The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2003, 11:59 PM   #81
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have just finished viewing the Two Towers Extended Edition for the very first time, and let me just say that I was quite impressed. It reminded me much more of the book as I watched it than did the theatrical version. I was particularly moved by the additional footage of Eomer at the beginning. <P>I have been a firm critic of Peter Jackson's portrayal of Faramir in the theatrical release, but I would like to point out that my view has softened with the release of the Extended Edition and the flashback footage of Boromir and Faramir.<P>I really wish I could get into in-depth analysis of each scene, but I am far too tired after having sat in front of the tele for a few too many hours of the night. I shall post again with more coherent observations in the near future.<P>Cheers,<BR>Angmar
Old 11-29-2003, 09:50 PM   #82
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

Haven't posted in ages and haven't got much time to post now but I have to put my two cents in:<P>PJ... anything angry ever uttered from my mouth about Faramir's chracter- Taken back... all is forgiven. I absolutely adored EE Faramir, he was real and I understood his emotions, choices, and actions whether wrong or right.<P>I loved how Aragorn's age was included and how Treebeard tossed in some Bombadil references. When I watched the scene between Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor It brought me to tears to see the relationships between these three.<P>This gives me a lot of hope for the EE of RotK considering how much will likely be left out- I intend to hold my tongue on the criticism (if I even have any ) until I see the EE.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #83
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>PJ... anything angry ever uttered from my mouth about Faramir's chracter- Taken back... all is forgiven. I absolutely adored EE Faramir, he was real and I understood his emotions, choices, and actions whether wrong or right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They still didn't get to his reason for letting the hobbits go, though most of the original Faramir was at least explained/slightly bettered.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:50 PM   #84
Cinderella
Wight

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They still didn't get to his reason for letting the hobbits go, though most of the original Faramir was at least explained/slightly bettered <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think it as clear even before the EE came out why Faramir lets them go. He simply realises what is right and what he should have done from the beginning.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #85
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think it as clear even before the EE came out why Faramir lets them go. He simply realises what is right and what he should have done from the beginning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, but what made him do it? Sam's speech? I don't know about you, but if I just saw a hobbit nearly give the Ring away to a messanger of Sauron, I wouldn't be to quick to send him off alone where I wouldn't be there to shoot an arrow into the 'winged terror'. It just doesn't seem to fit well at all...to me.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #86
Cinderella
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Yes, but what made him do it? Sam's speech? I don't know about you, but if I just saw a hobbit nearly give the Ring away to a messanger of Sauron, I wouldn't be to quick to send him off alone where I wouldn't be there to shoot an arrow into the 'winged terror'. It just doesn't seem to fit well at all...to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would say Sam's speech does have something to do with it, i.e. it helps Faramir see what he knew was right all along. About him not necessarily "trusting" Frodo after he offered the ring to the Wraith I believe that Faramir realizes that he honestly has no choice or say in the matter, all he can do is let them go and tell them which road to take. He knows he cannot go into Mordor with him- it is not his task(and who would want it! other than Sam ) and his duty is to help protect Gondor. Faramir really has not choice but to send Frodo on his way whether he's ok with it or not. What are his other options... give it to denethor? It's safer with Sauron than the Pyro! LOL
Old 12-02-2003, 10:13 PM   #87
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Just my opinion, but...<P>Faramir gets a good look at what the Ring did to Smeagol. "What did they steal?" "...my... PRECIOUSSS!! BLAAAAGH!!!!"<P>Then: contrast the two moments of Ring Exposure that Faramir witnesses. One occurs when Faramir has the ring on the tip of his sword, and Frodo (somewhat entranced) freaks out, snarls, and lurches away-- in a sort of Gollumish 'No, it's mine' gesture. But then, shortly after that, Frodo walks (entranced again but in a different way) dazedly up to a nazgul and waves the ring at him. Neither time was Frodo "in control" of the Ring; it was in control of him. I think Faramir saw that.<P>I think these two moments illustrate what Frodo told Faramir earlier: "The Ring cannot save Gondor; it has only the power to destroy." Destroy what? Isildur; Smeagol; Frodo; Frodo's relationship with Sam; Frodo's tenuous grasp on reality. And Frodo has no army to protect or command, he has only Sam; but he loses his grasp even on that, and waves the ring at the Nazgul.<P>So... "Okay, kid, you're right. Some secret weapon! It destroyed Isildur, it sure wrecked Smeagol, and it's destroying you. I'd rather it didn't destroy Gondor-- and me-- too. So go put it into the cracks of doom, if you can. And good luck lasting that long."
Old 12-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #88
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So... "Okay, kid, you're right. Some secret weapon! It destroyed Isildur, it sure wrecked Smeagol, and it's destroying you. I'd rather it didn't destroy Gondor-- and me-- too. So go put it into the cracks of doom, if you can. And good luck lasting that long."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Whoa, Helen! Great interpretation! The Loony Ring! Touch it and it drives you crazy! I wonder what made Faramir decide that Mad Baggins, his shadow and his gardener might make it instead of himself or one of his Rangers? I kind of wish that Gandalf's influence had been made more prominent and that Frodo had gotten to utter the weary line, "I must take the Ring to the Mountain of Doom. Gandalf said so. I don't think I shall ever get there." And then perhaps echoes of recognition of the Grey Pilgrim in Faramir's speech, a hint that Faramir had been a "wizard's pupil" in the past. That might have linked the two better, for they both share a great respect for Gandalf and his philosophies and advice--this would have set up the great tension between Faramir, Denethor and Gandalf later on as well. Oh well, one can dream! I am holding out hope for Frodo watching the Morgul Host marching towards Faramir scene in ROTK...<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #89
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Ever since the EE came out, I've been drooling over it in the stores and I finally got it for my birthday on the 27th! I watched all of the extended stuff immediately and was immensely relieved. <P>I forgive PJ, for now, for his portrayal of Faramir in the regular TTT. I knew that he wasn't like that from reading the books but it was nice to be able to understand his on-screen character too. I feel for him. Poor Faramir...<P>I applaud all of the new Merry and Pippin footage. PJ did a great job on that. I especially loved the Ent Draught scene, I would have killed PJ if he had left that out.<P>Anyway, I was defintely looking forward to more of what happened to Theodred, the poor boy. His funeral was touching, although the first time I watched it, Eowyn scared me somewhat when she started singing. Also, the added dialogue between Aragorn and Eowyn was good and somewhat light-hearted and appreciated. You get a better understanding of her feelings for him, and his for her.<P>Overall, I thought the EE of TTT was defintely worth the wait and I can't wait to kill (oops, I meant "congratulate") PJ on ROTK. You know he's gonna leave a lot out. *sigh*
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:10 PM   #90
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Just to expand on all my statements above:<P>I do think that the EE greatly helped Faramir's character, & I myself understand the movie version of him a lot better, & like the movie version of him better as well. I just don't think that he's completly salvaged in my book :/.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Eowyn scared me somewhat when she started singing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I still find myself muting it occasionally .<p>[ 10:44 PM December 03, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 12-03-2003, 09:29 PM   #91
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Eowyn scared me somewhat when she started singing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><I>Me too!</I> Aye, and I also found Merry's Treebeard impression a bit disturbing. Oh, yes, and when Pippin started speaking Entish, he reminded me of the Scooby vs. Shaggy fart contest in <I>The Scooby Doo Movie.</I> Oh, I just love the extended TTT. It truly was-and is-a fine work of art! The emotions definitely ran much deeper. It was soul-stirring.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:24 PM   #92
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I too felt a pang of pity towards Faramir. He was such a valiant man, and what did he get in return? The love of his brother, yes, but nothing but reproach from his ungrateful father(sorry, Meela). I'm rather down on Denethor right now, especially since I just got to the part in RotK (book) where he told Gandalf & Pippin he wished he'd sent Faramir to Rivendell in place of Boromir. What a dreadful thing to say! Meela, you're a great person and all, but I just don't know what you see in Denethor.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #93
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

personally i liked the part with Theodreds Funeral. That scene is so beautiful with Eowyn singing as they carry him down into he coffin. And right after that the scene with Theodin and Gandalf " No Parent Should have to bury their child" almost made me cry.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:22 PM   #94
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm rather down on Denethor right now, especially since I just got to the part in RotK (book) where he told Gandalf & Pippin he wished he'd sent Faramir to Rivendell in place of Boromir. What a dreadful thing to say! Meela, you're a great person and all, but I just don't know what you see in Denethor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think his meaness was kind've over-played. I know he was mean & nasty in the books, but I still think it seemed a little over-played...or at least that's MO.