The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2003, 04:37 PM   #81
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But they should already have known that Sauron is looking at them; they whole reason they staged the battle was to get him to look at them & not Frodo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Exactly. Maybe I should explain. I don't think Aragorn looks into the palantir until Minas Tirith. I don't think they'll play up the whole distracting the Eye from Frodo until after Pelennor Fields. After the battle Aragorn challenges Sauron through the palantir and then assembles the Host of the West to march to the black gates. It more directly connects cause and effect for the film audience. So, when Legolas says his "he is here" line, I think this is after Aragorn has looked into the palantir and they are waiting to see if Sauron takes the bait.<P>This brings me to ...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The only conceivable explanation, to my mind, is that he [Aragorn] is talking about fighting to buy Frodo time [in his speech in the trailer]. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That, in my mind, is exactly what he is doing. I think PJ is really going to hammer this point. He wants everyone to get it.<P>H.C.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:03 PM   #82
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So, when Legolas says his "he is here" line, I think this is after Aragorn has looked into the palantir and they are waiting to see if Sauron takes the bait.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I suppose it could work either way. One can only wait...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:53 PM   #83
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hello All, especially to my good friend Kharank. <P>I've only just found this topic so im probably repeating what everyone said, but my favourite bits were with Elrond, when he's giving Aragorn Narsil, etc. And, of course Gandalf with his big ol' staff. But Shelob wasn't how I imagined her: she wasn't too small, but I imagine her much fatter, with thinner, more spindly legs. and much less hair. Although i'm sure everyone sees her differently.<P>Well, i'm off to watch it again. and again. and maybe another time.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #84
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion the trailer was absolutely fantastic I cannot wait to see ROTK in theatres on my Christmas vacation. I think it will be the best movie of the trilogy.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:24 PM   #85
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah a great visual part is when gandalf is chargin the orcs and nazgul(or as my friend calls them, the dragons) and his staff lights up. brilliant!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:38 AM   #86
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

favourite bits:<P>the look on gollum's face as Frodo is climbing up towards him. It's like the look<BR>a dog may give you when you are eating a juicy steak and he wants it!<P>gollum's sneaky smile. <P>eowyn removing her helmet (obviously to the witch king)<P>But of course the best bit, that blows me away every time I see it is Sam screaming<BR>"Noooo!". Marvellous.<P>least favourite bits:<P>"what does your heart tell you?" - not taken from tolkien's text and, to be honest,<BR>this makes me cringe.<P>all this stuff about elrond and arwen is, to be honest, a little boring. Why is Elrond<BR>so high and mighty about his daughter marrying a mortal when he is half human himself?<P><BR>ps I think Legolas is talking about the king of the dead
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:07 AM   #87
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

'Cause he watched his brother die?<P>It's a bit of a change from the book but honestly, I don't see a problem with a father being a tad upset that he's going to be seperated from his daughter for ever.<P>In the book he tells Aragorn that Arwen can marry no one less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor. To me this seems colder.<P>H.C.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #88
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> what does your heart tell you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually that, or more particularly Gandalf's tender expression in response, is one of the high spots for me.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> not taken from tolkien's text <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If that puts you off a scene, there can't be much in these films that you like. <P>As for Elrond, I like the look of the scenes in RotK involving him. While I take HC's point about him (quite understandably) not wanting to be separated from his daughter, I thought that he was nevertheless portrayed as unnecessarily grouchy in TTT: selfish and overbearing with Arwen and only grudgingly offering assistance to the cause (and to Aragorn's cause). It looks to me like he will be somewhat redeemed in RotK (in his actions if not in his sulky expression ).<P>And surely we can't begrudge Arwen a few scenes in this film at least, given that her marriage will be one of the final big scenes. Just be thankful that it seems to be pretty clear now that she won't be accompanying Aragorn on the Paths of the Dead or turning up at the Pelennor or the Black Gate.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:09 PM   #89
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Saucepan Man, tis a relief indeed...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> nazgul(or as my friend calls them, the dragons)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No, they are flying dinosaurs!!!!!<P>And Essex, that is a very probable theory with Legolas you have there!
Old 10-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #90
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought that he was nevertheless portrayed as unnecessarily grouchy in TTT: selfish and overbearing with Arwen and only grudgingly offering assistance to the cause (and to Aragorn's cause). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I do agree with this.<P>H.C.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #91
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I know some people have been complaining about the Shelob. This is a very clear image of her from the trailer.<P><A HREF="http://film.msn.dk/pub/images/docs/intertain/film/reviews/lotr3-trailer-6-360.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Trailer Shelob</A><P>If this doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will.<P>H.C.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:34 PM   #92
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

*runs off and hides quaking under her Legolas poster*<P><BR>I'm going to be shaking right there in my seat when Shelob comes on screen. As it is, I'm getting goosebumps!!!! <P><BR>As for the whole Legolas-"he-is-here" issue, here is my two cents' worth. I think that Legolas could be talking about Sauron, right when Pippin is looking into the Palantir. Thanks to Legolas's alertness (word?), Aragorn dashes off to the young Hobbit's side just in time to save him from Sauron's mental clutches, and in the process, wrenches the palantir under his own control. It's certainly dramatic enough!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:40 PM   #93
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, I'd say that spider is plenty big enough. (Though it does look bigger in that picture then the quick glimpse of it in the trailer.) <P>Lucky hobbits don't wear shoes, otherwise Frodo's would be full of pee about now.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:57 AM   #94
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, Ok...everything I complained concerning Shelob I take back now....<BR>That thing is absolutely putrid...I swear I am going to throw up...*backs away into a corner, turns around and vomits*.<BR>I think we need a vomiting smiley on this forum...
Old 10-08-2003, 06:37 AM   #95
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Ah yes, she certainly looks scary enough in that picture. <P>And, much to my great relief, suitably spider-like too. There had been rumours that she would have a humanoid head, but this image puts paid to those (the blurry freeze-frames I had seen before were indistinct). Glad to see the fangs, rather than a mouth – <I>two</I> sets of fangs, in fact, by the look of it. But, are those supposed to be her eyes on the front of her head, or are they just the top of her fangs? If they are eyes, they make her look rather boss-eyed. And I would expect them to be further up on top of her head, and more of them.<P>No horns though, by the looks of it. So perhaps Jackson is going for spider "realism" at the expense of Book accuracy. Oh well, can't say I mind too much.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that Legolas could be talking about Sauron, right when Pippin is looking into the Palantir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, Finwe. The same thought had occured to me. As I said ealrier in the thread:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Perhaps he says this at the same time as Pippin is looking into the Palantir, and it's a reaction to Sauron's "presence" in the Palantir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It makes sense because the scene does look to take place at Edoras. He could be talking about the King of the Dead, but the mountains in the background suggest that this is not the Paths of the Dead and, in light of the other sequence of Legolas talking about the eye moving, I would guess that Legolas is talking about Sauron here too.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:09 AM   #96
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saucepan, your point<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If that puts you off a scene, there can't be much in these films that you like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, there's a lot a like, even with the amazing amount of changes, mainly small, that Jackson has done. It's incredible how good the films are, especially after repeat viewings.<P>My only bone of contention are the scriptwriters not using enough of the text as they can. Over the past two years I've been writing a document explaining where the script and the books tie up word for word. I realise, seeing as there is no narrator, some things are impossible to show. (One of the first grating ones was not showing the length of time between Bilbo going away and Frodo leaving. That would have added to the emotion of Frodo meeting up with Bilbo again. But how to show 17 years have passed in the hobbits' looks (except Bilbo) would have been hard).<P>I've pretty much finished the doc for the FOTR comparisons between book and script, but I'm not that web inclined so have 'no where' to put it (don't have a web page and use my work's internet connection!!) any ideas where I could put it on the WWW?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:37 AM   #97
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> (One of the first grating ones was not showing the length of time between Bilbo going away and Frodo leaving. That would have added to the emotion of Frodo meeting up with Bilbo again. But how to show 17 years have passed in the hobbits' looks (except Bilbo) would have been hard).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The Bakshi film showed 17 quick flashes between a Shire scene, alternating between summer and winter. That was annoying. They should have but a warning for people with epilepsy before doing that.<P>H.C.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #98
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

It would have been risky to make an early judgment on Shelob anyway, since she was half covered in shadows. Your link was nice though HC, I at first wasn't sure she was big enough, but she looks pretty big now (maybe pretty shouldn't be used in a sentence about Shelob? )!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:20 PM   #99
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the trailer was absolutely beautiful!!! I've watched it 12 times now. My new motto is:<BR><I>There can be no triumph<BR>without loss<BR>No victory<BR>without suffering<BR>No freedom<BR>without sacrifice</I><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought that he was nevertheless portrayed as unnecessarily grouchy in TTT: selfish and overbearing with Arwen and only grudgingly offering assistance to the cause (and to Aragorn's cause). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with what was said about Elrond. He was WAY less unsupportive of Arwen and Aragorn in the book. Hopefully he'll be a whole lot better in RotK like you say. <P>[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]<p>[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]
Old 10-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #100
Dwalin
Pile O'Bones

Dwalin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought the trailer was absolutely beautiful!!! I've watched it 12 times now. My new motto is:<BR>There can be no triumph<BR>without loss<BR>No victory<BR>without suffering<BR>No freedom<BR>without sacrifice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You like those lines too! When I saw them, I wrote 'em down and adopted them as my new catchphrase.<P>I thought the trailer was great. I only have one gripe. The music seemed a bit...anticlimactic. I don't know, I think it should have grown a bit louder toward the end. Other than that, the trailer was great; I can't wait for Dec 17th.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:49 PM   #101
kharank
Animated Skeleton

kharank has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone!<P>Sorry, very selfishly posting to get my forum into the 100 mark, and also to give a warning - anyone who has watched the cinema-release version of Fellowship and then the Extended will realise that the same lines will sometimes be recorded by several different actors, and PJ will arrange them according to his whims. Its therefore not entirely fruitful to guess whose speaking the great speech in the trailer, as it may change for the film! ALthough i still think its Aragorn...<P>By the way, great to see you Tom Bombariffic!
Old 10-12-2003, 02:16 AM   #102
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought... "WOw, not only is Arwen a horse stealer (The Glorfindel episode) but she's a blacksmith too!" then i laughed. I loved the trailer! I couldnt even care now if it isnt exactly like the books!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 02:38 PM   #103
deedlit

Sting

Alwsome trailer <P>Best part.. Gandalf riding into battle with a glowing staff! woot<P>Elrond .. nice lines..<P><BR>Except this phrase.. by Aragorn<BR>'What does your heart tell you?'<P>WHY?<P>sounds exactly like something I heard from StarWars Ep1 when Anakin ask the mother..'will i see you again?'
Old 10-15-2003, 09:41 AM   #104
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I finally saw it during the previews for "Kill Bill Vol. 1" two nights ago in the theater. I was glued to the screen and had physical goose bumps and watery eyes - this movie looks to be very, very good. I truly hope hope PJ pulls it all together and gives us a nice grand finale.<P>If you haven't seen the trailer on the BIG screen yet, you should.<P>Cheers,<BR>TP
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #105
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If you haven't seen the trailer on the BIG screen yet, you should.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Unfortunatly there are no movies worth paying $5 for that future an RotK preview playing in any of my 3 theatres at the moment .<P> Drinks all around,<BR> Estel<p>[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 10-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #106
ladyhwi
Newly Deceased

ladyhwi has just left Hobbiton.
I must admit I have not read every post, being sleepy now. My offering on the Legolas shot' "The eye is moving and He's here" couldn't that be after the first battle on Pelennor fields when close to the black gate they were met by The Mouth of Sauron? Aragorn's purpose in leading an army there was to lead The Eye away from Orodruin and call out the rest of the host of mordor was it not? <BR>I was thinking also that... <BR><I>HCISLAND is it? </I> that Aragorn when in his speech metioned fellowship, maybe he meant the long standing pledge of arms and fellowship between the Eorlingas and Gondor
"I have not seen thy sunny face, Nor heard thy silver laughter: No thought of me shall find a place In thy young life's hereafter- Enough that now thou will not fail To listen to my fairy-tale." Lewis Carroll
ladyhwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:43 PM   #107
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Shelob is definately big enough!!!! *looks over shoulder a couple of times* <BR>If Shelob is that scary, just imagine how HORRIFYING Ungoliant must have been!!! *shivers* I've watched it 38 times all the way through; and the Aragorn speech, Shelob scene, and ending scenes 13 times more! But after seeing it once, and seeing how wonderful the movie will be, I HAD to go over to the support group!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 AM   #108
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I'm not one to say "I told you so", but that speech is almost certainly made by Theoden, not Aragorn. <P>See the link given <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002388" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.<P>
Old 11-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #109
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Saucepan Man:<P>I'm still waiting to hear your odds and wagering limits on whether that speech is being delivered by Aragorn or not. You seem quite confident, and therefore should be unafraid of a the chance of a bit of gain on the matter. What say you?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #110
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Does anyone have an Idea as to who the person is in the trailor right after the reforging of Narsil? It shows his reflection in the water and I really don't think that it is Frodo.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #111
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

There are other shots floating around that more clearly show them. They are just anonymous elven smiths.<P>H.C.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #112
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm still waiting to hear your odds and wagering limits on whether that speech is being delivered by Aragorn or not. You seem quite confident, and therefore should be unafraid of a the chance of a bit of gain on the matter. What say you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ops wagering bets? I thought such things where off-limits .
Old 11-07-2003, 07:29 PM   #113
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'm just curious, and I don't think this question has been asked before. Is the person that Eomer is holding in his arms and crying over Theoden or Eowyn? I talked to Saucy about it, and he said he had a suspicion that it was Eowyn, due to the fairer hair of the person in Eomer's arms. Any thoughts?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #114
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Eowyn.<P>H.C.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:51 PM   #115
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Ah, thank you greatly!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:38 PM   #116
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ops wagering bets? I thought such things where off-limits <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thena and I have agreed to a wager of a virtual beer, which I think is in order. If it's Aragorn, I stand Thena a virtual beer. If it's Theoden, he stands me two. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I talked to Saucy about it, and he said he had a suspicion that it was Eowyn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>True, much as my instinct is to go for Theoden on these matters.