The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting Parents

My dad took me to see lotr fotr and ttt. He doesn't like the movies, but he sees them at least twice. He's too much of a purist, he's mad they left stuff out.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
My dad doesn't like the movies at all. He doesn't like movies that are long, and he doesn't like movies that are "too violent". My stepmom absolutely hates everything to do with LotR. But that's just her personality; she doesn't have an imagination or a sense of humour or anything so she can't enjoy them. I can't say anything about LotR at home because I get strange looks from my dad and stepmom. <P>My mom likes them ok, but she still thinks there is "too much violence." All parents seem to think that, though. (At least all the ones that I know) <p>[ March 28, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 03-28-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

My mom generally likes LotR, but not overly much. She will soon begin to hate if I keep raving on like this, though...<BR> My dad hasn't read the books or seen the movies, except a few 1 minute pieces of FotR, and said they looked fake, but I think one of them must have been in Lorien when the Elves cover the Fellowship with arrows, cause that was a little fake. He's not interested, and I talk about LotR too much....
Old 03-28-2003, 04:40 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i took my mom to the cinema to see ttt not long ago. she kept on turning to me and gasping at all the gaspy bits, totally distracting me of course. i generally dislike attending the cinema with other people. plus i cant cry as well in front of other people as i can on my own.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mom says the movie has its funny bits, but is altogether too gory for her liking. Also she seems to think it a bit silly for well, I'll use Boromir's line:<P>"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing"<P>And my dad...ugh. He says the film seems to be full of "New age junk" and he seems to think that the scene in Isengard where they're digging Lurtz out of all that nasty goo to be some sort of re-incarnation. Doesn't help that he's never seen the film all the way through. The first time we tried showing it to him, he fell asleep during the Council scene. The second time he walked in when me and my nephew were watching it and he's like "I still don't see where this girl (Galadriel) fits it". Well maybe if you stayed awake for the whole thing you'd understand lol. Oh well, I also enjoy watching by myself better. I can get into it better, and cry. It's hard to get emotional when someone is going "I would not have kissed a bloody man's forehead" or (in reference to Merry and Pippin taking the heat for Frodo and getting carried off) "Idiot little kids!" ARRGH they're not idiots and they're not little kids! Ah, I guess I get too defensive sometimes, or not! Sorry for venting, I'm done

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #6
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Yes, I get as defensive if someone insults LotR. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:44 PM   #7
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Man, if more then one person insults LOTR in my presince, something get's hurt. (Usually it's my poor Spanish binder, which had taken much of my fist-pounding/debating/converting non-LOTR nuts abuse.) <P>Anyway, My Mom is scared of the movies and thinks something more along the lines of Harry Potter would be better, "Why couldn't they've made Gollum more like Dobby?" She's reading the books, so hopfully by ROTK she'll stop comparing Sindaren Elves with House Elves. <BR>My dad likes them, violence and all, but thinks it's too long, "Which is why it won't win best picture ever." I've given up trying to convice him otherwise, he holds my internet rights, after all.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:01 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mom likes the films (she saw FOTR once, and TTT twice), but she has a problem that she thinks if she has seen the movies she can fit in with the serious Tolkien fan (she goes with me to the conventions, but she has never read the books) though she is very supportive.<BR>My dad does not go see films in the cinema ever. So I never have a problem with him, but he knows I am a Tolkien fan.<BR>I only really wish that my mom would make it through the books, but she says they are not "light reading"
Old 03-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mom read the books and enjoys the movies as much as I do. Dad's a completely different story...
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:46 AM   #10
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Why couldn't they've made Gollum more like Dobby?" She's reading the books, so hopfully by ROTK she'll stop comparing Sindaren Elves with House Elves. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I hate it when people compare harry potter to lotr! I alwys get sooo defensive when people insult lotr. I just moved to a different city, far away from my lotr luvin friend. Nobody here likes lotr, just hp! I miss my fwiend! She is the only persn I can talk about lotr to, the only people who like it at my school are two boys, who are nice but, well, they're boys! (But I did introduce them to barrowdowns!)
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 11:26 AM   #11
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ARG! Harry Potter! <BR>Well, my dad hadn't seen FotR ( ) until February, and even then at about Bree he was all "Meh, you can watch this hon, I'm going to work on the computer." On the other hand, my mom has seen FotR about five times, and she totally understands my Gollumish ways about it. She keeps saying "I want to see Two Towers with you, Becka!" and I'm like "Yeay! Go you!"<P>My friend's mom went with her to the theater to see TT and at every quiet moment, she would move around her popcorn bag or chew on some popcorn so that she would make a lot of noise. Just glad I wasn't there. I might have exploded...<P>Then, about....*gasp*...HARRY POTTER! My sis was on the phone and she said "Oh, I don't want to see Lord of the Rings! It's just the exact same thing as Harry Potter!"<P>
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 01:51 PM   #12
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Well my dad is crazy about LOTR, I sometimes think he is a greater fan then me (blushes and feels ashamed). My dad and I sometimes sit at the dinner table talking about LOTR that our food goes cold! Before my mom passed away The Lord Of The Rings-fellowship of the ring came out! We went to go see it together at the movies! It was so funny whenever Legolas came on she would growl or say hello honey and embarrass me because she would say it so loud that everyone in the cinema would look at us! Then about two months later the video came out! Guess who was standing outside the Video Store to buy LOTR? My mom and I! At 6 am may I add! My mom was so exited for the Two Towers to come out but she never lived to see it! So I only saw the Two Towers the other day because I couldn’t bare to site in the cinema with out my mom! <P>P.S. I didn’t think Harry Potter was bad, I thought it was cute . Ok but not as excellent as LOTR, nothing like it in fact.
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #13
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

My mom has seen "The Two Towers" movie four times. She, like myself, compares anything and everything to a part of Lord of the Rings. Although she is not as avid about the books, when we walked out of the movie for the fourth time, she asked me, in all honesty, if I would "mind" seeing it again with her at some point. Most of her comments regard Gollum, as she seems to have fallen in love with the character, Smeagol.<P>My mom also actually seemed more disappointed than I was that Lord of the Rings didn't win more Academy Awards (well, I am completely in love with the movie "Chicago", as well, and they won six awards, so I was happy).<P>My dad is kind of neutral on the movies and on the books. He is of the mind that he has "outgrown" them (he still has yet to explain that one to me). While he sees the movie, he only sees it once, and hardly ever talks about it.<P>So, at least I have one obsessed parent...
Old 03-29-2003, 03:02 PM   #14
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was surprised that my dad actually likes lotr. He usually hates fantasy stuff. It's cool because my whole family and my close friends all like lotr.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:12 PM   #15
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My mom suprisingly really liked the lotr movies! She's seen it once and the WHOLE time she asked me questions! And when was a good time to go to the bathroom. Of course there isnt really a good place to go... Ya dont wanna miss <B>any</B> of it! But when it comes to me ralating things to lotr and saying the quotes she just gives me a worried look. lol <P>My dad was impressed with the movies and it takes a lot to impress him! It was SO funny to see their reactions at the end of fotr cuz they thought it was only one movie and didnt wanna wait a whole year to see what happens! hehe

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #16
ElephantTIG&Co

Thumbs up

my dad absolutely loved the movies (ttt and fotr) but he jus isnt motivated enough to read the books... my mom on the other hand --- she knows i loved LOTR and i too hav tried to get her to watch it the WHOLE WAY THROUGH but she keeps falling asleep at the council of elrond bit ahhh well one day.....lol<P>
Old 03-29-2003, 09:04 PM   #17
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

Well... both my dad and mom watched the movies in the theaters with us kids, including the midnight premier for The Two Towers! They both like it, and my dad has read some of the books, but not all the way through. My mom is interested in the movies, and always comments on the actors.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #18
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Well... my dad read LOTR, There & Back Again, and the Sil before the movies came out, and he started reading LOTR to me when I was about 8... but when the movies came out, he seemed to forget a lot. He just wasn't interested anymore, I guess.<P>BTW, ElephantTIG&Co, where do you get those great smilies? They are so cool!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 11:38 PM   #19
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I just looked at the smiles. There are tons! <P> <P> <P>They could have a smilie party!<P> <BR> <P>Here's a great one for Esty or the BW:<BR> <P><BR>Sorry! But I just love smilies!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:44 AM   #20
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Sting

My parents enjoyed it... My dad really likes both the movies and the books (he asks me stuff about the Silmarillion), and my mom enjoys the movies (hasn't read the books), but she puts up with my talking about it, and quoting it, ect.

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:26 PM   #21
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but she puts up with my talking about it, and quoting it, ect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>when it comes to quoting, etc. you people are fortunate in your parents i dont exactly quote or talk tolk in front of my parents, but one of the main things i do is spend a LOT of time on here, which is where my parents' toleration ends. they keep on threatening to shut this place down or block me from it.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:55 PM   #22
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yikes, I am the parent , and my mum introduced all of her 7 kids to Tolkien at a very young age, Bless her.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:56 PM   #23
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Dont worry I know how you feel! My dad may be a greater fan but you should see the phone bill, "you spend to much time on that F..... website" he says in those axact words!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:08 PM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Ah, me mum and dad liked the movies. My dad liked TTT moreso than FotR (he saw it twice with my mom and I) and watches FotR when I put it on at home. I wouldn't call him a "fan" though... he doesn't do anything "fannish" besides watching the movie.<P>My mom read The Hobbit when she was in grade school, so she's the one who prompted me to read that and LotR before the movie came out, in the first place. Then, after we watched FotR once at the theater, she finally got around to reading the book (before watching TTT).<P>She's "in love" with Sméagol, too. Whenever I play the soundtrack, she has me crank up the volume when "Gollum's Song" comes on, and if she puts it in herself, she skips ahead to that track. He's also the reason she cited for seeing TTT three times with me. No, she doesn't visit the Barrow Downs, but she's a goner for Gollum. <P>This is great, of course, because she also showers me with LotR related gifts. <P>Oh...and she's often remarked that they should have just made the movies R so they could make the violence seem "more real".
Old 03-30-2003, 04:02 PM   #25
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

So can I talk about my parents? Or should I count myself as one of the parents being discussed?<P>My obsession with LotR is beyond the comprehension of both my father and my son.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:11 PM   #26
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First of all, Arvedui III, you can tell you dad that two lengthy movies have gotten lots of oscars: Lawrence of Arabia (7 oscars) and Ben-Hur (11 oscars). You can conferm this at <BR><A HREF="http://imdb.com" TARGET=_blank>Imdb.com</A><BR>I made my mom read <I>The hobbit</I> she thought it was okay, and saw FotR, thought that was okay, but hated the orcs. She thought those were a bit disturbing, which is understandable.<BR>My dad is an interesting case. The only fiction he reads is Tolkiens's stuff (which is good in a way)and is a bit of a purist. He was disapointed that there was no Tom Bombadil in FotR (but liked Gandalf and Bilbo), and thought that TTT strayed a bit much from the book (probably true).<BR>So thankfully my parents are pretty good about me liking LotR. <BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 03-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #27
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You people are so lucky! The only grown-ups I know that like, I mean, REALLY like are my Englishteacher, my Historyteacher and the growns ups around here!<BR> My parents are so totally LotR- ignorant, I swear to Varda, it HURTS! My mom got the books from her brother, what, 20 years ago, and when I told her I´d like to read it she goes, "Oh they should be somewhere here." And they were. AND THE PLASTIC FOIL WAS STILL AROUND THEM!! <BR>My dad took me to say FotR, and when we come out, what does he say? "But it´s so UNREALISTIC!" I mean, puleeze. No, it´s called fantasy. Maybe that´s got something to do with his job, but that man only likes cold, hard fact.<P>In short, they are very frustrating. The rest of my family sort of like the movies, and I´m "recruiting" my cousin, making him read The Hobbit and all (he´s only 8), but aoart from that? No chance. When I grow up and still am as obsessed, (which I will be, unless I get ammenisia or smth) I wil be a much leess frustrating parent!<P>PS. What is you people´s problem with Harry Potter??? I keep reading it over and over on this forum, how much it szcks etc, and I just don´t understand it! <BR>(On second thought, maybe I don´t want an answer to that question)
Old 03-31-2003, 02:17 AM   #28
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> PS. What is you people´s problem with Harry Potter??? I keep reading it over and over on this forum, how much it szcks etc, and I just don´t understand it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>im a Harry Potter fanatic we're not all that bad!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:07 PM   #29
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
I love Harry Potter too! <P>My stepmom and my dad get really mad if I even mention LotR, so I have to lock myself up in my room and read. That's why I'm glad when I'm at my mom's house so I can come here or do anything Tolkien related <P>BTW: Where did all those lovely smilies come from, ElephantTIG&Co and Eressië Ailin?<p>[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 04-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #30
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My parents are pretty cool about it. Niether of them have read the books. My mom couldn't stand it at first, but it has grown on her. Especially now that she has heard me read part of the Letters to her. <P>My dad doesn't read. He doesn't like movies with sword fighting or long battles, but somehow he liked FotR and can't wait to see TTT. He didn't see FotR till after TTT left the theater. He is a good sport about it. I am really suprised at my parents. My is 59 and dad is almost 62, and they are really getting into it - but not as much as I have.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:46 PM   #31
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My stepmom absolutely hates everything to do with LotR. But that's just her personality; she doesn't have an imagination or a sense of humour or anything so she can't enjoy them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have the exact same problem!!!<p>[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Lucinda ]
Old 04-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #32
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I'm both a daughter and a mom. My own mother scratches her head but indulgently sends a check for my birthday so I can buy more of the "stuff" I like.<P>I introduced both my kids to Tolkien before the movies came out. My ten-year old recently finished reading The Hobbit and has pictures of Sam and Frodo plastered over her walls. My son, who's fifteen, just finished reading Fellowship and Two Towers, and is starting on the third book.<P>My whole family would probably agree, though, that no one is as daft about this as I am.<P>Cami Goodchild
Old 04-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #33
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mom and dad don't really care for it. They never even saw the movie or read the book. But my friends mom loves Lord of the Rings, book and movie. Why are all my friend's mom's cool, and mines not.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:46 PM   #34
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My dad likes the movies, but my mom doesn't.<BR>My dad normally doesn't like 'violent' movies, but he liked the books so much he apparently doesn't care. I have a friend who's mom absolutly LOVES the movies!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:07 PM   #35
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My parents don't really care. They treat it like any other good movie. They watch it, maybe watch it agian on video and say it's good, but that's about it. But I can say anything i want about lotr they won't really care...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:15 PM   #36
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Olo Gamwich has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My parents like the films. I went with my dad to see Fellowship of the Ring at 9:00 PM and, while he can fall asleep to ANY movie, no matter how action-packed, he stayed awake till midnight watching it. Both of them haven't seen The Two Towers yet, and they keep telling me they really want to see them. It's cool i guess.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:22 AM   #37
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My parents loved the movies aswell...actually im surprised that they dont hate them now since i never shut up about them!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 01:41 AM   #38
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Don't listen to your elders. They're the same people who tell you not to do drugs. How can you trust their judgment after <I>that</I>?<P> <P>I've dragged my parents out to see the films, though. My father likes the cool action scenes, and my mother <I>says</I> she likes the dramatic tension and the wisdom that Tolkien poured into the stories, but we all know that she also likes Aragorn. Heh heh.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:02 AM   #39
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ok, well, my mum and dad didn't like the movie that much(they've only seen fotr) dad kept making comments during it, and though they were pretty funny they were still REALLY ANNOYING! Eg, When boromir cuts his finger on the shards of narsil and goes 'still sharp' dad comes out with, 'takes a simple experiment to figure that out...' etc, etc, I think they didnt like it that much because i built it up so much...one of my bros read the books before me...the other one constantly tells me that its for babies(anything he doesnt like is 'for two year olds'). <BR>I've gotten a wee bit predictable on the LotR front....if I'm at the computer, my mum doesnt even need to look at the screen, she just yells: 'Get of the bloomin' Barrow Downs!'<BR>My brother insists I have a section of my brain that processes all information to see if it in any way, no matter how distantly, relates to LotR, because I always say something about the books or movies at the end of every sentance...
Old 04-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #40
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Good night! LOTR is for two-year olds? Wierd brother. I think that if my dad hadn't read the books, he wouldn't have liked the movies. Figure that one out.....
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote