The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2002, 01:59 PM   #41
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*Chants*<BR>GLORFINDEL! GLORFINDEL! GLORFINDEL!
Old 03-16-2002, 03:38 PM   #42
lamarquise

Sting

Have to agree with most of you. Arwen would have been just fine if Aragorn had realized she was coming and hailed her. And if she'd been smart enough just to keep going past the ford. Give her some intelligence and dignity, for heaven's sake, and without detracting from other characters! It is possible to be sympathetic and caring without overdramatizing things. Had Arwen been understated a little, I think she would have come off much better. The handling of her character was rather thoughtless. And the quote from Ebert was spot on--these movies are supposed to be about hobbits! It wouldn't have ruined the movie to focus more on them!<P>I hope Arwen doesn't show up in Rohan. If so, they'll be ruining one of the only female characters in LOTR. Eowyn should not have to compete with Arwen for warrior-princess honors.
Old 03-16-2002, 04:25 PM   #43
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
lamarquise, you are spot on yourself.<P>I've heard rumor that Arwen will not be playing any more "warrior-princess" parts in the movie. PJ and crew have decided that didn't come across very well, though they lay the credit at Liv Tyler's door, and not their own mishandling of the plot flow, staging and writing.