The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's not magic; it's the future!

You've must have heard the quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," attributed to Arthur C. Clarke by now. What it's saying is that, some artifact may appear to be magical, but that may be due to our lack of understanding on how it works. For example, many of you carry incredibly powerful technology on your person and think nothing of it - the cell phone. Take one of these devices - especially one with a cool touch screen - back into the past, say about sometime in the 1970's. To those inhabitants of that time, the device that you show them is 'magical' (or maybe 'futuristic,' given the era), as it's like nothing that they've seen. Smaller than a TV, colour screen at incredible resolution, able to transport voice, text and images across space (note that for an adequate demonstration, you might want to bring two phones and a bunch of cell towers and a link to the future's internet), GPS, etc.

You think nothing of it; your time ancestors think it incredible. Little do they know that one day they will receive and *ignore* messages about how they can buy one of these little devices CHEAP!

Anyway, with this in mind, I would like to list out any and all magical artifacts found in the confines of Arda, and indicate that they weren't really magic, but just from a different time such as ours.

For example:
  • Palantíri - cell phones with video conferencing technology
  • Phial of Galadriel - flash light
  • The Black Arrow - a handheld surface-to-air self-guided missile

Any other examples? Disagree with mine? Think of something that is still magical, even in this age?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Watchers of Minas Morgul -- home/business surveillance and security system.

Interesting topic. I shall have to ponder it more....
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Think of something that is still magical, even in this age?
Frodo's decision.

Sam's loyalty.

The love of Arwen and Aragorn.

The friendship of Legolas and Gimli.

The Ents--and Old Man Willow.

Tom and Gol--erm, no, I better not go there.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Now I don't in any way believe any of this but it was just too tempting

(so sorry Bethb!!)

Frodo's decision. - Gandalf's hypnotism

Sam's loyalty. - outmoded Feudal kowtowing, he'll be firsst up against the wall when the revolution comesss, classssss traitor my preciousssssss!

The love of Arwen and Aragorn. - Rohypnol

The friendship of Legolas and Gimli. - modern day politically correct multiculturalism

The Ents--and Old Man Willow. - GM crops gone mad

Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh silly me! Here I thought our biologist alatar was asking for scientific/technological explanations, not modern cynicism.

The Door to Moria -- evolutionary stimulus for the Babel fish
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Think that Bb has us a wee bit off track.

The West Door of Moria could be simply a voice-activated door keyed to a specific word.

For Bill the Pony, we could just have a pony or the "Big Dog" four-legged walking robot. Similarly, Dwarves could be technology-enhanced humans. There's a framework that one can wear that allows the wearer to carry much heavier loads than normal possible. A person can move while wearing this structure as onboard computers assist.

Still, even with our advanced technology, one can only be 'so pretty,' and so we may never achieve elfdom.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Still, even with our advanced technology, one can only be 'so pretty,' and so we may never achieve elfdom.
I think an allusion to walking on/in custard is relevant at this point.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
I think an allusion to walking on/in custard is relevant at this point.
Here we go...I assume we're speaking of snow angels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
The love of Arwen and Aragorn.
I assume you mean 'undying love between a mortal and a hot non-mortal.' Well, with the advent of a robotic runway model coupled with a Canadian who built himself a robotic girlfriend, in a few years you should be able to order your undying She-Elf (or Ranger) to accompany you through life until the day you die (or until you forget to replace the batteries, or the thing goes rogue).

What bliss!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The frightening effect of the advent of the Nazgul - and it is said the shriek of them was the thing men had to fly away from.

Every upgraded police-force - and some ships sailing near the Somalian coastline - have these sonic weapons which force people to back away in horror as the sound just feels like it bursts their brain into pieces.

Elvish blades that sense orcs - any modern sensory equipment that senses movement at certain radius and/or scents. The orcs would actually smell something of their own and it shouldn't be hard to built a sensor detecting that strong a smell today.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Think that Bb has us a wee bit off track.
Quote:
I assume you mean 'undying love between a mortal and a hot non-mortal.' Well, with the advent of a robotic runway model coupled with a Canadian who built himself a robotic girlfriend, in a few years you should be able to order your undying She-Elf (or Ranger) to accompany you through life until the day you die (or until you forget to replace the batteries, or the thing goes rogue).

What bliss!
You think I put us off track and then you go linking to a Faux News story? Suuuurrrre.

It would appear this won't include family fecundity just yet, so perhaps it still requires some tinkering. And just think of the free will discussions it would lead to.

Sailing west: Launching ashes into space
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Alatar's post reminded me of this long held theory of mine regarding the true origins of the Silmarilli and Palantiri...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...0&postcount=64

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...0&postcount=27

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #12
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
You think I put us off track and then you go linking to a Faux News story? Suuuurrrre.
Well then, there's this link as well. Note that I'm not implying that Canadian men must resort to this extreme behaviour in order to get a date due to lack of available or suitable companions...

Quote:
It would appear this won't include family fecundity just yet, so perhaps it still requires some tinkering. And just think of the free will discussions it would lead to.
Yet. And at least Arwen went away and died after Aragorn passed. What would one do with a robot mate? The trash bin would seem a bit harsh. But to keep them around, with all of the legal issues (especially of they have inherited estates), might be bothersome as well.

Welcome to the future, I guess (and it seems that it's dawning a bit sooner up north there).

And sailing West? Why, that's going to America, the Blessed Realm, of course.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Alatar's post reminded me of this long held theory of mine regarding the true origins of the Silmarilli and Palantiri...
Too funny Mith! What you seem to be saying that, whether magic or technology, having a wife is the mother of invention...or something.

"Hunny? Wanna here about my day?"

"Sorry hon; gotta go out to the shed and make something magical."

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Too funny Mith! What you seem to be saying that, whether magic or technology, having a wife is the mother of invention...or something.

"Hunny? Wanna here about my day?"

"Sorry hon; gotta go out to the shed and make something magical."

Indeed - after all there is evidence for this in our world - Haydn apparently wrote so many string quartets because he was unhappily married and it got him out of the house in the evenings.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Samson.Real5

Agree with you Alatar

I agree with you Alatar its only communication between one person to another. And Its just shows immorality.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 08-19-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Link removed by moderator