The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #1
Agarwaen

1420! Dwarves' Fate?

Elves sail to Valinor or are killed, and of the fate of Men, little is known besides that they die and go ...you know, wherever... Does Tolkien ever address what happens to Dwarves when they die? Or was that not allowed for, since Dwarves are not one of the original Children of Iluvatar but were made by a Valar? This is one of those small things that's going to bug me; if anyone knows the answer I would be grateful.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:26 AM   #2
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

This is a very good question Agarwaen. But Dwarvish morality is very different to that of any other race in Midde earth. What happens after their death remains a mystery. Elves have come to think that after their death, Dwarves return to the stone from which they were made of. But the Dwarves had a very different belief as opposed to the Elves.
According to Dwarvish tradition, Dwarves are gathered by Aulė (or Mahal) in a section in the Halls Of Mandos set aside specially for the Dwarves. And after the end of the world and the Last Battle they procalim that they will help Aulė in rebuilding Arda.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:30 AM   #3
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Iargwath pretty much covered it but if you want to read more the story of the making of the Dwarves and the lore of their fate can be read on page 43-46 in The Silmarllion second edition. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
Agarwaen

Sting

wow awesome. thanks! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i really must read the silmarrilion again, i cant believe id forget something like where the dwarves go after they die
but thanx to all of you. im really into dwarves and have adopted a dwarvish name (derin, it just sounds right)
actually, in full its derin aran nu i oron
(derin king under the mountain)
so the dwarves are going to rebuild arda? they never really seemed like they care for the world to me, with all their digging and mining and excavations. and its not like they care for life, cutting down all those trees. so why are they going to help rebuild the world after they done so much damage to it? or is it to make up for doing so much damage to arda?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:15 AM   #6
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

That is a fair question the guy who be short. But you must remember that it is a Dwarvish belief (so it is hard to determine if it is indeed fact). The best thing i could come up with as an answer was this:
One of the srongest characteristcs of the dwarves, was indeed the ability to craft. It would be moral for them to help Aule (their creator)to re build Arda for they already derive many skills in craft from him. It could also be part of their fate...who knows

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote