The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Seaside Tolkien Home For Sale

Yours, for just Ł1m. I vote for sending Mithalwen down the road to check it out. She could easily pose as a prospective buyer.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I wonder if the current owner changed anything... could we go back in time to Tolkien?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe the Downs should take up a collection and make a bid. One million seems a bit steep though, for a Barrow-Downs holiday home.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The horror, the horror of retirement

a suburban bungalow? and modern and in some kind of mass-build sub-division?
Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I wonder if the current owner changed anything... could we go back in time to Tolkien?
Well they've had UPVC windows put in and I strongly suspect that Tolkien would not have approved of those, even if they had such a thing back then! But the estate agent blurb states that the sale includes a fireplace that Tolkien had had installed. It's a shame there are no pictures, which is why I suggest some subterfuge and a mission to investigate...

Bb - I don't think it will be a 'mass-build' type neighbourhood in that particular area, or at least the residents would not like to think so; they'd probably like to think of it as 'exclusive' rather than suburban, which has unpleasantly lower middle-class connotations.

Might be worth a nosey on Google Earth though...

The last Tolkien house up for sale, 22 Northmoor Road (which is very suburban) went for a whopping sum too, and when I was there in September I was surprised to see the owner, a man in his late 50s/early 60s, pottering about washing an M Reg Golf rather than a Porsche - might have been a real Tolkien fan who broke the bank to live there? Incidentally, at Northmoor Road they still have the trellis put up by Tolkien in the 30s, which was amazing to see.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think we should buy it as a club-house. . .a place where members could hang out whenever they needed to read Tolkien, talk Tolkien or just enjoy each others company, but wait! What would we need The Barrow-Downs for then ?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It is a fabulous location - backs on to a mini Rivendell and in a very exclusive area ..I have pics in my camera .... when I wen to Branksome Chine in the summer ... but it doe sit in the most expensive part of a generally expensive area - and is probably the cheapest house on the street..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Was it always this expensive? I'm curious because in the new Companion & Guide it mentions that Tolkien and Edith had to give up 22 Northmoor Road after most of the children had grown due to being unable to afford the expense. They then moved to a much smaller house on Holywell Street in the city centre (effectively a terraced house, albeit one with part of the medieval city walls as part of the garden wall). Later he lived at Headington, but again not in a big house - at this time he'd had to remove his enormous library from Merton College after retirement and he struggled to find storage for it, which is why he converted the garage, but all the same large numbers of his books had to be given up. I wonder just how much of his Rings income he spent on his retirement home? He strikes me as having been a very prudent man, through necessity.