volondil. 'I was saying, that I would, as well, much rather be on horse-back than being dragged along behind him.'

Alearindu grinned, and then continued. "I wasn't able to be at the Council of Rangers, for I had other duties to attend to. But, I was at the feast we had later, which is where I had met Gandalf and Bethberry. I was actually informed by Strider, or others might know him as Aragorn, about Castle Maladil.'

'Yes, Aragorn was a close friend of mine. But, as he told me of this journey, I decided to come because well, for one, it's a good adventure for me, and I feel I can help in some way when a company of many different races goes on such an adventure. I know many forms of healing, but it seems I am not the only one.'

'And yet, on this journey, I feel incomplete. I have a very dear friend whom I would die for. She is called Aerowen, and she gave me the sword I carry and the necklace I bear. I'm not quite sure why she isn't with us. I'm sure she would love another journey, but maybe there was something I wasn't informed of.' Alearindu went quiet here, already missing her friend terribly.

'As long as I live through this journey, I shall see her again.' Alearindu nodded and smiled a little at Volondil.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:12 PM   #182
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
The Eye

Kenelm stepped lightly up to the dungeon, harp clenched in his hands. He found two others, his sister Calimiel and the servant Anna, hurriedly tending to the frightened, unkempt prisoners. Kenelm stopped abruptly, peering at the three Men, slightly curious, although not showing up in his sad eyes.

"What is this... ?" He asked softly. "Prisoners, in the dungeons of the Castle? There has been naught in here that I had known of." He drifted closer, kneeling down and placing a fingertip on an iron bar.

"And what brought you here?" Anna asked, although inside glad that Kenelm was here.

"There was a shout... Calimiel..." his voice trailed off, and he looked towards his sibling, who was helping Anna to take care of them. Although still curious as to why there were living people here, in the dungeons, of all things, he said not another word, and decided to comfort the piteous prisoners with the notes of his harp, sitting in a dank, dark corner of the cell, looking mostly at the lifeless bodies and moaning a woeful song.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 12-21-2002, 01:37 PM   #183
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Volondil removed the straps which held him to the sledge, and asked if Alearindu might help him up for a moment. 'Too much lying about has made me weak.' he muttered. He put his hand to his side to splint his injury and bade the Ranger walk about with him for a moment.

He placed his hand on her shoulder, lightly, for support, and walked along, gingerly at first, then with more ease as sore, stiff muscles stretched out. He motioned with a nod of his head for her to take him to one of the downed logs that lay at the side of the road they were to travel.

'Let us sit here in the sun for a while, before we begin our journey, if you don't mind.' He let the warm sun play on his face for a moment, then turned to her. 'Tell me of the friend you spoke of, if you will. She seems very dear to you, indeed.'

She began to speak to him, and he listened carefully, though often his gaze grew distracted , she noted, as he followed the movements of the small woman with raven black hair.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #184
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu helped Volondil out of the sledge, and then helped him walk around a bit. After he requested to go sit on the fallen log, she walked with him over there, after motioning Mornen to stay where he was.

She sat down beside Volondil. 'Tell me of the friend you spoke of, if you will. She seems very dear to you, indeed.' He asked of her.

Alearindu nodded, and then began a short story. 'Aerowen and I met after I left home to become a Ranger. Strider was the one who mostly taught us. But we found that we had many things in common.'

'From the point when we first met, we were inseperable. We went everywhere together. Journeys, battles, or just a fun adventure.'

'But one thing Aerowen had, was an ability to almost, if not actually, talk to horses. She was born in Rohan, and therefore grew up around them. The horse she has now, Glossaran, 'Snow-King', is a foal that was born in the winter of all times. His mother died, but Aerowen became a mother to him, and therefore he is now the most loyal horse you have ever seen to her. He was born a light-brown, and now he is as white as snow. Quite interesting, if I may say so.'

'Though, I still cannot figure out why she didn't come with me this time.' Alearindu sighed a little. ' I thought she said something about family... but I'm not sure.'

Alearindu then stood, and unsheathed her sword, slowly, though, as to not startle anyone, and then sat back down.

' As I was saying before, Aerowen and I have two things that we keep in remembrance of the other, in times when we might be seperated. This, is Maciloidul. Aerowen holds the exact copy. How two were made, I know not. But also, the necklace I wear...'

Alearindu tilted her neck back and pulled gently on a chain, pulling out a pendant with a silver chain and base. The base was two slim leaves intertwined, and the jewels on it were of emerald, which matched the colour of Alearindu's eyes and went well with her copper hair. 'Aerowen's looks the same, except her stones are amethyst, which match her eyes and blonde hair, as well.'

Alearindu gazed at the pendant as if she had never seen it before, and then placed it back on her collar. 'As I keep saying, I wish Aerowen were here. She's a lively one to have around at points, and a helpful one when it comes to healing, as well.' Alearindu laughed and smiled at Volondil. 'We should ask Gandalf if you could just ride on Mornen's back. I'm not quite sure how much Mornen likes pulling something behind him.'
Old 12-21-2002, 04:55 PM   #185
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Ah! You have indeed read my wishes!' laughed Volondil. 'I was going to ask if that would be acceptable to both you and Mornen.' He glanced to where the healer stood. 'Though perhaps I should consult Bethberry.' He frowned, and pushed against his wound gently. 'No, I think I can gauge my readiness best. As long as Mornen will bear me gently.'

He reached out slowly with his fingers and lifted the necklace from her collar. 'A lovely remembrance.' His grey eyes grew darker as looked at the leaves, then laid it back against her. 'How wonderful to have such a friend.'

Volondil looked into the distance, remembering friends long gone who had once been at his side. When he turned back to her, his eyes had cleared and he took in the Ranger and her horse in an appraising glance.

'But what of you?' he asked. 'You have made this generous offer to me. Did you intend to walk? Or will Mornen bear us both to the castle?

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-21-2002, 06:22 PM   #186
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie walked behind Peri in a sulk. Everyone had chided her! Was she the only one who could see that tricksy, sullen Elf for the blown-up misanthrope that he was?

"At best he'll assail the castle and take all for himself, or for his master, Elrond. At worse he'll side with the Elven wraiths and sell us all down the Anduin to the Corsairs. What do we know about this Elf? Nothing! He could have written that note himself, and never been nearer to Elrond than a Beorn. How much does Gandalf [i]really know of him?"

Holly rolled her eyes. She was very aware of Bird's dislike (more than a little based on envy) of the Elven-Folk. The little woman enjoyed thumbing her nose at her "betters" and little liked being called out for it. She hoped that the battle of ire between her and Nardol was over, but she sincerely doubted it.

To change the subject, Holly said. "It's glad I am that you are here with us, Bird. I can't think why Gandalf should choose Poppy to guard for such a fortune, but if that's her lot, then we can do nothing else than help her, and I can't think of any better than you to watch our backs."

"Hmmph! You'll need it, if I'm any judge. That Nardol's likely to snatch it back any minute. And Where does that Andreth fit in to the puzzle, I'd like to know? She looks to be a simple thing, but she seems to think she has some claim to this castle, and all that lies in it. If you don't watch yourselves, you hobbits will wind up doing all the work, and see naught for your efforts but a silver penny. I know, 'cause if there's any better at doing a little burgling than a hobbit, it's myself. You'll see, it's all "we can't do it without you" in the beginning, but once the deed's done, then any payment will be late in coming."

Holly sighed in exasperation. Olo was looking sideways at Bird, perhaps remembering her own "tricksyness" when it came to sleight of hand, and Poppy was staring down at the sack of gold, perhaps wondering if she would wind up in the middle, if it should come to the "Big Folk" starting a fight over it. Holding this treasure was beginning to make her feel as if she held a Balrog by the tail.

Seeking to change the subject once again, Holly gestured with her chin over to the Rangers. "Volondil appears to be doing better. He insists on riding, despite his wound."

Bird cast an eye over to the two green-clad humans, who seemed to be deep in conversation. "Probably didn't want that Alearindu to see him flat on his back. Anyway, he seems to have forgotten who stood over him when those Orcs were attacking, hasn't he? Well, I suppose those two have all sorts of things in common to speak of. Tracking, and fewmits, secret signs and such. Very cozy, the two of them."

Holly had had enough. "Oh, would you please change into something until you are in a better mood! You are enough to make the sun hide behind a cloud right now."

"Well! If that's how you feel about it! I'll just go. Just remember," she said as she started to morph, "if more folk would listen to Birdie..."

"then Middle-earth would be a better place." Holly finished with a smile, as Bird spread her wings and flew away.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:01 PM   #187
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu laughed a bit. 'Mornen will be fine, Volondil. He's been well trained by Aerowen, myself, and even Strider. I'm sure he'll be smooth.' Alearindu chuckled again.

Alearindu pulled back a little at first when Volondil reached for her necklace. 'A lovely remembrance.' He had said, and then his eyes seemed to change. Alearindu furrowed her brow and put her hand on Volondil's shoulder. 'Aerowen is a great friend, yes, but what is it that troubles you about this pendant of mine?' But as soon as he looked at her again, his eyes were normal. Alearindu decided to maybe ask again later.

'But what of you?' he asked. 'You have made this generous offer to me. Did you intend to walk? Or will Mornen bear us both to the castle?'

Alearindu laughed. 'I'll walk, yes. I don't need to ride. Mornen could bear us both to the castle, but I'm not sure if I see that quite necessary. You're injured, I am not. Mornen doesn't act up... unless he gets frightened, which even that is rare. But, I've never seen how Mornen acts around ghosts, and it might be easier to control him from his head, and not his back. But, if for some reason it is better, I will.' Alearindu nodded, and then stood. 'Are you ready to go, Volondil? Or do you need a bit more time?'
Old 12-21-2002, 09:36 PM   #188
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

It being after sunup, Glomburz and Shargash, two Half-Orcs, half-trotted to the end of a thin dirt path, then through rattling brown knee-deep grass to meet the Butler. Glomburz slowed his pace to a ridiculously exaggerated buffoon-walk the closer they came, making the grass creak and crack as loud as he could at every step. “After all, he’s got all eternity to wait. I dunno why he wants us so quick.” Glomburz guffawed at his own ill-humored remark.

Shargash elbowed Glomburz in the ribs. “Garn now, he’ll hear you. Ghosts aren’t as deaf as you are dumb.”

Glomburz frowned, making a show of rubbing his ribs, though they hurt not at all. “And what of it? He needs us more than wot we needs him. They all needs us, them that’s cooped up in ole Malaise Dull Castle.”

The Butler let out another ear-cleaving shriek. Not because he needed to. Just to see the vermin flinch. And flinch they did. As well they should. “The prisoners you sent were not sufficient. A sickly lot, two are dead. Bring to me a new bunch, stronger and more durable, and quickly!”

“Oh ... and quickly? Or what? You’ll tell Lord Malaise Dull that there are Orcs on his land? And then what? That yerself, yer in cahoots with us?” Glomburz stooped down. Mimicking Maladil’s every gesture, he picked up a broken beer bottle, straightened, and flung the bottle right on through the Butler’s chest. The bottle went sailing out his shimmering back to tinkle into crumbled shards against the outer entryway gate. “Stronger ones put up more of a fight. What will yer pay?”

The Butler choked back his fuming temper and stood unblinking. “Bring them, and see.”

Shargash gazed at the Butler. “Don’t pay Glowering Glomburz here no mind. We’re agreeable, yer know. You want out of the Castle. We want in ... after yer out. Somehow, we just gotta figure out how. Curse the curse!”
Old 12-21-2002, 11:55 PM   #189
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Trudging on foot down the road, Andreth stayed close behind Whinny, keeping an eye on her pony who was carrying Poppy on his back. The hobbit clutched the sack of gold tightly in her hand, while those about kept staring back and wondering just how many coins were in that heavy bag.

Despite the brightness of the day, Andreth found her spirits sinking lower as she listened to conversations sprouting up around her. No one had bothered to answer her earlier question as to why they'd chosen to come on this adventure. Nor had any bothered to say they agreed with her that the fate of the Castle should take precedence over all this bickering and discord.

With the exception of Gandalf and Bethberry, she did not see a single person who cared in the slightest what was actually going on inside those walls to the folk who were trapped there. It seemed that most were more concerned about that heavy satchel Poppy carried.

Nor was the Elf any better. Nardol had finally agreed to Gandalf's plea to come along, but his only real interest seemed to lie in making a name for himself. She'd even heard Bird and Holly complaining they might not receive sufficient payment for the services they rendered. What a pair! And how could Gandalf have chosen a poor, injured hobbit to guard that bag of gold and carry out such an important task?

None of it made sense. Surely, Gandalf could have come up with a better crew than this ragtag bag of adventurers and profiteers. They certainly didn't care the way she cared. For them it was some grand lark or madcap adventure that might turn up a hidden treasure chest.

But worst of all, had been the remark she'd overheard from Bird's mouth just a moment ago, when the woman complained that the poor lass Andreth might make some claim on the Castle and all that lay inside. Her blood boiled as she thought about it. In all her years, listening to her father's tales at his knee and grieving over the fate of those trapped inside, she'd never heard any in her family make such an outrageous claim.

Legally, there might be some truth in it. She really didn't know. But her father was not a man for legalities. He was a good man with a soft heart and great family pride. He had never spoken to Andreth of bricks and stones and mortar, but only of those who needed to pass on and strange curses which must be lifted lest they fall on those unsuspecting kin who still remained in the world of Men.

Perhaps she should just leave the group, pack up her belongings and go her separate way. But she was no expert at fighting or surviving in the wilderness. Lying dead on some forsaken trail was not going to accomplish what she wanted. She sighed and reluctantly agreed that, at least for now, she'd best stay with the others, until she figured out a better plan. And she'd better start talking to some of these folk to find out why they were really here and what they hoped to accomplish.

To that end, she turned a wary eye on Holly. Andreth watched and waited, saying nothing, until Bird sprang up and took flight. With the coast finally clear, Andreth turned once again to Holly and asked point blank, "I couldn't help overhearing your little talk. Why does your friend dislike me so? I've never made any claim to the Castle. In fact, as far as I can see, I'm practically the only one here who actually cares about what happens to the folk within those hard stone walls."

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-22-2002, 02:02 AM   #190
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf walked, smoked prodigiously, and mused ... apparently heedless of the web of conversations being woven around him. From time to time, anyone paying attention might have caught him muttering something like, "No, not torches. Wouldn't do. Candles, more like. Wonder if They might oblige? Lanterns. And sparklers, they could be handed round. If that fool of a horse spooks, so be it." or like, "Songs first, perhaps an instrumental can proceed our coming. Songs, then speech, once we've gotten their attention. The Bards first sing, then myself speak ... Have to introduce Poppy of course, can't just send her in unannounced, far too risky." and like, "Keeping far enough back, that will be of the utmost ... "

* ... until finally the wizard, unable to see a tree for the forest, veered his future-seeing steps smack dab into an elm just off the path. With a sheepish cry of "Ouch!" Gandalf rejoined the others living in the present, a few stray leaves adorning the top of his pointed hat and ground into his cloak, but altogether none the worse for wear. *

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-22-2002, 04:03 AM   #191
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

"I couldn't help overhearing your little talk. Why does your friend dislike me so? I've never made any claim to the Castle. In fact, as far as I can see, I'm practically the only one here who actually cares about what happens to the folk within those hard stone walls."

The question from the woman startled Holly. She had not heard her approach as she stood frowning after Bird who had flown off in an icy huff. She turned to regard the slight figure before her. So serious a manner! Her red hair flamed as it caught the sun, adding to the feeling of seething anger that lay just below the surface of her eyes. Why did the Big Folk seem to carry such large burdens of anger and dis-ease? It made her uncomfortable at times, when it spilled over on to her, and she avoided it as she could.

‘An interesting question, Mistress Andreth.’ she began, a smile playing about her lips. ‘Perhaps she ate a worm gone bad today and has indigestion.’ She broke into a full out laugh. ‘I’m sorry! You might as well ask why the wind blows one way or the other when it comes to Bird.’ She looked the woman up and down, taking her measure. ‘And what business would it be of ours to care about the fate of those people in the Castle. Or yours, for that matter. What good will it do you?’
Old 12-22-2002, 04:37 AM   #192
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Oh, I think I am ready now to mount up.’ Volondil replied to the other Ranger. He looked about him, his eyes lighting on a small, flat topped rocky outcropping near the edge of the camp. ‘Bring Mornen over here.’ he directed Alearindu, as he clambered up on the rocks. Alearindu spoke softly to the horse and bade him stand very near where Volondil stood, waiting for him. With a small gasp of pain, Volondil reached for Mornen’s mane and pulled himself over to the patient steed’s back.

His face pale, he managed a tight smile when Alearindu asked if he were alright. ‘I am.’ he said through clenched teeth, willing himself to relax. He managed a small laugh, saying, ‘You have just had the rare privilege of witnessing the most ungraceful mount of my life!’ He took some deep breaths, stretching the muscles he had tightened against the pain. ‘Let’s hope this is the worst of the ride.’ he murmured to himself.

They started down the road, following a short distance after the Hobbits. He had watched as Bird and Holly carried on a conversation, and seen Holly’s exasperated smile as she watched Bird fly off. ‘Now there is an interesting pair of friends.’ he thought to himself. ‘They give each other a lot of room, but I’d hate to be the one who threatened one of them.’

He shaded his eyes and looked up into the bright sky, searching for Bird. ‘It would be pleasing to have a friendship like that.’ he mused. ‘One that even when you were apart, sustained your spirit.’

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-22-2002, 01:53 PM   #193
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu nodded at Volondil, and walked Mornen over to where he stood. Alearindu stiffled a small laugh as she watched Volondil mount Mornen. 'Are you alright, Volondil?' She asked, grinning.

‘I am.’ he said through clenched teeth, willing himself to relax. He managed a small laugh, saying, ‘You have just had the rare privilege of witnessing the most ungraceful mount of my life!’

Alearindu laughed. 'Maybe, Volondil, but I have seen worse.' She chuckled again, and left the smile on her face. She then clucked to Mornen, and they started walking down the path towards the Castle Maladil.

She watched as Volondil shaded his eyes and looked up at Bird. ‘It would be pleasing to have a friendship like that.’ he mused. ‘One that even when you were apart, sustained your spirit.’ Alearindu nodded and then began to watch the path, careful to look for anything she may have missed, or something that may make the road unpleasant for Volondil.

After a while, Alearindu didn't pay as much attention to the road, and tried for a conversation again. 'So, Volondil,' She looked up at the Ranger, but stood close to Mornen's side, for even Alearindu had a growing fear as they got ever closer to the castle. She kept one hand on Mornen's bridle, and the other on the hilt of her sword. 'Where have you been as a Ranger?' She winced a little and then also asked in a whisper, 'Do you have that same fear about the castle? Every step I take towards it, I seem to dread it more. I'm not saying I won't go in, because I will, it's just..I wish I wasn't so nervous about doing so...'
Old 12-22-2002, 01:53 PM   #194
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hinura approached Menelduliniel and Estelarion. "Excuse me," she said. "I couldn't help hearing you earlier speaking about a song called Nallal. I was wondering- could you show me how it goes? I learn most of my songs on the road, and it sounds lovely." If Gandalf wanted them to play to herald their approach, this would probably be the best time to share ideas and melodies before they reached their destination.

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: tangerine ]
Old 12-22-2002, 02:08 PM   #195
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

‘And what business would it be of ours to care about the fate of those people in the Castle. Or yours, for that matter. What good will it do you?’

At first Andreth didn't respond to Holly. Why should she trust the hobbit or her friend enough to give an honest answer? Maybe, it would be safer just to shrug off the questions, since she scarcely knew these folk.

Yet then, why did she feel as if she'd come to a fork in the road, with one path leading in one direction, and the other going off someplace different. And that her choice of which way to go had importance not only for herself, but to the company as a whole.

Andreth thought it might come down to the basic question of trust. She'd seen so little of that within this band since they'd left the Inn. They'd been badly divided, spending more time complaining than learning how to work together. The Elf’s hidden anger had spilled over everyone, and set the whole camp to bickering.

Now that she thought about it, she wasn't much better than the rest. For all her high sounding talk, she'd kept to herself and eyed the others with suspicion, silently berating them for not caring enough about the people inside the Castle. But how could they care as much as she did, when they'd never seen as she had seen, night after night?

She was certain of one thing. Shooting an arrow or unsheathing a knife would not, by itself, bring them victoy. Unless their band stood together, backing each other as friends, they would never survive the doom of the Castle and those inside would remain imprisoned.

Yet, it was one thing to make a speech about folk putting aside differences. It was quite another to try and do it yourself. Yet if someone didn't start trusting someone, this adventure would end in disaster.

She quickly came to three decisions. Gandalf had chosen Poppy for a special task. She'd trust that choice and offer the hobbit any help she could. She'd keep chiselling away at Nardol who often seemed more like a block of ice than a real person. Somewhere, underneath all that, there must be more going on than what he showed to the world.

Finally, she would try to gain the confidence of Holly and Bird. She had no idea why they'd come on this journey, but at least they understood what it meant to be a good friend. Not that any of this was going to be easy! She'd never known anyone like Bird who could simply turn around and fly away if they didn't like what you were saying.

Andreth leaned cautiously over to Holly and pulled her close so no one could overhear, "You are a hobbit, so you should understand this. Adella, the mother in the Castle, long deceased, is kin to me. The descent came through her older brother. My father is the only living heir of the family, since there were no surviving Elven lines on the other side, at least not in Middle-earth."

"I've lived with that knowledge since I was a child. I've heard many sad tales about the Castle, and sometimes at night Adela's children visit us in dreams. It is not a pleasant sight."

Andreth hestiated for a moment, struggling to find the words to tell her story. "So you see it does have special meaning, and, if I was impatient, I'm sorry. But it's hard for me to be calm about this. Our tale is well known in Bree among our nosey neighbors. We've heard no end of jibes and taunts about the family who has ghost relations and who carries a curse upon their head."

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-22-2002, 03:46 PM   #196
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Volondil considered the Ranger's question, matching her words against what he felt. 'It would be foolish not to fear what lies before us, would it not? The shadow in the east stretches long over Middle-earth now. Its long fingers stretching even farther westward. It would be enough to be cautious about the ill will of those which haunt the castle, but I fear that darker fingers are grasping at the heart of of it.'

His right hand closed in a familiar and comforting manner about the grip of his blade, and he turned his face to gaze full upon her. His grey eyes darkened and glinted as he spoke further. 'Still, we are Rangers, sworn to the service of the Light. Fear or no, we will step up as we are needed.'

Old 12-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #197
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly reached out and touched the woman on her arm. Andreth’s eyes looked toward her, and were filled with pain. Along her lashes was the glint of threatened tears and the Hobbit squeezed her arm gently, offering her the handkerchief from her vest pocket. She stepped back as Andreth wiped her face, allowing her time to regain her composure. Taking the returned hanky, she stuffed it back into a pocket in her breeches, and came close to the woman again.

‘I do understand the ties and pulls of family, Andreth.’ she said softly to her. And those of friends, also . . . she thought, looking up to find Bird. Holly shook her head and looked down at the ground. ‘You are so lucky still to have yours about you.’

She raised her head and regarded the woman, trying to see her with different eyes. Perhaps she could drop the defenses she had come by on the road, and let her in . . . a little.

‘But still, you are only one small woman to face all the grief and malice which holds the Castle in thrall . . . what do you think you can do?’

Old 12-23-2002, 12:18 AM   #198
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth looked over at the hobbit and shrugged her shoulders, "Probably nothing, but none of us will know that till we try."

She was careful to add the word 'probably.' The truth was she didn't know. She'd heard so many wild tales from her father. There was no way to be sure what would happen until they actually reached the Castle,....if she managed to survive that long.

Andreth quietly beckoned Holly over to the side of the road where she halted for a minute, sliding her hand under her belt and drawing forth a tattered volume that looked as if it had seen much wear. The girl glanced cautiously from side to side to make certain no one else was looking. Then she fingered the small book gingerly, sliding her hand over the rough leather binding and carefully opening the cover.

"But I do have something to help us, all of us. This tome has passed down in my family from one generation to the next." Andreth slowly turned a few of the brittle sheets, being careful not to rip them. "You can see how old it is. Some leaves are faded and others missing, but they do seem to give a lot of description about the Castle and many of its rooms."

"I think once there must have been a map folded here as well, but that's now missing." She pointed towards a jagged edge where it looked as if something had been wrenched out of the volume. "I would give a great deal to look upon that map, for I think it could be matched up with the descriptions in the book."

"And look here....it's almost as if someone had tipped in a document or deed, then hastily removed it. I've often wondered what that was, or why it was taken out."

Holly poked her nose deep inside the binding. "But what language is this? I can't even read it."

Andreth laughed and admitted, "Neither can I. My father says it's the language of the Elves, the one that's very old. Not Sindarin, but High-Elven, what they call the Ancient Tongue."

"I suppose Gandalf could read it," Holly interjected, "or that other Elf, the sour one called Nardol, or perhaps Bethberry."

Andreth nodded in agreement, then deftly tucked it back under her belt. "For now, I'll keep it safe here. When we approach the keep, perhaps I'll give it to one of them and see if they can untangle the meaning."

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-23-2002, 11:35 AM   #199
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu listened to his words, and watched as Volondil also moved his hand to his sword's hilt. He then turned to look at her, and his eyes grew darker and glinted, then he spoke again;'Still, we are Rangers, sworn to the service of the Light. Fear or no, we will step up as we are needed.'

Alearindu nodded. 'Yes, I know. But sometimes there seems to be more than just the fear of the castle to me, something... else. Perhaps just an unconscious caution.' She scowled a little and gripped Mornen's bridle tighter. 'I do not fear pain nor death for myself, but for others, I cannot stand it.'

She then dropped her head a little and looked ahead. The castle drew nearer. Alearindu tried to change the mood;
'Volondil, once we get to the castle, where do you plan to go?' Alearindu laughed. 'I'm not quite sure if we are going to bring the horses into the castle, and you seem to have a bit of trouble walking.' She looked back up at him and awaited an answer, while thinking of an answer to the question for herself, as well.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:00 PM   #200
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘I wonder,’ thought Holly as she handed the book back to Andreth, ‘if that missing map looks anything like the one I have.’ Her hand strayed to the pocket of her vest as she watched the woman tuck the old book carefully back in her waistband. A practical creature, the Hobbit thought it best to form a closer tie with her before she shared her map. Perhaps Andreth’s purposes and her’s could complement each other, though the woman seemed more bent on securing the release of the castle’s ghosts than on looking for other treasures. ‘Still,’ she reasoned, ‘she may have the descriptions of the rooms if we can unlock them and I have a map of unproven worth – if we help each other out, there is the possibility of accomplishing both our goals.’

Holly rubbed her chin in thought as they walked back to where Poppy waited on Whinny. ‘Andreth, if you don’t mind, Olo and I will walk with you and Poppy. She reached out and scratched the pony between the ears, offering a small piece of dried apple. Whinny reached out gently with his teeth and accepted the proffered treat. Soon gone, he nudged the Hobbit on her shoulder for another piece.

‘Enough for now!’ she chided him. ‘You and Peri are quite alike, Master Whinny! But the larder is empty for now.’ She opened her pocket to the pony’s inquisitive nose, and was rewarded with a huff of disgust in finding it was indeed bare.

Andreth laughed at Whinny, and took him by the reins to continue down the road with the rest of the company. Holly spoke quickly to her. ‘Let me go get Olo and Peri and bring them back to walk with us. They seem to have dropped behind a bit. You and Poppy go on ahead; we’ll join you soon.’ She walked off hurriedly to retrieve them.