The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Memories?

This may seem like a wierd topic, and thats also why I posted it here, I didnt know where else to put it. Very extremely sorry fi this was already a topic, but I dont think it has been yet...

Anyway, a while back while I was first reading the Lotr series, I would sometimes listen to a cd on repeat. Usually this would be a mix cd i got from a friend for a b-day, or a cd my friends and I recorded ourselves. So, now everytime I listen to that song, I get a happy memory in my mind of me sitting on the couch on a rainy day or snowy day listening to music and reading lotr. One song reminds me of a story in the silmarillion.

Ok, so maybe I'm completely crazy, so if I am....well, im not completely LoL.

But have any of you guys actually had something remind you of reading Lotr??

The singer and Cd listener person
Aylwen
Old 09-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, yes actually.

Every time I sit on my bed I think of it. Mostly because of when I finished The Two Towers. When it said at the end that Frodo was alive and captured, I about freaked!!!! I was yelling in the middle of the night going "How could this happen? It's not right!"

I know my mom had to be thinking something seeing she was asleep and all. But anyway, I remember that day everytime I read anything on my bed.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thats the same thing I did Aylwen! I read lotr for the first time when I was ten years old. At that time the Spice Girls and Hanson were very big and I had 'Wannabe' and 'MMMBop' both on repeat on my computer as I was reading! To this day I cannot help but think of lotr whenever I hear those songs!
Old 09-26-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I read LotR it was a brand new paper-back collection. Well, you know that new smell that paper backs have when you first crack them open? That smell always reminds me of LotR.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

This might sound a little odd, but...

The thing that reminds me of LOTR the most are gummy bears. Yeah, those little gummy fruit candies shaped like bears. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

See, the first time I was in the theatre watching the FOTR movie, I had a whole box of gummy bears on my lap. I was munching away, completely engulfed in the film. Then, during the part when the hobbits arrive at Rivendell, when Bilbo and Frodo are talking in a room, it happened. As soon as Bilbo hissed and his face went all buggy and scary when Frodo didn't let him touch the ring, I spit a heap of nasty, half-chewed gummy worms out, in complete fright and surprise. The slimy wad of candy flew at the back of the person who was sitting in front of me's neck. Yikes. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

So, whenever I eat gummy bears, I think of LOTR. (and I make sure to keep them in my mouth. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 09-26-2002, 07:53 PM   #6
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

I was listening to the LOTR soundtrack all the way to Chicago on the train. It was March, some snow on the ground. I loved it, so now, everytime I listen to it, I think about my trip.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:26 AM   #7
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ok, mine is wierd, but the smell of paprika reminds me of LoTR, as I ate paprika Pringles frequently whilst reading it. (Don't ask me why: adolescence, phase, hormones, etc etc...)

Similarly there are a couple of passages in TTT that still give me Pringle cravings 6 years later!

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
Hobbit maiden

Sting

There are some things a have to do while I'm reading LotR (each time):

-I have to eat little cookies that look like Lembas
-I have to be alone

Sometimes:
-I have to be in my garden

Spring is a good time for LotR...
And yes, one more thing: LotR movie soundtrack reminds me of the book, not movie. And I like that music, very much. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 09:48 AM   #9
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was reading the Battle of Pelennor Fields when I was listening to Lostprophets song "Fake Sound of Progress" and it reminds me off it every time I listen to it! I like being reminded of it though!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #10
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

Paprika pringles!! Yum!! Come to think of it, I had those on a train too!!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Grandmother gave me this ring that was a birthday present for her or something, for Christmas. I wore it when I went to see LOTR. My hair was short and curly, and my dad said that I looked like frodo (kinda scary!). I wore it for like, 2 mounths or something, on a chain around my neck. In that time I saw LOTR 2 or 3 times and read the book at least once. Whenever I where it I think of LOTR. I also have these pagamas that I wore when I read LOTR in a week. They also remind be of LOTR. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 10:52 PM   #12
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I think the best combination ever is white chocolate covered pretzels and The Hobbit. The first time I read the Hobbit I decided to eat some white chocolate pretzels and then almost ever time I read, I’d eat some white chocolate pretzels. So now I always think of The Hobbit when I see those kind of pretzels. Someday, when I pass on my copy of The Hobbit (that was passed on to me by my father) to the next generation, I’ll pass it along with some white chocolate covered pretzels. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 02:22 AM   #13
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
Well, you know that new smell that paper backs have when you first crack them open?
Oh, I love that smell!

4 pm reminds me of LotR. Mornings remind me of everytime the Fellowship has to get up and start walking. And Oatmeal cookies and hot coffee reminds me of Bilbo's Bag End.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 03:25 AM   #14
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The first time I read LOTR I used my mothers coppy.She got them used,so by the time I got to them they were old.The smell of an old book in much better than the smill of a new one,I think.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:42 PM   #15
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I didn't think anyone would respond.....Anyway....thats cool....I've never heard of paprika pringles...*decides to eat some of her sisters pringles*

For me it was always music.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aylwen
Old 10-01-2002, 08:28 AM   #16
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, yes; I was listening to a U2 live EP (with a particularly good version of "Please") and the most recent Spiritualized album, "Let It Come Down" a lot at the time of the release of the first movie.

'Rivendell' on the Rush album "Fly By Night" makes me think of The Hobbit since I listened to that song once when I read through it.

There are also a couple of songs from Final Fantasy that make me think of scenes from Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion.

I don't know if I'd call Led Zeppelin "influenced" by Tolkien. Robert Plant was certainly a fan, but throwing out a few allusions (some that don't make sense) isn't exactly what I call 'influenced by.' Who met a chick in Mordor? When did Gollum and the evil one steal her?

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 10-01-2002, 10:03 AM   #17
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
The Eye

Led Zeppelin is heavily influenced by LotR, if y'all have ever listened really closely to the lyrics of some of their songs. For example, The Battle of Evermore and Ramble On have many LotR elements in them, and whenever I listen to those songs I (duh!) think of LotR.

Also, cold reminds me of it. The first time I read it, it was the dead of winter and Christmas break. Back then our house had no heating, so I would swath myself in blankets and flannels and read. Dumb, yes, but true.
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:10 PM   #18
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Definetly!!!! That's why Nickleback, Stone Temple Pilots, and Drowning Pool remind me of LotR, The Silmarillion, and The Hobbit.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:44 PM   #19
Lady_Espel
Animated Skeleton

Lady_Espel has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, My FOTR book got Ribena(Blackcurrent juice) spilt all over it so Ribena reminds me.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:55 PM   #20
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I read the Hobbit, i was taking a really long camping trip with my family. On that trip, everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. It was raining the whole week, the camper start leaking, my younger sister wet the bed we were sharing, and a rock flew up and broke a whole in the dashboard window of the truck. So, needless to say, when i think of the Hobbit, i think of that disasterous trip that my family took!
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:02 AM   #21
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Here's another memory. I left for school after watching FotR this morning, and when I walked down the street, I faced the white but bright sky, and heard "The Ring Goes South" in my head.

Bombadillo: Welcome to the Downs! Happy posting!

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote