The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #1081
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Snow and sunshine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Thinlomien for sharing her portkey to the downs - and many other reasons ...
I second both!!!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #1082
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign being assigned to Shire. It sure makes the morning better.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #1083
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign the Helsinki metropolitan area library service.

I have had the French Fellowship of the Ring loaned since September or October and this far, I've renewed the loan five times, which is the maximum. So on Monday, I went to a library, rather sad, for I hadn't managed to finish the book and I had to return it. Besides, I had just picked it up again and I had the feeling I would finish it soon if I could just keep it for a week or two. I went to the desk and paid some old debts *mumbles something about returning books a bit late*. Then I asked the librarian about the FotR. She said I can't renew the loan anymore, because the book has to return to the library after five renewals. However, as I had the book with me (as I had intended to return it), she just looked that it was ok, apparently made some marking on the library database and I was allowed to loan the book again right then. I love flexible systems and user-friendly service, especially as they are quite rare these days.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #1084
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
That's nice. I just today had a very similar experience with returning books whose loan time I extended for the maximum, and still didn't finish one of them. But I must point out something in reaction to you:
Quote:
I went to the desk and paid some old debts *mumbles something about returning books a bit late*.
Because I also noticed in the library a cut-out article from the newspaper with the title provocatively aiming on all visitors of the library, saying: "A woman arrested for not returning books." So Lommy, watch out
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #1085
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
However, as I had the book with me (as I had intended to return it), she just looked that it was ok, apparently made some marking on the library database and I was allowed to loan the book again right then. I love flexible systems and user-friendly service, especially as they are quite rare these days.
We have the same system here - it is ok for you to renew the book more if it isn't reserved, they just have to see it to know you aren't returning it because it is lost or damaged...

I have 2 books I need to find quickly because otherwise it will cost me a fortune .

I assign singing in a choir. I went to a "come and sing" performance of The Crucifixion last night and it was wonderful. I was a bit rusty though.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-22-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #1086
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Soapboxes, on luxuriously lazy and leisureful holidays.

And now that spring is finally sprung, I embrace its hope and hope that someday soon our mountains of snow will melt.

Happy Easter/Equinox to all the Downers. This too belongs in The Shire.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #1087
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And a very happy what ever is culturally appropriate to you too, most Shire-worthy Bethberry...

Old 03-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #1088
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Meeting up with a friend and managing to completely avoid being rained/sleeted/snowed on.

Also, the appearance of some snow! It's been a while ... since Finland probably.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #1089
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Good company and good food!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #1090
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Finding out the Rhododendron bush that your mom has had since she was nine is named, 'Mr. Frodo'.

What makes it even more interesting is that she's never read the lotr trilogy. Hmmm.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #1091
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I assign wonderful roommates who give you decongestant on Easter Sunday when every store is closed. It certainly made my day worlds better.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #1092
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Girl scout cookies! Made with fresh girl scout! And coconut!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #1093
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Being childishly delighted of small things.

Such as having a bus splash mud water on you, making a snowman, and getting your clothes wet and snow into your boots.

And I feel like re-assigning snow and sunshine, although it's already dark and the snow is probably melting...

Last edited by Thinlómien; 03-27-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #1094
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

First glimmers of spring...

Yesterday was the first day I could:

turn off the central heating during the day,

wear my "new" (bought in January - it seems I might be an optimist after all)summer slingbacks for the first time even if just for a party. Ok this meant attacking my hobbity feet with something you might use on horses' teeth and mucking around with fake tan but so what .. I am so bored of my winter clothes.

think of planting stuff out.

I also assign really nice meals (Beef Wellington and Raspberry Roulade ... bliss) and good company.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #1095
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
First glimmers of spring...
Seconded.

I assign sunshine and warmth and the fact that I (almost) don't have anything I have to do.

Freedom!

If I could fly, I would.

"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #1096
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I assign meeting old friends discovering you still can talk to them rightaway and more fluently than to other "newer" people you know. Also I assign meeting hedgehogs who live among the blocks; and last of all I assign good things you can't get out of your head.

I would assign Roger Waters, but not sure how they'd cope with him in the Shire... or maybe actually how he would cope with them. Although, looking at it, there are lots of other things which would also look strange in there...
Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #1097
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Having time to take a nap and read a book... what a luxury.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #1098
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I shall assign fellow students who calls you on the phone to check if youre allright, when you have missed a few lectures.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #1099
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Waking up by the gulls' cries.

Little birds jumping on the street.

The mist that rose from the sea last evening and makes the whole world so beautiful and grey.

The scent of early spring.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #1100
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Waking up by the gulls' cries.
Normally I would not mind the gulls, but I have experienced the gulls of Helsinki and they are something special. . .not in a good way.

I guess their cries could still be nice, but they would just remind me how they tried to steal me and my familys food and kind of succeded. . .they are most cunning!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #1101
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Normally I would not mind the gulls, but I have experienced the gulls of Helsinki and they are something special. . .not in a good way.

I guess their cries could still be nice, but they would just remind me how they tried to steal me and my familys food and kind of succeded. . .they are most cunning!
Well they're usually not that bad outside the centre of Helsinki - I admit there they are a nuisance and their constant crying annoys me. But it's rather wonderful to wake up so that the first thing I hear when still lying half asleep is the gulls.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #1102
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The gulls of Helsinki are nice just as long as they don't poo on you - that actually once happened to a friend of Nogrod's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I assign sunshine and warmth and the fact that I (almost) don't have anything I have to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
and last of all I assign good things you can't get out of your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
The mist that rose from the sea last evening and makes the whole world so beautiful and grey.

The scent of early spring.
Oh, I could second all of those.

Lastly, I would like to assign being amused by silly things: such as something crazy we did today and the fact that I'm reputedly a psycho...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #1103
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Going up north for 3 days and getting all of England's winter weather at once! Hail, sleet, snow and truly biting winds - yet managing to avoid getting caught outside in any of them by careful use of a car. Also, the fact that the snow actually settled so we got to see the world covered in white again. It was fun. Reminded me a lot of Iceland when you looked up and saw the hills all frosty.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #1104
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White Tree

The REAL spring. The shining (and warm!) sun. Leaves, grass, flowers and blossoms. And stemming from that, the possibility to spend your afternoon by sitting outside the house and reading a book.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #1105
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Realms of light and sweet delight...

I am prone to Seasonal affective disorder so it is utter bliss to be (I hope) in spring and say good bye to the winter blues ..I even feel I might be able to write again at some point.

But Winter's broken and earth has woken,
And the small birds cry again;
And the hawthorn hedge puts forth its buds,
And my heart puts forth its pain.

Rupert Brooke

Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #1106
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I assign finding the time time and inspiration to sit down (or, rather, to lay down on your bed ) and write a short story for your creative writing lesson and being surprised how little time and effort it took.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #1107
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
"All Creatures Now Are Merry Minded..."

Walking outside and finally seeing the sun in the sky other than a shade of grey, and having flowers pop out of the ground.

Also, finally having some proof that there are more seasons than winter and autumn...
(Don't get me wrong, I love autumn tremendously, but it becomes a bit tedious having everything dead and grey out).

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #1108
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Yesterday my first lesson was music, starting at 8:10. The teacher likes to remind us that he's tolerant of everything except us coming late. So the night before... I went to sleep at about 11. Then I suddenly woke up nervously, wandering what the time was and cursing that I was late for school. I looked at my mobile phone. The time was 00:00. I began cursing out loud, I was deffinitely late for school. I covered myself in deodorant wandering why I was so tired even though I slept late. I checked my phone again, 00:01. Yes, I am late... but, but, something's not right. I tried to find what the date was, maybe it was the wrong day or something and I wasn't actually supposed to wake up that day. I checked the date, it was 25th of April. Yeees... Ok, but what date was yesterday?? I went into "sent messages" and checked when I had sent the last text message. 24th of April. So, so, ? I was late? For music. Drat. I started putting on my clothes...

It was interesting.

After I had went to sleep again I still woke up once or twice to check that my alarm clock was on. (The preveous night I had actually forgotten to turn on my alarm and it was luck (or no luck) that I woke in the middle of the night and realised that.)
Old 04-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #1109
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I assign sitting down on the sofa with a novel and only getting up after having read it from cover to cover. It was absolutely fantastic. (For once I had very pleasant schoolwork to do...)
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #1110
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

One exam to go ... one to go and then freedom!

Ooh also getting to watch St Trinian's at last. I wanted to when it came out but never got the chance.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #1111
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Still spring evenings. When the setting Sun lights up the sky and the Mockingbirds give their last few chirpings before going to bed. The crickets start their music and there is a gentle breeze blowing through the grass.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #1112
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Walking past three Uruk-hai on their cigarette break. It made my day.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #1113
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Giving up on passing an exam and (stupidly) revising only two questions because your head simply can't take anymore, only to sit down at your exam paper and find those exact questions are right there in front of you! Luck is an understatement but I'm glad for it.

Going to see a show you've been looking forward to for weeks and having it absolutely live up to your expectations.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #1114
Volo

Haha, Kath, I'd rep you if I could! So, the exams are over now?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 AM   #1115
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Leaf

The poor little summer who got lost and wandered to Helsinki. I love it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #1116
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Haha, Kath, I'd rep you if I could! So, the exams are over now?
Why can't you, Volo? Right clicking on the little button usually works. Yes! Completely over! I am so insanely happy. I can now say thanks for your LJ comment too, it's been 4 days!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #1117
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Why can't you, Volo? Right clicking on the little button usually works. Yes! Completely over! I am so insanely happy. I can now say thanks for your LJ comment too, it's been 4 days!
I actually noticed you LJ entry soon after I commented here, but it's good that you express your happiness here too.

Well, I haven't been repping a lot recently... So... You know the rules.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #1118
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Glorious spring days which remind you not only how good it is to be alive but how lucky you are to live in a beautiful part of a beautiful country. Tolkien was wrong in every wood, in every spring there are about fifty different greens....

Clearly to much that these days should have occured during the long weekend just past But at least I have just about got over the bug that affected my hearing over the weekend. Four days feeling that you are in an ascending aircraft isn't fun....

Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #1119
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The sun! Finally it sheds its bright rays on us here in England!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #1120
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

And for more than one day in succession!!! i wore a new skirt for the first time to celebrate.. must be spring since I have cast of my customary black and shall be all the colours of the rainbow (though not similtaneously). As for the second half of the Fiona resolution, who knows..... anything is possible.