The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #81
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I can't think of many at the moment, but I have to definitely say that anything that comes out of Pip's mouth is great. He's such a blonde in the movies, I love him.

I wanted to cry when I saw him cry in the ROTK preview, Pip just shouldn't cry!

"It comes in pints?! I'm getting one!"

"Don't talk to it Merry, you'll encourage it!"

"You'll need people of of intelligence on this mission, quest, thing.....where are we going?"

"It's Frodo! Frodo Baggins!"
Lumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 04:00 PM   #82
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Forgive me if this has been posted already, haven't seen it, but one of my all time favorite scenes/lines (really irks me that Jackson left it out/changed it--YES, I know it's partially 'cause they didn't have the scouring of the Shire--but ANYWAY...) is as follows:

Quote:
"For you, little gardener and lover of trees," she said to Sam, "I have only a small gift." She put into his hand a little box of plain grey wood, unadorned save for a single silver rune upon the lid.

"Here is set G for Galadriel, but also it may stand for garden in your tounge. In this box there is earth from my orchard. If you keep it and see your home again at last, then perhaps it may reward you. Though you should find all barren and laid waste, there will be few gardens in Middle Earth that will bloom like your garden, if you sprinkle this earth there. "
Sam went red to the ears and muttered something inaudible, as he clutched the box and bowed as well as he could.
Sam is such a dear....
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #83
Lomadia
Pile O'Bones

Lomadia has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ah, isn't Tolkien the best for beautiful quotes? My favorite is:

'I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, or the arrow for its swiftness, or the warrior for his glory...'
Lomadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #84
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite line in the books would have to be:
'Guthwine!' cried Eomer. 'Guthwine for the Mark!'
'Anduril!' cried Aragorn. 'Anduril for the Dunedain!'

From the movie would have to be when Wormtongue says "Late is the hour when this conjurer chooses to appear, Lathspell I name him, ill news is an ill guest." Then when Gandalf says "Be silent, keep your forked tongue behind your teeth, I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm."

I also like when Aragorn gives his speech before the Battle of Pelennor Fields from the ROTK trailer.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #85
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

In early FOTR, when Gandalf catches Merry and Pippin after they fire off the dragon-rocket:

"Meriadoc Brandybuck and Pippin Took--I might have known."

Ooops! Busted!
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 10-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #86
Avaniel

Tolkien

Yeah I like all of those mentioned. My fave would have to be "Would you like for me to describe it to you, or shall I find you a box?" I think that's funny.
And also "What's taters, hobbit? What's taters, eh?" "PO-TA-TOES!" I just love the look on Sam's face. I laugh every time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2003, 07:37 PM   #87
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Old 10-14-2003, 11:01 AM   #88
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Recording my favorite TTT movie quote is the easiest, though I haven't written it word for word here. It is when Sam and Frodo are in Osgiliath and Sam says something quite similar to:

"By all rights we shouldn't even be here."

Now did they do that on purpose or what?! That was a real wink to the book fans!

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #89
andreadawn
Pile O'Bones

andreadawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the scene where the orcs are carrying Merry and Pippin off to Isengard. One of the orcs gets whacked for suggesting they eat the Hobbits and then the big orc proclaims "Looks like meat's back on the menu boys." We"re always saying that around dinnertime here.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:05 PM   #90
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love the part in FotR (the book) where they are in Moria and Gandalf is reading from the book (paraphrased):
Quote:
" We cannot get out...They are coming."
Which is mirrored by Legolas and Gimli a minute or so later. I always found that very striking and was dissapointed that Legolas and Gimli's lines were not in the movie.

My favorite line from the movie would have to be Elrond at the Council when he says the ring has to be "cast into the firey chasm from whence it came."
Old 10-14-2003, 04:21 PM   #91
Avaniel

Sting

I like the one line that Gandalf says in the first movie, "Fly, you fools!" I thought that Frodo's reaction was kinda freaky. Who in their right mind would yell continuously? And they were the same words over and over! Sorry, kinda got carried away. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 08:13 PM   #92
Nurantien

Sting

When Gollum says:
"Cold be heart and hand and bone.
Cold be travellers far from home.
They do not see what lies ahead,
when sun has failed and moon is dead."

and the whole while Frodo is trying to talk to him but Gollum totally disregards him.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:01 AM   #93
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My most favorite quote from the books has to be one that is used a lot, but is one that I still love...
"Not all those who wander are lost"

I love this quote because it discribes me perfectly. From a distance it may look like I am wandering, but I always, always know exactly where I am and where I am going.

Quote:
Sam: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here...
Oh, gosh, I love this part of Sam's speech because every time I hear it I am like, "Yes, yes, you are so right, you shouldn't be here! Tolkien never wrote this? Stupid Peter Jackson why did you bring poor Sam and Frodo to Osgiliath?". That is why I love that quote so much [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 06:48 AM   #94
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Picking a favourite line is an imposible task. There are so many.
Lines that have made me smile, made me laugh, kept me awake at night for fear of what might come out of the dark, made me feel warm inside, brought tears to my eyes, grabbed hold of my heart and wrung it out.

One line I love is the last one: "Well, I'm back".
It says so much to me. Sam's back where he belongs, no longer a hero but a gardener, a father, a husband, a lover. He's back in a world were the magic has departed, except for the magic of ordinary life, the magic of love for wife and family and the magic of growing things.
For us readers, it means that the tale is told and we, like the Elves, must leave Middle Earth. We, too, are back where we belong.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:27 AM   #95
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Thanks Gorwingel, for getting Sam's movie quote down properly! I'm so looking forward to TTT extended version to hear why they felt they had to do that to Frodo (and also to see if the new material with Arwen/Elrond is explained).

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 10-15-2003, 03:01 PM   #96
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I fear I'm ashamed, being the Sam fan that I am, that I don't quite remember Sam's speech from this part, book or movie, but in both cases I like the little bit between Frodo and Sam at the end of it:

"You forgot the most important character, Sam."
"Who's that, Mr. Frodo?"
"Samwise the brave. "
..."Samwise the brave..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What about Sam, Dad? Frodo couldn't have made it very far without Sam, could he, Dad? I want to hear more of Sam's talk, it makes me laugh. "

"Now, Mr. Frodo, don't make fun. I was being serious."

"So was I."

(I know, it's paraphrased, but I don't feel like digging through the book right now....)
Old 10-15-2003, 07:41 PM   #97
ladyhwi
Newly Deceased

ladyhwi has just left Hobbiton.
Anything Sam says is sweet and wonderful.
That said my favorite quote or the one I most think about is this" The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it perhaps grows the greater." In the movie version it is spoken by Galadriel. In the book by Haldir of Lothlorien. It is well said for ME as well as our earth.
"I have not seen thy sunny face, Nor heard thy silver laughter: No thought of me shall find a place In thy young life's hereafter- Enough that now thou will not fail To listen to my fairy-tale." Lewis Carroll
ladyhwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #98
Bain The Brave

My favorite quote is maybe from The Hobbit,"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves." [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #99
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Yes Samwise, I like that bit with Sam and Frodo as well.

Quote:
Do right and risk the consequences
Nice signature there Bain The Brave! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #100
lady evenstar
Pile O'Bones

lady evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well my favorite line, or should I say story, is

"I can't do this, Sam."
"I know. It's all wrong. By rights, we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end...because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing...this shadow. Eben darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you...that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories...had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going...because they were holding on to something."
"What are we holding on to, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

This is at the end of The Two Towers movie when Frodo almost kills Sam. I think it's beatiful. It's so pretty.
And there's going to be this line in The Return of the King and Sam says
"His will was set, and only death could break it."
I think that's it.
lady evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:50 AM   #101
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ye all have such long and cool quotes mine is short and sweet.

"Gandalf, which way is it to mordor, left or right?"

Frodo to gandalf in the extended version of the fellowship
Old 10-20-2003, 09:48 PM   #102
Theoden
Pile O'Bones

Theoden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I mostly like the funny ones (well, sort of)... from the movies and books (only a few)

'Fool of a Took!'

'Stupid fat hobbit'

'Well, well, bless my beard!'

'Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes'
Old 10-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #103
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Reviving an old thread...

Here's one nobody's yet mentioned, which freaks me out every time I see it because Ian Holm is such a great actor.

"It's mine . . . my own . . . my PRECIOUS." - Bilbo

From the books:

"Did you think that the eyes of the White Tower were blind?" - Denethor

"Fresh fish and chips served by S. Gamgee. You couldn't say no to that." - Sam
"Yes, yes we could. Give me fish, and keep nassty chips!" - Gollum
"Oh, you're hopeless. Go to sleep!" - Sam

"I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had ever happened." - Frodo
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf (You'll pardon that last quote, as Gandalf's part may be slightly inaccurate; all I remember is him saying it in the movie)

"Elen sila lumenn omentialvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting." - Frodo

"And he who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

"Gibbets and crows! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn, where . . . brigands drink in the reek? Too long have they escaped the gibbet themselves!" - Saruman

"I will go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the party." - Pippin
"Then you will most certainly not be chosen, Peregrin Took!" - Gandalf

"Well, master, we're in a fix and no mistake." - Sam

From the movies:

"For Frodo." - Aragorn

"That still only counts as one!" - Gimli

"A diversion!" - Legolas (There's the ditzy Elf for ya. Like duh!)

"It could have been mine. It should be mine. Give it to me!" - Boromir (again, the way Sean Bean says that is so awesome!)

"This, my friend, is a pint." - Merry
"They come in pints? I'm getting one." - Pippin
"You've already had a whole half!" - Sam

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:27 AM   #104
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Movies:

"I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king.
-Boromir

"Now is the hour, riders of rohan, oaths you have taken, now fulfill them all to lord and land."
-Eomer

"Reform the lines, Reform the lines....Sound the charge...take them head on....CHARGE!"
-Theoden

"Sneaking! Sneaking! Poor Smeagol shows hobbits secret ways, that nobody else can find, and they says SNEAK! SNEAK!....yes, very nice friends precious, very nice friends."
-Gollum

Books

Gildor's and Frodo's boxing match

"Hobbits are dull."
-Gildor

"They also say, do not go to elves for advice, for they will say both yes, and no."
-Frodo

At the end of Round 1, it's Gildor-1, Frodo- 1.

Elladan, I thought most of the actors did an excellent job portraying their characters . Sean Bean was really good for Boromir, he has experience as being sort of that "villain" or character that not too many people admire. Chris Lee was also one who's just an irreplaceable actor for Saruman, his voice was absolutely perfect for Saruman, it was deep, and convincing, great for a Saruman who is a good persuader.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-13-2004 at 04:32 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #105
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

From the movies my favourite line is:
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me" (sorry if its not accurate because its off the top of my head) By Aragorn of course
From the books my favourite line is:
"Don't pretend goblins can't count. They can. Twelve isn't fifteen and they know it!" by Beorn!
Old 10-13-2004, 01:26 PM   #106
Lindo

Lately every time I approach the kitchen sink I chuckle over this book quote:

"They left the washing up for Lobelia."
Old 10-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #107
Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up My fave

Hmmm...

Movie :
Gandalf
Quote:
Tell me, friend, when did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for Madness??
Eowyn:
Quote:
I - am - no - man..
Books:
Quote:
And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds, tearing the clouds asunder, the Nazgul came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky the crackled, withered, and went out.
Quote:
To the dismay of those that stood by, about the body of Saruman a grey mist gathered, and rising slowly to a great height like smoke from a fire, as a pale shrouded figure it loomed over the Hill. For a moment it wavered, looking to the West; but out of the West came a cold wind, and it bent away, and with a sigh dissolved into nothing.

Amazing - the way one simple sentence can fire up So much imagination. The word Genius is such an understatement in my opinion.
~
Dwimmerlaik
Old 10-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #108
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Ok first off...basically anything Pippin or Merry said and just about any conversation they had. The writing for those two was absolutely, for lack of a better word, BRILLIANT! but other than that:

"I would rather spend one lifetime with you, than face all the ages of this world alone."

"There is some good in this world Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for!"

"I made a promise Mr. Frodo! A promise!! Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee! And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

"You bow to no one!"

"I may not be able to carry The Ring..but I can carry you!"

"So fair..so cold..like the mourning of pale spring stil clinging to winters chill."

"Too long have you watched my sister...Too long have you haunted her steps!"

"Shall I describe it to you...or would you like me to find you a box!"

"It's alright Sam...Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one."
"Does she!?"

And many many more but maybe some other night.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 AM   #109
Mark
Pile O'Bones

Mark has just left Hobbiton.
The quote that I liked most would probably be in ROTK.

Quote:
Gimli: Small chance of success, certantity of death, what are we waiting for?
am against the world.
|+|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|+|
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #110
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
From the books:

Quote:
'Are you going to bury me?' said Merry.
then when Gandalf sees Merry:
Quote:
'He should have been borne in honour into this city,' he said.
those lines always make me cry....

and Frodo:
Quote:
We're going on a bit too fast. You and I, Sam, are still stuck in the worst places of the story, and it is all too likely that some will say at this point: "Shut the book now, dad; we don't want to read any more." '
always sends a shiver down my spine.

From the films:

The monolouge Frodo speaks as we see him back at Bag End. It is heartbreaking.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:58 AM   #111
Oceanic

One from the movie:

Quote:
Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!!
- Gandalf
I love the anger in that and the way Gandalf grows bigger as the room gets darker. Not to mention the great look on Bilbo's face and the way he backs off.

Three from the books that come to mind, strangely enough all said in Rivendell:

Quote:
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
- Gandalf
Quote:
When winter first begins to bite,
And stones crack in the frosty night,
when pools are black and trees are bare,
'tis evil in the wild to fare.

- Bilbo
Quote:
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
- Gimli
I could probably find more if I put my mind to it, those are ones that stood out for me.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:10 AM   #112
Umwë
Animated Skeleton

Umwë has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Umwë
My fav. line that I can come up with for the moment is from the movies. It's from RotK;
Quote:
"That still counts as one!!"

-Gimli, when Legolas slays a Mumakil all by himself
Old 11-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #113
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Any time that Frodo says Gandalf in the movies makes me laugh. Think about it. In the Mines of Moria after Gandalf falls, Frodo goes "Gandalf!!" and then when Frodo wakes up in bed in Minas Tirith at the end of ROTK and goes"Gandalf?!"

Then one of my all time favorites, "A wizard is never late Frodo Baggins, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

And also if you watch ROTK the bed scene which I mentioned above and Merry and Pippin jump on the bed and then Merry does sort of a swan dive onto the bed. Then next shot is a close up of Frodo's face but you can see the profiles of Dominic Monaghan (merry) and Billy boyd (pippin) and Billy looks like he says "What was that?" (I assume he is referring to Dom's little belly flop) and then he says something else after that and I can't for the life of me figure out what he says and I really want to know! If I ever met those two that would be the first thing I would ask them. but any way back to the quotes.

My all time favorite quote is Onen i-estel Edain, u-chebin estel anim, because it's so hauntingly beautiful; an inescapable doom is upon her. (It translates to; I gave my hope to the Edain, I have kept no hope for myself).

Last edited by AbercrombieOfRohan; 11-29-2004 at 07:49 PM. Reason: change of signature
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #114
Thinelen

My favourite line is definitely

"Don't go where I can't follow"

(Sam to Frodo in Rotk)
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 PM   #115
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My favorites:

"Not all those who wander are lost."

"I am Aragorn son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will."

"Use well the days!" ~ Galadriel

"Saruman, your staff is broken." ~ Gandalf

"Hail Gurthang, Iron of Death! Thou alone now remainest. But what lord or loyalty dost thou know save the hand that wieldeth thee? From no blood wilt thou shrink! Wilt thou therefore take Túrin Turambar? Wilt thou slay me swiftly?" ~ Túrin Master of Doom by doom mastered. My brother likes that quote and he hasn't even read the Silmarillion yet.

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote