The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #1
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Boromir's Back!

I loved Sean Bean as Boromir. I was wondering if anyone else here is excited that he will be in TTT and possibly RotK? (in flashbacks).<P>In case some of you haven't heard, and have no idea what it is I'm talking about, Sean is in NZ filming scenes for TTT.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

you have completely made my day! boromir is my favorite character from both the movie and the books - a flawed human who works his way through to do the right thing in the end. and as for sean bean -- an ever-favorite actor of mine!!!!!!<P>but . . . i thought all the movies were already done?! so how can he be filming for the TT in NZ now? please convince me this is true!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:49 AM   #3
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Sting

Their contract doesn't end for a while yet...so PJ can yoink them for more filming anytime he wants! Muahahahahahaahhaaaaaaaaa....
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PJ really is the Eye of Sauron.... and just as evil.... J/K.<BR>I have heard this before and thought it was a rumor untill I saw it on TheOneRing. He is my absoulute favoret cherecter and Sean Bean portrayed him wonderfully. This made my day too.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
Ainalondwen
Pile O'Bones

Ainalondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

YAY!<P>I thought Sean Bean did so well as Boromir (even if I did think "Sharpe, Sharpe" throughout the film)<P>I had a feeling that they would have a flashback.

Read Feist
Ainalondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:55 PM   #6
TheWindsorStar
Pile O'Bones

TheWindsorStar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well that's pretty cool. I used to really dislike Boromir, but now he's kind of grown on me. He's all right. But his brother's still way better!
Old 04-26-2002, 03:56 PM   #7
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Yeah, I absolutely loved Sean as Boromir. I love Sean Bean anyway (he was great in Goldeneye), and I started screaming and yelling when I found out. I was so excited, I could barely type the info to my friend I was IMing! <P>The two other movies are filmed for the most part, but all of the actors are under contract to go back to NZ at any time until the last movie is released in order to redo scenes, or film new ones. All the Boromir scenes are for flashbacks.<P>I also know that Sean Astin and Elijah Wood are going back to film new scenes for TTT. They're supposed to go this summer. Sean is already there.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:34 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir's back? So what's he supposed to say: "I'm not dead yet."? <P>Geez, I hope they don't do some cheesy "Star-War-ish" scene with Boromir smilin' down from Valhalla or something.<p>[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 07:34 AM   #9
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

My guess is it may have something to do with his journey to Rivendell, or perhaps from the times before...We don't know, because they haven't said. But I don't think it will be anything like that. They said it would be flashbacks, so we'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:34 AM   #10
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also have the fear about the blue hazed Star Wars effect.<BR>Sean Bean rocks though, I met him years ago and he was really nice, although much more interested in talking to my bonny mate than me, despite being married to Melanie Hill at that time.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:51 AM   #11
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Thats great news that Boromir will be back i wonder in wat scenes (can anyone tell me) and i think he will only be overshadowed in the TTT by his brother Faramir!!!<P>
Old 04-27-2002, 08:53 AM   #12
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahh .. the merging of Two great classic epics into one, a perfect compliment to each other. That would make my day. <I>*misty eyed</I><P>But seriously where will they write in the character of Boromir other that in references or is Bean getting into other roles as well.<P>Aaooogaah !
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 09:57 AM   #13
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

No he's not playing other characters. He is playing Boromir, in flashbacks to when he was alive. They aren't releasing any information as to what exactly the scenes would be, but it's not so far-fetched, as he was aluded to in both TTT and RotK books.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:44 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

omg!! now that you have confirmed the possibility of bean and boromir back, i am beside myself with impatience!<P>actually, i was hoping bean would slim down a little and be back as faramir!<P>did you see the essex boys?
Old 04-27-2002, 03:51 PM   #15
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Yes. Try Stormy Monday for very young, very pretty (and me in the background!!!!!)<BR>Unfortunately you get Melanie Griffith as 50% extra free.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:04 PM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Remember they have to build Faramir, Boromir and Denethor's relationship to prepare for the madness of Denethor in the RotK. They can't just have Tolkien break in and tell us about Boromir being Denethor's favorite, how different the two are, and the close relationship between Gandalf and Faramir. <P>I think it's Faramir who will have flashbacks of his brother.<P>Hey, this could be good. Do you think they'll show the loss of the bridges at Osgiliath, as a means to demonstrate Denethor's pride in his older son, and tendency to dismiss the younger?
Old 04-27-2002, 05:57 PM   #17
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They could just have Sean Bean a little different in the face and use him as Faramir.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:58 PM   #18
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

That's what I was thinking (about Faramir having flashbacks). I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything leaks out. I'm a member of a S.B. newsletter, so I will let you guys know as soon as I find out anything.<P>I haven't seen Essex Boys yet, but did you see Don't Say a Word? <I>*drools*</I>
Old 04-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #19
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

That's a good idea, though it would definitely have to be in RotK. We meet Faramir in TTT, so maybe the flashbacks (if any?) will be then. In Henneth Annûn maybe? Flashbacks would introduce Denethor earlier also. Unfortunately I don't remember seeing Minas Tirith as extra scenes added to FotR in the long edition DVD - so we won't see Denethor in FotR nor will we learn of his dislike of Gandalf until RotK. That FotR Minas Tirith scene was too short. Not even a shot of the White Tree banner up in the White Tower.
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:05 PM   #20
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

I don't know if Boromir will be in RotK for sure, but I do know that he will be in The Two Towers. This has already been confirmed. It's a good idea in theory for Bean to play Faramir also, but I don't really think it would work on screen. I would still see him as Boromir, and that takes away and cheats the character of Faramir.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:16 PM   #21
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved Sean Bean in 'Ronin.' Boyfriend has seen him more often than I. As soon as he caught sight of Bean in Rivendell he whispered "That character's gonna buy it. That's Sean Bean. He dies in everything."<P>I agree about Minas Tirith. More, more-!<P>Re: Sean Bean playing both roles: Have you seen the guy who plays Faramir? My god, they <I>do</I> look like brothers. I could see Frodo gasping at first glance - and then noticing slightly softer features, a different manner..
Old 04-28-2002, 02:27 AM   #22
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

When Faramir showed up I had to do a double take, my dad was laughing.... the people were glaring at him, laughing at the TTT trailer? How dare he
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Old 04-30-2002, 02:01 PM   #23
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Pippin and Merry hold Boromir in very high regard. It was him, after all who dug them out of the snow on Caradhas (can't spell it without the book in front of me) and perhaps that'll turn up as one of the flashbacks as it wasn't in Fellowship?
Old 04-30-2002, 02:53 PM   #24
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

boromir is stupid<P><BR>AHH! don't hurt me!<P><BR>
Old 04-30-2002, 03:03 PM   #25
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

gollum*elf*pup you are treading thin ground...... obvously this thread would contain Boromir fans yet you felt the need to say you didn't like him... not wise... I dont plan on hurting you but others may.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:38 PM   #26
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

What? You mean, i won't have to suffer through the next two movies w/o my favorite character after all? Huzz-ZAH, and there will be much rejoicing.<P>This is indeed great news, especially as it comes after having given a speech last night attempting to prove that Boromir qualifies as a Tragic Hero (requiring me to see the movie AGAIN before giving speech, to be sure i had all the facts correctly) i am certainly putting some money on Pippin's character development as a result of this -- i expect a "passing of the torch" as it were when Pip takes service w/ Denethor.<P>Also it's gratifying to know i'm not the only one thinking that Bean playing both brothers would have been interesting to see. (Oh well, it would have made flashbacks difficult anyway. Bring on those flashbacks!)<P>Saxony Tarn<BR>(the few, the proud, Boromir's fans...)
Old 04-30-2002, 10:09 PM   #27
White Rider

Tolkien

Greetings,<P>For those who have read TTT, you should remember that Faramir, after capturing/rescuing Frodo and Sam, questions them closely about who they were and what they were doing in Ithilien. When Faramir learns of the relationship of the halflings to Boromir, he tells them of the dream he had of Boromir in the boat, clad in the Elven cloak, with his vanquished enemies weapons and the cloven horn. Sean confirmed that he was in a dream sequence, and that 'he wasn't in very good shape.' Knowing PJ, he'll spook the dung out of us with his version of that! So, that footage was shot. What they are doing now may only be guessed at, but the setting up of the relationship of Denethor with his two sons is certainly a possibility.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:21 AM   #28
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

I'm glad to see that there are many who are as excited as I am that Boromir will be in the Two Towers. <P>And you're right, Araen, gollum*elf*pup is treading on thin ground. <I>*Nufaciel picks up bow and starts shooting arrows at gollum*elf*pup, hitting him in the rear with one*</I>
Old 05-02-2002, 12:51 PM   #29
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Yes, Boromir is a tragic hero. A tragic hero must have a fatal flaw in his personality which leads to his destruction. He's very flawed in his Pride for Gondor etc and it does bring about his downfall because he does not seek the ring for himself but the people of Gondor. His loyalty to father and country are his destruction. (As well as a mightily cheesed off Uruk Hai)
Old 05-02-2002, 02:27 PM   #30
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
hey, no offence meant, i'm just JOKING! thogh, i've always wanted to be shot in the butt!
Old 05-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #31
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

<B>Auriel:</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yes. Try Stormy Monday for very young, very pretty (and me in the background!!!!!)<BR>Unfortunately you get Melanie Griffith as 50% extra free. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you are in the background? <P>just discovered the dangerous joys of ebay:<BR>am bidding on 2 sean bean movies &(does a big happy dance!) just won the bid for a complete copy of the FOTR script with the original sig by sean bean on the front <p>[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-04-2002, 08:43 PM   #32
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That's cool that Sean's going back to do mroe filming. Need to get to new Zealand somehow and take a Crash Stalker Course. Yeah.<P>Aaaanyways, I have this bad feeling that they might portray Boromir as a bad guy goody-goody who always gets patted on the head by his father, etc. and Faramir gets seen as a victim. THAT would make me sick, because the appendices state very clearly that Boromir and Faramir never rivaled, even for their father's appreciation. But it's very likely, I think that--although the movie was awesome--they changed just one too many things for my liking. I don't know. Maybe I'm just beign paraniod. <P>I really love Boromir, and whoever it was who came into a Boromir chat thingy and said that Boromir is stupid is definatley, um, how shall I put this: asking for it?? Drat, I forget who it was. Not wise, my friend, not wise. Boromir kicks arse! How can you not like someone who would die for you? THAT is stupid.<P>~Lanniae