The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 4 - Chapter 09 - Shelob’s Lair

One of the things I noticed right from the start in this chapter is the role that darkness plays - that, and the constant presence of the characteristic smell. Both elements are described several times, showing the increasing proximity of danger for Frodo and Sam. However, even had they known the nature of the danger, they had no choice but to go on. Gollum’s absence leaves them without any orientation, but their strength and heroism are shown, all the more impressive because of the bleakness of their situation.

They find help in the objects they carry with them – Galadriel’s phial, the sword Sting, and the staff given by Faramir. It is used rather differently than intended here, and Sam’s staff at least ends up breaking, but it also saves his life. Having been more aware of it and its function through our discussion this time, I have resolved to keep my eyes open for any mention of Frodo's staff in the coming chapters. Did anyone else notice that Galadriel’s name seems to daunt Shelob more than Eärendil’s does? And Sting is definitely more effective, shown by the cutting of the web, than Sam’s “normal” sword.

Shelob is described and her history told – what do you find most interesting or scary about her?

Gollum’s treachery is shown by his separation of the two hobbits through his attack on Sam. He has succeeded in finding a way to keep the letter of his promise in letting Shelob kill Frodo, while he takes care of Sam.

This is definitely one of the most exciting chapters of the book, full of action, and those who found the Frodo and Sam plotline boring earlier are sure to have rejoined us by now. Tell us what you think of the descriptions, characters, and happenings!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In Esty's considered opinion,
Shelob and all her minions
are daunted the more
by the Lady of yore
than the brightest star in the heavens!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Anyway, one thing that really stood out to me was how Sam praised Frodo for his heroic act of chasing Shelob away, saying that it would go down in song. Little did he know that his own actions in the following moments would completely overshadow those of Master Frodo!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
To be dead honest, I was terrified going into this chapter (although, bad me, I haven't read it in some two years or so). I've always loved Tolkien's chapter titles, but this one creeped me out. Given that I'd read The Hobbit a very short time before first reading the LotR, I remembered Bilbo calling the Mirkwood spiders "lazy lobs". That was my first hint as to the contents. Given Gollum's mentions of "she", I took an educated guess. And my arachnophobic brother's dire warnings of "you're going to absolutely hate this chapter" started to clue me in that I was right.

Did anybody else know what this chapter was about before ever reading it?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dűm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
The First time I remember hearing this chapter I had some susspicion what I was getting into, and like your arachnophobic brother said, Feanor, I wasn't going to like it.
The First time my father read The Lord of the Rings to me we got as far as this chapter before I was to scared for him to continue reading it (keep in mind I was about 6yrs old at the time). Three years later when he read it to my brother and I again one of the three things I remember was that there was a HUGE-AND-TERRIFYING-SPIDER. To my 9yr old self though Shelob wasn't as bad as I remembered, and while Shelob still creeps me out (I really do hate spiders) this chapter has since become one of my favorites.

Unfortunately I haven't read this chapter recently enough to really discuss it, but I'm now interested in this 'Galadriel's v. Eärendil’s' name thing that Estelyn mentions so don't be surprised if I reread and come back to speak further.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
This chapter freaked me out as well. I have re-read it so often and yet...Each time I come to this chapter I take a few precautions. First of all I try not to read it by night. Second of all I try to read it when I am NOT Home alone. Third of all, I make sure I have some re-assuring music at hand.

On thing that makes this chapter creepy apart from the description of Shelob is the way the tension builds. Also when Sam and Frodo make it through Shelob's lair you think they are safe. But no, Shelob catches them outside. That fact always catches me offguard and I don't like it.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've never been scared of spiders, and I've been close to some very hairy tarantulas and large tropical jumping spiders, but when I first read the books I found this a truly frightening chapter. I think there is definitely something of the horror film conveyed here; the overly large, human eating bug is a well used motif in horror and sci-fi. I think it resonates with our basic fears that in general spiders and insects are not wholly safe creatures, and are to be avoided. Even if we don't have that fear, the idea of a huge, ravenous, murderous creature who only desires to kill us is one that will give us a thrill of fear.

Quote:
Monstrous and abominable eyes they were, bestial and yet filled with purpose and with hideous delight, gloating over their prey trapped beyond all hope of escape.
Shelob appears to be a real spider - the other week I was looking at a dead spider through a magnifying glass and could see its many faceted eyes. But she is also an evil spider, one with purpose and intent, which adds to the scary image of her; all spiders are fairly ruthless predators, but cannot be said to be evil as it is their nature. To have a sentient, hungry, giant spider is surely one of the ultimate nightmares?

Quote:
she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, bastards of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood.
And what is worse, she has offspring...
Old 05-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Could someone explain this?

Quote:
And sometimes as a man may cast a dainty to his cat (his cat he calls her, but she owns him not)...
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
The Elf-warrior Could someone explain this?

Quote:
And sometimes as a man may cast a dainty to his cat (his cat he calls her, but she owns him not)...
I think 'owns' in this context is 'archaic' & means 'owns up to'/acknowleges - ie, he calls her his cat, but she doesn't acknowledge his ownership of her.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I think 'owns' in this context is 'archaic' & means 'owns up to'/acknowleges - ie, he calls her his cat, but she doesn't acknowledge his ownership of her.
The play on words could go even further and mean that while he calls her his cat in terms of ownership, not only does he not belong to her, but she also does not even acknowledge his existence. A familiar thing with moggies.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Expanding on what Hilde said here:
Quote:
But another curious thing to me was that Tolkien writes that Sméagol/Gollum had bowed down and worshipped Shelob. I understand why Gollum might be mentioned but why is Sméagol named here? Is this a hint about his basic nature?
Quote:
Already, years before, Gollum had beheld her, Smeagol who pried into all dark holes, and in past days he had bowed and worshipped her, and the darkness of her evil will walked through all the ways of his weariness beside him, cutting him off from light and from regret.
It seems to me that what this is saying is that Gollum beheld her and bowed down and worshipped her, whereas Sméagol was the part who rooted around in the dark tunnels and such. The commas would seem to indicate that the "Smeagol...dark holes" part of the sentence is separate. I would take this further and say that this would imply that it is Gollum, not Smeagol per se, who is involved with Shelob, and this would make sense bearing in mind Smeagol's almost-redemption after coming back from Shelob. Also of interest: the use of the name Smeagol here would seem to be important. The only time Tolkien uses Smeagol in the narrative is when it is essential to distinguish between Gollum and Smeagol, such as when they are talking to each other. "Smeagol" is used almost wholly in diaglogue.

Also posted by Hilde:
Quote:
Another facet that adds to the disturbing mood of the chapter is the “fey mood” Sam feels his master is in, after freeing himself of the tunnel. Sam does seem the only grounded thing in the whole surreal episode, and by the end he also seems so dreadfully alone.
I found this very odd. Frodo tends to be a clear-headed character, especially as the book progresses. Even when he does 'lose it,' it tends to be more along the lines of panic (cf. The Shadow of the Past). This fey mood seems very out of character for Frodo, and feels very ominous and disturbing - especially after his excellent display of courage in facing Shelob in the tunnel. I suppose this would be the release of the tension of Torech Ungol, but it still feels very disturbing.

The final point I would like to make concerns Gollum's plan. Compare these two quotes, only a paragraph apart from each other:
Quote:
Everything had gone wrong with his beautiful plan, since that horrible light had so unexpectedly appeared in the darkness. And now he was face to face with a furious enemy, little less than his own size. This fight was not for him.
Quote:
...the thought of Frodo and the monster smote upon Sam's mind. He spun round, and rushed wildly up the path, calling and calling his master's name. He was too late. So far Gollum's plot had succeeded.
Now, these would seem to contradict each other: first everything had gone wrong, but suddenly it is succeeding? I think the difference may be in the perspective. As far as Gollum can tell, nothing is going right. He had not accounted for the Phial, and he made the mistake of underestimating Sam. However, if the whole picture is looked at, Gollum's plot really was working, if not in the way he intended. Even if not inside the tunnel, he had managed to keep Frodo separate from Sam (and Frodo from the Phial), allowing Shelob to have her way with Frodo, which was really Gollum's hope, because Frodo had the Ring. He wanted Sam dead, of course, if more for personal reasons, but the Ring was his real goal here. Perhaps also the difference is in the wording: his plan failed, but his plot was succeeding. If all continued as was going, his ultimate goal would be achieved even if it hadn't gone according to his plan.

Oh, yes, and what a lovely note to end the chapter on: "He was too late. So far Gollum's plot had succeeded."
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Rereading this chapter, the thing that struck me that hadn't struck ne before was the fact that the spawn of Ungoliant facing off against a remnant of the Light of the Trees can hardly have been a coincidence, but how much was it planned? This FEELS like the whole purpose of including the Phial in the story, but which story element came first? Memory is fallible and I haven't looked it up, but I want to say the Phial came first.