The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #1
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye A new Gollum, A younger Gollum?

Got a question for everyone, if Peter Jackson makes the Hobbit (which he will surely do someday) what will Gollum look like?
Will they use the deteriated Gollum that we saw in Return of the King?
What does everyone think?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
Elessar Telcontar
Pile O'Bones

Elessar Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Very good question! I don't think Gollum that we saw in the LotR movies will be the one used but I would say that one of the 'middle stage' Gollums would be suitable. A possibility would be the instance in which Gollum eats the fish in the flashback sequence, I feel this would be suitably deteriated but not to much so...

Well thats all from me, lets hear everyone elses thoughts
Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think they'll use the Gollum from the RotK opening sequence right after he opens his eyes and they're huge. That one looks a little younger than the TTT and RotK version, but still similar enough to be recognizable.

They might even try to use the Gollum who we saw in his cave in the prologue.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I don't even think it is even necessary to change Gollum. I mean he found the ring some 500 yrs ago, and Bilbo took it off of Gollum 60 yrs before Frodo gets the ring, so there might be a little change, but it wouldn't be necessary, and it's not something I would have a problem with.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I'm with you Boromir...You figure if the ring has postponed his lifespan he must not really grow up all that much...he probably chances every 100 years or so.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd say they would probably make him just a bit younger, just enough to be noticeable. A little more hair, perhaps, a fuller loincloth (hopefully ), a few less wrinkles and whatnot. Maybe an extra tooth. Nothing major.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:22 AM   #7
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think you're right about the loincloth considering that in the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter of the Hobbit, Tolkien describes what Gollum has in his pockets, like stones and Goblins teeth and whatnot, so it would make sense for him to have slightly more clothing.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #8
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I agree with Encaitare. I think the Gollum we saw through the three films was in a way quite cute. Those RotK opening scene images were in my opinion too hideous to watch much longer. How can something so ugly (like the look Gollum had when he crawled into the cave in Misty Mountains) turn into such a sympathetic creature as he finally became? Anyway, I wouldn't like to watch him in the Hobbit in some of his metamorphose looks.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I would think that the Gollum of The Hobbit would look considerably the worse for wear than the Gollum of LotR: by the time Frodo sees Gollum he has been in the open air and light for several years and, more importantly, not under the direct influence of the Ring -- there must have been some improvement!!
Old 09-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't think he'll look a lot different than the LotR Gollum, it was only about 30-50 years before he ventured out, right? But I doubt it will be any of the 'Gollum stages', either. Most likely, it'd be something different that we haven't seen yet, it would make more sense that way anyway. I'd rather go to the Hobbit not having seen what Gollum looks like yet.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Spawn:
Quote:
I agree with Encaitare. I think the Gollum we saw through the three films was in a way quite cute.
How conveniant, my mom is the same way. In fact, the only reason she watched the movies was to see poor little gollum.

P.S. Serkis did a great job, I just love his voice.

SNEAKING! SNEAKING! Smeagol shows hobbits secret ways that nobody else can find, and they say SNEAK! SNEAK! Yes precious, very nice friends precious, very ince...
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote