The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This year I've done the Tolkien Toast in the most pleasant and (in)appropriate company.

Agan, Greenie, Lommy, Nog, skip, Rune, Eonwe, Squatter, Legate, Oddwen, Hooky, Bethberry, and yours truly (I hope I haven't missed anyone, but I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly if I have) did not wait till 9:00 but all toasted (and roasted!) the Professor sometime early via Skype. And, to honour the day, we read two chapters, and possibly more after I left.

Once again, happy eleventy-eleventh, Mr. Tolkien!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #42
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf

Happy birthday, Professor!

During the afore mentioned event, we learned that if you ask Hookbill to read the passage in the Window on the West about toasting, you'll have to face the consequences that he may continue the passage with "And then Théodred said..."
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
1420!

"It is the mark of a good fairy-story, of the higher or more complete kind, that however wild its events, however fantastic or terrible the adventures, it can give to child or a man that hears it, when the 'turn' comes, a catch of the breath, a beat and lifting of the heart, near to (or indeed accompanied by) tears, as keen as that given by any form of literary art, and having a peculiar quality.

Even modern fairy-stories can produce this effect sometimes. It is not an easy thing to do; it depends on the whole story which is the setting of the turn, and yet it reflects the glory backwards. A tale that in any measure succeeds in this point has not wholly failed, whatever flaws it may possess, and whatever mixture or confusion of purpose."

J.R.R. Tolkien: "On Fairy Stories"

Happy birthday Mr. Professor, and may your words of ("realism-based") encouragement enlighten our souls!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
And I sadly had to leave with a coughing fit before the readings got underway. What a great way to celebrate The Professor. I love Noggie's quote. I think it's a fascinating glimpse into Tolkien's concept of narrative.

I'm half an hour away from my official toast here.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I shall be raising a glass later in honour of Christopher Tolkien's eighty ninth birthday. Without his efforts we would have far less to talk about here.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #46
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I shall be raising a glass later in honour of Christopher Tolkien's eighty ninth birthday. Without his efforts we would have far less to talk about here.
Hear, hear.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #47
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420! He would have been twelvety-two today!

Don't forget to raise a glass in memory of JRRT at 9pm your time...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #48
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Haven't decided yet if it will be a mug of tea or a snifter of brandy, but I have an hour left to decide.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #49
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

To The Professor

"yet its maker was telling of things already old and weighted with regret, and he expanded his art in making keen that touch upon the heart which sorrows have that are both poignant and remote. If the funeral of Beowulf moved once like the echo of an ancient dirge, far-off and hopeless, it is to us as a memory brought over the hills, an echo of an echo. There is not much poetry in the world like this."

A glass of South African shiraz.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #50
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
"Indeed, he [Frodo] at once began to carry on Bilbo's reputation for oddity. He refused to go into mourning; and the next year he gave a party in honour of Bilbo's hundred-and-twelfth birthday, which he called a Hundred-weight Feast. But that was short of the mark, for twenty guests were invited, and there were several meals at which it snowed food and rained drink, as hobbits say."

-Samuel Adams "White Christmas" brew (a Belgian White ale)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #51
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

We raised glasses of port wine with Lommy, Greenie, Nog, Legate, Kath, Hookbill, Rune, and Oddwen. It was part of our dinner which consisted of tea, cake, scones, seed-cakes, coffee, more cakes, beer, red wine, pies and cheeses, raspberry jam and apple-tart, salad, eggs, cold chicken, and pickles. Some observant individuals may notice that's pretty much what Bilbo served the Dwarves at the Unexpected Party.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #52
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420!

Rather missed the time, but better late than never. The Professor!

"Dear-bought those songs shall be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Ea, and evil yet be good to have been."
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #53
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Thanks to Bethberry' s note on FB, I was able to enjoy a tribute to the man who provided my mythos and the Legendarium in which I remain most comfortable.

Cheers, Professor. Grace and peace.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #54
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A Birthday Toast:

Here’s to Tolkien,
And here’s to you and me.
If perchance we disagree
On Middle-earth canonically,
Hell with you, here’s to Tolkien and me.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #55
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

To the Professor! I raised a glass of Moscato Spumante, together with my husband & sons.
Quote:
man, sub-creator, the refracted light
through whom is splintered from a single White
to many hues, and endlessly combined
in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #56
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Professor!
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #57
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
*raises a cup of tea*
Old 01-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #58
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
1420!

There are two pre-eminent feasts in the Barrow-downer year: Bilbo & Frodo's Birthday and Tolkien's birthday, and the latter of these is upon us. Break out the toasting glasses and something nice to drink this evening.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #59
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I will be toasting with my traditional mimosa.

How about some birthday cakes for the occasion?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #60
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Happy 123rd, Professor.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #61
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Milk for me. Happy birthday, Professor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
How about some birthday cakes for the occasion?
Half of these don't look edible. They're beautiful and creative, but I somehow hesitate to trust any cake that doesn't look like food. I really like the Gondor and Lothlorien inspired ones, though.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #62
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Happy Birthday Prof!

And hail and well met to all the Downers, hope you al have a very Merry New Year

Rumil
Old 01-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #63
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

1420!

A cup of tea, as usual. Prosit!
Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #64
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Professor! * raises a glass of cider *
Old 01-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #65
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
There are two pre-eminent feasts in the Barrow-downer year: Bilbo & Frodo's Birthday and Tolkien's birthday, and the latter of these is upon us. Break out the toasting glasses and something nice to drink this evening.
Huzzah and so forth!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #66
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Tolkien On mathom day

To the Professor!

(And because of the requisite time of the toast, I could raise but a glass of goodly dihydrogen monoxide.)

And as for my quote, well, 'tis a newish one. Let's see if any can identify it.

"Let us rather be glad that we have come suddenly upon a storehouse of those popular imaginings that we had feared lost, stocked with stories not yet sophisticated into a sense of proportion, with no thought of the decent limits of exaggeration, with no sense (or certainly not our sense) of the incongruous, unless, as we may at times suspect, incongruity is delighted in."
Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #67
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A day late, thanks to binge-watching Outlander with Pitchwife-Wife, but nevertheless: *raises bottle of Czech beer*

The Professor! To adventures we seek and to those that seek us, to things fair and terrible, vast and small; to mountains and mushrooms, silmarils and cooking-pots; to chamber music and songs at the campfire; to the stories we weave to make sense of our lives and the world we live in, and to language, that many-faced glass through which we view the world and ourselves and never stop discovering new facets.