The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2002, 10:48 PM   #1
Ulairi
Pile O'Bones

Ulairi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting No offense but...

This forum has gone from a good one to a plce for people to complain about the everything from "PJ is a bad director" to "there was a glitch in the movie". And I see most of these are complaints from people who are mad because they weren't asked, "Sir, we are a making a movie based on Lord of The Rings and want to know in great detail how you, yourself alone envisioned this scene." Some people just care too much about it. Youe need to calm down just consider that maybe some people envisioned things differently than you. <P>And as for "PJ is a horrible director". He has to put a long, and incredibly detailed epic onto film. I personally think he did an amazing job doing and will continue with the next two films. You also have to keep in mind that the film must be interesting and easy to follow for people who never read the books before. I think the thing that did this the best was giving Arwen a larger role. Because people like us would be on the edge of our seats if every detail was exactly in the movie as was in the book. But others would be confused and bored if it was. <P>So in conclusion, anyway...it is a big time movie, therefore they needed to think of the majority, not the minority, like us, the fanatics.<P>Sorry to bother anyone or hurt any feelings but I really thought that needed to be said. And I think some will agree.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm not complaining, it's way better that he made the movie than to not have made it. Goooooood casting too!!!!!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 07:24 AM   #3
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I tend to agree. Furthermore, as seems to be happening, I find it sad that people would go to the movie just so that they could come back online and be able to nitpick about all the things they didn't like; and, people whining about TTT, when they haven't even seen it yet. That's downright silly. I've made this suggestion before, and I will do it again: if someone is unhappy with PJ's work on the first movie, he/she should boycott the final two films. That is what I do if I don't like something...I make sure that they don't see a dime of my money. <P>I disagree that the 'purists' would be on the edge of their seats if the movie unfolded 'note for note' from the book. I think that would be, on one level, fairly boring, because I would know exactly what was going to happen next...every step of the way. I liken what PJ did to jazz improv...variations on themes...with some interesting surprises.<P>FWIW, I think that PJ's FoTR is a masterpiece, albeit a <I>flawed</I> masterpiece. I <I>can</I> understand why certain people might not like it, and I can empathize. I was prepared to be quite disappointed with the film, and after my first viewing, I <I>was</I> both over and underwhelmed. After I had gotten through my own nitpicking, I found the film to be a breathtaking achievement. It is plain to see that everyone involved threw themselves into this project, heart and soul. That shines through quite clearly, from the attention to detail, to Shore's soundtrack, to the casting. I have a few quibbles with what I consider to be unnecessary changes, but, you know, I can live with those changes. They do not interfere with my enjoyment of the book, and the book does not interfere with my enjoyment of the movie. The voices and images in my head attached to each character have, for the most part, not been usurped by the actors in the film. I do have a slight tendency to see McKellen as Gandalf, but that is because he pulled his interpretation of the character right from my unconscious.<P>So, lucky me will get to see the film again at the local repertory theatre tomorrow. <P><I>I amar prestar aen!</I>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:18 AM   #4
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I agree with all the previous posts. There are various threads on the forum that are all to do with people disliking the movie, and basically it gets very irritating after a time. <P>~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-11-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I agree totally. There are some things you can disagree with (like Haldir dying ), but others should just be left alone. When has there ever been a movie that was based word-for-word on the novel? There is no way he could have possibly fit everything into one movie. All the non-Ringers would be upset and would leave as soon as there was mention of the hobbits leaving for home. I personally thought the movie was great and I am not one to rag on it.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:12 AM   #6
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Of course, it's not a matter of leaving out details or not, but of which details you choose to represent, and which you leave out. I find that Jackson's priorities were very different from my own in this respect, occasionally in ways that bothered me. My movie would probably have been much less exciting,and much less popular, of course, and I thought that most of what he did he did well. But perhaps this would be a more interesting way of framing discussions: considering alternate possibilities rather than the tactic of simply complaining. Is this what you're getting at?<P>--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:48 AM   #7
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I agree. No one can be perfect at making LOTR into a movie and PJ did an excellednt job. When you make a book into a movie, it's not going to be exactly how everyone imagined it and everything's not going to be the same. There might be a few glitches here and there, but overall the movie is very loyal to the book.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:05 PM   #8
CodithAmiode

Sting

I think Peter Jackson in amazing!!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:11 PM   #9
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

PJ ID DA BOMB!!!!!! he took that on knowing the consequences. A million ppl would luv him, while a million would hate his guts. I give him full marks for that. As for complaining, I have nothing to complain about! The movie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've probably seen it a million times! (As everyone already knows that I have it...) EW is hot...ssssssssss...
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 05:46 AM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You all know what your talking about! And I agree. I think that Peter got as close to perfet as a directer is alowed to go. YOu must remember that Peter is a lotr fan too. So he probably made alot of the movie on what he imagined and what he thought was important. And many times he hit the nail right on the head. I think the lotr is the most brillant combonation of humer, action, adventure, etc along with the ideas of loyalty, friendship, bravery, etc. <P>But that also doesn't mean that we shouldn't pick out a couple of things. We should be able to do a little picking over what we didn't like along with what we did like.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:23 AM   #11
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totally agree with you Rose, well said. (No need to say more...)
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:13 AM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe some people are getting bored having "talked out" the first movie, yet still waiting for the second one. Nit picking is a way to pass the time??? I LOVE that movie!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:14 PM   #13
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Caradhras has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Caradhras Send a message via AIM to Caradhras
Tolkien

Hey~<BR> I totally agree. I think he did a wonderful job with the movie. !!!!! I think it was right of you to post this !!! Laters~!

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/serv...tz/grommit.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/animals/bl_paw.gif
Caradhras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:53 AM   #14
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think we should be happy for the LotR-movie. As I already mentioned in the "(Sniffle) I'm Gonna Cry"-topic: Another of my favourite books, Clan of the Cave Bear, was also made into a movie, but <I>they</I> didn't just change a bit to make the movie exciting. They ripped the whole story into a million pieces and put them together in a way so different, they created a whole new story! FotR has the same characters, the same storyline and fairly all of the changes were necessary. (And with all of the rumors I've heard, I can hardly believe Haldir is seriously gonna die )
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote