The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Yeade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yeade Send a message via Skype™ to Yeade
White Tree God, I'm not cut out to be a genealogist...

Hi all,

The newest member of the Barrow-Downs humbly sends greetings. I look forward to many lively discussions in the company of friends here, and I hope I will acquit myself well for as long as I'm part of this community.

As my welcome present, I offer a project I've been working on in my spare time. I often find myself at a loss when it comes to LOTR genealogy, and while the Hobbit family trees in the ROTK appendices are a great help, I don't have easy access to the like for the other characters. I didn't know of any such resources online so I decided to draw up my own genealogies, mainly for personal use, though hopefully others will find these helpful.

Thus far, the only one I have in presentable form is Aragorn's line. I would appreciate any suggestions, corrections or additions. If it's not too much trouble.

I'd taken pains to get the entire line in one chart, only to find I couldn't upload files larger than 5 MB to Geocities. The chart is now split into two parts, which can be accessed at the below link:

http://www.geocities.com/zincpiccalilli/index.html (ETA: dead link)

Both files are, well, rather large, so please be patient. Also, the bandwidth might be exceeded while downloading. I don't have the technical skills to do any better. Any ideas here would be welcome.

Now, a few notes:

Probably the nicest thing about the whole tedious business is that I could color code the chart. I've always had a hard time differentiating between men and women when the names get exotic, so I took the liberty of doing so by color. I've also numbered six lines of noble succession with separate colors (okay, okay, the Lords of Andúnië are only two), as well as made notes of racial divisions.

Speaking of exotic names, I had a helluva time with the Númenórean royals and the Kings of Gondor. Don't hesitate to point out any inaccuracies. The same goes for all the names and information, really.

Dotted lines are used to represent separation by one or more generations (except in the special case of Melian). Any numbers on the lines count the generations between those connected. So, for example, since Vëantur is the grandfather of Almarian, but no father or mother is known to me, there's a dotted line with a one centered on it.

On the topic of organization, I'm afraid I couldn't stick to placing siblings in age from eldest to youngest, left to right. I also couldn't manage to consistently place the married couples. In the interest of saving space and avoiding long connections, I've probably made many awkward mistakes. I don't really know the rules of drawing family trees, but I'm sure I've broken a few. Please forgive.

A few questions:

Is there anything else on the Lords of Andúnië? I thought Eärendur was about during the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr, but things don't quite work out that way when counting generations. I feel like I'm missing something.

I tried to label the various groupings of Elves, but only got as far as Vanyar, Noldor, and Sindar. As I understand it, the Sindar are a subgroup of the Teleri, which also include the Falmari, Nandor, and Silvan Elves. Olwë is, I think, the only one who counts as Falmari. I have no clue whether there are any Elves on the chart who belong to the other two groups. The Lórien Elves are Silvan, like those in Mirkwood, but neither Celeborn nor Galadriel are of the same descent. Frankly, I'm confused.

Those are the only two clear questions I can come up with right now. Besides that, I generally feel a bit inadequate. There are a lot of holes in this genealogy, and I don't have the knowledge to determine whether these result from my ignorance or there wasn't anything to be ignorant of.

Um, okay. Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Cheers,
Yeade

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Yeade is offline   Reply With Quote