The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #2681
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe Further update...

BERUTHIEL: From a very, very ancient and distant farmer's link with a disordered hobbit feast, a fabled wrangler of small carnivores emerges.
2. From beginning to end, go backwards to find a (somewhat) charitable fellow with a tendency to lose his head in a crisis.
3. I warmed milk, mixed well to find a sobriquet for a lordly victim of fatal misunderstanding.
GRIMA: Take note from troubled vision- a Maia's bane is revealed.
UGLUK: Sounds like that distant farmer's nephew followed an angry caveman, to find one of Middle-earth's leading gourmands.
YRCH: Cry Havoc (but without Latin call- it is imperative!) and summon a chaotic horde.
SHELOB: Add second option to a turbulent Hebraic Mandos, discover a great lady.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #2682
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
2. Unconfidently going to suggest Denethor because it begins with sort of 'end' backwards and he sort of loses his head in a crisis. Although I think a dwarf was cruelly beheaded once, I can't remember his name.

Hang on ... is the password BAD GUYS?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-11-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #2683
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

3. DWIMMERLAIK! Finally managed to unscramble it. Perhaps the fatal misunderstanding was of what one of the Nine Rings would do to him?

Edit: and I guess it was a fatal misunderstanding because it concerned (im)mortality.

2. I think ADANEDHEL, because Turin does lose his head in a crisis, but can't completely account for the letters. 'Fellow' could possibly be lad or adan - head is in there as well - and Turin is somewhat charitable ....

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-11-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #2684
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
3. DWIMMERLAIK! Finally managed to unscramble it. Perhaps the fatal misunderstanding was of what one of the Nine Rings would do to him?

Edit: and I guess it was a fatal misunderstanding because it concerned (im)mortality.

2. I think ADANEDHEL, because Turin does lose his head in a crisis, but can't completely account for the letters. 'Fellow' could possibly be lad or adan - head is in there as well - and Turin is somewhat charitable ....
Yes, the password is BAD GUYS, and #3. is DWIMMERLAIK, and yes, the "fatal misunderstanding" refers to Glorfindel's prophecy. Well done!

#2. is not ADANEDHEL.

The person in question-

-lived much later than Turin
-was more of a straight bad guy than the conflicted Mormegil
-was not a major character (but played a significant historical role).

The clues are all rather literal. "Somewhat generous" and "losing his head in a crisis" refer to specific happenings, not general character traits.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #2685
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

I will give out more clues if needed, so we can wind this up. And Pervinca, sorry about the "Beru" thing.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #2686
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey, no worries. One thing I love about this thread is the new things I learn from it.

I will now look again at your clues and get my thinking cap on.

I don't remember the warning of Glorfindel to the Nine ... is this in UT or HOME, or do you mean his appearance at the Ford as 'an Elf-lord revealed in his wrath?'

EDIT: Your clues rule out a couple of other ideas I had for the answer. The best guess that leaves me with is AZOG, although he takes a head rather than losing one (Thror was the beheaded dwarf - I couldn't remember whether he was so close in kin to Thorin). Maybe Azog loses his head as well? And maybe Goza means something? He would fit the 'later than 1st age and minor but quite important' criteria. Plus he's an 'unconflicted bad guy,' as far as I know.

Hmmmm ... the Urban Dictionary tells me that a goza is 1. A madman, or 2. A nice guy who occasionally acts like a troll. Other than that, it is also the name of a village in Pakistan and the Spanish for 'enjoy.'

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-12-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #2687
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

1420!

Quote:
Hey, no worries. One thing I love about this thread is the new things I learn from it.

I will now look again at your clues and get my thinking cap on.

I don't remember the warning of Glorfindel to the Nine ... is this in UT or HOME, or do you mean his appearance at the Ford as 'an Elf-lord revealed in his wrath?'
Glorfindel makes the "not by the hand of man shall he fall" prophecy (to Earnur, the last king of Gondor). (LotR Appendix A: The Numenorean Kings: The Realms in Exile: The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion).

Quote:
EDIT: Your clues rule out a couple of other ideas I had for the answer. The best guess that leaves me with is AZOG, although he takes a head rather than losing one (Thror was the beheaded dwarf - I couldn't remember whether he was so close in kin to Thorin). Maybe Azog loses his head as well? And maybe Goza means something? He would fit the 'later than 1st age and minor but quite important' criteria. Plus he's an 'unconflicted bad guy,' as far as I know.
Synopsis, key parts bolded:

Thror was Thorin's grandfather, who (being by then a little touched in the head) tried to re-enter the goblin-occupied Moria with a companion called Nar. Azog chopped Thror's head off, branded his own name on his forehead and mockingly threw the "beggar-beard" Nar a small bag containing "a few coins of little worth" as his "fee" (for giving Thror's family the message that Azog was king in Moria). This sparked the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs, which culminated in the Battle of Azunalbizar (aka Dimrill Dale and Nanduhirion) in which Azog was beheaded by Dain as the Dwarves of the Iron Hills turned the tide of battle. (Appendix A: Durin's Folk).

Quote:
Hmmmm ... the Urban Dictionary tells me that a goza is 1. A madman, or 2. A nice guy who occasionally acts like a troll. Other than that, it is also the name of a village in Pakistan and the Spanish for 'enjoy.'
No, that's not it. Since you have the answer anyway, I will explain the "how to" part of the clue if you like. It is actually very simple and literal, though- you might want to have another try just for fun.

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-12-2017 at 04:14 AM. Reason: punctuation.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #2688
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

The Eye The Entire Rogues' Gallery...

BERUTHIEL: From a very, very ancient and distant farmer's link with a disordered hobbit feast, a fabled wrangler of small carnivores emerges.
AZOG: From beginning to end, go backwards to find a (somewhat) charitable fellow with a tendency to lose his head in a crisis.
DWIMMERLAIK: I warmed milk, mixed well to find a sobriquet for a lordly victim of fatal misunderstanding.
GRIMA: Take note from troubled vision- a Maia's bane is revealed.
UGLUK: Sounds like that distant farmer's nephew followed an angry caveman, to find one of Middle-earth's leading gourmands.
YRCH: Cry Havoc (but without Latin call- it is imperative!) and summon a chaotic horde.
SHELOB: Add second option to a turbulent Hebraic Mandos, discover a great lady.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #2689
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah! I see. A-Z is 'from beginning to end' (I used my London A-Z yesterday - can't get along with Google Maps!), and then the word 'go' backwards?

Thanks for the synopsis, and also for some smashing clues (my favourite was the Dwimmerlaik one). I really did think they were impossible when I first saw them! Also big kudos for the thematic link. I find it very difficult to do that when composing a password. I think the only time I managed it was one where all the answers were Tooks. (EDIT: and my 'Ringbearers with an added loophole' one, but that was because Galadriel had just done a very similar one and given me the idea).

Big kudos to Galadriel for solving UGLUK, too.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-13-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:45 AM   #2690
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Ah! I see. A-Z is 'from beginning to end' (I used my London A-Z yesterday - can't get along with Google Maps!), and then the word 'go' backwards?
That's it!

Quote:
Thanks for the synopsis, and also for some smashing clues. I really did think they were impossible when I first saw them! Also big kudos for the thematic link. I find it very difficult to do that when composing a password. I think the only time I managed it was one where all the answers were Tooks.
And last time, just not on purpose...

Quote:
Big kudos to Galadriel for solving UGLUK, too.
Yes- that was a very, very silly clue, and, consequently, perhaps rather difficult to solve.

Over to you!

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-12-2017 at 05:20 AM. Reason: cursed autocorrect!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:54 AM   #2691
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Here you go!

1. Venture untruth and note well: be troubled, for here be webs of horror!
2. Swinger loses hesitation in a spin, but gets religion to reveal him.
3. Belly overstuffed in the valley?
4. She runs back and forth to meet a sailor; a most fair-seeming one!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-12-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Forgot I was quoting, to copy the password puzzle and amend it to include the solved clue, so ended up overwriting the post.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #2692
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Ring

Would #4 be ANNATAR? "she runs back and forth" = palindromic female name + "sailor" = "tar"?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #2693
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Indeed it would! It was my second choice for your 'Azog' clue once I realised it would start with A but before you added the extra hints; he's certainly a bad guy and I wondered if the beginning and ending bit was a palindrome indicator. I was going to post this reasoning, but then realised if I didn't I could make my own clue out of it. Although I also thought the beginning and end AND bad guy elements might have had something to do with the 'rat' backwards at the end.

ANNATAR: She runs back and forth to meet a sailor; a most fair-seeming one!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #2694
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Sting

Quote:
Indeed it would! It was my second choice for your 'Azog' clue once I realised it would start with A but before you added the extra hints; he's certainly a bad guy and I wondered if the beginning and ending bit was a palindrome indicator. I was going to post this reasoning, but then realised if I didn't I could make my own clue out of it. Although I also thought the beginning and end AND bad guy elements might have had something to do with the 'rat' backwards at the end.

As it happens, I had considered "Annatar" for the "A" clue.

So, I'm thinking #3. is TUMLADEN- "tum" (belly) + "laden" (overstuffed).

No idea on the others yet.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #2695
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Correct!

TUMLADEN: Belly overstuffed in the valley?

Nerwen, what was the 'charitable fellow' aspect of Azog?

EDIT: If anyone has any 'thoughts so far' on 1 or 2, just post them and I'll give a hint. 2 is a little obscure, but not unfindable; 1 is not obscure.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-13-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #2696
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If I'm close I'll be excited...

1. Mirkwood.

Venture Untrouth
Go-lie
Goliath
Note well, so remember the story of Goliath

Place of webs
So somewhere with spiders.

I only remember one instance of a diminutive ($5 word for me) hero fending off spiders with stones...

PS: I may or may not have accidentally hit report instead of reply... I think I backed out before it sent but... my report was this comment... posting from phone yay.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #2697
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi, Morsul! Did you use to post in this thread a few years ago? I have a feeling the first password I tried to solve here was one of yours!

Excellent try and nice reasoning.

You have given the correct synonym for untruth: LIE = three of the letters of the clue.

You need a different synonym for venture.

Nothing to do with Goliath and Goliath is no element of the puzzle.

'Note well' is just a way of garnering some more letters. (Huge hint!)

Not Mirkwood. Another hint ... perhaps I should have said (to make it easier) 'There *were* webs of horror.' As a Tolkien character does ....

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-13-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #2698
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Silmaril

Quote:
Correct!

Nerwen, what was the 'charitable fellow' aspect of Azog?
The first bolded bit in my synopsis. "Somewhat" because a.) he threw Nar coins "of little worth" and b.) it was done ironically.

Quote:
EDIT: If anyone has any 'thoughts so far' on 1 or 2, just post them and I'll give a hint. 2 is a little obscure, but not unfindable; 1 is not obscure.
I'm wondering about the possible meanings of "swinger"...

For #1, I am going to tentatively guess BELERIAND, which does contain "lie", and did contain some nasty arachnids- and IIRC is what's being specifically referenced in your latest quote. "B" or "A" or "E" could be the notes, but I'm not sure how the "venture" part comes into it.

I also, by the way, looked at specific places in Beleriand and had a laugh about how over-the-top Tolkien's Eeevil location names can be: "Take a hike through the Forest Under Nightshade, over the Mountains of Terror and down into the Valley of Dreadful Death..."

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-13-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #2699
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Wild(ish) guess: is the password AULË (diagonally from bottom right to top left)?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #2700
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

BELERIAND: Venture untruth and note well: be troubled, for here be webs of horror!
- - L?????: Swinger loses hesitation in a spin, but gets religion to reveal him.

I wondered if you might see Aule from the bottom two answers.

I am so sorry for not being attentive enough re. the Azog synopsis.

'Come! Let us see what Sting can do. It is an elven-blade. There were webs of horror in Beleriand where it was forged. But you must be the guard and hold back the eyes. Take the star-glass and do not be afraid. Hold it up! Watch!'

I hear Ian Holm's voice when I imagine those words, even though the sentence about Beleriand and the webs of horror was cut from his speech.

See if you can work out where the other letters come from ... it's not musical notes, but something we used a lot when writing notes when I was at school, as an abbreviation of 'note well.'

Have a think about the 'venture' synonym ... I'll give the clue that it's a more 'adventurous' verb than the 'go' that Morsul suggested.

SWINGER- I was pleased at how that sounded in the clue, although it isn't something with all the different possible answers that something like 'flower' or 'bloomer' or 'spanner' suggests. And I give the further clue that it's nothing to do with wife-swapping elves. Try to think of something that swings.

AULE, as you correctly guessed, is the password.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-14-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #2701
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

*slaps forehead*

Oh, of course! "N.B." and "dare"! How did I not see that before?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 AM   #2702
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

They're always easy when you know the answer.

Or, 'Absurdly simple, like most riddles when you see the answer.'
Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #2703
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So - any ideas for the final clue? Shall I post a hint?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:03 AM   #2704
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:

Yes, I think a hint may be in order.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 AM   #2705
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I know this is wrong but maybe it'll spark a thought for someone else.

I see swinger and immediately think Banadobras Took the hobbit that invented golf
(Golf swing)

Edit: PS Yes I used to be very active here ages ago(for a while I had highest posts per day.)
Old 06-17-2017, 05:33 AM   #2706
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
I know this is wrong but maybe it'll spark a thought for someone else.

I see swinger and immediately think Banadobras Took the hobbit that invented golf
(Golf swing)

Edit: PS Yes I used to be very active here ages ago(for a while I had highest posts per day.)
The answer has to have "L" as the third letter.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #2707
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:

Hi Nerwen and Pevrinca. I am very dumb about this game, but I'll pop in to say hello, and make a very bad attempt at answering.

Mandos
Old 06-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #2708
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivriniel View Post
Hi Nerwen and Pevrinca. I am very dumb about this game, but I'll pop in to say hello, and make a very bad attempt at answering.

Mandos
No "L".
Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #2709
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Ivrin, the clue is a list of instructions, basically. I just haven't managed to come up with an answer that works.

I wonder if Morsul is right and "Brandobas" is part of the clue...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #2710
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I knew it was wrong because of the spelling it was just what came to mind and I figured it might help but I'm not sure
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #2711
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good idea, but the 'swinger' is the cryptic bit, designed to give you most of the letters, and is not in itself a character.

Start with someTHING that swings ... the etymology of the word perhaps suggests that it hangs rather than swings, but we associate the word, I think, more with swinging, even though it does both.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #2712
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Good idea, but the 'swinger' is the cryptic bit, designed to give you most of the letters, and is not in itself a character.

Start with someTHING that swings ... the etymology of the word perhaps suggests that it hangs rather than swings, but we associate the word, I think, more with swinging, even though it does both.
From your statement re: etymology I think you must mean "pendulum" for the first part...
Old 06-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #2713
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes! Start off with pendulum.

BELERIAND: Venture untruth and note well: be troubled, for here be webs of horror!
- - L?????: Swinger loses hesitation in a spin, but gets religion to reveal him.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #2714
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

At this point I'm just trying to help Nerwen...

Loses hesitation in a spin. So anagram and take away the P? P for pause
Old 06-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #2715
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
At this point I'm just trying to help Nerwen...

Loses hesitation in a spin. So anagram and take away the P? P for pause
They don't usually work that way. It'll be something that actually means, or indicates "hesitation". Could just be the "um" part.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #2716
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

White Tree

Let's try... PELENDUR

Pendulum ("swinger") - "Um..." (hesitation) + R.E. for Religious Education?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #2717
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando

Pendulum-euum
Find religion Alla

Pallando

Reveal him because the Blau wizards were lost.

Did I mention I'm just the best at these? Hopefully Nerwen is right.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #2718
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Pallando

Pendulum-euum
Find religion Alla

Pallando

Reveal him because the Blau wizards were lost.

Did I mention I'm just the best at these? Hopefully Nerwen is right.
I'd never have solved it. I am reading, though Pevrinca and Nerwen, and learning as I read.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2017, 04:19 AM   #2719
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

PELENDUR: Swinger loses hesitation in a spin, but gets religion to reveal him.

Let's try... PELENDUR

Exactly right. Over to Nerwen!
Old 06-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #2720
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
PELENDUR: Swinger loses hesitation in a spin, but gets religion to reveal him.

Let's try... PELENDUR

Exactly right. Over to Nerwen!
I understand three of the four...could I trouble someone to explain Beleriand?