The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #521
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So I'm Lanthanum?

Quote:
The metal reacts directly with elemental carbon, nitrogen, boron, selenium, silicon, phosphorus, sulphur, and with halogens. It is a component of, misch metal (used for making lighter flints).
Lanthanum and Dysprosium are apparently both radioactive and often found in combination, being difficult to split apart. I like the sound of that - it's potentially evil as you say.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #522
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Thank you, thank you, but alas, I'm not the only one who deserves such accolades. Shelob helped me a great deal in the deciding of the names and would have helped even more but she was stabbed by a small hobbit with a bright sword.* So thank you Shelob!

*Shelob broke down and was sent to Best Buy. She has now returned and is still broken.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #523
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I think I have to add this:

"Whenever you see someone shocked or disgusted, you ask them if they have just seen Gandalf the Grey Uncloaked!"
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #524
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
You are obsessed when you print off and hang Abercrombie's periodic table on the wall of your dorm room at college ad when you surf the downs instead of studying for finals.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #525
Captain Grishnahk
Wight

Captain Grishnahk has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

You know your obbsessed when you can right fluently in the Runes of Daeron {the angerthas} (which i can do)

--J.R.R. Tolkien
Captain Grishnahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #526
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticstorm
You are obsessed when you print off and hang Abercrombie's periodic table on the wall of your dorm room at college ad when you surf the downs instead of studying for finals.
Not only does it show that you are obsessed, but it gives me a reason for comming over there and beat you with a wet newspaper.

Start Studying ! ! !

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:22 AM   #527
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Balance the folowing equations:
1. Celegorm2Hilde Bracegirdle6 + Oddwen2 --> Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen + CelegormOddwen2
2. THE KaOddwenHilde Bracegirdle + Hilde Bracegirdle3PiosennielOddwen4 + Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen
Should I admit how tempted I am to actually balance these?

That was eerily wonderful, Abercrombie.

Hmm...let's see...

1. 2 Celegorm2Hilde Bracegirdle6 + 7 Oddwen2 --> 6 Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen + 4 CelegormOddwen2

2. THE KaOddwenHilde Bracegirdle + Hilde Bracegirdle3PiosennielOddwen4 + Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen --> I'll get back to this.

Oops...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:25 AM   #528
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am silver. How unbelievably classy. Shame I'm generally unreactive, but the shininess is compensation...
Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #529
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
1. Celegorm2Hilde Bracegirdle6 + Oddwen2 --> Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen + CelegormOddwen2
2. THE KaOddwenHilde Bracegirdle + Hilde Bracegirdle3PiosennielOddwen4 + Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen
Took these straight from my Chem homework. It was mostly just a ploy to get people to do my work for me. Now if only you had been week earlier...
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM   #530
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hmmm...my place in Abercrombie's wonderful table means I have the highest specific heat of any solid element. I believe I am often used in batteries and in treating depression...
Old 12-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #531
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Apparently, I don't melt until 1283.15 K and don't boil until 3400.15 K - no wonder I'm so cold and unemotional!

I seem to be a bit dense, too . . .
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #532
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sweet, I'm Tellurium.

Not surprisingly, the phantom is Helium, validating all those "hot air" comments.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #533
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm Magnesium which is the power mineral and the fourth most common mineral in the body. Also it's a very strong metal.

Thanks Abercrombie.

And I think that looking at this thread shows that I am addicted to it.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #534
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Not surprisingly, the phantom is Helium, validating all those "hot air" comments.
Actually, I chose Helium for Phantom because the symbol abbreviation for it is "He." Of, course, "He" does tend towards some religious connotations (i.e. "He" refers to God.) Which leaves me with a terrifying conclusion to Fordim's question.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #535
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

And I, as molybdenum, apparently have one of the highest melting points in nature and am often used to make various types of steel alloys.

Quite an interesting idea.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #536
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The posts concerning the elements listed on the periodic table have sparked my curiosity. I had no idea what "Es" is (as far as chemistry goes, that is - I'm familiar with Freud's usage of the German word as a psychological definition - an interesting connection, actually!), so I googled it and found some fascinating information.
Quote:
Einsteinium is radioactive rare earth metal named after Albert Einstein. It is of no commercial importance and only a few of its compounds are known.
Hmmm, no commercial importance, only few compounds known - that has an uncanny relativity to me! Flattering to be named after a genius, of course - and that in a year dedicated to his memory. It was identified in debris from the first large thermonuclear explosion - now what could that say about me? Actually, there is something interesting in there.

Melting point, boiling point, density and color unknown - hmmm... (The latter is probably metallic and silvery white or grey.) Classification: Metallic.

Thanks for an interesting excursion into an area I do not normally enter voluntarily, Abercrombie! When I have time, I'll explore the other elements and their connections to the Barrowdowners you chose to be represented by them.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #537
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
When I have time, I'll explore the other elements and their connections to the Barrowdowners you chose to be represented by them.
Don't strain yourself too hard my dearie. I simply chose BDer's for their element because the symbol abbreviation was similar to their name. Mg for Mormegil; Fm for Formendacil. So, if you can actually find any similarities between the element and the BDer, (all the more points to you) but it's purely coincidental.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #538
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
I simply chose BDer's for their element because the symbol abbreviation was similar to their name.
Glad to hear it, given that the only thing I know about Sulphur is that it's used to make stink-bombs ...
Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #539
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Oh, I forgot to mention that Sauce is the special exception to that rule...
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 AM   #540
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
Took these straight from my Chem homework. It was mostly just a ploy to get people to do my work for me. Now if only you had been week earlier...
Aww...too bad. Sorry I had to see it so late.

That gives me an idea what to do the next time I'll have a Calculus or Chemistry homework... *where's that evil smilie?*

I see I'm the last of the Actinide series. Geesh, I don't want to be a transition metal. They're all either very much confusing with all their oxidation states, hopelessly unreactive, or prone to spontaneous decay.

But does that mean some BDers can undergo decay and transform into some other BDer?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #541
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerandir Carnesir
I've got another: You check Barrow-Downs before you go to church, and when you go to church, you bring your Tolkien books instead of your Bible.(This may not apply to everyone)
I tried that once, and found myself singing one of Merry and Pippin's old songs instead of a hymn!

You find yourself constantly refreshing the page, only seconds after you've posted, in the hopes that someone's responded already.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #542
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmawen
You find yourself constantly refreshing the page, only seconds after you've posted, in the hopes that someone's responded already.
That is definatly me.
________
PENNY STOCKS TO BUY

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 PM   #543
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You know you're obsessed when you...you think how a hobbit lass would never shave her feet.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #544
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I am silver. How unbelievably classy. Shame I'm generally unreactive, but the shininess is compensation...
Lol, perfect, dear sir, perfect

I am Americium, apparently, named, unsurprisingly, after America. Hmm...*waves St George's cross and whistles the National Anthem patriotically and maybe a little pointedly* How did you decide on who was who? Brilliant idea, Abercrombie, absolutely fantastic!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #545
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you look at the stars and think of their elvish names? One day I know I will refer to the Plough as the Sickle of the Valar.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #546
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ooh I have (rather late) discovered the periodic table. I don't think I will try again to set up an avatar because Meitneriun is somewhat elusive in appearance

meitnerium.

Standard state: presumably a solid at 298 K
Colour: unknown, but probably metallic and silvery white or grey in appearance
Classification: Metallic
Availability:

Element 109, meitnerium, is a synthetic element that is not present in the environment at all.

Isolation

Only a few atoms of element 109, meitnerium, have ever been made. The first atoms were made through a nuclear reaction involving fusion of an isotope of bismuth, 209Bi, with one of iron, 58Fe.

209Bi + 58Fe 266Mt + 1n

Isolation of an observable quantity of meitnerium has never been achieved, and may well never be. This is because meitnerium decays very rapidly through the emission of a-particles.

Very appropriate....grey, dilapidated ... I dispute the synthetic ......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #547
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

You click on the "Who Posted?" link of almost every active thread to see who posted the most and how you rank in posting. This proves most interesting when done with Werewolf threads to see who's the most talkative.

My most "memorable" discoveries:

1. Fea is the most frequent poster in both Shire- and Mordor-assignment threads. I find the fact a bit contradictory.

2. In all Werewolf games I have ever played, mormegil is ALWAYS one of the most talkative. Quite unsurprisingly, he also has the greatest number of posts in the original thread.

3. Gil-Galad posted the most in Know Yer Mates.

4. Hookbill has the most Crazy Captions posts...but you already know that. Okay then, let's try Fortunately/Unfortunately.

5. Same person above has the most number of BD predictions. Tight race for second place between Lhuna and tgwbs.

6. tgwbs finds the most amusement in typos or Freudian slips, whichever they are.

7. Oddwen, Menel, and Nilp are the top three contributors to the New Movie Script. No surprise there.

Okay, I'll stop now.

EDIT: I have to thank tgwbs for letting us (in Werewolf VII? VI?) know about this. The link and what it does, I mean.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-03-2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: This is the last time I'm clicking on this button.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #548
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony
5. Same person above has the most number of BD predictions. Tight race for second place between Lhuna and tgwbs
Tight race indeed!

In French, in a sentence to do with hobbies, I translated "lecture de BDs" as "reading the Barrow Downs." Apparently, it means comics, though there are comics on the Downs, so in a sense I was perfectly correct.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #549
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Due to moving caves, and having my new dungeon renovated, I have been off-line since August. Days pass into weeks,and weeks into months. A horrid thing called work took over my miserable existance. Then I got the call, my abode was ready. The first box out of storage was the one that read computer. I plugged it in, set it up the Internet and I nearly experienced joy (to near for a Narfforc). The first site I visited was The I Hate Tree-Hugging Elves Society, to see if there had been another member apart from me joined in my absence. Then it was straight here, before going on to The Hobbit Cooking Society ( Only to see if there was any new ways to cook em mind)

P.S I do love this site (But don't tell anyone)
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:54 AM   #550
Moksha

You know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when, for the first time in about a year, you have nothing to do on a Friday night and decide to log back on.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:02 AM   #551
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think waking up voluntarily half an hour (or more) before you normally would (in a school/work morning) just to visit the Downs.

Or when you don't have anything else to do, you try to remember as many Downers' names as you can.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:10 AM   #552
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I think waking up voluntarily half an hour (or more) before you normally would (in a school/work morning) just to visit the Downs.
I do that EVERY DAY
Old 01-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #553
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
I do that EVERY DAY
You're mad, I say. I'm such a late-sleeper, that I couldn't.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #554
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Or maybe if there's a course you should get a good grade for in order to improve your final grade of the subject, and you even like the subject, but you still hang in the 'Downs and don't concentrate.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #555
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
You know you in deep, when you are looking to buy a new computer and are being sensible about it, but when you see that one with a black case and green glowing lights, you feel like you met a long lost relative, and sense goes by the wayside. (I wonder if they make gilt CD-DVD drives as well?)
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #556
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
You click on the "Who Posted?" link of almost every active thread to see who posted the most and how you rank in posting. This proves most interesting when done with Werewolf threads to see who's the most talkative.

My most "memorable" discoveries:

1. Fea is the most frequent poster in both Shire- and Mordor-assignment threads. I find the fact a bit contradictory.

2. In all Werewolf games I have ever played, mormegil is ALWAYS one of the most talkative. Quite unsurprisingly, he also has the greatest number of posts in the original thread.

3. Gil-Galad posted the most in Know Yer Mates.

4. Hookbill has the most Crazy Captions posts...but you already know that. Okay then, let's try Fortunately/Unfortunately.

5. Same person above has the most number of BD predictions. Tight race for second place between Lhuna and tgwbs.

6. tgwbs finds the most amusement in typos or Freudian slips, whichever they are.

7. Oddwen, Menel, and Nilp are the top three contributors to the New Movie Script. No surprise there.

Okay, I'll stop now.

EDIT: I have to thank tgwbs for letting us (in Werewolf VII? VI?) know about this. The link and what it does, I mean.
Lhuna, how do you do this? I've been racking my brains...
Old 01-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #557
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Lhuna, how do you do this? I've been racking my brains...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
You click on the "Who Posted?" link of almost every active thread to see who posted the most and how you rank in posting.
'Tis a link upon thy right, good sirrah.

On the right hand side of a forum, there's a "Replies" column. For each thread, there is a number. Clicking on this presents a breakdown of who's posted most.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #558
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Thanks a lot. This opens up a...world of discovery...
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #559
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Thanks a lot. This opens up a...world of discovery...
I've (with tgwbs this time) created another monster!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #560
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

When you can't be bothered posting for yourself, you spend hours flicking between 'Who’s online' and 'User CP' just in case someone posts on a thread you're involved with.