The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2003, 04:43 AM   #1
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril who's your favorite valar?

im was just wondering who among the valar you like most? i like Yavanna and Manwe for their works and thier dedication to the creations they made [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: barandilwen ]
Old 07-14-2003, 06:00 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

"Favorite" questions belong to the opinion topics and are placed on the Novices and Newcomers forum. This thread has been moved there, where you may continue posting.

So that the answers aren't just a list, please give the reasons for your choice. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think my favorite ones would have to be Varda and Ulmo. I loved Varda right away as soon as I started reading the Silmarillion. I love the stars in Middle Earth and I also love how the Elves respect her so much and can call on her in their time of need.

Quote:
Elbereth they name her, and they call upon her name out of the shadows of Middle-earth, and uplift it in song at the rising of the stars.
I have also always been fascinated with the ocean, thus began my love for Ulmo, lord of the waters. I think it's amazing how he can speak to those in Middle Earth by the ways of river or stream. It's also a great thing that he never abandoned the people of Middle Earth even when the Valar were against them.

Quote:
At times he will come unseen to the shores of Middle-earth, or pass far inland up firths of the sea, and there make music upon his great horns, the Ulumúri, that are wrought of white shell; and those to whom that music comes hear it ever after in their hearts, and longing for the sea never leaves them again.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have an unnatural obsession with Elbereth. I also like Ulmo, Manwe, Nienna, Este, and Namo.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Lord Melkor
Haunting Spirit

Lord Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm, my top three are Melkor, Mandos and Ulmo [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Melkor: I like Evil Dark Lords, besides, Melkor wasn't really evil, he was just an.....independent mind. A true visionary! Or something like that [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]. And he has a really cool name. He Who arises in Might. Can't beat that [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Mandos (Namo): Mandos is the Judge, I'm a Law student. That creates a bond [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Ulmo: The only Valar who ever seemed to care about Men when they awakened.

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lord Melkor ]

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lord Melkor ]
'I am the Elder king: Melkor, first and mightiest of all the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will.'
Lord Melkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

A reminder - please do not just list names; give reasons for your choice(s). Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:09 PM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do not know why I have an obsession with Elbereth.
I think if I like the sound of the name, I take to the Vala. For example, Namo and Mandos are the same Vala, but I don't like Mandos, only Namo.
Nienna the Weeper- her occupation appeals to me. I think of that shot in TTT of Arwen walking under the fading trees after Aragorn has passed away. It makes me sad in a good way, and the Weeper makes me think of similar things.
Este- again the name is so beautiful and that attracts me. But I am also a fanatic when it comes to healing and alchemy. Being the Healer, Este is a top Vala to me.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:40 PM   #8
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Melkor would be my favorite Vala I guess. But he might have an edge in this as he's most in debt described of the Valar.I think i choose him because he's the mightiest,the proudest and the most influential.Also,I like his pure evilness.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #9
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Take a guess... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Well, I like Yavanna because of her dedication to her creations, her attributes, and her connection with nature. Plus, the name is just beautiful and fun to say!
I also like Ulmo because of his continuing connection and care to Middle Earth.
Aule's pretty good too because he submitted all that he did to Iluvatar, even though he could be like Melkor and rebel with his works. All of Aule's work were intended for Iluvatar's glory.
Peace
P.S. barandilwen, technically, the singular for 'valar' is 'vala.' [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 07-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #10
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Silmaril

Varda's my favorite because I somehow found a connection with her, though it seems mundane when I actually think it's cute.

I love stars, and I find myself fascinated with the night sky (make it a cloudless night: I've a bizarre but waning phobia towards clouds; curious? PM me, it's a long story).

My dad sent us an old liqour bottle filled with paper stars, which I fell in love with, and I determined myself to make onw of my own. And so I did.

So after making star after star, I feel a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment over something a small as the tip of my pinky. And when a paper star is folded unsuccesfully, I feel depressed. It's like Varda "possesses" my psyche while I create those adorable things.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:38 AM   #11
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry about the wrong grammar i use. im always clumsy.thanks yavanna228. anyway,the reason why i like Yavanna is because she has a lot of passion in doing her work. like what yavanna228 said, she is really dedicated to her creations. she sees the beauty in everything!
for manwe, i like him because of his works. it is somehow linked to the other's creations. i also like the sound of the name "manwe" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 07:32 PM   #12
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I have a few favorites, though they're a bit... oddly assorted. The first would be Lorien. I don't know why him, really, because he doesn't posess any qualities that really interest me, but I still like him, perhaps for his love of nature, though Yavanna has that too, and in a greater "quantity", and she doesn't seem as interesting to me. Another would be Mandos, just because death fascinates me (yes, I know that's morbid), and because I like dark-but-good characters in many books/stories. And Ulmo. He just interests me because of the way he is, living in the sea and not in Valinor, and all, and being interested in the fates of men... also, to some extent, Melkor, because of the evil in him, but not as much as the others I mentioned.

Swan song,
~Menelien
Old 07-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #13
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have always liked Varda Elentari because she created the stars which the high elves are most affilated with and because she is most revered by all elves. I also like Yavanna because she helped create the two trees Telperion and Laurelin.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:32 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Aule and Yavanna, for no other reason than their 'odd couple' tag.

But Tulkas was fantastic too. Anyone who can take Melkor in a fight must be special.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:16 PM   #15
Lady Dwarf

1420!

My favorite is Mahal (Aulë) because he created the best race in all Middle-Earth, the Dwarves! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Mahal did as good a job as Manwë (if not better [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) at creating a race. I also like Ulmo, because he is the Lord of the Waters, and I love the ocean and stuff.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 AM   #16
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

My favorite Valar is Yavanna. She loved all living and growing things, so she's awesome in my book
Old 07-18-2003, 01:14 AM   #17
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
Aule and Yavanna, for no other reason than their 'odd couple' tag
As a couple, yeah, I'd like them for that reason. They can be complete opposites sometimes.

I love Ulmo for his temperament. Makes him interesting, and it's his character's somehthing I'd like to emulate (Imagine: the terror English teacher!)...just imagining [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #18
Orothoniel

Silmaril

My favorite Valar is Ulmo. He never turned his back on Middle-Earth, even when all the others did (per example: he helped Turgon to find Gondolin). He is the Valar of the seas and waters, and there's not one thing in the world wich I adore more than the sound of the sea. I also like Niena because she teached compassion.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:12 PM   #19
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Nienna, becuase for some reason I cry at every thing and for everything so I feel strangly connected to her. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 07:46 PM   #20
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Varda, Mandos.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:04 AM   #21
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

Definetly Mandos-he is quiet,mystical,he can foresee future,and he sounds great in all decriptions of Valars.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote