The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Shield 2017: Plan moots, not moot plans!

Dear Downers,

A short while ago I received a piece of happy news. I am still sorting out some knots with academics, but I thought it's pointless to keep this quiet for longer, since I decided I'd rather drop out of my specialization program and be a boring major than miss out on this. I will be studying on exchange in Scotland, at the University of Edinburgh, in the winter term of next year (Jan-May 2017). There, I will be free of my usual obligations, and will be much better positioned to make use of the cheap European flights to attend a moot or two. I might also stay for part of the summer to travel around for a bit.

So this is just a general call to see if there might be anything big coming up, and to see if you have any suggestions. (And I know I am sort of abusing the purpose of this forum, but if any of you have knowledge or suggestions or recommendations about places to live in Edinburgh? )

So I hope to see a few more of you in person at some point next year!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, any larger concentration of 'Downers calls for a moot to be sure. Of course, couple of visits to here and there would be nice just by themselves, but if we can get several people to one place... After all, there hasn't been (on the European side at least) any proper bigger (or longer) moot for quite a while (but even shorter one would do, given that your times are off-peak for most of the classic summer holiday times).

Let's spread the call around... I'll try to bring this to the attention of more
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
(but even shorter one would do, given that your times are off-peak for most of the classic summer holiday times).
That's true, though I do hope to stay in the EU for at least a while longer. I figured, if I'm gonna be in Europe anyways, I might as well make the most of it and use the summer as much as needed.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hope to see you while you're over here!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
We should deaf-in-Italy plan something of the kind, preferably in springtime when it gets a little warmer - maybe a moot to commemorate the crowning of King Elessar and the marriage of Sam and Rosie (May 1st, that would be)? Or anything really.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Hope to see you while you're over here!
Indeed! I won't even need a plane ticket for that!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Best wishes!

Best wishes for your stay in the UK next year, Galadriel! May you meet many fellow fans and fellow Downers there!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
Best wishes for your stay in the UK next year, Galadriel! May you meet many fellow fans and fellow Downers there!
Why thank'ee! I certainly hope to meet many Downers at some point next year. I will have no excuse at all not to pay a visit at least to those living on the island!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yaaaaay!

Welcome to Europe!

(This is my first post on the forum in a year. I'm embarrassing.)

Eönwë mentioned this to Kath, Hookbill and me when we were in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival this year, and we kind of started planning an Edinburghmoot (provided that there's accommodation). However, if you should feel like visiting Finland, we're more than happy to put you up and show you around!

Also, can I just point out that Worldcon 2017 takes place in Helsinki in 9-13 August 2017?

Last edited by Aganzir; 09-16-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added link
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Also, can I just point out that Worldcon 2017 takes place in Helsinki in 9-13 August 2017?
Didn't think I'd stay until then, but this is tempting.

Quote:
Eönwë mentioned this to Kath, Hookbill and me when we were in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival this year, and we kind of started planning an Edinburghmoot (provided that there's accommodation). However, if you should feel like visiting Finland, we're more than happy to put you up and show you around!
Well these aren't mutually exclusive! I don't know about accommodation, but I will probably have a better idea of things once I actually start living there. At the moment I don't have a place myself so I can't really say anything on that account. But I'll be very happy if people actually come!

As I said, though, I don't see why I can't go somewhere else for a weekend, or for longer in the early summer. I really hope to go places and see as many of you as possible while I'm at it.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Didn't think I'd stay until then, but this is tempting.
Yeah it's obviously different for you because about half of all Worldcons take place in North America, but as a Finn I'm pretty excited. Plus it's probably going to be awesome.

But a big yes for (extended) weekend trips! I'm also hopeful for an Edinburgh moot, although it does depend on accommodation.

Can't wait!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Yeah it's obviously different for you because about half of all Worldcons take place in North America, but as a Finn I'm pretty excited. Plus it's probably going to be awesome.
Well I haven't been to a Worldcon or anything like it yet, so it would be really cool to go. I just didn't think I'd stay till August. My exams end sometime in May, so I thought maybe another month or so of hopping around and then back home. But we'll see, nothing is fixed yet, and until I get the results of a certain exam back I have no idea what I'll be doing that summer.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

My financial situation is worse/ more erratic than it's been for years (and they say students are poor, lol) but springmoot in Edinburgh/ anywhere else in the UK/ or Europe for that matter sounds very good to me.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I have officially made it to Edinburgh. I even didn't get lost in Amsterdam during my flight transfer.