The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Paths of the Dead cut??????Spoilers

Here's something shocking about ROTK from theonering.net: <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1052637533" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1052637533</A> <P>So far PJ dosn't seems to be staying faithfull for the final instalment.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Let the ranting and fury begin. <P><BR>Why??<BR>Iarwain
Old 05-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Gildor15 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just because they cut the Paths of the Dead from the game doesn't mean they'll leave it out of the movie. They have to make the game simple enough for the average PS2 owner to understand. The Paths of the Dead is sort of a vague part of the book anyway.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

True, Gildor15, and welcome to the Downs. Enjoy your deadness. The Two Towers game didn't stay exactly true the movie either. Since when did Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli save a burning village in Rohan and destroy those 'explosive devices'? However, if the paths of the dead are cut, there's gonna be some serious $#!@ flying toward Peter Jackson.<p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]
Old 05-11-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Do you honestly think that PJ, Mr. "I love horror", will cut the Paths of the Dead from the movie? He lives for moments like these!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

Great point Tigerlily.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:14 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We have already heard many times that the Paths of the Dead are in. I don't think we need to worry. It also would add great suspense (instead of suspense that was not in the book - like Aragorn almost dying) because the people who have not read the book will be like "Paths of Dead! oh no, does that mean they are going to die?" Imagine all the Orlando Bloom fans who have not read the book, they are going to be freaking out.<P>Off topic: Hey Tigerlily, welcome back! I have been worried a little bit because you have not been around here for a while. You are such a great member of the forum <p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 05-11-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I agree totally with Tigerlily. He'd sacrifice aany part for a bit of horror, and here he's got it. My only concern is what they'll make the dead look like...<P>~Menelien
Old 05-11-2003, 07:34 PM   #9
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Really, I'm not exactly prepared for a disturbing rampage of partially decomposed corpses in tattered clothes. The mere thought makes me shudder.<P>Iarwain
Old 05-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Thanks Gorwingel... just been busy with my last year of college and all.<P>I am kinda hoping that they don't look too much like the dead in the swamps. Especially not like when Frodo was under water. I kinda pictured mistier looking versions of warriors when I read the book.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #11
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Really, I'm not exactly prepared for a disturbing rampage of partially decomposed corpses in tattered clothes. The mere thought makes me shudder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am kinda hoping that they don't look too much like the dead in the swamps. Especially not like when Frodo was under water. I kinda pictured mistier looking versions of warriors when I read the book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I don't think PJ'll make them too gross or graphic. After all, he has to be able to maintain the PG-13 rating. I always pictured the 'dead' as being a bit opaque & misty, with a very slight glow about them. It wasn't so much the <B>look</B> of the dead that was so terrifying, but their <B>feel</B>.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #12
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

He'll probably have to use spooky music or sound effects for the feel. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Really, I'm not exactly prepared for a disturbing rampage of partially decomposed corpses in tattered clothes. The mere thought makes me shudder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's not quite what I meant... <P>~Menelien
Old 05-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #13
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

The paths of the dead scenes will probably resemble the dead soldiers in the dead marshes scenes. Whether I like that idea or not, I don't know. My friends and I thought that ol' PJ could have done the dead marshes a tad bit better, being a horror guru and all.<BR>Oh well, it's not like any of us have any choice but to put all of our faith into Peter Jackson anyways...<BR>Prepare for the worst and hope for the best I guess.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:11 PM   #14
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I hope PJ won't cut the Paths of the Dead - not that it's a favorite part of the book of mine but I am hoping against hope that if the Paths are included we'll also get to see Elladan and Elrohir as well as the Grey Company!<P><I>*crosses her fingers and REAAAAAAAAAAALLY hopes*</I>
Old 05-11-2003, 09:48 PM   #15
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am hoping against hope that if the Paths are included we'll also get to see Elladan and Elrohir as well as the Grey Company!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>Oh yeah!!</B> My two favorite elves...and Halbarad, too!! That would be <B>awesome</B>!!
Old 05-12-2003, 05:28 AM   #16
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The paths of the dead have to be in the movie! And i hope to god that Elladan and Elrohir are in it, they are my favourite elves too!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:15 AM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Read the <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1052637533" TARGET=_blank>whole post</A> there guys. This spoiler is pretty much debunked. Here's a quote.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Update:<P>Well, I said I was unconvinced by a Gaming report alone, and here's a counter from a much more credible source. John points out that Brian Sibley's "The Making of the Movie Trilogy" contains a reference to Paths of the Dead on page 61. It says:<P><BR>"Time to go on," says Richard, "time to take the paths of the Dead!" <P>And we are passing between sculpted rock walls in black styrofoam carved with a riot of ruined buildings -- steps, doorways, towers, and turrets -- all this way and that, and each numbered with a small yellow sticker and pained a luminous green for the purposes of digital photography.<P><BR>Additionally, Argo from our Discussion Boards points out this Gamespot review of the same game.<P>From Gamespot.com, a very good gaming site;<P>"After the defeat of Saruman and the forces of Isengard, the attention of the broken Fellowship of the Ring has turned collectively toward Mordor and the final destruction of the One Ring. You'll be able to play as eight different characters in various areas taken directly from the movie, such as Gandalf as he helps defend Minas Tirith during the Battle of the Pellennor Fields; Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli as they traverse the Paths of the Dead; and Frodo and Sam as they strive to reach the fiery cracks of Mount Doom while opposed by the evil hosts of Mordor" <P>Perhaps IGN was mistaken?<P>Update 2: Ringer Spy Tar Anaclime sends this scan of a section of a map the NZ Film Commission produced which lists all the set locations from Lord of the Rings. Note it lists Paths of the Dead twice.<P>Unless something else emerges, I guess we can count the report of the deletion of the Paths of the Dead pretty much debunked ... for now. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>As was mentioned at the start of the OneRing report, video games make pretty unreliable spoiler information as the people that write the promos likely know little about the book or the film and often get facts wrong. My guess is that this writer confused Paths of the Dead with the Dead Marshes.<P>So relax and continue on with your regularly scheduled programs.<P>H.C.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:04 PM   #18
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Thank you for the articles, it told us a lot <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Oh yeah!! My two favorite elves...and Halbarad, too!! That would be awesome!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> God, and I thought I was the only person who liked Halbarad... don’t even try to ask me why, but he’s my favorite character. But I don’t want him in the movie. They’ll screw him up and I’ll be really angry and there is hardly a chance that they’ll do him exactly like I want them to, and that would be important to me.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #19
Orome
Wight

Orome has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orome
Sting

Were the Twins mentioned in the FOTR? I cant remember if they were in it. I guess its time to watch again.
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #20
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

You don't have to watch it, I'll tell you : they weren't. <P>~Menelien
Old 05-12-2003, 05:12 PM   #21
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

PJ's gonna end up with alot of angry, hard core, completly ****ed off lord of the rings fans if he cuts the Paths of the Dead, and the Army of the Dead . Even though it is such a small part it is huge! Without the Army of the Dead, Aragorn would never have made it to Minas Tirith in time to save the city!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:27 PM   #22
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

The twins were not mentioned in FOTR... but if I am not mistaken they were seated on either side of Elrond at the Council.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:20 PM   #23
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Ring

Hey Frodo Brandybuck,<BR>I really don't give a rats a** what else PJ screws up because I'm really angry about TTT screen adaption. That doesn't mean I won't buy the special edition dvd and watch it 100 times over; I'm just dissapointed. That's all.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:09 PM   #24
Orome
Wight

Orome has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orome
Sting

Ok, because he did not include the Twins in the movie i strongly doubt he will introuduce them for the final movie. It would be too complex for the average stupid person who has not read the book.
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #25
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Well, quite a few people on here haven't read the books, so that might be a bit offensive to them. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The twins were not mentioned in FOTR... but if I am not mistaken they were seated on either side of Elrond at the Council. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I would love it if they had been, because I liked them in the books, but I read in an official thingmabob that they weren't. <P>~Menelien
Old 05-13-2003, 09:37 PM   #26
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

kinda off topic sorry<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> God, and I thought I was the only person who liked Halbarad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>hes not my favorite charecter but he is one of mine.<BR>Wihses he would be in it.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:27 PM   #27
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
The Paths of the Dead will be in ROTK!<P>Go <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/multifandoms1/PathsROTK1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>here</A> to see a pic from it!<P>According to <A HREF="http://lordoftherings.net" TARGET=_blank>Lord of the Rings</A> the picture above is from the start of the Paths of the Dead - so we will be getting to see that in the movie!!!!<p>[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 05-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #28
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

YAY!!!!!!!<BR>*Does a dance around the room*<P>THIS IS THE BEST NEWS IVE HAD IN A LONG TIME!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:46 PM   #29
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yes! I know, isn't that great? The only problem is that Peter is going to leave out Elladan and Elrohir. So far, I haven't seen any mention of them in the cast lists, and he's probably going to use the same excuse for them as he did with Glorfindel. "People will be confused by that many characters!" That's so unfair!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #30
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are a few Paths of the Dead pictures floating around and the only characters that can be seen in any of them are Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. It sure looks like they walk the paths alone. If the twins are there it will be as a couple of un-named, dark haired elves with Arwen that will likely be given the names Figwat and Figwot by the internet community. <P>H.C.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:55 PM   #31
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I will personally smite those who assign the random dark-haired Elves immature nicknames like that. I think that it is insulting to give people names like Figwit. I mean, if you're going to give him a nickname, at least give him a Sindarin nickname!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote