The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
The Barrow-Downs Reading Challenge

I am aware that all of us lead busy lives, and sometimes it's hard to find the time to read that we used to enjoy. I know that since I got married, I have hardly read for myself at all, and when I do, I have a bad habit of reading only light fiction. Therefore, I would like to invite you to join me in a challenge: to read, in a year, 40 books, in a variety of categories. If you are game, put the following form in a post, and edit it as you complete a book. Keep any comments or discussion on what you have read separate from your actual record of the Challenge. As for definition of Classics...use your own discretion.

Guidelines (or Rules, for those who Thrive On Them)
  1. Only two (2) books by any given author are permitted. Fiction series count as a single book.
  2. You should be reading this for the first time. Re-reads don't count!
  3. These must be actual books, not websites, pamphlets, etc.
  4. Textbooks or classroom books count only if they are read in their entirety.
  5. "Recommended by Others" books may be recommended by friends, teachers, published book reviews, etc.
  6. "Trade Books" are books in your profession/field. Parenting, etc., books count in this category.
  7. "Religion/Philosophy" books should explore multiple theologies and/or viewpoints, rather than focusing in a single direction.
  8. If you never finish the book, it doesn't count!
  9. Feel free to modify categories to suit the challenges you need to make for yourself.
  10. These are minimum requirements only. Voracious readers are encouraged in their voracity.
Quote:
FICTION
CLASSICS
RECOMMENDED BY OTHERS
CHILDREN'S NOVEL
MY CHOICE

NONFICTION
TRADE BOOKS
MEMOIR/BIOGRAPHY
POLITICAL
HISTORICAL
PHYSICAL SCIENCES
SOCIAL SCIENCES
RELIGION/PHILOSOPHY
ARTS
MY CHOICE

POETRY

Last edited by JennyHallu; 03-28-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
FICTION
CLASSICS
RECOMMENDED BY OTHERS
CHILDREN'S NOVEL
MY CHOICE

NONFICTION
TRADE BOOKS
MEMOIR/BIOGRAPHY
POLITICAL
HISTORICAL
PHYSICAL SCIENCES
SOCIAL SCIENCES
RELIGION/PHILOSOPHY
ARTS
MY CHOICE

POETRY
Old 03-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What do you mean by trade books?

This looks like good motivation for reading all the books I have bought and not read. But I have to say that the fiction/non fiction ratio is a bit harsh. And by poetry do you mean anthologies or that I finaly have to slog through the RIng and the Book or the Prelude... and no drama/ short stories?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-28-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Quote:
"Trade Books" are books in your profession/field. Parenting, etc., books count in this category.
I suppose these are books meant to help you improve at fulfilling your personal responsibilities, whether at work or home. I might fill this requirement with books on using Microsoft Office, or with books on marriage or financial planning. I haven't decided.

I thought of poetry as meaning anthologies...books of poetry.

And the fiction/non-fiction ratio IS harsh, but this is supposed to be a challenge, and I don't think I'm alone in admitting it is very difficult for me to work up the courage to read non-fiction.

Also, remember these are only minimum requirements. If you complete the fiction requirements and continue to read fiction books, keep listing them! Just don't forget you've committed to non-fiction also.

I'm probably going to start my non-fiction with a volume on the Vietnam war my husband owns...

EDIT: In my understanding, drama and short stories are counted under fiction, whether as classics, recommended, or personal choice. But, whatever book you list must have been read cover to cover: you cannot list short stories from an anthology individually, read them all!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
I suppose these are books meant to help you improve at fulfilling your personal responsibilities, whether at work or home. I might fill this requirement with books on using Microsoft Office, or with books on marriage or financial planning. I haven't decided.

I thought of poetry as meaning anthologies...books of poetry.

And the fiction/non-fiction ratio IS harsh, but this is supposed to be a challenge, and I don't think I'm alone in admitting it is very difficult for me to work up the courage to read non-fiction.

Also, remember these are only minimum requirements. If you complete the fiction requirements and continue to read fiction books, keep listing them! Just don't forget you've committed to non-fiction also.

I'm probably going to start my non-fiction with a volume on the Vietnam war my husband owns...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek - that may well cure my insomnia

And most of the non-fiction I read well I am sure the library will report me since I only seem to get stuff out on murder and forensic science and that will sound even worse if I claim it is research.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 03-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

In my case, this is meant to challenge me to expand what I ordinarily read. Left to my own devices, I would read little but spy and light fantasy novels. (Odd mix, huh?) I'm hoping this public challenge, and the joy of company, will help kick-start me towards better reading habits.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Eek! 40? I have utterly no hope....
Old 03-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I would have hope if all could be fiction (or at least 30) and rereads would count (I'm in a somekind of rereading phase), but no way with that one. Maybe I'm too young or hedonistic to try that.

Have a nice reading process!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #9
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Yes, if any book counted, I might stand a better chance. And if separate books in a series counted as one each....and perhaps if books where you have to read every page three times would count as three!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
Yes, if any book counted, I might stand a better chance. And if separate books in a series counted as one each....and perhaps if books where you have to read every page three times would count as three!
Yes, that series thing goes with me as well. Or if you could count books like "Totto and the bathtub" that have around 10 pages and one sentence on each page...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You could always put Totto in the "Childrens Novel" section...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Novel indeed...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #13
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Guideline/Rule 9 does allow you to adjust the challenge for your own needs.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Anyway I would adjust it so much that it would be a totally different thing so maybe I let you participate and only watch myself....
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #15
Dairym
Pile O'Bones

Dairym has just left Hobbiton.
The Barrow-Downs Reading Challenge

Dairym
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FICTION
CLASSICS
RECOMMENDED BY OTHERS
CHILDREN'S NOVEL
MY CHOICE

NONFICTION
TRADE BOOKS
MEMOIR/BIOGRAPHY
POLITICAL
HISTORICAL
PHYSICAL SCIENCES
SOCIAL SCIENCES
RELIGION/PHILOSOPHY
ARTS
MY CHOICE

POETRY

Let my poem be the universe, containing anything of matter...I'll speak in perfect meteor and comet on the stars.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
Dairym
Pile O'Bones

Dairym has just left Hobbiton.
Sounds like fun! I've been reading far too much light fantasy lately.
~Dai

Let my poem be the universe, containing anything of matter...I'll speak in perfect meteor and comet on the stars.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #17
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
Rather telling of my reading isn't it? On a serious note though, it would be fun to see what others have been reading.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
FICTION
CLASSICS
RECOMMENDED BY OTHERS
CHILDREN'S NOVEL
MY CHOICE

NONFICTION
TRADE BOOKS
13. The Girls in the Back of the Class by LouAnne Johnson
MEMOIR/BIOGRAPHY
POLITICAL
HISTORICAL
PHYSICAL SCIENCES
SOCIAL SCIENCES
RELIGION/PHILOSOPHY
ARTS
MY CHOICE

POETRY
Old 03-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This is certainly a great idea, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with the theme of this forum, which is the works of Tolkien. I would suggest that JennyHallu, as initiator of the idea, find another possibility for perpetuating this - perhaps a new forum or a personal website could be created for it. We have no off-topic sub-forum on the Downs, so I must enforce forum policy and close the thread. Those who are interested can contact JennyHallu by PM; she can also place a link to the challenge site in her signature. I will gladly post information here, even after closing the thread, if she passes it on to me. For those who accept the challenge, good luck and have a good time!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Closed Thread