The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2002, 09:13 AM   #1
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril A few suitable words

Reasons I like this place:

1. Everyone is friendly here. I Belong to another message board where I get all but ignored. I mean, I say something and it's like they all say "The crazy hobbit is babbling again" "just ignore it". that dosen't happen here.

2. I am allwed to speak of Frodo (me) in the first person tense (e.g. I, me,) without getting laughed into the next age of Middle-Earth.

3. There is always someone else on here when you are(as in all of you on here) so no one feels ALONE.

4. All on here walk around with the same mentality (i.e. obsessed), so no one is seen as a geeky blithering idiot.

I'm sure there's more, but thoughts escape me. And, as you may know, on occasions such as this, we hobbits fear to say too much.

Also, as an inspiration from some friends of mine on here (you know who you are so I won't name names) I will start leaving little quotes with my posts. Here's my first:

"But I am going to Mordor."
"I know that well enough, Mr. Frodo. Of couse you are. And I'm coming with you."

Not to be mushy, I just like that part.

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 09:28 AM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

What other board were you on, Frodo, If I may ask? I've never posted on any other. Just vivited to view comments and get an idea of the demographics.

I noticed the "Minas Tirith" forum has few women, and I got the impression that they were "tollerated". Just my impression.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:36 AM   #3
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ever hear of ringzone.net? I also will say that people here are a litle more, well, moral. Yes, moral, I will put it that way.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, I've read some of the posts on ringzone. I sure wouldn't want my children on that site!I wouldn't want my children to know if I had been on that site! Glad you joined us here.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:18 AM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I also find this board to be more inviting. I used to post on another board (though not LOTR related) and people ignored my posts. I don't really go there anymore. Plus, the people there are not quite moral either.
I am glad you're with us here... one hobbit to another! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:35 PM   #6
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

I like this forum because the leadership is so intelligent and thoughtful [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'm glad you find the Downs a hospitable place to discuss Middle-earth. We tend to be a bit more staid and less tolerant of mischief than other boards, but we feel that helps us keep the tone truly in the spirit of Tolkien.

Keep on discussing!
Old 05-07-2002, 12:46 PM   #7
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

I also used to haunt another board, though it was not LotR related, and most of the time I got either:

a) Completely and utterly ignored

b) Made fun of

-or-

c) Offended beyond your wildest dreams

People on other boards are, well, immoral. I like it here, though, because people are inviting and quite ready and willing to help. Mentioning, if anyone knows any elvish and is willing to share.....
Old 05-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #8
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I post regularly on a number of boards and I wouldn't want to make generalised comments on any of them. What I would say however, is that at the Barrow-Downs I have encountered great politeness and some insightful wits in a greater abundance than the Internet usually proffers.

For there to be lilies, there must be dungheaps. Or something like that.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:26 PM   #9
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Sting

I went to another message board (not LotR), and it wasn't terrible, but there wasn't the welcoming feeling that you get here. It's nice to pop on the Downs and hang out [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:09 PM   #10
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

I like that being able to speak of myself (Sam) in first person, too--probably why I have so much fun here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sadly, I have found a few (stress few) rude folk, but easily enough ignored.
Quote:
Sam sat in the bows, clutching the sides, and looking back wistfully to the shore. The sunlight glittering on the water dazzled his eyes.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 06:07 PM   #11
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo: We agree on so many things! I love this place too!
Hope to see you at the forum birthday party!
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 07:49 PM   #12
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

I've been on some boards (not LOTR related) that are very vulgar and downright intollerable. It takes me a while to post on boards anymore because of that. I usually will linger, read and then decide if I want to join. With this board I was in and out for about 2 months. The thing that impressed me was the knowlege of the people here regarding Tolkien. I am NOT an expert and will probably never be so I am here to learn 99% of the time.

I've noticed some of those boards are just people who have nothing else better to do or talk about so they pick on people. Well I have better things to do than be flamed by some arrogant slacker. Conversation I can deal with even ones that disagree but there is such a thing called tact and respect. Some other boards choose not to use it. From what I've seen here they put those to use. Which is one reason why I continue to post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 09:53 PM   #13
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I've only found one other board that is as fun as this one.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #14
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Awwww! Thanks guys. To everyone, well met, I agree completely. I say again, well met.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:19 PM   #15
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Aosame -- the Forum birthday party? Where and when is that? I must have missed something here. sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #16
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you guys! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Not many boards are like this...
Well, I post in another forum (not LOTR related) and everyone´s nice to eachother there (almost all the time..). I never get ignored or made fun of (except for when I am "on it" too), but then it may also be because I am one of the oldies there and well-known everywhere in that "world" (I´m talking about a music group), so no one dares to do that! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But this forum is still the best...I love this place. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #17
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question

Yes...what forum birthday party?
Quote:
"You don't need to tell me that!" said Sam. "I came without any, and I've been worried ever since. But I was wondering what these were made of, knowing a bit about rope-making: it's in the family as you might say. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 05-08-2002, 03:32 PM   #18
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes I agree with everyone about the quality of this forum. I have read other forums and they frankly scare me senseless. You feel very naked writing your thoughts and opinions on here and if someone was to have a go at you it would be difficult not to take it personally. I have only been capital lettered twice, once by someone I've never seen on this site since, and once because I actually posted some incorrect information about the movies. I am to be trusted with Tolkien, sewing, natural history, saxon history and just being friendly though!
Generally speaking everyone here is polite, friendly and like-minded. I haven't felt this welcome in the 'Mortal' world where you may meet one Tolkien enthusiast in your lifetime. Here there are hundreds (Almost Three Thousand!) Thank you Barrowdowns. I know I ramble about nowt but because you're such nice people you don't seem to mind. Thankyou residents of the Barrowdowns.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:43 PM   #19
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings, people. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Yes, this site is very "moral" and I like it that way. What suprised me at first was that there are so many people here and yet it is still very clean. I was at TolkienOnLine.com(a HUGE site) for three months, and it started to fall apart morally, like bad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. I wouldn't recommend going there.
So I'm going to enjoy this site while it last. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~M
Old 05-10-2002, 11:00 PM   #20
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm glad this is a good clean site, or else I wouldn't be allowed on it. If you go to "Barrow Downs", there's a thread called "Let's have the party here!". On page six (yes, six) there is all the info about the birthday party you want to know. Usually, I'm the last one to know anything. This forum, its seems, does not follow the world's pattern (thank goodness!)
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:03 PM   #21
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Morquesse.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:44 PM   #22
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White-Hand

Morquesse, hullo and welcome from the neighborhood gardener! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (actually, I'm only one of them on here, but I'm speaking in character [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Quote:
"Bill, my lad, you ought'nt to have took up with us. You could have stayed here and et the best hay till the new grass comes. "
~Sam Gamgee
Old 05-11-2002, 05:33 PM   #23
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I love this board. Everyone is nice. And you don't have to worry about reading ...inapropriate messages.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 06:46 PM   #24
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is the only Tolkien related board I'm registered on, although I've seen some pretty pathetic messageboards all over the rest of the net. The Barrowdowns forum is a very unique and wonderful board, simply because the people are very friendly and the focus stays on Tolkien and LOTR, resulting in some amazing discussions that are thought-provoking and intelligent. Very rarely have I found threads on other boards as deep and knowledgeable as many on this one.

The Barrowdowns forum is a haven in the midst of the storm of wannabes. (Sorry, lame metaphor. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 05-11-2002, 07:09 PM   #25
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

I agree whole-heartedly with that, Ms. Took.

Quote:
"But I'm beginning to think it's time we got sight of that Fiery Mountain, and saw the end of the Road, so to speak. I thought at first this here Redhorn, or whatever its name is, might be it, till Gimli spoke his peice. "
~Sam Gamgee
Old 05-13-2002, 02:29 PM   #26
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Hear hear and well met I say!! I spend modt of my day here. I love it!

Welcome Morquesse!!! Nice picture byt the way.

Sam! You silly, you changed your signature!!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:44 PM   #27
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sorry, sir, I change it on a regular (or semi-regular) basis. Don't want to get bored lookin' at the same thing, you know. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
At that moment Sam came running back from the edge of the dell.
"I don't know what it is," he said, "--but I suddenly felt afraid. I durstn't go outside this dell for any money" I felt that something was creeping up the slope. "
Old 05-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #28
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Poor poor Frodo! Glad the Downs is beter for you!

I've never been on another message board, but I am on a yahoogroup, sorta the same, but it's jsut a small gorup of close friends, etc. so yeah I've never had that problem.

Ringzone.net immoral?? Haha now you've intrigued me...woo just kiddin!

--Lanniae
Old 05-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #29
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

What do you mean Axe? That I was ignored? Well, let me say that om that other place, it's gotten worse. Here is how it is, "Do you hear somrthing?" "Yes, the dummy little hobbit is babbling again, don't pay attention and maybe it will go away." whail I'm going "hey I'm talking!! Heloooo!!!!"

I'm am well-hear here. though my remarks can be rather stupid at times.

not all those who wander are lost
Old 05-14-2002, 01:00 PM   #30
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's awful Frodo, talk to us anytime. I talk rubbish at every available opportunity and will listen to anyone as they seem so kind to listen to me.
The dead don't want you to go away. Stay awhile amongst us.
I personally don't frequent other sites, this one is perfect for me and now I'm finding out what it's like out there I'm staying in my barrow.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:00 PM   #31
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oh man! Oh man! Oh man! I'm a Wight!! I'm a Wight!! I'm a Wight!

*does hobit dance, a few steps of the Springle-ring*

Yayyyyyy!!!!!! Wahooooo!!!!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!

Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Old 05-17-2002, 07:45 AM   #32
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Yes I agree with everyone about the quality of this forum. I have read other forums and they frankly scare me senseless. You feel very naked writing your thoughts and opinions on here and if someone was to have a go at you it would be difficult not to take it personally."

I thought i was the only one who was scared out of my wits whenever i posted [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

but hey three cheers for the barrow downs I commend you with the Lady Báin award for best and most welcoming forums ever [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Its so incredible how all of the people here are like a comunity and have never even met (well most of us [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) before

makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

not all those who are lost wander.

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 05-17-2002, 07:57 AM   #33
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
On behalf of the "Team", thank you all.

For those asking about the Barrow-Downs Birthday Party, an announcement will be posted later today.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #34
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa, haven't been here in a while. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Thank you, Raefindel, Samwise and Frodo Baggins for your welcomes! and I'm glad you approve of my pic, Frodo. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Yes, this is a fine site, where everyone feels comfortable. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] (and people don't to worry about being cussed at)
See ya,
~M
Old 05-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #35
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

*Sniff* this is the best forum I've ever been to... all the other ones were full of people who slinged so much mud at the subject that about 1% of the people were fans. When I first came, I was so scared that everyone might be mudslingers that I almost didn't sign up. But I was wrong and I am sure glad I did! I love all you guys!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And I think the b-day party is in the Books section.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 05:10 PM   #36
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Yes: sadly I once was a big Backstreet Boy fan (I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I was young!), and THOSE boards...MEOW! LOL. I found a few good friends and never made enemies, but the girls there...wow...I pity you that must live with my generation of teenagers (my b-day's in 25 days: I'll be 15!).

But: here, the worst I get is eyes rolled at me when I comment that I like Legolas (as a CHARACTER!), and I can deal with that! LOL But: I love you guys! Never change!

And: where else do the mods not get so overly mad when I do an extra post just because I am so happy at the fact that I upgrade (I just upgraded to Shade of Carn Dûm, btw: yay for me!) in status.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:09 PM   #37
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

1420!

Congratulations, Van! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 07:28 PM   #38
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

*Falls through the door*
Oops! Sorry I'm late! (Man do I have a problem of being late into topics)
I like this forum cuz there's actually other Elijah Fans here!
Plus I used to go to this other forum (not tolkien related) and if you were a newbie they would flame you on purpose until you left the forum. (thank goodness that sites down!)
Old 05-26-2002, 03:10 PM   #39
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yeah, Morai. Here, whenever a newbie arrives, people actually welcome them.
*gasp!*

[ May 26, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 05:06 PM   #40
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

plus at the other forum I was talking about, I once got flammed by a muslim because I'm a christain.
(I still got the scars left from the burns, hehe.)