The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe Evening walk

I love autumn, especially autumn in North Carolina. It gets colder bit by bit, and we have weeks to enjoy the turning leaves and the mysterious spirit of decay that seems to inhabit the woods.

I live right by the Duke Forest, and often walk my puppy in the nearby subdivision along with Boyfriend.

A few nights ago, we saw this (aplogies for the poor photo quality, a phone camera is all I have at the moment):

It was so... appropriate to the season and to the way that Tolkien's work affects me as a whole. There is the beautiful sadness in the air over everything, and the colder evenings make me want to climb in bed with LotR (yes, I like it in that way ) all over again.

Just thought I'd share, my darlings.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Speaking of Brandywine , I was looking at a map of Ohio at my grandparent's house at Thanksgiving today, and I found a river: the Brandywine River. Sounds like Brandywine is pretty popular...
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
"Autumn-covered hills" are bare now. Silver branches reach into the grey sky. The sunset is closer than it was. The sunrise is bare. The stars have a cold glitter.

Trying to decide between Anglo-Saxon tunics or the Bocksten-man style (fuller skirt.) Somehow less elvish & hobbitish this year, more rohirric. Elvish spot is filled by sons.

edit: Cool, Ninja. The brooks around here are all that color. I think it's a natural name. But justly made popular by The Prof.

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-23-2006 at 09:05 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Narya

Brandywine is a beautiful word.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There is a Brandywine Restaurant in my town. It's been there, named so, since the mid 1970s, and maybe before then. I'm pretty sure I know where the owners got the name. It's a great homey little place; it used to be more so until they updated.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
Brandywine is a beautiful word.
I wonder how that is translated in French editions.

eau de vie vin?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Ah, dear friends...until very recently, Brandywine was the name of my apartment complex. Beat that. My address was Brandywine Place.

Now it's boring. And oxymoronic.