Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2003, 10:04 AM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Barrow-Downs Birthday Party - Discussion Thread

The Barrow-Downs Birthday Party and Downie Awards is a great opportunity to blow off some steam and engage in some humor and silliness. Unlike (most) RPGs, at the Party you can let your hair down, relax and interact with your friends as well as talk with new people. You may wish to peek at the prior party threads (in Elvenhome) to see what a party here can be like.

Sub-plots are allowed so long as they do not exclude others or interfere with the flow of the party. But don't take off on a full-blown RPG within the party. That's a sure way to run afoul of the Admins and Mods, of which there will be plenty.

The Party will take place in two phases. First there will be the red carpet arrival of guests and the cocktail party. Then there will be the actual awards ceremony. Dancing is permitted (within reason, as with all things). Guests must check their weapons. There will be no duels or fighting allowed.

The awards are pre-planned and are all tongue in cheek (more or less). Party Guests will not be allowed to present their own impromptu awards. We are taking this approach to insure that no one gets slighted, insulted or offended.

However, we are in need of PRESENTERS for the awards. You can volunteer to be a presenter in this thread. You can adopt whatever persona you wish to present an award. You want to be Madonna, Albert Einstein or Charlton Heston as a presenter? That's fine. Gandalf would work too.

To present an award, you must prepare a presentation speech (humorous), announce the name of the award and the winner, and provide the winner's "theme music". For example, Alanis Morisette's "Ironic" might be appropriate for an award which is the polar opposite of the personality of the winner. The presenter should, without revealing the nature of the award, PM or e-mail the winner in advance and try to arrange for the award to be given when he or she is on-line and can give an acceptance speech. Acceptance speeches are not required.

PARTY RULES

For posting purposes, this party will be run using the rules of the Shire RPG forum as modified below. These are:

The Shire's Rules

The Shire has its own set of rules to follow. The purpose of these rules is to keep the peace, produce high quality stories, and help you get ready to play in Rohan. The rules are as follows (those not applicable have been deleted:

1.Check the game's discussion thread frequently. This is where you plan your next moves with other players and keep the game on track. Moderators and Innkeepers will pop in from time to time to give suggestions and comments to help you along the way. Also, remember to check your PMs (private messages).

2. Write in complete sentences and in paragraph form. Each post that you make should be at least two paragraphs in length with each paragraph made up of at least two sentences. Separate the paragraphs by double spacing between them. This makes your posts easier to read and more enjoyable for everyone. When a character speaks, his or her words should go between quotation marks.

3. Chat-style abbreviations are not allowed. For example, say "How are you today?" not "How r u 2day". Short chat-style posts which encourage other players to post in a chatty style are also not allowed. Be descriptive, and try not to use a lot of dialog.

4. Stay in character on the RPG thread. Use PMs or the discussion thread for out of character comments or discussions.

6. Swearing, sexual conduct, or obscenity of any kind are absolutely prohibited. There are no exceptions. Flaming and spamming are also forbidden.

7. Interact with the other players. Don't try to write the story yourself. An RPG is a communal effort with everyone participating. Use the discussion thread for planning. Also, don't "hijack" other player's characters. It is bad form to send another character off somewhere without the permission of the player.

8. Listen to the game founders, moderators, and Innkeepers. They are trying to help.

9. Follow the story line and read what the other players are posting. If your mission is to deliver a message from Bag End to Bree, you have no business wandering off to Lorien. Every RPG has a beginning, a middle and an end. Aimless wandering is not allowed. Achieve your goal, have fun doing it, and when you are done move on to the next game.

10. No Bunnying!

Bunny(noun)-1)actions that interfere unjustly with other characters. 2) anything that gives your character unfair advantages over other PCs and NPCs. 3) presenting someone else's character in such a way, whether by actions or words, that you change the basic nature of that character.

Examples of Bunnies
Ultimate weapons/spells. Killing off other players without permission . Killing non-player characters without a good reason. Invulnerability. Unduly large numbers of skills. Skills conflicting with your character.

Depicting someone else's character in a way they would not act. On those rare occasions that you speak for another character, be very careful to do it in a way that does not misrepresent them or do anything significant without the permission of the person who owns that character.

Simply put: Please play your character realistically and within the boundaries of Middle Earth "reality". Don't act in ways that give you unfair advantages over other players.

Players have the right to request that you modify your post when they feel that their character has been misrepresented or unfairly treated. Game founders and/or moderators will mediate any disagreements.

11. Be polite to your fellow players. Everyone makes mistakes. That is what the "Edit" button is for. There is no reason to get angry at someone else. Its just a game.

12. This is a Tolkien website, so your characters and stories must relate to Middle Earth. For example Jedi Knights and lasers are not permitted.

14. If a problem arises with another player, whether it is a personality conflict or a rules violation, contact the RPG Founder first. If the problem is not resolved, contact a moderator.

16.Edit out your signature for every post you do in any role playing game in the Shire, Rohan, or Gondor. In the screen for creating your posts, there is an option to 'Show Signature'. Please uncheck this box when posting in the RPG forums.

You can use your signature anywhere else, including the Green Dragon and the Game discussion threads.

HAVE FUN!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Mithadan, it would be my distinct honour to act as one of the presenters. Just let me know...thanks!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:32 AM   #3
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I´d loooove to be a presenter... shall I PM you, or will you let me know?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah I would love to present an award to someone. Should I PM a mod or just wait for someone to PM me?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:12 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I, too, would love to be a presenter.

Will you inform us of what award we'll be presenting and to whom, or do we come up with the award and the winner and PM you for your approval?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

We will advise what award you will be presenting and to whom.

You may adopt any persona you wish for the presenter. It need not be the character you assume for the party.

I anticipate that the awards portion of the party will not begin before next Monday.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I have 2 questions:
a. To "play" a character, who should I ask?
b. How long is the party going to be?

Thank you to whoever answers [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 01:45 PM   #8
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Create your character and appear at the party at a time of your choosing. The party may run for a couple of weeks or more depending upon interest.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I know I'm still kinda new, but I'd like to present an award. I could make a great speech and everything.
I just have some questions first.
What time will the actual "party" start or the red carpet end? And how will the red carpet work? Do we present ourselves like saying,
And in came Ainaserkewen wearing blah blah blah?
Think of me for presenter please.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:57 PM   #10
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just a quick post to say I baggsy Gollum as award presenter should I get chosen! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 02:07 PM   #11
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Quote:
What time will the actual "party" start or the red carpet end? And how will the red carpet work?
The thread will open on May 1 at 9:00am Eastern Standard Time. The red carpet and cocktails portions will likely run through about Monday.

You have two options for "introducing" yourself in the red carpet portion. You may simply arrive and begin to mingle or you may use a Non Player Character Television Commentator (to be identified later) to discuss your arrival, your outfit and, if you wish, to interview you.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:32 PM   #12
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
12. This is a Tolkien website, so your characters and stories must relate to Middle Earth.
For this RP you can go as yourself, right? Otherwise I have some character planning to do....
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Old 04-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #13
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Yes, you may go as yourself.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #14
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hallo Mithadan:

Question. When you say:

Quote:
However, we are in need of PRESENTERS for the awards. You can volunteer to be a presenter in this thread. You can adopt whatever persona you wish to present an award. You want to be Madonna, Albert Einstein or Charlton Heston as a presenter? That's fine. Gandalf would work too.
... Are you extending an invitation to me to be a presenter, or are you saying that there might well be multiple Gandalfs running around the party, seeing as how I've already RSVP'd my plans to be in attendance?

Aware that at a Barrow Downs party the laws of physics may from time to time be suspended as part of "the willing suspension of disbelief" that goes into writing fiction, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #15
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I'd love to be a presentator. Could I be one dear, dear Mithadan. *kisses up for a while*

I promzie that the humor in my speech will not contain any nasty stuff and will act very politely. Please oh please oh please?

Don't know if it is necesary, but if the weird occasion of me being chosen appears, I would like to go as Proffesor Dumbledore. You know the heasmaster from Hogwarts.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
Old 04-29-2003, 03:56 PM   #16
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Snape was the potions teacher at Hogwarts. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Oh right, do an edit on me. Good way to win friends and influence people! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Nonetheless....

And of course there is only one Gandalf...subject to various metaphysical theories.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 04-29-2003, 03:59 PM   #17
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I guessed you read that before I could edit. First I thought of Snape, but that man never smiles. Dumbledore is a better man for the job. He is the only one that has not said "Potterrrrr" Anyway, enough with the Harry Potter talk. Ill save that for my speech heheheehe. Am I in?

*hops around anxious*
Old 04-29-2003, 04:26 PM   #18
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have posted this in a few places and if this annoying anyone this is the last place i'll put it "can i come to the party as a hippo?" i would like to come as one but if you dont see any hippos on your guest list i will have to understand
Old 04-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #19
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
Create your character and appear at the party at a time of your choosing.
Does the character have to be approved by anyone, or do I just come into there?
Old 04-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #20
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Characters do not have to be approved. This goes for hippos as well, though its a very odd choice.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:19 PM   #21
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Ring

yay thanks alot. I know I am odd do I hide it well?? lol
Old 04-29-2003, 05:57 PM   #22
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Tee-hee [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But I'm just wondering, how exactly will your character interact with the others? Or is it a talking hippo? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 06:09 PM   #23
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

O Mister Mithadan, I don't know if you're looking for more presenters, or if you want Downers who are a bit more illustrious than I [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], but I'd be very thrilled to do one.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 04-29-2003, 06:32 PM   #24
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Ring

I am a very capable hippopotamus, and have even asked if there is any young ladies, who would care for a dance, but obviously I am rather large. So if I happen to sit on any of you please dont take it personally, and if my larger end happens to nudge anyone in the buffet line, I apoligize in advance, and I took no offense Galadriel, but I think you should inquire of those planning to show up as balrogs and wargs. Not of good mannered hippos that can sing, dance, and speak.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Trippo The Hippo ]
Old 04-29-2003, 06:44 PM   #25
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

I'm no good at writing long speaches, but if Mithadan needs a pyrom...erm...fireworks and pyrotechnics engineer, I've got an avatar with some experience in the area. Granted, this may require some negotiation with the Valar to assure them that the creature has no intention of causing too much mass mayhem, but I'm sure we can work something out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

PM me if I can help. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 04-29-2003, 07:01 PM   #26
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Trippo- glad you didn't take offenser because there was not offence meant, I just didn't know there were balrogs and wargs coming [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 07:06 PM   #27
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Ring

yes there are a few you can find lots of facts if you go digging in the you are cordially invited threads infact the balrog plans on showing up naked and everyone got exited but i told them that he couldnt wear clothes if he wanted to he is kinda made of fire
Old 04-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #28
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Lol yes, that just gave me a funny mental image of a blrog burning up in a tux [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 07:54 PM   #29
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Good point there. This is so funny, I'm falling off my chair laughing. I've got the giggles today though, so anything on any thread makes me laugh... hehe...
Old 04-29-2003, 08:04 PM   #30
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd like to volunteer to present an award.... Well, not me personally, but I'll get an, er, interesting [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] character (or perhaps characters?) to present it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Old 04-29-2003, 09:24 PM   #31
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mith--

If you need any more presenters, Rie would be glad to write something up and belt it out with all the bravado she could muster, which is considerable. If not, she'd be glad to offer her services wherever they could be used.

~*~Orual/Rie~*~
Old 04-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #32
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Vogonwë is more than willing to be a presenter. The question is, can I take that kind of mental duress without going completely nutty?

In any event, Mith, if anyone on your list is partial to bad poems, I know someone who could write one in his/her honor. You can get in touch with the Master at:

Brownbarkian Ep-icks
c/o Diamond18
PM Box 4462
Old 04-30-2003, 01:00 PM   #33
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maril reads she has *gone into hiding* and tsk-tsk's the newspaper. It didn't take them long to jump on the story. Aside from the subject matter, it was all a rather dry study on the socio-sexual mores of hobbits, particularly those of Hobbiton (with footnotes and appendices provided, of course, concerning the Stoors and hobbits of Breeland). Fortunately some... sympathetic... hobbits found a 'tidy little spot' for her to 'hole up.' (Their words, not hers.)

Now her friends were rather too gleefully working on 'a little disguise.'

Maril couldn't possibly miss this rare opportunity to study the current societal norms of Middle Earth and multi-species interactions. Why, there hadn't been a study like this since the Second Age, Elves growing increasingly rare as they have -- real Elves that is, not the current popular plastic surgery, where incongruent details such as body hair are explained away with 'oh, I'm half-Elven.'

In trying on her disguise, wellllll... she supposed these things were one-size-fits-all, and despite snickering assurances she was most convincing, all she felt was a trifle undignified. And where could she hide her notebooks on this thing? There are no pockets!

*sigh*

The lengths a scientist will go to for research.

- Maril
Old 04-30-2003, 02:16 PM   #34
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Perhaps Everwood could be a presenter! Wouldn't that be fun, an Ent to present an award, in one post! But if you need more, he'll be happy to!

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #35
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And of course there is only one Gandalf...subject to various metaphysical theories.
Indeed, Mithadan,

Well spoken! * bows *

Then too, on thinking further ... while I certainly won't rule out the likelihood of my appearing as Gandalf ... there are always other intriguing alternatives I can add to the mix. Some more metaphysical than others! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-30-2003, 04:25 PM   #36
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

well i have school then but if there is an after party i'll try and show up, and if there is any awards for me (rallieing the people aganest Sauron) you can give it to me when i post here
Old 04-30-2003, 06:50 PM   #37
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It seems as though you have quite enough volunteers for presenters, but in case you might be lacking one or two, Nuru would be more than happy to present an award. If not, she offers her services wherever else they might be needed, whether in the kitchen preparing meals, or simply having a good time.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Nuru
Old 04-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #38
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Just wondering- where will the party be taking place? If it was in there somewhere and I didn't read carefully enough I'm sorry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~Tripping over her feet repeptitively, Menelien

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 04-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #39
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Ring

Hey Mith, I dont know how much time you spend in middle earth mayhem, but in our little comunity over there we have been pondering the idea of having a disco dance off at the party. I just thought I should ask you if we will be kicked out of the party quickly if we, attack the dj and force him to play disco tunes. Then push Bill the Pony out into the center of the dance floor wearing an afro wig. I didn't know if you wanted to give us a special time to do this, or if you wanted to laugh at us and tell us no, or whatever you want to do. If you need more info here is the link to the thread.Disco Danceoff at the Downies We even have a celebrity judge so let us know how you want to handle this.

DO THE WAVE FOR BILL THE PONY THE DISCO HORSE!!!

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: Trippo The Hippo ]
Old 04-30-2003, 07:30 PM   #40
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Wait wait... so he's a pony and a horse? The logic of this is getting lost on me... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Wandering around, staring at the ceiling, Menelien