The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #1
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

rudeboy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Whats with the 3 rings

When Sauron forged the One ring, the Elves perceived his plan, because they were wearing their 3 rings, which Sauron didn't know about. So Sauron couldn't control them! Now in the war of the ring, why is it that if Sauron (The Great) recovered the one he would be able to control them all again even the 3? What has changed, why cant the elves hide them again?
rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think it is implied that Sauron would have control over the bearers of the Three Rings, but rather that if he gained back the One Ring then the powers of the Three would be rendered at naught.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

rudeboy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No in FotR, Chpt 'shadow of the past', Gandalf says to Frodo, that "He will control them all again even the 3 wherever they be" So he will control them, but why couldn't he control them before, or why cant the elves take thm off and hide them again?
rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He couldn't control them before because he didn't have a hand in making them, whereas with the Nine and Seven he did. And the Elves couldn't hide them because he knew who had them and where they were.

And welcome to the Downs, rudeboy! Enjoy being dead.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe

I agree with Horse-Maiden of the Shire, before, he didn't know about them (where they were, who had them), but after so long he learned where and who had them hence allowing him to control him. Of course, this is pure speculation. If any one has any hard evidence, I would be pleased to hear it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

The 3 Rings were already forged, and Sauron wanted them (so he DID know they existed), so he created the One Ring!
Old 07-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron knew of the Three Rings and demanded them back, laying waste to Eregion in his attempt to get them (even killing poor Celebrimbor and using his body as a standard! An ignoble end for the last descendant of Fëanor...I won't go there!). The Elves hid them and did not use them while Sauron retained the Ruling Ring. They were unsullied (would not corrupt their wearers-my note here), having been made by Celebrimbor without Sauron's influence, and yet they were subject to the One Ring. When Sauron lost the One Ring, the Elves could use their 3 Rings, but if Sauron regained the One Ring while the Elves wore the 3, Sauron would instantly be aware of them. His Ring rules them all, after all!

I have often wondered if this is why Frodo can hear Gandalf's voice on Amon Hen when he is wearing the Ring. "Take off the Ring, fool!" The info about the 3 Rings I posted above is from "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" section of my copy of the Silmarillion. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote