The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #121
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Abercrombie, my friend, I have found what you seek while sifting through The Unstarted Tales, but what was before unknown is that Elmerf's son did not try to usurp his father's place... Elmerf had a brother:

Quote:
And so Elmerf departed his much loved homeland in much sorrow, but for a cause he deemed crucial. Fighting with his big and pointy teeth, the hare travelled to far distant lands with his beloved Legolas, leaving his Mirkwood power in the hands of his brother. Abusing the priveleges of heirdom, Princejohnamir made a dispicable attempt to sieze permanent control, being thwarted by the bravery of loyal hares (many of which were outlawed), and the last minute return of Elmerf from battle.
I hope that helps?

Fea
Old 01-22-2005, 08:05 AM   #122
misty's hopping mt.
Pile O'Bones

misty's hopping mt. has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well that explains the first attempted usurp of the throne of the Supreme Ruling Pet of Mirkwood, but if you read Abercrombie's first post on the previous page, there was a final battle to the death between Elmerf and his son and the question posed was what is the name of this hare, his son? I personally have a feeling it started with M because Tolkien might have wanted to keep the name in accordance with Mordred, from King Arthur. Just an intuition.
misty's hopping mt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #123
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Well, well, well.

I had been reading a secret text in the Purple Book, called Athrabeth Elmerf ah Legolas, or the debate of Elmerf and Legolas. Mostly it involves discussions of hairstyles and colours, and ends in a catfight over who's the greatest, but every now and then they say something that almost makes sense.

But having not finished my reading and analysis, I shall post more elaborately tomorrow.

Oh, boy. The Prince of Procrastination makes a promise to post tomorrow. I'll bet half my life he can't make it.

Considering the precedent on New Movie Script, yes. I'll chip in three pieces of mithril.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #124
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Orlando Bloom's hair is dark. Legolas' WIG is blonde.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #125
misty's hopping mt.
Pile O'Bones

misty's hopping mt. has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

no it his hare as in rabbit not hair.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #126
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh. Well, I would think his hare would be brown.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #127
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

EUREKA! I have found it at last! Mallapin is the name of Elmerf's son, the hare that caused the sundering of the hares of Mirkwood and lead the remnant of his people south and defeated the remaining evil hares of Dol Guldur that the White council missed.

So family tree looks like this right?
Father?
'
Caerwen & nameless brother& Elmerf=Yosmite
'
Mallapin

Sorry the family tree didn't work quite as well as I had hoped I'll fix...
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #128
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alright I hope this works... http://www.fakeurl.com/elmerf
Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #129
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril they all need names!

Thank you very much for that very nice tree Abercrombie, its beautiful.
Mallapin, that sounds right. I like that name very much. So Elmerf's brother took the throne, I suppose he needs a name also, and about Elmerf's mother, I can't remember her name but, I believe she was Galadriel's hare for a time, but she favoured Celebrian and left Middle-Earth with her.

~*Wilwa*~
Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 PM   #130
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Just keep the names coming folks (I don't have time to look them all up). I will update my website as is necessary. It will be our history within a history. The part Tolkien never got to write becuase he was too distracted with the possible ending of the world.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:00 PM   #131
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! The family tree was *so* cute! Melikes!

Ahem. Anywhen, here was the promised analysis of the Athrabeth. It was very hard to analyse, as it was written rapidly in pencil, and the manuscript is blurred at many places.

Wow. He's really posting it on time.
[Elmerf: ]‘[ I ]n the great ages after, Men shall see thee, and say “I lyk legolas more, hes soooo hot!!!!!1”, yet me they will not know, for I have done no mighty deed, save be coloured [?purple].’
‘Know then,’ said Legolas, ‘that thou they will see, and thou they will know, for the fates of the Rabbit-realms of Mirkwood are entwined with the continued life of the “What colour is Legolas` hair?” thread, and thus is the wrath of the Wight stayed upon the frivolity of those Men. And they will hold thee in reverence.’
‘But my fur is [?purple], and my tail cottony, and thus I fell to evil ways. What then will they say if they knew that the Rabbit-realms were mine no longer, that [?my] . . . . . * took them from me by force, and that I am left for a wandering waif, with an androgynous Elf and a snoring Dwarf for company?’
‘What is “androgynous”?’ and Legolas took a threatening step towards the hare.

Athrabeth Elmerf ah Legolas, Purple Book
There are many things to say about the work. Christopher Tolkien dropped the analysis on the entire text, saying ‘I have not the ability, nor the temperance, to analyse the fashion sense of the two in discourse.’

But here we have a possible solution to the usurper’s question. The “-er” part might help, as it excludes his son from the takeover, as Fea had said. But what else ends in “-er”? Brother? Sister? Father? Mother? Driver? Butter? Deer? Are the deer of Mirkwood prone to staging coup d’ etat?

On a final note, the “snoring Dwarf” Elmerf and Legolas had for company could very well be Gimli, which means that perhaps Leggy’s Dwarven “friend” joined them in exile after the ousting of Elmerf.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 01-25-2005 at 09:36 PM. Reason: word waffling
Old 01-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #132
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Excellent Find NIL, thank you immensely for sharing that with us. So this means that Mallapin did not usurp the throne from Elmerf, but Mallapin did in fact inherit the throne, one way or another. Right? No disagreements?

So then who did take the throne? Fea's post does lead me to believe that it was indeed his brother (Prince Johnamir? Is that his name?) that stole or tried to steal the throne from Elmerf. Did Elmerf ever reclaim his throne before Mallapin became king? I mean after he went off and had his adventures with Legolas did he return to Mirkwood and oust (Johnamir?) from the throne?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:45 PM   #133
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Princejohnamir, my friends. I was led to believe that it is pronounced "Prin-say-ja-nom-eer", but the reliability of The Unstarted Tales is occasionally questionable.

Fea
Old 01-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #134
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

page updated http://www.fakeurl.com/elmerf
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #135
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Update.

I have just purchased from swindler.com all the writings of Tolkien regarding the hares of Middle-earth from 1917 up to his death. I am now currently deep in analysis, and, I'm telling you now: it ain't gonna be pretty.

I may be back with a post tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #136
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Nilp?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:29 AM   #137
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Hehehe.

The funny thing is, I still am not finish with the analysis. The material is too vast, and my time is too short, what with the ending school year and all. So there.

I'll try to do it now, and hopefully come up with a complete report within the week.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:30 PM   #138
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Within the week?

The scoundrel...

Anywho, I stumbled upon a fairly odd collection in a local bookshop: A copy of Tolkien's letters which was published in Holland. It is mostly the same, however some bits are missing and some new pieces are inserted throughout. He goes into lengthy detail regarding a spat he had with a butcher.

Anyway, the main point of interest here is that he made direct reference to the question posed in the title of the thread. Legolas' hair was a luscious golden brown. I, for one, am willing to suppose the total credibility of this seemingly bizarre edition and accept the claim.

But go ahead and talk about Elmerf. The little critter is a far more interesting character than, say, Aldarion...
Old 06-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #139
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Y'know, a funny thing happened on the way to . . .

OK, so accounts of my posting on time might have been exaggerated. So sue me.

Or not. He once killed his entire clan over pizza.

Hush, Alice.

Enedwaith, forgive me for not posting the aforementioned analysis, but, as Eomer will attest, I have spent months tracking down traces of Wargish influence in Filipino culture.

But now, with my timetable seemingly clear--though that could be deceptive--I will proceed with full force on the analysis of the texts.

Hopefully,
Nilpaurion Felagund
Slayer of the Uchiha clan.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #140
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

The Wargs of the Brown Lands tell tales of a mysterious ghost, dancing in the form of a hare.

Pardon me for getting excited but I feel a need to reconcile some legends here. What can Wargs tell us of Elmerf and his treacherous dynasty?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #141
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
What can Wargs tell us of Elmerf and his treacherous dynasty?
Presumably nothing, since none of those whose eyes ever rested upon Elmerf lived to tell the... tail. Why else, do you think, would all legends and accountings of him be so vague and inconclusive?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:13 AM   #142
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

And who claimed that 'none of those.....' ever lived to tell? Whoever said that was almost definitely schooled in the traditional anti-Warg methodology.

I will investigate further. Don't believe everything you read in this thread.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #143
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question Bright eyes?

Quote:
The Wargs of the Brown Lands tell tales of a mysterious ghost, dancing in the form of a hare.
Did it have bright eyes burning like fire?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #144
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Um.....I think that's a joke but I'm too slow-witted to understand it.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #145
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eomer .. The Saucepan man tells, I believe of a ghostly vision of a beast of the order Lagomorpha (though possibly of the Syvilagus rather than Lepus genus) recounted by Simon, the Garth-Uncle, which could be related to the incident quoted. Certain atmospheric conditions were necessary for the vision to be seen (high wind in the trees, fog, strange glow in the sky). However it was possible that it was merely a dream. This story was very well known when I was a child but maybe the younger generation have not heard of it?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #146
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Sounds like a cracking yarn; my research must evolve; to the English countryside I go!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #147
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You should try for the Hampshire Berkshire borders for there the legend originated though the Garth-Uncle is not a native of that place.

I must study this thread more fully since clearly it touches on my own theories regarding Isildur's Hare...

Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #148
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

You know, I've heard tales that Elrond had twin hares. The question, I suppose, is whether that was common, and what shape their ears were. Were they elongated? Were they slightly pointed, or softly rounded? Or even more disturbing... did they flop?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #149
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah well Elrond did keep Isildur's Hares for specific puposes, I believe ... but that tale was told in the Old Fogey's clubroom...

Old 06-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #150
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I was under the impression that he had custody of Isildur's hare-looms. Did he ever weave with them, just to keep them in good shape? And what exactly was their use in the Third Age... The questions simply keep arising.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #151
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

check out page seven of the Tolkien Coming of Age Club 2 thread..

Old 06-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #152
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Part 1.

On Hare Colour

A poem on the Ringarë 3021 issue of Candy and Eldar casts some serious doubt on the purple-hare theory.
A, Rabbit-hair, gilded and fair,
Silver pens of Míriel.
O, Menel, a car made by hand,
Ach! a red palantír, Ariel!
O, Galadriel, in your wrath,
Fans are lost, like Linda Thorn.
Narf! a meara! See! Enough! I, R. Gon.
The “R. Gon” at the end of the poem helps to identify who the author is. A majority of scholars believe that it was none other than Aragorn, son of Arathorn, who wrote this verse. Some surmise that he wrote the staves after missing the hares he played with in Imladris as a child. None of these bunnies survived past the Fourth Age, for it is believed that Elrond deep-sixed those that remained in Rivendell before he left for the Havens.

In the poem we see the variety in colours of the rabbits of Rivendell: gold, silver and red. But no purple was mentioned. Why? Surely, Elmerf’s purpleness would stand out.

A clue to this mystery can be found in the Súlimë 2974 issue, published a month before Elmerf was first seen with purple hair. There this advertisement was published:
Tired of your boring, pathetic existence?
Then get a life! Set yourself apart!
Start with a new hair colour!
Try PUMPERNICKEL PROUDFOOT’S
SPECIALLY FORMULATED PURPLE HAIR DYE
!

Order now! Limited slots available!
In the box of this product was written a warning that it would take one month before the dye took effect. On Narië 8, 2974, a month after the Candy and Eldar issue containing the advertisement was published, more than two hundred people from Minas Tirith were executed for “hair colour unbecoming of a canonical Númenórean descendant.” Later it was discovered that on the same day, Radagast the Brown disappeared from Rhosgobel, although a purple-haired “cousin” of his appeared in the said area for two years before the return of Radagast, after which the “cousin” was nowhere to be seen. Make what you will of that.

The discovery of these startling pieces of evidence in the back issues of Candy and Eldar casts serious doubt on the natural purpleness of Elmerf’s hair. Next time I shall publish my reports on the coup d’ etat in Mirkwood, gleaned from Tolkien’s infamous essays On Harey Stories and Shoelaces of Fëanor.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:02 AM   #153
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Vy ze vay.

Candy and Eldar is a monthly randomness magazine published in Dol Amroth.

Just had to make that clarification.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:10 PM   #154
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

White-Hand Uh.

It's been more than two months. Have all lost interest in Elmerf and the Hares of Mirkwood, or are you impatiently awaiting my promised (and long-delayed) account of the coup d' etat in Mirkwood?

Uh, right. We'd be interested in that. The nerve . . .
Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #155
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Coup d' etat, I assure you.