The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Question Why were Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir chosen?

I read FOTR a while ago and the movie didn't quite answer my questions... Why were Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir chosen to be part of the Fellowship over the others at the Council of Elrond? There were other elves, dwarves, and men there... so why them?
Old 05-12-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir was prolly chosen because of the dream that sent him to Rivendell in the first place.
Quote:
Seek for the sword that was broken:
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be councils taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That Doom is near at hand,
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the halfling forth shall stand.
-FOTR, pg 323
I think Elrond and the council saw this as fate choosing a companion for the Fellowship.

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:41 PM   #3
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli was the emmissary of Dain Ironfoot, a great leader of dwarves, so it figured to send someone Dain obviously trusted to represent the dwarves. As for Legolas, he was searching for something (which he found near the sea) but he was a visiting elf, son of Thranduil of Mirkwood. He again fits the profile- important, capable. As importantly, the elves at Rivendell were a part of Elronds' household for the most part. Glorfindel and other Lords were probably too powerful to go- they would be seen by Sauron. Everyone at Rivendell was probably too caugth up in their life there to leave.
That's how I see it
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, Elrond was going to send someone from his household, but Pippin and Merry were dead set on going, so he allowed them to go instead.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

You can be sure that it was not because they had virtues that others did not possess. But other than that, they were the ones who were there.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir were sen in case the fellowship ran out of food
Old 05-12-2002, 07:23 PM   #7
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
I dunno, there's not much meat on Legolas's bones, and Gimli might be a bit stringy. Love the cannibalistic emoticons, there! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #8
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I worry about you people sometimes..... I need to remember to leave the BD parties once the food runs out!

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: Niere-Teleliniel ]

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:56 PM   #9
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli, Legolas and Boromir were sent because they all arrived with news, or for counsel, just before the Council of Elrond, so it seemed they were involved in these matters by fate, just as Frodo was. Also, they were all leaders of the younger generation: Legolas son of the king, Gimli son of Gloin of Lonely Mountain quest, Boromir, son of the ruler of Gondor. Young enough to go questing, but leader enough to represent their kindreds. It would have made sense to send Glorfindel, but I think Elrond suspected that the north would be attacked and they'd need their leaders. The fellowship already had Gandalf. Then, there's that '9' thing.

Now stop that, Gimli. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] It is indeed a striking cannibal-smiley movie you've created there-- I remember it from the other thread. Now, I want to see a nice, sweet Mom-tucks-smiley-son-into-bed movie -- please? Or how about small-french-poodle-smiley-does-back-flip-and-gets-smiley-treat? How about that, huh? That licking-of-chops smiley gives me the shivers.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 08:07 PM   #10
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I worry about you people sometimes
Only sometimes?

Bawh Hawh Hawh Hawh Hawh [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hmmm: how about this thought as well: fate?

Do you think that the four hobbits could have all ended up together because of fate? I thought of it that way because each character came in use on their own somewhere. I decided that, when I read the books last time, that it was a lot of fate, personally. Each one DID have a reason, but...the fact that they all ended up together...
Old 05-24-2002, 06:18 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I thought Legolas and Gimli were chosen because they were younger than other Elves and Dwarves and would therefore find it easier to get along with each other, not being caught up in the Elf/Dwarf feud and all.
Boromir wouldn't have gone all the way to Mount Doom. He was going back to Minas Tirith anyway and would accompany the others until the path divided.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:17 AM   #13
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I have always found it amazing that everyone praises Sam in his role of support to Frodo but people always seem to forget what role Legolas and Gimli played in supposting Aragorn.

Legolas has a distinct but subtle role as an encourager to Aragorn. Remember when a gloomy mood settled over Aragorn when he was trying to decide to take the Paths of the Dead? Legolas was the first to say he would go with him.

And he was the one to comfort him in his choice.
Quote:
Together they went back into the Burg; yet for some time Aragorn sat silent at the table in the hall, and the others waited for him to speak. "Come!" said Legolas at last. "Speak and be comforted, and shake off the shadow!"
And Gimli showed incredible insight when he realized the reason for the dark mood.
Quote:
"You have looked in that accursed stone of wizardry!" exclaimed Gimli wht fear and astonishment on his face.
And again though reminded by all around him(Aragorn) that the living may not use the Paths of the Dead Legolas asks a simple question
Quote:
"And what may be the words of the seer?"
reminding Aragorn not to listen to the "nay-sayers".

Legolas and Gimli may have had subtle roles but they are necessary and significant.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 05-24-2002, 11:55 AM   #14
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that at least the hobbits came along because of their friendship, but also because they "were meant to go". Gandalf says, that Bilbo was "meant to find the ring", suggesting that higher powers were involved. I think it makes good sense, since Gandalf would be the first to know. It is not by coincidence, that Boromir had a dream, that Legolas came to report that Gollu, had fled at the same time as Gimli came to consult Elrond. They were meant to come together.

And I agree with you, Raefindel that Gimli and Legolas is a great support to Aragorn. It is clear how close they are and how much their friendship means to each other.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:32 PM   #15
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Thank You, Daniel.

Can you imagine what would have happened if Aragorn had not had the support of friends? Would he have had the courage to choose the Paths of the Dead at all? Would there have been victory on Pellanor Fields if Aragorn had not brought the dead to fight? Would the king have returned at all? Legolas and Gimli's support indirectly affected the entire fate of the war.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:12 PM   #16
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Now stop that, Gimli. It is indeed a striking cannibal-smiley movie you've created there-- I remember it from the other thread. Now, I want to see a nice, sweet Mom-tucks-smiley-son-into-bed movie -- please? Or how about small-french-poodle-smiley-does-back-flip-and-gets-smiley-treat? How about that, huh? That licking-of-chops smiley gives me the shivers.
What about theese? BTW, I didn't make them I got them off this site.

This one is my all time favorite, if you have a weak stomach, don't look.
|
|
V

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]
Old 12-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #17
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Wasn't Legolas chosen because he was the Prince of Imladris? My thinking might be off though.

Burzdol
Old 12-14-2003, 12:12 PM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Burzdol, Legolas was most definiely NOT a Prince of Imladris. He was the Prince of Mirkwood, being the son of its King, Thranduil. In his case and that of Gimli, I think it was mainly being in the right place at the right time. They were merely the first Elf and Dwarf to volunteer for the Quest, and considering their skills, Elrond or anyone else had no reason to refuse them.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #19
blablabla

Sting

they wer chosen to represent the free peoples of middle earth

man
dwarf
elf
Old 12-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #20
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gimli was the youngest dwarf present. In fact, wasn't Glóin the only other dwarf present? Legolas was probably chosen as being expendable from Elrond's point of view. He wasn't too keen on sending Glorfindel! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Would he have had the courage to choose the Paths of the Dead at all?
In a word, yes. At least, Aragorn did say he would take the Paths of the Dead alone, if need be. Very nice point about the crucial help that Legolas and Gimli gave to him, though. I hadn't fully noticed that before, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the book a little bit more this time around because of it!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #21
Lost One
Haunting Spirit

Lost One has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, Elrond might well have chosen Glorfindel to go. He was against Merry and Pippin going (because, quite rightly, he foresaw trouble in the Shire, and wanted them to return to deal with it), and he was considering members of his own household, the most prominent of whom were Glorfindel and his sons. It was Gandalf who nixed this, saying Glorfindel would not be able to open the road to Mordor despite his great power (I paraphrase). Perhaps Glorfindel was 'supposed' to go - he was an experienced balrog-killer, after all! He and Gandalf together would surely have seen the rickety old creature off, and the rest of the journey might have been much easier!
Lost One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:56 PM   #22
Sir Elvomir of Fennelherst

Shield

I believe that after Frodo had offered to take the ring, Aragorn chose to defend Frodo because he knew how important it was that the ring didn't get into the hands of Sauron again. Legolas seemed eager to join along side Aragorn because he was to be king, and so was Legolas, thus making a good bond between the Kingdoms of man and elf. Gimli joined because he didn't want the fate of the ring in the hands of an elf. Boromir went along because he wanted the ring for use in battle againist the enemy. Boromir probably planned to steal the ring from Frodo, which he attempted at the Falls of Rauros. Peregrin(Pippin) and Meriadoc(Merry) joined along because they refused not to go without Frodo.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:46 AM   #23
Lost One
Haunting Spirit

Lost One has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sir Elvomir - I think you have imported too much from the film version into this argument. In the book Elrond selects most of the Nine Walkers off-screen. There is no suggestion of a significant prior friendship between Aragorn and Legolas; the dwarves nowhere announce themselves worried about the elves getting the Ring; and Boromir has to travel home the same way as the Fellowship anyway.
Lost One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:02 AM   #24
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
As for Legolas, he was searching for something (which he found near the sea)
What exactly? I must have missed this part when I read the book..
Old 12-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #25
Wilwarin Bluemoon

Sting

Actually Lost one there was a friendship between Legolas and Aragorn before the 3018TA because its says somewhere in the books that Aragorn gave Legolas his daggers as a gift long before.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #26
TheSquireof Aragorn
Animated Skeleton

TheSquireof Aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Boromir went because he had to go that way anyway. The dream wasn't his, it was Faramir's. Gimli and Legolas went to represent their kindreds.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #27
blablabla

Sting

they are the three free peoples of middle earth

dwarf
elf
and man
Old 12-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #28
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legs may also have volunteered to make amends for losig Gollum, now at large and hunting the Ringbearer.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:43 PM   #29
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Wilwarin, do you have a quote to back that up? I don't recall reading anywhere that Legolas and Aragorn had met up before, and became friends. From a practical point of view, it is possible that they met, but I don't believe that it is explicitly stated in canon that they were friends. Neither is it stated that Aragorn gave Legolas daggers. Tolkien wouldn't have written something that specific unless those daggers actually DID something, which, they didn't. They were just weapons. They didn't influence the story in any way, at least not like Anduril did.

I'd also love to know what Legolas was searching for by the sea. To the best of my knowledge, Legolas wasn't "searching" for anything. When he got to the Sea, with the Grey Company, the Sea-longing came upon him (just as it came upon almost all the Elves), and he began to long to sail West to Aman. He wasn't "searching" for anything.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:03 AM   #30
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Sting

Well, very interesting to hear about where Legolas got his knives from. Interesting, because in the book Legolas has a knife, singular, not knives plural. I don't mean to be rude, however. I worry constantly myself about how the movies have warped my memory of real (by which I mean book) events.

Which is why I'm re-reading it. Legolas and Gimli are said to be willing to accompany the Ringbearer,
Quote:
at least as far as the passes of the mountains
I think that the fact their homes were not in Rivendell was a major factor. They were going the long way home so as to accompany Frodo, but eventually decided to stick with the Fellowship the entire way. I think somewhere Lebennin, Legolas probably remembered that his dad was waiting at home for some message from Rivendell... doh! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 08:45 AM   #31
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The dream was both Boromir and faramir's. Boromir never meant to go to Mordor in the book. Aragorn was going ot Minas Tirith with him, but "our roads will lie together for hundreds of miles." Gimli and Gloin were the only dwarves there, and Gloin was kind of old. Maybe Elrond chose Legolas to "promote untiy among elven-kind." Oh! I know! lrond was trying to get Legolas killed, because Legolas stole his special frying pan!!!
Sorry. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 09:18 AM   #32
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Or maybe his hair brush? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Legolas and Gimli were chosen to represent their kindreds(sp?). Because their homes were over the Misty Mts. it was on their way home anyway so if they decided to leave the quest they would be closer to home.(Obviously, they didn't leave) Also Elrond would have sent other elves, I think, except that Merry and Pippin volunteered. Boromir was chosen because, as was already said, "their paths were together for many hundreds of miles".
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:35 AM   #33
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

Simple question:
Why didn't Elrond push to have one of his sons, or at least one of his house, go with the Fellowship?

I might be anwering myself in trying to answer someone else. Ah well. Perhaps the reason why the Fellowship's number was limited to nine (other than the simple fact that they had to keep it relatively small) was to match the strength of the Nazgul? There isn't any physical proof to the notion, but it's been a fancy of mine since I saw FotR on the big screen. Maybe it has something behind it.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:01 AM   #34
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The Company of the Ring shall be Nine; and the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil." Sure sounds like it, Reyna.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:29 AM   #35
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nine is big enough to protect Frodo, whihc is one aim, yet small enough to be secret (soemthing LEornd says s v. important, obviously).

Elros and Elrohir DO go later, to join Aragorn on the Paths of the Dead.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:34 PM   #36
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Silmaril

Elladan and Elrohir came into the picture later. They left Rivendell because they wanted to be a part of the war. Possibly the task of accompanying the Ringbearer was a bit too dreary for them, or so they thought. They might have been more suited to all-out battle than to sneaking around with the Fellowship.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #37
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Or... they had other duties to do, during the Council of Elrond, and thus, couldn't make it to the Council. In the Books, I don't believe that it says that they are present. I suppose if they were, then things would have gone slightly differently. But by the time the Grey Company needed to ride, they weren't needed in the defense of Imladris any more, because Elrond knew that what was happening in the South was of utmost importance, and that Aragorn needed as much help as he could get.