The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Paired characters from the movies.

This is off of Fordhim's "Paired Character's in LOTR" in the books forum, but there are a few pairings that I notice when watching the movies. They may or may not be in the books, but there's two pairings that really catch my eye.

Sam and Gollum- This is about the only thing I feel sorry for Frodo, having to put up with these two. It's like have one candy bar, yet you got two kids, and of course the kids want it all to themselves. These two are constantly fighting since the beginning of the movie, and I love when Sam starts beating the daylights out of him (poor gollum though ). I also cringe when I see Sam throw that rock and hit Gollum in the head.

Eowyn and Theoden- I love the scenes between these two, Theoden steps in as that father figure to Eowyn. Of course, Eowyn's father died, and Eowyn had been looking out for her uncle, but I think the scenes between Bernard Hill and Miranda Otto are wonderful.
"You must do this...for me."

And maybe one of the more, heart-touching scenes that I thought in the movies....
Quote:
Eowyn: What other duty would you have me do?
Theoden: Duty? I would have you smile again..."
So, what pairings did you notice in the movie, between two (or more) particular characters, pairings that you may not have liked, pairings that intrigued you, or pairings you truly enjoyed.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

RotK: Theoden and Wormtongue - You only get to see this for a moment, because, you know, Grima gets killed. But when they're at Isengard, and Theoden tells Grima to come down, that he has been forgiven, it shows a really interesting aspect to both of them. Firstly, Theoden's forgiveness. Grima practically ruined him and his kingdom, and killed his son. It is very noble of Theoden to allow Grima another chance, a chance to redeem himself. Secondly, Grima's repentance. He feels very bad for what he did; and he would gladly go with Theoden, to get that second chance, if Saruman would let him.

A rather interesting dynamic, IMHO.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Tis a good one Saphire, also in the books, Grima is given several chances-Theoden (a couple of times) and then with Frodo in the end. I view Grima as a character that did horrible atrocities, and is just plain out evil, but with all these people offering him their pity, you sort of start pitying him yourself. I think people also pity him, because he was once a good servant to his lord, but he was just terrified of Saruman.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A rather interesting pairing was movie Strider and Boromir. I though that one
of the movie plusses was Sean Bean's Boromir, more attractive then book
Boromir. You had, in the movie, an interesting contrast of tension and
rivalry, while also a male bonding.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Bungo Baggins
Animated Skeleton

Bungo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Merry and Pippin: I really enjoyed the scenes with Merry and Pippin. I think Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd added a light touch to otherwise grim scenes and that their chemistry was just another reason why the movie is such a classic.

Eowyn and Merry: The two share many nice moments together in the film, and when she picks him up to go fight after the two have both been discriminated against, it really shows a bond and understanding between the two. We end up cheering for them both when they are in the midst of battle.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Pippin and Gandalf: These scenes I just love because they show both characters at their best and worst moments. And while there is a slight tension between the wise old wizard and the foolish young hobbit you can tell that they really care for eachother.

Denethor and Faramir: I love this not only because it was protrayed brilliantly by the actors but because it also helps explain the deviaition from the story that happened in TTT. It is very easy to be pulled in by this sorrowful family relationship. I must also say that any scene that Faramir (David Wenham) was with another character (Pippin, Boromir, Eowyn) I thought was exellent.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Arwen and Aragorn: Mostly just 'cause I'm a sucker for cheesy/ beautiful romantic scenes, but there is something compelling about this relationship. I suppose because it's timeless, full of hope in times of despair and because it's desperately tragic. *cries then starts singing* someday my prince will come!

I agree with Bungo on Merry and Pippin's relationship. Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan did an incredible job lightening up the mood and really showing a true friendship on screen and off.

Galadriel and Celeborn: I like their relationship in the books and in the movies, I think cate blanchett was an awesome Galadriel (but that's probably for another forum). The way that it played in the movie was Celeborn said something and Galadriel gently correcting it or, no, that's incorrectly worded adding more maybe so that it seemed that she was the stronger of the two. Which was smart of PJ and tolkien to do because there are no really other feminine characters besides eowyn. I thought it was especially smart for PJ because he insulted Eowyn at times and told her she wasn't strong enough to fight (not him personally, through the form of eomer in ROTK:EE). It was good to have a feminist spin on things in an otherwise masculine movie.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I agree with Bungo Baggins about the Eowyn and Merry pairing. I love to see these two characters, who most consider weak, pair up together and end up making a huge mark on the world in Middle Earth. I don't think they would've made it had they not snuck off with the riders together. They made a strong force to be reckoned with, and I think they really supported one another in their journey. I wish more had been included at the end of the movie about the deeds themselves... you never get a glimpse in the movie that their deeds will be forever remembered in Middle Earth. Ah well.

I also love the Eowyn and Eomer pairing. With the added scene of having him find her on the battle field you get to see even more what it is like for them as brother and sister. Up until that point it is almost unknown if they have a truly loving family relationship. So, I love every little glance or discussion that they had in the films.

And lastly, I must mention my love of the Pippin and Gandalf pairing. Having Pippin ripped away from everything he ever knew like that by Gandalf really lets him explore how much strength he actually has. Some of their scenes together are my favorites. I love the one where Gandalf speaks of the "grey rain curtain" and the new added scenes between them in the extended edition. You get to see that Gandalf really does care for Pippin. In a way, he treats Pippin as if he were his child... always scolding him, but it is usually only to reprimand or to keep Pippin out of trouble.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Yes, Tuor, and I love the scene in Lorien where Boromir talks about the situation in Gondor, and then that uplifting music begins to play.
Quote:
Merry and Pippin: I really enjoyed the scenes with Merry and Pippin. I think Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd added a light touch to otherwise grim scenes and that their chemistry was just another reason why the movie is such a classic.
A fine point Bungo, and I think their characters up to the point where they seperate at Rohan, only makes that scene more emotional.
Quote:
Denethor and Faramir: I love this not only because it was protrayed brilliantly by the actors but because it also helps explain the deviaition from the story that happened in TTT
Another fine point, we truly get to see Denethor's favoritism, and as you said it does help us understand why Faramir took the ring to Osgiliath.Arwen and
Quote:
Aragorn: Mostly just 'cause I'm a sucker for cheesy/ beautiful romantic scenes, but there is something compelling about this relationship. I suppose because it's timeless, full of hope in times of despair and because it's desperately tragic. *cries then starts singing* someday my prince will come!
I've come to accept everything that's happened between these two, except for the part where Arwen is dying, and her fate is tied to the ring. That is a bit over the top, but the whole telepathically cybering, and Glorfindel-role-reversal, I've come to accept.
Quote:
I also love the Eowyn and Eomer pairing. With the added scene of having him find her on the battle field you get to see even more what it is like for them as brother and sister
That is my favorite added scene from the EE, Karl Urban did great. I also love how they have Eomer "threaten" Grima, with the... "To long have you punished my sister, too long have you haunted her steps," instead of in the books, Gandalf. It means much more to me hearing Eomer say it, instead of Gandalf.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I also love how they have Eomer "threaten" Grima, with the... "To long have you punished my sister, too long have you haunted her steps," instead of in the books, Gandalf. It means much more to me hearing Eomer say it, instead of Gandalf.
Yes, the protective big brother idea is far more meaningful than some well-meaning but rather random wizard guy coming along and saying the same words.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote